As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I have learned snowboarding at 36, how about inline skating at 37?

BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
So as some of you already know, I have taken up snowboarding last year at 36 years of age : ) This year I got to practice a bit more and hopefully next year will be even better.

Winter sports however can be enjoyed for a only a few short months where I live so I am thinking of giving inline skating a try (ie. rollerblading as the brand goes?) I need some fitness activity during the week, which I can do after work or early in the morning and it should be min prep. I used to run but no soft surface running possible where I live and I don't want to ruin my knees by running on asphalt or concrete. I already ride my road bike few times a week, mainly on the weekends, as riding a bike in the inner city is not very safe here in Istanbul and I need to get out of the city = more time needed, not possible in the week days.

I see youngsters inline skating near my house (about 5 mins walk) at an inline skating park and they have a beginner's area. I am thinking of giving it a try as I did rollerskate for a while when I was 9-10 years old?

Other than wearing as much protection as possible, any tips from experienced inline skaters here? I am big an heavy as mentioned in the snowboarding thread but I think I will probably pick up quicker than most people who have never done it as a child.

Thanks!

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I skated about 5ish miles a day for a few years but I've never done much skate park stuff (because I would kill myself).

But even just skating is a hell of a workout as long as you're actually staking and not just swaying a little bit while you slowly glide down the sidewalk at just above walking speed.

I would recommend protective gear even if you're just doing skating instead of skate park shenanigans though. I was going 20mph or so on a bike path and a twig that was about 1/8" in diameter almost made me faceplant which would have been very painful.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    High quality knee pads, and wrist guards.

Wrist guards are often forgotten.

I used to wear boneless knee pads, when I did in-line skating as a heavy set person. And they took some hits. I have left 30 foot grooves in grass while hitting a rock going downhill on a super steap hill and then get up and keep going no problem. It’s been a while so I have no idea if they are still the bees knees for thick bois.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Growing up I played ice hockey and did a lot of inline skating, as well.

Never was able to figure out how to roller skate, they aren't really translatable skills, as far as I could tell.

Skating is also not great for your knees, tho

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Growing up I played ice hockey and did a lot of inline skating, as well.

Never was able to figure out how to roller skate, they aren't really translatable skills, as far as I could tell.

Skating is also not great for your knees, tho

Eh, depends a lot on your form I think.

Though honestly there's not a lot of incredibly repetitive exercises that involves the knees that don't fall into the "not great for your knees" category.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Get padded gloves, you will fall and thanks to snowboarding you will put your hands out. And concrete is gonna be much less friendly than snow

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    i just started skateboarding with my 10 year old at 41.

We got helmets but after tree or four slams i decided to pad us up further. (knees/wrists/elbows)

It really helps to commit a bit harder knowing that you're protected a bit better.

Just watch out for the upper legs/hips though. For some reason i just love falling on them and those bruises hurt and last forever.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Might be worth investing in a mouth guard of some kind, too- if you fall and your chin hits something, you've got a bad chance of breaking/losing teeth, and those can be thousands of dollars all on their own to deal with.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?