As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Disco Elysium] Hobocop just can't stop

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The voice acting is subliiiiime.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I bloody loved DE, but I can’t replay it without many more years behind me to dull the memories. Even with the variations of different choices it’d still be re-treading the same broad strokes too much for me. Plus it would in a strange way feel disloyal to that first version of the story that moved me so much!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Final Cut is free if you own the original version on Steam right?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Final Cut is free if you own the original version on Steam right?

Yeah, if you already own it on Steam then it's just an update.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    A 15 GB update, so set a few hours aside to download it if you haven't automatically.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I wish it added a How the Fuck Do I Make Progress button.

Then again I say that about every Point and Click ever.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

It’s an RPG. You make progress by completing quests.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The idea of rushing to try and make "progress" feels antithetical to the design of the game

Go talk to some people, poke at something you haven't yet, fuck around and see what happens

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The idea of rushing to try and make "progress" feels antithetical to the design of the game

Go talk to some people, poke at something you haven't yet, fuck around and see what happens

Yeah, given that you gain experience for learning about the world, you're largely encouraged to explore and talk to people even outside your immediate goals. I'd even say it makes some sense here. Talking to the old guys playing petanque might not give any insight about the murder itself, but they've a lot to say about the Revolution and the current state of things with the Union. Knowing why things are the way they are in Martinaise can help with abstract reasoning, with later clues making sense that might otherwise not.

Not yet through the first day again myself, but I'm surprised how much dialogue appears to have been re-recorded even by the same VAs. Some of the new acting is really good, and I'm fine with Trailer Voice Guy being the narrator, but I wish he didn't also voice every skill. I know one per skill might've been impractical, but it feels odd having the jumpy, vice-driven Electrochemistry read in the same basic tone and pacing as Volition, its polar opposite.

That said, the Horrific Necktie fucking nails it. I want to poke at everything and see what else gets unique voices. Goddamn but it's good to be back :+1:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    This game is something I haven't shut up about to my friends for ...a year?

I think it's one of the only adventure games I've played that I didn't use a single guide or save scummed because it felt better to just fail at shit.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Together with Kentucky Route Zero and Night in the Woods, Disco Elysium is a prime example of why I think that even with lootboxes and endless open world icon-hoovering exercises the last few years have been some of the best with respect to games ever since I started playing International Soccer on the C64. Sure, every now and then what I need is a triple-A spectacle, but it's games such as those three that I will remember best and most fondly.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I feel you on this, but the game is designed to make it so even if you attempt to hop on the critical path from the very start you're going to have to veer off and explore at certain points.

I guess my advice would be that pursuing anything that comes up can also lead to progress, even if it may not seem like it at first. Sometimes you will find items, people or information you'll need down the line. If nothing else, you'll gain experience that can lead to strengthening your skills or allowing you to internalize more thoughts. Also if nothing else you'll learn bits and pieces of information naturally as the days progress so that even if you utterly fail the first time around, you'll be better prepared for the next time around.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It took me so long to get the body down...

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    On my first playthrough, it took me forever as well. Getting down the body was one of the last things I did. This time, I managed before the first day was over, though mostly by luck - but I do imagine it puts a very different spin on things as I proceed through the investigation.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    My third playthrough, playing Apocalypse Cop for the first time. Trying to not be Sorry Cop this time.

Spent 2 hours playing, managed to win 8 % roll to get close to the body.

Game still good.

• BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Haven't got far in my new playthrough on final cut but I'll just say, necktie VA is amazing.

Went full Physical / Motorics for an aggressive, physical cop. Going to build up Authority and get the full set of armor to basically become Judge Dredd with a massive drug problem.

First roll of the game. The necktie. 92% chance of success with those stats.

Rolled Double 1s.

edited April 2021
    Haven't yet run into any of the new quests, but playing this again it's remarkable just how well the writing and skills intersect and play off each other. There are only a handful of decision points that truly affect the plot, but the game does a fine job recognizing subtle distinctions in your character and reacting accordingly.

My first run was Volition-focused with otherwise average stats elsewhere. The detective tried earnestly to claw back to some semblance of decency and slowly regained the skills he once had. He fell back on his drinking habit and was often lost in his own little world, in part due to thinking about the void of pain left by a failed relationship; it's hard to focus on the present when you're still living in the past. Still, saying sorry matters, even if nobody has to forgive you. He didn't take bribes, showed mercy and compassion where he could, and never gave up - on himself or the case.

My current run still prizes Volition but is more physically focused, and he's constantly goaded by his instincts to fight everyone and everything. He knows he fucked up and is trying to better himself, and retains a sensitive side that helps him connect with others. But the mental demons are still there, and they're at their loudest when he finds a target that needs to suffer, most of all himself. Art appreciation offers some escape from a world that mostly confounds him and sometimes just seems utterly doomed, and when it does finally get too big to process... well, sometimes the eject button gets mighty tempting.

These two made a lot of the same decisions (so far) yet wound up feeling like markedly different characters, and both seem like valid developments from where he starts. Having hit rock bottom, the detective is truly at a critical point in his life. He's fucked up in relationships, friendships, physical health, mental health, and the case itself; nothing can change all that, certainly not in a week. But he can start the long, painful climb back up, and the game is written well enough that it recognizes your stumbles and triumphs alike. It sees the player in ways few games do, asks hard questions about our behavior, and then encourages us to get up and keep trying no matter how bleak it gets. There's something truly special in that.

Or, as put by one of my favorite thoughts in the game,
    Seems like the point of this game is *victory*. The absence of defeat on all fronts. Victory in business ventures and creative undertakings. Victory in love and over other people. Political victory. Ideological victory. Hell, even sexual victory. Definitely a lot of object-based victories, too -- having things and not losing them. One problem, though: not a lot of victors in sight. Everyone’s mostly losing. Why is that? And how do you *not* lose?

How *not* to lose? It is impossible not to. The world is balanced on the edge of a knife. It’s a game of frayed nerves. You’re pushed on by numbers and punitive measures: pain, rejection, and unpaid bills. You can either play or you can crawl under a boat and waste away -- turn into salt or a flock of seagulls. Your enemies would *love* that. Or you can fight. The only way to load the dice is to keep on fighting.

Stolls on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I downloaded this game and I'm torn

it's clearly kind of brilliant but the pacing is so sloooooooow and I just had a corrupted save when I
    went into Cunos hidden room

with corrupted saves and the fact that if you die and forget to save you have to redo a bunch of stuff I'm not sure if I have the commitment to see it through. I can tell it's probably worth it but I wish it didn't feel like such a slog at times

my first death:
    I was down to one morale pip when I was talking to the strike negotiator, and I was worried I'd lose another in a failed check. So I decided to check off my 'drink booze' quest, thinking it would give me morale back. Instead, it gave me health and took away morale, giving me a game over. At first I was like- that makes no sense, when that booze you've been craving hits your lips your morale goes up. But then I thought, maybe a proper alcoholic actually feels despair the moment they cave in.

And then I thought, hey this is a pretty great game for making me thing about something likes this.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Just started this yesterday. Quickly got pegged as an "apologetic hobocop". Told my wife about the game, and she said it all checked out, except the cop part.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Did this ever get controller support on PC?

Oh brilliant
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I finished my third playthrough, as a Communict Apocalypse Art Cop. Sadly, due to m build 5/3/1/3 I was unable to finish Church questline.

My final playthrough will be in Hardcore mode, as a Boring Moralist Cop I guess, where comedy will come from the fact that this obvious collosal fuckup of a detective pretends that everything is normal, nothing to see here.

Finally finding the new political quests; looks like they start on Day 4 and depend on whether you have unlocked the political thoughts, but I didn't have them internalized. I was not prepared for one of them to tie together Cindy the Skull, Idiot Doom Spiral, and the cargo container in the harbor, but holy shit that was gold. Going full capitalist hustler pairs oddly well with Art Cop in selling the zany scheme. Suffice to say, you get the means to potentially
    buy the streetlight from Roy.

Now to wind back the clock and see what happens when Moralist Hobocop seeks advice on forming a committee from
    the 'Sunday Friend'.
    Given the context in which you first meet him, I'm expecting a series of comedic misunderstandings and Kim biting his tongue a lot.

I appreciate that going full authority leaves you with several negatives if your subject doesn't fall for your bravado. Like you try to assert yourself as THE LAW and your fail the initial intimidation check then it becomes progressively harder to get back that respect.

Also, since fascist Judge Dredd here refuses to ever apologize you end up standing silent a lot and leaving Kim to pick up the pieces.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I finished my first playthrough last night. Around Day 4 I realized that a lot of stuff was broken (which apparently is getting fixed today?), so I kinda just speedran the back half of the game, which meant a bunch of plotlines were taken to the edge of completion and then abandoned.

Maintained sobriety throughout, which I kinda regret, but I really didn't want to let Kim down. Pretty sure I got bogged down with unwanted Thought-Cabinetry, but it wasn't until I got an Art Degree that Skill Points stopped feeling insanely precious, so I kept getting distracted by new Thoughts and never wanting to discard old ones. As such... I failed a lot of skill checks. 97%ers? Not so guaranteed in my world.

But you best believe I hit that 8% "watch me teleport, Kim!" check.

If I play through again, definitely plan to investigate the Pale to the fullest potential.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    There's no way to advance time, is there? I'm in the afternoon of day 2...
    Kim just left with the body, and I'm pretty sure I've explored everything open to me at this point. Every entry in my journal is, "wait until night time", or after the water lock is repaired. Would speaking with everyone again, this time without Kim, open any new dialogue, or am I just doomed to sit here and watch time pass until something triggers?

You can sit on a bench to advance time I think.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    To advance time, either sit on a bench or else buy a book at the bookstore and read it over and over.

Ooh...I have a book! I'll pass the time and become a real cockatoo.

metaghost wrote: »
    it wasn't until I got an Art Degree that Skill Points stopped feeling insanely precious

Actual Art Degree and Wompty-Dompty Dom Center are easily the best quality of life thoughts in the entire game. They're so important, in fact, that I feel like their functionality should be available to every character and not hidden behind easily missable thoughts.

Right now the game lets you choose a "signature skill" during character creation. All it does is give you one skill point and increase the cap of all skills governed by the same attribute by one. It's worse than just putting an extra point into the governing attribute and only just barely better than the reward you get for a single level up. Doesn't feel very "signature".

It would be better if, every time you got a passive in your signature skill, you get +10 XP, +2 Real, and heal +1 Morale. That would give you motivation to keep investing points into your signature skill, even when you don't need to reattempt a check in that skill.

I'm quite amazed at how different the story progresses on my second playthrough even though I'm mostly playing the same character I did the first time round. The thing that's made a huge difference is that
    I got the corpse down on my first day already, compared to when I first played the game. That time it took me about four days.

As a result, my character can credibly consider himself more competent and less of a total fuck-up - and look at him on Wednesday afternoon, already minus the Expression and those sideburns. Though I admit I'm having second thoughts about having shaved off the latter. In any case, even though I'm still the same mix of Communist Cop and Sorry Cop, it all feels distinctly different, and I don't know how much of this is actual change in conversations and interactions and how much is just that everything is contextualised differently this time round.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Quick question for the ones here who know the game inside out: are there any concrete consequences to delaying the endgame? I'm just before the point of no return - sooner than in my first playthrough, because I've surprisingly proven to be better at this whole detective business - but I've also not explored a couple of avenues that aren't plot-relevant. I'm in no particular rush to get back to the ending, but I also don't want to lower my chances of
    getting through the confrontation with the mercenaries with a semi-positive ending. I especially hope to get Kim through it safe and sound.
    If I can dawdle without running any big risks, that's what I'll want to do.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Did this ever get controller support on PC?

Yeah, it has controller support now

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Thirith wrote: »
    Quick question for the ones here who know the game inside out: are there any concrete consequences to delaying the endgame? I'm just before the point of no return - sooner than in my first playthrough, because I've surprisingly proven to be better at this whole detective business - but I've also not explored a couple of avenues that aren't plot-relevant. I'm in no particular rush to get back to the ending, but I also don't want to lower my chances of
    getting through the confrontation with the mercenaries with a semi-positive ending. I especially hope to get Kim through it safe and sound.

I’m pretty sure you can take as long as you like at that point without affecting anything. The only time limits are early ones related to paying off the hotel debt.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Did they fix the ability to break the scripting enough to leave yourself stuck at the end of the first day with no ability to progress? I managed to pull that off by just not talking to the hotel guy long enough that the time where Kim would offer to pay passed by.

I’m pretty sure you can take as long as you like at that point without affecting anything. The only time limits are early ones related to paying off the hotel debt.

There is one more time limit I can remember.
    Rene, the bitter old war hero who plays ball games with his friend, will die on day five or so. He can provide some additional cultural context on the flower petals you find on Klaasje's roof if you manage to reach her before then, which will give you a small positive modifier when trying to determine the motive of the true killer.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular

There is one more time limit I can remember.
    Rene, the bitter old war hero who plays ball games with his friend, will die on day five or so. He can provide some additional cultural context on the flower petals you find on Klaasje's roof if you manage to reach her before then, which will give you a small positive modifier when trying to determine the motive of the true killer.
    If you count that, there's also losing the ability to do a proper analysis on the body if you take too long. At least I assume, the logs seem to indicate that it's missable.

This made me laugh way more than it should have. I missed out on finding my ledger for days, but it was worth it. The narrator really twists the knife on that last line...
    5z1jg6kg7us9.jpg

edited April 2021

Cool, that's very good to know. I very much like that towards the end of the game, you're likely to have collected a wide enough range of stats-enhancing clothes to have a fighting chance at most of the stat checks, without making the game feel like so many RPGs where in the end you're omnipotent and identical to every other person's late game version of the player character. Your journey through Revachol still feels like your own personal story.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Throwing on like, the mesh tank and kimono and sunglasses to get enough boosts to clear the kareoke was great