As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Various Stages of Making [Arts and Crafts]

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still kinda wish I could get a little 3d printer for making figures and stuff.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    I think I'm about to wander to the local diy store and buy a cordless jigsaw and a cordless circular saw, if they're in stock (they're showing as unavailable for click and correct but supposedly 1 of each on the shelf). Both as bare units as my drill came with two 5Ah batteries.

The circular saw is to trim some bed slats down to use as loft boards and the jigsaw I don't have a direct use for but would have been super handy last week when I modified the mounting plate for the battery on my electric bike (that's half an hour with a blunt hacksaw that I won't get back).

We now have slightly more of the loft boarded.

It turns out that the jigsaw would have sufficed had I opened that first but I have future uses in mind for both tools. And I used the circular saw and retained all my digits!

Though I did learn that one should use the vacuum attachment on the saw even if cutting outside - if you don't then the sawdust shoots out the nozzle and fills your jeans' pocket up.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I still kinda wish I could get a little 3d printer for making figures and stuff.

They are surprisingly affordable now and quite easy to set up. We’ve got a thread in Moe’s for 3D-printing stuff.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Made my first two knit projects, one basketweave pattern dish cloth just to practice, and then what I'd hoped was going to be a little wall hanging with a simple triangle pattern I came up with in some fairly pretty yarn that was "painted desert" colors. It curls like a motherfucker though (which I knew it would, being a dumb pattern I just came up with myself) and for whatever reason my last few rows are HELLA tight so overall it...kinda sucks and I hate it. After those two I also think I quickly see why cotton yarn is both cheap and not really loved. No loft, no stretch, feels kinda bad on your fingers, nowhere to hide mistakes or variation. It was good for practice but I think I'll treat myself to anything at all that works a bit more nicely.

Any chance I could like, wet and stretch out a piece made of sugar n cream cotton so I can force it flat as it dries? All the curl is from essentially being stockinette rather than garter stitch. At least the making it was fun.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Elvenshae wrote: »

They are surprisingly affordable now and quite easy to set up. We’ve got a thread in Moe’s for 3D-printing stuff.
    I've still been thinking about it yeah. Maybe with stimmy when I get it.

My main concern is getting one small enough I can set up in my room away from the cat and finding a way to ventilate it good so it doesn't make me sick.

Actually I wonder if the photon s would be a good option for miniatures. It seems to have a built in filter system? It's on sale right now for a good deal off. Maybe if I get my stimulus this weekend or something I'll think about it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

My main concern is getting one small enough I can set up in my room away from the cat and finding a way to ventilate it good so it doesn't make me sick.

Actually I wonder if the photon s would be a good option for miniatures. It seems to have a built in filter system? It's on sale right now for a good deal off. Maybe if I get my stimulus this weekend or something I'll think about it.

@Bucketman can talk about the resin printers a bit.
    Made my first two knit projects, one basketweave pattern dish cloth just to practice, and then what I'd hoped was going to be a little wall hanging with a simple triangle pattern I came up with in some fairly pretty yarn that was "painted desert" colors. It curls like a motherfucker though (which I knew it would, being a dumb pattern I just came up with myself) and for whatever reason my last few rows are HELLA tight so overall it...kinda sucks and I hate it. After those two I also think I quickly see why cotton yarn is both cheap and not really loved. No loft, no stretch, feels kinda bad on your fingers, nowhere to hide mistakes or variation. It was good for practice but I think I'll treat myself to anything at all that works a bit more nicely.

Any chance I could like, wet and stretch out a piece made of sugar n cream cotton so I can force it flat as it dries? All the curl is from essentially being stockinette rather than garter stitch. At least the making it was fun.

I think my daughter just did a thing where she wet the crochet stuff and reshaped the blanket a bit. I think it also had some curl that came out from that process? I have no idea about the yarn type she used.
    How big is the piece? Could you put it on an object to hide the curl at all if you were already hanging it up on the wall?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Bucketman can talk about the resin printers a bit.
    Lol I actually PMed him earlier today lol. You just bat signaled him again I'm sure.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

@QuantumTurk you definitely can wet and finagle it. This is called blocking.

Cotton works really well with a good long soak. Even better to just toss it in the washer with some clothes.

Especially your dish towel could really take a good hot wash and tumble. That will help it set itself and blooms bit. For the shawl thing, soak it, get as much liquid s you can out and then lay it out on a thick bath towel and pin it out to the shape you like.

Being stocking stitch it will still curl a bit once it's dry, but you can get it into a good enough shape.

I've got loads of peaches and cream cotton, but I use it on my loom.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

you definitely can wet and finagle it. This is called blocking.

Cotton works really well with a good long soak. Even better to just toss it in the washer with some clothes.

Especially your dish towel could really take a good hot wash and tumble. That will help it set itself and blooms bit. For the shawl thing, soak it, get as much liquid s you can out and then lay it out on a thick bath towel and pin it out to the shape you like.

Being stocking stitch it will still curl a bit once it's dry, but you can get it into a good enough shape.

I've got loads of peaches and cream cotton, but I use it on my loom.

Awesome, I'll give that a go. My partner continues lovely projects like patterns for scarves and hats out of sensible materials and I'm just a little knit goblin saying "well yes, but what if I used no more guides, just tried stuff to see how it came out?" We differ in our feelings about hobbies.

• Options
    oy9fjbg5g2l5.jpg
    fdzt21kcwrcs.jpg
    12neympmmza4.jpg

Needs a little more work but it's getting there

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    beautiful!

and presumably deadly

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The cape gives it a nice splash of color. Good job!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

• Options
    Great hat!

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The cape gives it a nice splash of color. Good job!

Yeah The front needs some work. And the lighting was bad for getting a good photo at that angle anyway.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, I'm reaching the point where I'm at critical saturation of people I know owning 3d printers, and having offered to print stuff for me, but I'm not sure what to use to actually draw stuff to be printed. Mostly because I've had the fortune/ill luck to use higher level paid CAD software like Inventor/SolidWorks for work/school, and now I'm trying to find something I can use that won't feel too painful compared to prior experience. Does anyone here have experience trying various softwares and have a preference?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I like Fusion360 because it's free.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Yeah, I originally misunderstood the licensing setup and thought I would only be able to use it for a year, but it looks like you just have to renew the free license once a year, so now I'm kind of trying to model a Razor Crest...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I have fallen into a hole of learning about bobbin lace and tatting.

i've been looking up placed to buy bobbins, but I like the idea of practicing using wooden clothes pins to see if it's a thing that I want to try.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Because time has no meaning, and I leave stuff in drafts for years that might have been an immediate reply.

For blocking knits:
    Better even than leaving it to dry on a bath towel, done, is to (still) lay it out, roll it up in the bath towel, gently squeeze out much of the water without twisting, and then lay the knit on a non porous surface and gently pull it into shape (or pin it in place.) A bath towel will retain water, so if you even lay it out on a garbage bag, it'll evaporate and dry faster.

Cotton is beautiful, you just need to respect that, like other plant fibers, it has no memory or give; there's nice cotton that is at least softer to work, but you can always mitigate its harshness by skeining it, putting it in a pillowcase and washing. Think of how jeans break in.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Yeah, this, for anything reasonably serious.

There's also OpenSCAD if you want to get into programming-driven parametric design, which is also free.

For quick sketch-ups, I really like TinkerCAD, though it's probably well below your skill floor. :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Other options are a bit noted here: https://community.carbide3d.com/t/autodesk-fusion-360-changing-hobbyist-licensing-what-other-tools-should-be-considered/25932

From that thread

Alibre Atom3D — good for the folks doing mechanical design it even has a free spreadsheet / calculation feature which allows parametric design Parametric Design Using Alibre Atom3D 4
    -There's also Alibre Workshop.
    OnShape — they already had their licensing kerfuffle, so presumably the current status quo (free license requires work be publicly available) will remain
    Solidworks — the US/Canadian Veterans edu. license is quite affordable, and available for folks doing experimental aircraft designs through the EAA: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/solidworks-student-design-kit 8
    Moment of Inspiration — surprisingly affordable I really wish this had a node editor interface as a standard/supported thing
    Shapr3D — for the cool folks w/ iPads and Apple Pencils who are okay with monthly payments — pairs well w/ MeshCAM
    For opensource there are the standard options:

FreeCad
    BRL-CAD
    Solvespace
    OpensCAD and other programming options

Radiation on
  • Options
    I think I need talked out of getting a sla printer now

I keep looking at the photon mono se now and being like think of all the minis I could have to paint but I still have like 14 warhams to paint sitting around ha.

Maybe I should get a full sized air brush setup instead. I can really only use the current one to prime two models at a time and it is kinda low psi so I don't get great coverage without getting closer than you are supposed to with the primer which risks clumping in the details.

• Options
    Should be able to pick up a small-ish regular compressor (like a 6-gal pancake one). Check like facebook market place or something?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I found a store full of miniature tools and I am obsessed:

https://www.micromark.com/

There's a mini table saw, mini belt sander, mini grinder, mini router, etc. I've been trying to figure out how to start making doll furniture and now I know.

Just look at this mini miter box!

3f2gytswakid.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I might have just bought 36 wooden clothes pins to try and use as bobbins.

I've got a pillow that I can use, just need to get some thick bits of cardboard to go into it.

so I can give this a homemade try before I go crazy and buy real things.

• Options
    the bulk of my card catalog restoration is complete

I lost the inside corner pieces which doesn't really matter and no one will ever see, but it is driving me insane

rsl049ktmqxa.jpg

j4xmevzlwaze.jpg

getting organized!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really want that card catalogue so I can fill it with seeds and herbs like a well organised hedge witch

Finished the first sleeve of my jumper. Procrastinating on starting the second because I can't remember the cast-on I used and am worried it will look weird if they aren't the same
    okqbibef1v01.jpg

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I forever yearn for card catalogs and barrister bookcases, mainly for craft storage, but I did spring for one of these cabinets when ikea had them still. (Not my photo.)

The focus on the sleeve is too fuzzy for me to really tell, but it looks like a cable caston.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Well after a few weeks of mulling over various desktop cnc machines I've gone and hit order.

On a 3D printer. Annoyingly I was just too late to get it today so I've got to be patient and wait till tomorrow. A printer wasn't the original plan but now I've got a rabbit hole 3D printed CNC machines to investigate.

I've already got half a dozen things I want to print but five of them are upgrades to the printer itself. So far everything is files I've downloaded from Thingiverse but I do have a couple ideas for remixes and/or entirely self made things. Once I get my head round Fusion360. Annoyingly I have experience in Solidworks via work and access to a home licence but the current version will only work in Windows 10 and I'm still on 8.1 at home.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Losing steam on my big cross stitch thing. The more I do the more I feel like some of the colours are going to come out wack. The pattern has put a lot of green in places the original picture doesn't look very green, in shading and highlights, and I worry it will end up looking really muddy.

I wish there was a way to know for sure before putting hundreds of hours into it.

• Options
    can anyone recommend a good commercial degreaser?

dish soap is not cutting through this 50 year gummed up grease

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »

Someone here recommended diesel in a rag for something similar I was doing a few years ago. Did a pretty decent job of it.

Of course, depending on how thick it is, you might be better served by just digging it out by hand with a wire brush or something first.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Any autoparts store will have cheap aerosol cans of degreaser designed for cleaning up engines etc. Petrol and diesel are also solvents that'll work if you can soak some in there.

• Options
    I made these a while back, but my daughter painted them and I think they look waaaaayyyy better now!
    3jplGSs.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »

Someone here recommended diesel in a rag for something similar I was doing a few years ago. Did a pretty decent job of it.

Of course, depending on how thick it is, you might be better served by just digging it out by hand with a wire brush or something first.

I'm using a plastic scraper for sure

I forgot about diesel, that's a good idea

as is the autoparts store engine degreaser

edit: this is the kind of stuff I'm up against

87hl32b7t7kn.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    We jse a product called Krud Kutter on our ceramic stove, it’s pretty effective at breaking up stuff that’s been cooked onto the stovetop

It’s also non-toxic if that matters

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    dang, that looks like a job for a sandblasting chamber like those restoring channels use

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It’s definitely gonna take some skil to get all the gunk out

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    dang, that looks like a job for a sandblasting chamber like those restoring channels use

one day!
    knitdan wrote: »
    It’s definitely gonna take some skil to get all the gunk out

I saw what you did there