As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I for one think they should close the gestapo facility.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    the people who decide whether laws can be passed should make the determination of whether to pass laws based on whether it can be passed or not, huh

"All tautologies are tautological" and more deep insights

yeah, I agree that it's a dumb argument

• Options
    I for one think they should close the gestapo facility.

preferably before 2025!

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the people who decide whether laws can be passed should make the determination of whether to pass laws based on whether it can be passed or not, huh

"All tautologies are tautological" and more deep insights

yeah, I agree that it's a dumb argument

So is "I'm not obligated to consider that" when confronted with "here's what the state legislature could reasonably pass."

• Options
    1) I called it a W. It's weird that a critique of the timeline involved is this objectionable to you.

2) you don't know it's the best they could have passed.

3) even if that's true, it's not relevant to its evaluation. I only care about outcomes.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The Columbia Data Center out in Quincy took a year to build and the whole thing was a fucking fiasco. 4 years just to find somewhere to house a bunch of people, since they can't seem to just let them go, is obscene.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    It was a straight party line vote in the Senate, with the exception of Sheldon(D) who voted against it.

Any ideas why he did?

Edit: from Ballotpedia:
    In 2010, Washington State political pundit Austin Jenkins called Sheldon "the Joe Lieberman of the [Democratic] caucus"

Sounds about right.

Doc on
  • Options
    that's a bit out of date because he's not part of the democratic caucus.

that's not a joke or a jab, he literally caucuses with the republicans, has done since 2012.

at the time there was another defector, rodney tom iirc. they're the reason republicans got control of the state senate for awhile.

he sucks!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    1) I called it a W. It's weird that a critique of the timeline involved is this objectionable to you.

3) even if that's true, it's not relevant to its evaluation. I only care about outcomes.

If this is the best bill which could have passed this is the best outcome we have. And how are you judging the best bill which could pass, anyway?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Are there any other private prisons in Washington State besides the ICE detention center?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Are there any other private prisons in Washington State besides the ICE detention center?

Should have checked that: "The only private prison currently in Washington state is the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, which is owned and operated by the GEO Group under contract with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE."
    https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article250317464.html
    And that also explains why it doesn't take effect for four years; that's when the current contract expires. So this is a much more targeted bill than I first thought.

• Options
    Alright, well then I'm more likely to agree with Summary, just fucking burn the building to the ground and don't look back.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Should have checked that: "The only private prison currently in Washington state is the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, which is owned and operated by the GEO Group under contract with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE."
    https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article250317464.html
    And that also explains why it doesn't take effect for four years; that's when the current contract expires. So this is a much more targeted bill than I first thought.

I think the bill also bans any entity from contracting or using an out of state private prison as well.

• Options

If this is the best bill which could have passed this is the best outcome we have. And how are you judging the best bill which could pass, anyway?

no, outcomes are what policy generates, not the policy itself. and, I'm not at all.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    BTW, today there is a big expansion in eligibility, and the BMI threshold that is considered to be obese was a surprise to me. So if you have another underlying condition, I'd check what your BMI is, you may qualify for the vaccine.

• Options
    Got my vaccine at the local hockey rink with a bunch of my coworkers today.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    BTW, today there is a big expansion in eligibility, and the BMI threshold that is considered to be obese was a surprise to me. So if you have another underlying condition, I'd check what your BMI is, you may qualify for the vaccine.

Unfortunately i'm only overweight and none of the other requirements so I gotta keep waiting still.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Unfortunately i'm only overweight and none of the other requirements so I gotta keep waiting still.

Same, sadly same. I mean great I'm glad its just that, but you know same.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Same, sadly same. I mean great I'm glad its just that, but you know same.

Same here. More of a public service announcement.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    April 15th was announced as the date it will be open to everyone over 16 years old.

Also, if everywhere they're giving shots is similar to Island Drug chain, they aren't going to check your weight, height, or BMI

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    April 15th was announced as the date it will be open to everyone over 16 years old.

Also, if everywhere they're giving shots is similar to Island Drug chain, they aren't going to check your weight, height, or BMI

Yeah.... but also it's kinda not cool to make an appointment if you aren't eligible, imo? Even though you're right that they don't actually check anything.

Not that you shouldn't grab an extra shot or anything, just the idea of reserving one in advance when you are healthier than the current groups makes me personally feel icky.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Everyone over 16 eligible for vaccine in WA starting April 15th.

https://www.knkx.org/post/vaccine-eligibility-wa-will-open-ages-16-and-older-april-15

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Yeah.... but also it's kinda not cool to make an appointment if you aren't eligible, imo? Even though you're right that they don't actually check anything.

Not that you shouldn't grab an extra shot or anything, just the idea of reserving one in advance when you are healthier than the current groups makes me personally feel icky.

Yeah I'm not jumping the line I can wait till I'm legit eligible.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

https://www.knkx.org/post/vaccine-eligibility-wa-will-open-ages-16-and-older-april-15

Gonna get like 6-7 of them

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

Gonna get like 6-7 of them

Us Washingtonians will need 6-7 Jabs, due to the fuckery from the US Southeast.

Because we all know they will want to try to fly up to Seattle, to see the Mariners play their Favorite home state team on the cheap (Looks at Texas teams.) In addition to,"Own them Libs!".

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    There's large variance in the reaction and such but if you are getting a Moderna shot try and make sure you have the option of not doing anything the next day. I didn't feel bad in any way but was just overwhelmingly sleepy starting a few hours after getting it for about 48 hours straight. Got the shot around noon on a Saturday, slept all Sunday and was still super sleepy Monday.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    no, outcomes are what policy generates, not the policy itself. and, I'm not at all.

I know what outcomes are, but we get them after policy is made. You don't get outcomes before policy, outcomes come from policy being implemented. The contention is the post I responded to was that it wasn't the best the Democrats were able to accomplish. With no reason backing this was the case. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but it gets us nowhere shitting on Democrats with no follow through on what better options they had. It's just moving the goal posts, a distraction to make us forget the original argument was filled with holes since they didn't bother proving this wasn't the best option available.

• Options
    WA supreme court has ok'd the recall effort targeting Councilwoman Sawant

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Goddamn I despise Durkan and her allies.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Goddamn I despise Durkan and her allies.

Just picturing the smugness Jenny will be rocking this week, ugh.

• Options
    The recall seems ridiculous from even a not-procedural grounds. Like her or not, her actions haven't really varied from before she was last elected. She's definitely doing what her constituents voted for her to do.

• Options
    The recall seems ridiculous from even a not-procedural grounds. Like her or not, her actions haven't really varied from before she was last elected. She's definitely doing what her constituents voted for her to do.

She's public enemy number one for neo liberal interests that run Seattle.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'll admit that I find her somewhat ridiculous.

But I also think that her constituents made a free decision to have her represent them, and I don't live in her district. I just chalk up living with politicians that I think are ridiculous to be the cost of a functioning democracy.

• Options

All recalls are stupid like this, absent a criminal complaint they should not be allowed in my opinion. Like if you don't like someone vote them out normally don't try and utilize a smaller voter group to do it an off year bullshit thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

All recalls are stupid like this, absent a criminal complaint they should not be allowed in my opinion. Like if you don't like someone vote them out normally don't try and utilize a smaller voter group to do it an off year bullshit thing.

I'm actually torn here. I agree with the general sentiment, but I also don't like something like impeachment being the only viable way to remove a public official. A recall should still be only for a specific reason, but I don't think you can get people to reliably vote on just that one issue. So I don't know.

• Options
    The right to recall is good. Telling us we cant recall Durkan but they can recall Sawant is hot bullshit

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

But I also think that her constituents made a free decision to have her represent them, and I don't live in her district. I just chalk up living with politicians that I think are ridiculous to be the cost of a functioning democracy.

I'm not 100% a fan of Sawant but her opponent was a friggin' stooge and she does get stuff done and put a lot of effort into good causes. It's frustrating that she can get voted out for daring to push back against the mayor who happily let the cops attack people.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I'm not 100% a fan of Sawant but her opponent was a friggin' stooge and she does get stuff done and put a lot of effort into good causes. It's frustrating that she can get voted out for daring to push back against the mayor who happily let the cops attack people.

Yeah, I'll give her this: she 100% believes what she says she does, and takes action to make it happen.

Really though, I have enough issues to take up with my representative on the council to worry that much about what the others are doing.

• Options
    I recently moved from district 4 to district 5, and I won't say that going from Pedersen to Juarez isn't an upgrade, but I will say that it's not one I can get excited about

• Options
    If you'll be eligible for the vaccine starting next week, and you live or work in king couty, you can now preregister for the 4 sites.

This discussion has been closed.