As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    My son often gets confused for a girl because we dress him in colourful clothes. He has peach coloured leggings with ice creams on them.

Would totally have bought him a pink sun hat which had dinosaurs on it if they had the right size.

Boys clothes are generally so dull, at least in England.

We completely ignore the gender of clothes for our kids, which is admittedly fairly easy when we've got girls

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Agree.

But Ellie is now getting opinions on clothes. So I'm seeing a lot more purple and pink and rainbow

But her school uniform is blue and navy and yellow.

She's much like her mom and we'll wear must any colour. But she seems to avoid reds and greens

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter's favorite color is "Orange, Red, Pink, and Rainbow". Thanks for nailing that down for me kid. :)

She tends to favor pink when she chooses her own clothes, so I think I figured it out.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    My son often gets confused for a girl because we dress him in colourful clothes. He has peach coloured leggings with ice creams on them.

Would totally have bought him a pink sun hat which had dinosaurs on it if they had the right size.

Boys clothes are generally so dull, at least in England.

We completely ignore the gender of clothes for our kids, which is admittedly fairly easy when we've got girls

My daughter wants me to get the Spider-Man or Hulk pullups so badly but they're designed for boy parts so grrrrr.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Real talk, our ridiculous child is wearing 12-18m clothes at 6m. Canadians! Or maybe Americans! I summon thee! Can anyone tell me where I can get some kids footie pyjamas with snaps in that size? Preferably online?

Carter’s snaps footies are great, but for some reason they stop at 9m sizes.

That was our kid. Until she hit 4 she was always the biggest kid in her age group. Pretty sure we just switched her to zippers. Which was for the best because snaps are awful.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Real talk, our ridiculous child is wearing 12-18m clothes at 6m. Canadians! Or maybe Americans! I summon thee! Can anyone tell me where I can get some kids footie pyjamas with snaps in that size? Preferably online?

That was our kid. Until she hit 4 she was always the biggest kid in her age group. Pretty sure we just switched her to zippers. Which was for the best because snaps are awful.

I find snaps super useful if I want to open up pajamas, open up a diaper, and discover a diaper is full of poop. Because then I just de-diaper. With zips I then have to zip my child back up into a poo-sausage, so I can *unzip* them at the bottom.

Hence, I like snaps.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I salute you folks dealing with long hair styles for your kids, when with my oldest boy, its like "I think we washed your hair this month? Maybe?"

I always found Carter’s sizing to be pretty small with my giant babies.

Pekkle brand from Costco is good. Joe Fresh from super store may work, and also old navy. PK Beans is a nice Canadian brand with high quality stuff.

Is there a reason you want snaps instead of zips?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Corvus wrote: »
    I salute you folks dealing with long hair styles for your kids, when with my oldest boy, its like "I think we washed your hair this month? Maybe?"

Pekkle brand from Costco is good. Joe Fresh from super store may work, and also old navy. PK Beans is a nice Canadian brand with high quality stuff.

See above, but basically, snaps have saved me a couple of times from an infant covered in poo. They also seem to be wider in the leg, generally? We got a couple of 12m zips from Carter’s, and getting his legs into the leg holes, especially on the side the zip didn’t open, was a struggle - possibly because he has podgy legs, but there we are.

ETA: I tried putting him into some 12m Carter’s zip ups, and it did not go well. I guess they’re designed for slightly longer, skinnier babies. Getting his arms in the sleeves really was like stuffing a sausage, and I literally could not get his feet in the legs at all.

Realising what I like about snaps is that they’re easy to put on...

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    I put my kids to bed at 8pm. My son woke up at 10 and 11 crying for no particular reason. Got him to sleep both times, then crashed myself.

He then woke up at 2am and 3am, the latter time having me unable to get him back to sleep. So, we've both been up since 3am. Today was rough to say the least.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Rant about school below. Just.. oof. I am getting so annoyed by people making arbitrary decisions
    NYC opened schools in the fall when a lot of major school districts did not. They made a lot of rules to make the teachers feel safe, and there was almost no guidance so they made some good rules, made some rules that later made no sense, and did what they could. This was good for me, since my kids.. did not do well when schools closed last year. My work closed last March, but opened over the summer, so it was either take a lot of time off or have them go to school. My son has a special education teacher, and now gets Occupation Therapy which do not work on Zoom. I tried. Every time the schools close I try. I am just happy I can get him to do the bare minimum, and he is not doing well. My daughter does OK in remote classes, but needs a lot more oversight than we can give while working and taking care of my son.
    One of the rules that makes no sense is the two-case rule. Regardless of the size of the building, regardless of the number of students, regardless of.. well, anything, if a building has two cases of covid, it closes. Well, not exactly- two unrelated case. So if it can be shown that there was somehow spread in the school, then the building would remain open. Yep.
    Some schools are co-located- my daughter's school building has grades 2nd-12th for her school, and there is another middle school 6-8 located in the same building. If one high-schooler from her school, and one middle-schooler from the other school in her building test positive, the whole building is closed for ten days.
    And it's like I'm taking crazy pills with how much people are clinging to this rule. Look, NYC is going to keep closing classrooms for cases in the classroom. They are going to regularly test students. Teachers have had access to the vaccine since January (That's when I qualified, too. I was able to easily secure an appointment, and my MIL waited half a week and was able to secure a weekend appointment). Students can opt-in to fully remote at any time. And people are acting like getting rid of the two-case rule would mean that NYC is just throwing caution into the wind, and wants to get rid of all precautions.
    I get that we are lucky that our schools opened at all. But when they keep getting sent home for a rule that doesn't keep anybody safe, I just get frustrated. This week is Spring Break. We were going to keep the kids home. But their school closed the weeks before, they lost their structure from school, and we got behind at work. So we signed them up for Spring Break camp near my work. And guess what! That widened their bubble, and they are exposed to new people that they wouldn't have been to before. I trust that the camp is safe (especially since they can sit together), but it's nonsensical for people to think that if schools are closed, people are just.. staying home? And you can't even plan for it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options

See above, but basically, snaps have saved me a couple of times from an infant covered in poo. They also seem to be wider in the leg, generally? We got a couple of 12m zips from Carter’s, and getting his legs into the leg holes, especially on the side the zip didn’t open, was a struggle - possibly because he has podgy legs, but there we are.

ETA: I tried putting him into some 12m Carter’s zip ups, and it did not go well. I guess they’re designed for slightly longer, skinnier babies. Getting his arms in the sleeves really was like stuffing a sausage, and I literally could not get his feet in the legs at all.

Realising what I like about snaps is that they’re easy to put on...

Huh, I find snaps harder when the baby is wriggly. Ours has started wanting to turn over on the change table, which is exciting

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Not going to lie. We got Kate’s hair cut to just past shoulder length due to her constantly dunking it in food and fighting us when we tried to tie it back with hair ties or braids. So far her hair isn’t matted at the end of the day with whatever she ate.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Welp, the baby is making forward progress now, time to put the baby gate up on the stairs.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Someone tell me I'm not crazy. My partner is very upset that the kid might not believe in the Easter Bunny because we didn't properly plan the hiding of the chocolate eggs. I told her that school doesn't tell him that there's a mythical bunny and there's no parade, meet&greets and whatever else we have fabricated to make kids believe in Santa (or Sinterklaas if you're The Netherlands/Belgium). I kept coming up with more arguments why the kid never did believe in the Easter bunny, but she's still upset. She argued that we might as well skip Christmas if we're this inconsistent and I just got a headache.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    We have a lot of drama because it's the Easter Bunny in the UK but the church bells on France. So Burpette has been screaming all morning because the Easter Bunny doesn't have a well defined time it arrives ("just before lunch" isn't good enough, while "when the church bells ring" is fine)

Child logic is confusing.

If you want to skip the mythology about chocolate delivery methods I don't think anybody should be too bothered. Provided you're not training your kids to scream "the chocolate comes from the shops, that's why Tesco sells eggs!" at other kids.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Someone tell me I'm not crazy. My partner is very upset that the kid might not believe in the Easter Bunny because we didn't properly plan the hiding of the chocolate eggs. I told her that school doesn't tell him that there's a mythical bunny and there's no parade, meet&greets and whatever else we have fabricated to make kids believe in Santa (or Sinterklaas if you're The Netherlands/Belgium). I kept coming up with more arguments why the kid never did believe in the Easter bunny, but she's still upset. She argued that we might as well skip Christmas if we're this inconsistent and I just got a headache.

Here in the states Easter is basically Christmas 1.5. it's an excuse for a big meal and gift giving and candy.

We hid some eggs after Ripley went to sleep and they led her to her easter basket which was exciting.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    Easter is more low-key since people blew a ton of money just four months prior so it kinda scales down things to some candy and a few small toys.

We got my niece two baskets, one from Mommy and Daddy, and one I put together from the Easter Bunny. She also only gets one gift from Santa so she knows that there are in fact people spending time and money on her.

I was never told the Easter Bunny hid the eggs thougn; just filled the basket.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Me reading this:
    Welp, the baby is making forward progress now,

Oh, well that's good to hear . . .
    time to put the baby gate up on the stairs.

Oh no, that kind of forward progress.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    If his brother is anything to go by, he’s going to get up and walk in three months.

• Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    Easter is more low-key since people blew a ton of money just four months prior so it kinda scales down things to some candy and a few small toys.

We got my niece two baskets, one from Mommy and Daddy, and one I put together from the Easter Bunny. She also only gets one gift from Santa so she knows that there are in fact people spending time and money on her.

I was never told the Easter Bunny hid the eggs thougn; just filled the basket.

Yeah I'm not sure what the actual tradition is. My parents weren't religious so I never had anything to do with what Easter is actually supposed to be about. But, I knew of egg hunts and stuff so I figured I'd just do some riff on that.

I hid one egg on her nightstand and then one at her door and then you could follow the trail downstairs which led her to her basket on the fireplace. It was a lot of fun to watch and she kept flipping out she was so excited.

Highly reccomend this approach.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We got the kids some candy and one of those LED drawing pads and holy shit those things are going to save me a fortune in scratch paper and markers, 10/10 would recommend, especially because they're dirt cheap.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm Jewish, my husband is agnostic.

My kid still understands the Easter bunny as a concept. Even if we never "teach" it. The concept is everywhere in kids cartoons and school and daycare and Christian friends.

I don't teach Santa, and Santa is still known about.

If you live anywhere with a Christian majority or history, the kid will eventually pick up on the "existence" of the mythical creatures.

• Options
    Another point we learned about Easter is that me and my partner need to fucking communicate about what we buy Ripley. She ended up with way way too much loot.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Personally @djmitchella's annual Easter hunt eggstravaganzas are just about perfect. Great kids entertainment thematically aligned to the holiday, no bunny myth or religious overtones, just a great family activity everyone looks forward to every year.

Highly recommended reading material if you're looking for Easter inspiration. It doesn't take a lot of money, but it does take time and preparation. I keep meaning to try it myself now the kids are a bit older, but I was too disorganized this year with work and anniversary/birthdays.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    My household growing up was reasonably religious, but the bunny stuff was always distinct from the Jesus stuff; they both just happened on the same day.

For us as kids, the Easter basket was always somewhere in the house to find when we woke up Sunday morning. Then after church we’d go to some Aunt/Uncle’s house (or host at our place) have a big late lunch, then half the parents would go out and hide eggs while the other half cleaned up. Kids went out, found eggs, had a great time.

For our kids, we kind of... forgot to prep a basket. But we did the egg hunt in the yard! That kinda counts!

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My 22 month old has just started to refuse food or be really picky.

He's also started being really fussy when we put him down to sleep, taking multiple attempts to get him to stay in bed.

Is this just a phase?

He's usually really good with eating.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Everything is a phase. But keep in mind that children's preferences in food change wildly every few months. So stuff they love now suddenly taste like horse manure and vice versa. He has to try his food, but it's OK if he really doesn't like the taste or texture of something. Next time you cook it he'll have to try again, though. Sleep is always weird, dunno how far from the equator you are, but the longer days are doing a number on my kid's night time routine. Keep at it, you're doing fine.

• Options
    Stay strong when they want something other than what you made. You don't want to end up making two meals each night.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Stay strong when they want something other than what you made. You don't want to end up making two meals each night.

I mean, kind of this, but also our three year old definitely still has issues with successfully eating some foods, and so we just automatically make something else cause I don't want to be fishing out mostly chewed hamburger so I can brush her teeth.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Here in the states Easter is basically Christmas 1.5. it's an excuse for a big meal and gift giving and candy.
    Sterica wrote: »
    Easter is more low-key since people blew a ton of money just four months prior so it kinda scales down things to some candy and a few small toys

My time working retail electronics opened my eyes to the various degrees some people go to for Easter.

For me, my Easter basket usually had some small-medium toy in it... like whatever Super Soaker was popular that year or something else play-outside related. (Something that wouldn’t have fit for Xmas, because who wants to get a new squirt gun then be told “no you can’t play with it for 4 months”)

As we got older that changed to a movie or cd that we really wanted in our basket. We didn’t buy a lot of movies, so it was a big deal to actually get one to own instead of renting.

At work, I saw parents that seemed to be on the scale of my own (buying maybe a DS/3DS game to add to an Easter basket) and then some that took it way beyond; I had multiple parents across multiple years that did things like “yeah, we got him the wii for Christmas but now his friends play 360, so we’re getting him that for Easter”

I guess the point of this rant is that I feel like I kind of had an internal scale for how “big” of a gift could be under the Xmas tree, but the scale for how “big” an Easter basket can be varied wildly.

• Options
    We got my daughter a bird feeder that hangs from her bedroom window.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

Really hoping this is part of the Easter gift conversation and not the kids food-preference conversation.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

Really hoping this is part of the Easter gift conversation and not the kids food-preference conversation.

. . .gonna get a bird feeder and fill it with broccoli next time my kid is pretending to be a bird. We'll see how this goes.

• Options
    So Easter Tuesday is a day off from school here.

Why, I don't know. But it is

This morning my kid has made be breakfast (a cut up peach and a bowl of muesli), done some online learning by herself, been watching videos about measles and the immune system, practicing her numbers 5 and 2, and writing down the weather. Oh and drawing B Cells and antibodies.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am legitimately shocked about the gift giving thing for Easter.

We got, some vague talk about the Easter bunny (I stopped believing in Santa when I was like six so the bunny didn’t stand a chance) and Easter eggs. That was it. And thinking about my friends, we saw some people around Easter but I never remembered any gifts other than chocolate being received.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Personally @djmitchella's annual Easter hunt eggstravaganzas are just about perfect. Great kids entertainment thematically aligned to the holiday, no bunny myth or religious overtones, just a great family activity everyone looks forward to every year.

Highly recommended reading material if you're looking for Easter inspiration. It doesn't take a lot of money, but it does take time and preparation. I keep meaning to try it myself now the kids are a bit older, but I was too disorganized this year with work and anniversary/birthdays.

Here's this year's hunt: (2020, 2019, 2018)

As usual, we took a photo, got it printed out as a jigsaw, and hid the pieces in various places:
    GaYngYD.jpg

Kids solved it:
    TZUg1VN.jpg

and the final image is this:
    KA5u7TE.jpg?1

which is the outside tap that our garden hose connects to. So once they'd solved the puzzle and worked out what it was a picture of, they could head out to the tap:
    Q086V8N.jpg

where they found a bag containing two of these labyrinth gift boxes that I'd 3d printed. Solving those:
    GCgKOQg.jpg

revealed two bits of paper:
    Uj0JNXx.jpg

which, when put one on top of the other:
    CskVpUv.jpg

said "LAUNDRY BASKET":
    pjeuohp.jpg

Finding that bit of paper:
    igFMg9K.jpg

contained this crossword / code:
    Azh53DK.jpg

which, once they solved it:
    GRMvkNx.jpg

revealed the solution was:
    Zy03QNr.jpg

"look in the oven":
    BHp3GFH.jpg

In the oven was this puzzle:
    jjlKYkd.jpg

which makes sense once you know that my wife'd been knitting a scarf every week for the year since the first lockdown and yarnbombing a tree in front of our house:
    jccEq3X.jpg

so once the kids had worked out that numbers <-> letters with 1-A..26-Z, the answer was "SHOWER":
    x6A4d5P.jpg

In the shower:
    90Djw6X.jpg

was this clue:
    P82wOzZ.jpg

which refers to the shed/office that my wife built last summer so she'd have a place to work with the kids at home.

Now, at this point, this type of riddle has traditionally been the end of the hunt.

But this year, betrayal! Someone had made their way into the shed already, eaten some chocolate, kidnapped the baskets, and left a ransom note!

9ROMKYZ.jpg

despair and woe!

wBBHLjC.jpg

The note read ('if' at the start seems to have fallen off)
    nDVkQo1.jpg

which translated to "walk across these planks set up between milk crates with your wrists tied together":
    lXwb9a4.jpg

Once they'd performed the feat of derring-do, they got this mysterious "blank" bit of paper:
    M5ubVPk.jpg

which, once held over a candle:
    oR7hi5y.jpg

revealed the message "EASTER MINECRAFT" (or at least they worked that out through the soot):
    KEOcokU.jpg

They then launched Minecraft, and opened a minecraft world I'd made containing a much-scaled-down version of the dog park that we most often walk our dog at:
    zfcmc6S.jpg

The beacon at the far end was next to a:three distinctive trees at the park, and b:a sign with the next clue:
    3DMsgxd.jpg

So, off to the dog park as by this time our dog had _really_ had enough of this easter egg hunt business and wanted to get some exercise. At the park, three trees:
    frF8Ynn.jpg

tied to which was a glove (we figured that if we set this up the night before, chances are that nobody would take it, because if you saw a glove in a tree at a park, you'd assume someone else had found it and tied it there for its owner to retrieve):
    SVlWJBo.jpg

In the fingertip of the glove was the next clue:
    sMFkpR8.jpg

which pointed them to our family photos web site (redacted), and "april santa" refers to the house number of a house around here that always leaves their santa figure up well into the spring of each year. Once we got back home, they could go to that website, and find the (really this time) final clue:
    3C0LbdC.jpg

which pointed them to the in-couch storage where blankets (but mostly nerf guns) live, and where their easter baskets were:
    WZxsL0k.jpg

Biggest learning this year: It is _really difficult_ to make a crossword. The "crossword makers" online only make really skeletal ones, doing a proper one which is solid enough took a heck of a long time and I only made a tiny one.

• Options
    OK @djmitchella, can I bring my kids come to your place for next Easter? Your brain teaser hunts are the best!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Jesus Fucking Christ, man.

• Options
    That is amazing, holy shit!

Also, please clean your oven!

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    That is amazing, holy shit!

Also, please clean your oven!

You're right -- that said, every so often I do have a go at the glass with scrapers and chemicals and whatnot, but because there's a window facing the front of the oven it never makes it much easier to see in because of glare, so it's not really as rewarding as I want it to be given how annoying a job it is.