As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ford won't even make the announcement himself. He desperately wants to not be seen as responsible for lockdowns so he's doing the bare minimum possible and then knee-jerk reacting whenever anything gets bad but only for as long as he thinks will not get him blamed.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Ford won't even make the announcement himself. He desperately wants to not be seen as responsible for lockdowns so he's doing the bare minimum possible and then knee-jerk reacting whenever anything gets bad but only for as long as he thinks will not get him blamed.

Every second sentence in his statements also involve blaming the feds for Ontario not having enough vaccines.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Every second sentence in his statements also involve blaming the feds for Ontario not having enough vaccines.

Sounds like blaming the ringmaster for not setting up the net when you decided to walk the tightrope.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

Is that why they're calling it a shutdown instead of a lockdown?

I'm not sure I understand the distinction beetween those 2 terms....

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Jean wrote: »

Is that why they're calling it a shutdown instead of a lockdown?

I'm not sure I understand the distinction beetween those 2 terms....

Who the fuck knows. It's just random fucking words attached to whatever they pull from their ass on any particular day.

• Options
    Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's confused!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Methinks it's a ploy to avoid saying they had to do another lockdown. Ignore the quacking

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Edit

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    What is there to be really surprised about Ford's say on 2 bill from the feds to out towards "deficient" instead of paying like workers and offering small businesses loans to like stay open but not pay workers it's obscene

But there's a vocal amount of rich people who wanna fly around the world spending workers wealth and infecting local populations and that's the demographic that has decided the entire pandemic strategy

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    And well faster then as predicted all that GTA wealthy elites and landlord are ravaging the newly accessible cottage country thanks to the 407

So like can't buy a home east of Toronto unless you have half a mill saved up, guess what the averages wages are

Far below that

All the old waterfront property owners are making out like bandits tho

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kinda furious atm, had to run to Wal-Mart. Didn't end up staying , was like comicon in there so many people, no enforcement of anything,

Made me sure glad I had to watch half my coworkers get laid off yet again even tho we actually followed rules all along.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Yeah, traffic didn't seem any lighter today. Lockdown starts tonight?

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Yeah, traffic didn't seem any lighter today. Lockdown starts tonight?

Starts at midnight in Ontario, yes.

The new measures are already effective in Gatineau & Québec City. I went out to get groceries today. Trafic was the same as any other Friday.

The one difference I've noticed in the past couple of days is than I'm seeing a lot more people wearing masks outside now. It used to be very rare even as recently as a month ago.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So my gf and I just started watching Kim's Convenience. It's pretty good! The main characters are fun and endearing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    A local Pina Styling business owner just equated wearing a mask with the experiences of Residential School survivors, doubled down on their position when challenged, deleted their challengers and then just deleted the whole thing hoping they wouldn't get caught. They got screen shot caught. You might say the communities that host this business are just a wee bit pissed off given how we're mostly First Nations out here and how the pandemic has impacted a mostly tourist economy with one ICU within 45 minutes distance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm just obsessing over daily stats now, which I know I shouldn't do. But after a massive a quick spike in the second half of last week and a quick re-re-confinement of the out-of-control regions before Easter weekend, the number of daily new cases seems to have plateau'd and even show an ever-so-slight downward trend. Makes me hopeful the third wave won't be as bad or as long as the second wave.

Also, restaurants had stocked fridges in preparation for Easter weekend, hoping the holiday dine-in traffic would make up a bit for their losses in the first quarter of the year. The sudden and unexpected closing-down of everything hit them hard, and even the mayor came out urging people to order as many take-out meals as they could eat to help our restaurants. And people listened. Restaurants are reporting record levels of take-out sales, some saying their fridges got ransacked over the weekend (in a good way). I'll take the good news!

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm just obsessing over daily stats now

Let me show you one exponential everyone can get behind

hwmkz7z61c7b.png

Source of the graph : https://vaccintrackerqc.ca/

• Options
    Mine is tomorrow at 1:20. I hear from co-workers who have already been it's 20 minutes or less and 15 of that is spent toodling about on your phone while you wait to see if there are any side effects.

• Options
    Lo, I have been stabbed. Pfizer, before I even cleared the buildng I had texts and emails with my follow up in July and my vaccination record. One of the nurses is a former co-worker and they gave me a nice info sheet. 6 more minutes and I can go about my day.

The building is a sea of blue and grey hair.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Lo, I have been stabbed. Pfizer, before I even cleared the buildng I had texts and emails with my follow up in July and my vaccination record. One of the nurses is a former co-worker and they gave me a nice info sheet. 6 more minutes and I can go about my day.

The building is a sea of blue and grey hair.

Just wait a few days before you go back to licking doorknobs, yeah?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    My favourite cartoonist takes a break from covid jokes to get back to political jokes.
    resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgcm.omerlocdn.com%2Fproduction%2Fglobal%2Ffiles%2Fimage%2Fe8fe162b-3bd1-4537-b4a5-39d8c057254f.jpg&width=1024&type=webp

Translation
    "What do you think of Erin O'Toole?"
    "I'd make him play left of Weber!"

"I have all his albums!"

"He's so handsome in Hunger Games!"

"I hate comedians!"

"He's an excellent leader of the Conservative Party!"

"You know him?"
    "I am him!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Doug Ford is apparently very angry that people flocked to the malls, after people were allowed to go to malls during this "lockdown".

There isn't a pikachu face large enough.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The pandemic theatre by politicians has gotten very tiresome. Like, we all know you've done the math and decided what level of sickness and death is acceptable to keep an acceptable level of capitalism going.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    The pandemic theatre by politicians has gotten very tiresome. Like, we all know you've done the math and decided what level of sickness and death is acceptable to keep an acceptable level of capitalism going.

It's Ford; for him, the acceptable level is "however much is necessary to convince the voters that this is all Trudeau's fault."

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Doug Ford is apparently very angry that people flocked to the malls, after people were allowed to go to malls during this "lockdown".

There isn't a pikachu face large enough.

eh9nyvdj8ts2.jpg
    screen shot for the ages

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »

Please. They haven't done any math (they aren't that smart or organized) and this has nothing to do with capitalism. They are a bunch of dumb goobers ricocheting between whatever stupid solutions pop into their heads to the immediate problems in front of them. Lockdowns are unpopular. The pandemic raging out of control, and especially stories about the pandemic raging out of control, are also unpopular. You want to get reelected. Ergo you bounce back and forth being locking down (or whatever dumb word you wanna use for it you think might be less politically damaging) and opening up depending on which thing you fear is making you more unpopular at that very moment. There is no thought or long-term planning or data-based analysis going on here.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I’m not even talking specifically about Ford , who I very much doubt does any math. Or even Horgan here in BC, but I know Adrien Dix our health minister is not stupid, and I don’t think PHO Henry is either.

But right now their lack of agility and transparency with the public makes them look clueless . Our Premier got an election and a majority government and Dr. Henry got a book deal with the publisher her sister works for and a shoe named after her and they seem to have given up on protecting the health and lives of the most Citizens they could at this point.

I’ve begun to view Public Health like corporate HR departments, existing to make people think they are being taken care of when the true goal is extracting maximum labour for minimum cost.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Ontario's going full lockdown starting Thursday for up to four weeks.

Full stay-at-home order, no indoor shopping except for grocery stores and pharmacies.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    This is smart, looking at the federal vaccine shipment tracker, Ontario would receive around 2 million vaccine doses in that time period.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Alberta's going back to stage 1, which is closed indoor dining now

Apparently we're on track to have more people in hospital than at the worst of the second wave, which is cool and great

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    If this "new" "lockdown" does not include enforced moratoriums on all inter-city travel, so many of us near the GTA are still fucked. I live in cottage country. Guess where all the infected rich people go when they cannot do whatever they want in TO? I suppose, this time, if they are forced to stay in their cottages, we should be "safer", but like that will happen and it only takes a few to cause a new major outbreak here and we are dealing with our own problems in that way.

I am so GOD DAMNED TIRED...

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Alberta's going back to stage 1, which is closed indoor dining now

Apparently we're on track to have more people in hospital than at the worst of the second wave, which is cool and great

But let's not close patios!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    If this "new" "lockdown" does not include enforced moratoriums on all inter-city travel, so many of us near the GTA are still fucked. I live in cottage country. Guess where all the infected rich people go when they cannot do whatever they want in TO? I suppose, this time, if they are forced to stay in their cottages, we should be "safer", but like that will happen and it only takes a few to cause a new major outbreak here and we are dealing with our own problems in that way.

I am so GOD DAMNED TIRED...

That was frustrating in NS last spring. Halifax was locked down fairly tight, but the small towns were flooded with people who "needed to" check on their other other home regularly. I'm worried about a repeat as the weather improves.

• Options
    Alberta just shut down that one megachurch that spent most of the last year deciding public health orders are for everyone else since they get in the way of phat tithes.

Erecting barriers around it and the works.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Alberta just shut down that one megachurch that spent most of the last year deciding public health orders are for everyone else since they get in the way of phat tithes.

After they had their massive Easter weekend, yeah.

Can't piss off your base TOO much

• Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

I'm wondering if that was the source of the variant superspreader event the province spent the weekend downplaying. .

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

I'm wondering if that was the source of the variant superspreader event the province spent the weekend downplaying. .

The easter weekend would just now start to show up on the charts, we'll see if it takes off in the next few days

Phyphor on
  • Options

Too early for it to be that . Takes a good week before the numbers would start showing

• Options
    From Easter proper, sure, but Friday or Saturday Alberta said there was a P.1 superspreader event somewhere in the province but they didn't feel like talking about it quite yet.

This discussion has been closed.