As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Decided to do a challenge Day

Did 30 minutes aerobic walk. So equal to two miles.

I feel good but I really needed a shower.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I used my pedal thing a bit just now.

About the length of the song cirice by ghost. Might have went a little longer but my legs were getting sore. But at least I was breathing good!

Popped on my pulse ox after and my bpm was only like 100 but that's ok. I wasn't at it very long. But better was my blood oxygen saturation was near 99% which is much better than it has been even at rest the past few months. ( Usually it's been as low as 91%) it's amazing how much a few percent can make you feel way different.

I guess the higher dose advair is starting to work. I imagine I probably have asthma. It's probably gotten worse since we moved because of the weird humidity and mildew situation in this apartment building. That and I've put on weight through the whole sleep apnea ordeal.

I feel good that I got a bit in this morning though. Soon I want to start doing yoga in the living room too build up some standing up endurance and flexibility to account for the atrophy that's certainly taken some of my muscle mass from the months of near bedriddeness from the apnea before getting treatment.

I also need to start planning my meals a bit. I kinda want to do like 5 days a week where I stick to a plan and just kinda free range on the weekends. At least until I adjust to it.

I'm not ok counting calories in an app though, I don't have the focus or the energy for it now that I'm so many years into adhd meds that I'm not getting the extra kick from them anymore. Forcing myself to do it last time made me burn out and it's just not sustainable or healthy for me. So I need to work out a way I can calculate or eyeball a rough calorie count ahead of time for the whole day easily. Like make little cue cards for myself for my main staples and just copy those down each morning based on what I want that day. I need to reduce the friction of eating less calories and eating healthier options gradually. Because any amount of it becomes a wall in my mind that I just don't have the power to break through anymore.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Did a nice 6C+ problem I put together at the local artificial boulder on lunch today

Very compress-y. The friction was garbage out because of the weather here (high of 22 degrees!) but managed to just power it. My fingers are properly burning now though.

Sessions on the gritstone on thursday and saturday planned though and the weather looks much cooler which is ideal. I would not want to be on the grit today

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/XsqI-BD2GMs

I can't even imagine doing one full event of an Ironman (though I do have a goal to do a sprint), so this is amazing to me.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

About the length of the song cirice by ghost. Might have went a little longer but my legs were getting sore. But at least I was breathing good!

Popped on my pulse ox after and my bpm was only like 100 but that's ok. I wasn't at it very long. But better was my blood oxygen saturation was near 99% which is much better than it has been even at rest the past few months. ( Usually it's been as low as 91%) it's amazing how much a few percent can make you feel way different.

I guess the higher dose advair is starting to work. I imagine I probably have asthma. It's probably gotten worse since we moved because of the weird humidity and mildew situation in this apartment building. That and I've put on weight through the whole sleep apnea ordeal.

I feel good that I got a bit in this morning though. Soon I want to start doing yoga in the living room too build up some standing up endurance and flexibility to account for the atrophy that's certainly taken some of my muscle mass from the months of near bedriddeness from the apnea before getting treatment.

I also need to start planning my meals a bit. I kinda want to do like 5 days a week where I stick to a plan and just kinda free range on the weekends. At least until I adjust to it.

I'm not ok counting calories in an app though, I don't have the focus or the energy for it now that I'm so many years into adhd meds that I'm not getting the extra kick from them anymore. Forcing myself to do it last time made me burn out and it's just not sustainable or healthy for me. So I need to work out a way I can calculate or eyeball a rough calorie count ahead of time for the whole day easily. Like make little cue cards for myself for my main staples and just copy those down each morning based on what I want that day. I need to reduce the friction of eating less calories and eating healthier options gradually. Because any amount of it becomes a wall in my mind that I just don't have the power to break through anymore.

I think one of the biggest things when doing the eyeball method is to pay attention to the sauces, dips and spreads. A lot of calories are hidden there in an otherwise healthy looking meal.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I am not a doctor etc, usual medical advice caveat, but yeah it totally sounds like you've got chronic asthma, probably coming from a bunch of environmental triggers, and your previous management regime wasn't up to snuff.
    This is good news! It's super manageable! I know you said your reliever makes you feel like shit (hi five, me too). Ideally if you've got a robust steroid regimen you shouldn't need to use a reliever much. One thing I've found is that US doctors are very reticent about corticosteroid prescriptions (although maybe that's just because I'm a woman, idk, they get all funky about bone density). So keep monitoring your blood ox and general well being and how much you're using a reliever, etc, and don't be afraid to tell the doc "hey I think I need to up my steroid intake."

Also bro fist bump for how shitty low blood o2 makes you feel, it's like waking up every morning feeling like you've been hit by a truck.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    tomorrow is weigh in day!

I've been really good about diet and exercise this week so I expect I'll have gained a few pounds because my body loves to retain its fat

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Precision Nutrition has a sort of calculator you might find valuable, effectively it gives you the calorie total to aim for for your health goal (which you could skip) and then rudimentary like, this many handfuls of veggies, this many palms of meat, etc, per meal

You could then sort of eyeball your proteins, carbs, veggies, etc and use your hand as reference

It's not perfect of course, but if you find the actual calorie counting stressful that's a possibility

Otherwise, look into intuitive eating as a diet, that sort of sounds like it might be close to what you'd realistically be trying to achieve, though usually that does come a little easier if you've adjusted to calorie-wise how much your intake should be and then getting used to the lifestyle of eating that much/kind of food

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Yeah I had childhood asthma until I was like 6 or 8 or so. They had me using one of those misty inhaler machine things regularly when I was little.

Then it kinda went away.

But I would get occasional bouts of allergic stuffiness and headaches and tiredness but I've kinda forgot what asthma was like.

Right now whatever had been going on is like all the air getting pushed out of me as I exercise starting at my extremities and getting to the point where I hyperventilate after walking for a bit and not feeling able to fill lungs as my heart goes crazy. It's been getting a ton better though after the methylprednisalone and the higher dose of advair to 250 twice a day. I even helped carry in groceries yesterday which two weeks ago would have seemed impossible.

So here's hoping a good management regimen is all I need. I still need to get my CT of my chest but insurance wants a new x-ray first. I haven't heard back about the echocardiogram they did yet so hopefully that's good.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Cello wrote: »
    Otherwise, look into intuitive eating as a diet, that sort of sounds like it might be close to what you'd realistically be trying to achieve, though usually that does come a little easier if you've adjusted to calorie-wise how much your intake should be and then getting used to the lifestyle of eating that much/kind of food

I would suggest mindful eating over intuitive eating. For a bit of reference:

The two are often conflated, because they have a ton of common ground. They both say to listen to your body, to build connections with your food, neither approach involves counting calories (intuitive eating specifically rejects the idea; mindful eating is generally silent on the matter), neither approach is judgmental, and they're both process driven rather than outcome driven.

However, there are some very important differences. Most notably, the idea in intuitive eating that you should give yourself unconditional permission to eat. Whereas while mindful eating does encourage flexibility, it also wants you to slow down and think about your choices. That doesn't need to mean "count calories." But it does mean looking at the balance of food in your shopping cart, kitchen, and plate and being aware of your choices, and striving to make healthy, filling, and fulfilling choices. Mindful eating inherently places gentle restrictions on what we eat, by asking us to be considerate of what we're eating and why, and to understand when emotions are what drives hunger rather than need for food. Finally, mindful eating is also generally not opposed to weight loss, whereas intuitive eating is frequently opposed to weight loss.

As the registered dietician on the self.com article I linked above says:
    Here’s the thing: One of the core principles of intuitive eating is to respect your body or, at the very least, learn to be more neutral about it. Proponents of intuitive eating would argue that intentional weight loss is contradictory to body respect, because if you unconditionally respect your body, you wouldn’t go to so much trouble to make it smaller.

Now, these are labels. You can find people who are mindful eaters who call it intuitive eating and vice-versa. There's one school of thought that says intuitive eating fully encompasses mindful eating. As I say, they are very similar in a lot ways. But I feel that the differences exist, most notably that mindful eating does gently promote healthier eating and is not opposed to weight loss and that intuitive eating ultimately says to eat what feels good and is opposed to weight loss. Or to put their differences as I see them into philosophical terms, intuitive eating puts focus on trusting our instincts, while mindful eating wants us to focus our minds on what we're doing and why. For any person whose ultimate goal is weight loss, I feel that intuitive eating is probably not ideal.

And with all of that said, I'll end this with a snippet of one of those references above that talks about what I think that intuitive eating is very good at, and why it still can be an excellent thing for people:
    Intuitive eating is a scientifically-studied paradigm intended to help you heal your relationship with food. Research shows that intuitive eaters have less food preoccupation, lower rates of disordered and emotional eating, reduced stress, higher levels of self-esteem and contentment, and better body image. Studies have also shown intuitive eaters have improved cholesterol levels and improved metabolism. So not only does intuitive eating help you heal your relationship with food, it also can help improve your mental and physical health.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Another two miles done.

Me die now.

Feel good. No brain. So much sweat.

Gonna go play in autumn rain and wind.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've gained back all the weight I lost over the last couple of months (like, 5 pounds) in about two weeks after I fucked my leg up again. I just got pissed off and depressed and ate garbage and drank beer because why fuckin even bother.

I'm trying to start moving again, though, so today I broke out the jump rope for the first time in a hot minute. I did 3 circuits of 100 single unders, then 20 pushups, 100 single unders, 10 left and right body weight lunges, 100 single unders and then 15 bicycle crunches. I haven't moved like that in hot minute and I was absolutely gassed.

Gonna be a literal pain in the ass working through this.

• Options
    well it's weigh in day and there's good news and bad news

the good news is I lost 12 pounds!

the bad news is that my scale is broken because there's no way I lost 12 pounds in under a week =/

but at least it's broken in my favor so maybe I won't toss it

• Options
    I got new running shoes!

New running shoes make a big difference!

I went with Hokka, which I hadn't tried before, but heard good things and really happy with them. Felt great yesterday on my run, as they give me a bit more cushion and push that I'm used to.

Looking forward to testing them out on my long run this weekend.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

the bad news is that my scale is broken because there's no way I lost 12 pounds in under a week =/

My scale broke when I was around 290 in February of last year. The day after a 290 something weigh-in, I was 270 something, and then I was 260 something, and then I was 240 something, and it was definitely time to get a new scale. On the other hand, the body can move a lot of water weight on and off in a very short amount of time. To use another personal example, I weighed in at 200 on November 6, 210 on November 10, and was back at 200 on November 18. I definitely didn’t gain and lose ten pounds of tissue in that span.

One way or another, you didn’t lose twelve pounds in a week. And the scale being broken is probably the more likely explanation. But here’s hoping that the scale is right, and you’ve just been unlucky on the timing of previous weigh-ins!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I feel like I've lost weight

but my body doesn't look like it

maybe I really just lost 5lbs or something

I want one of those old timey Dr. scales that you can't break because it's a series of actual weights and not electronics that you step on

• Options
    I been recording myself climbing some of my projects to check out my technique and yeah, to post on social media and I'm still really proud/ surprised that for the first time in my life I have definition/ visible muscles.

It's even been commented by people who haven't seen me in a while.

Really puts how different my weight loss approach was this time. Usually it was always "cut as many calories as possible, run myself to exhaustion" and it gave me results but nothing I could stick to.

Now I watch my calories, but also cook much healthful, varied and filling meals and my workouts are goal focused.

It's really made a difference in my entire body, not just the scale.

bg3f8repqem3.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Look at dat shoulder definition. Great job all around.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also tangibly being able to do stuff you couldn't do x days/months/years before feels great to me always
    tynic wrote: »
    My sister, at a BMI of 17, was told to 'lose weight because it will fix your PCOS'
    yes PCOS is weight correlated (though there's some evidence the causality is the other way)
    telling someone who is already dangerously underweight to 'lose weight' because it's on your PCOS checklist was some next-level dumbassery though

edit: also my mother's stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer probably went undiagnosed for too long because multiple doctors dismissed her symptoms as 'merely' weight related. Which killed her. So I have some personal beef with the way the medical community deals with the intersection of weight and women's health, to say the least.

A friend of mine's sister had been struggling with abdominal pains for a year and kept having doctors say "sounds like bad PMS symptoms" or "stress" or "endo maybe?" and finally, finally they did scans and blood work that revealed that she has an incredibly rare type of liver cancer and needs a transplant as soon as possible. Then when they did an exploratory surgery the other week they realized it had spread throughout her abdominal cavity and it's really, really, bad news all around (she's still on the transplant list though).

It's incredibly frustrating and in this case terrifying that it may end up killing her because it took so long to get someone to do the right tests and believe her when she said she was in a non-standard type of pain and felt bad.

In related news I've decided to schedule an appointment with a dietician to work on a plan that will help me train and build what I eat and when around my sports activities, but I'm frankly worried that despite having specified "sports nutrition" in my email appointment booking I'm going to get there and they'll want to talk at me about dieting and weight loss.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    These pedal things are too close together I think. My knees want to be farther apart than that and it hurts on the inside of my thighs pretty bad. I'm sure it's fine, it's not like a gonna injure me pain it's probably just my adductors getting stress from not having used then much in a while and they are trying to hold my legs close enough to stay on the pedals.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to look into some kind of physical therapy to help me learn the best ways to get myself moving again without risking excess pain or injury once my pulmonologist can tell me what's up with my breathing. I spent the last half of last year almost bedridden from the apnea and stuff after all. I certainly had a lot of time to lose muscle mass laying around so much.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I have gone to the gym 36 times during February and March, either for swimming or rowing. Plus yinyoga Tuesday evenings.

It seems this new routine is working, yes.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    These pedal things are too close together I think. My knees want to be farther apart than that and it hurts on the inside of my thighs pretty bad. I'm sure it's fine, it's not like a gonna injure me pain it's probably just my adductors getting stress from not having used then much in a while and they are trying to hold my legs close enough to stay on the pedals.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to look into some kind of physical therapy to help me learn the best ways to get myself moving again without risking excess pain or injury once my pulmonologist can tell me what's up with my breathing. I spent the last half of last year almost bedridden from the apnea and stuff after all. I certainly had a lot of time to lose muscle mass laying around so much.

If the pedals are standard pedal threading (which is often the case as manufacturers can use off the shelf parts rather than custom, though not always) then you can get pedal spindle extenders which let your feet sit a bit further apart.

Something like so: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/PeSandy-Extenders-Chrome-Molybdenum-Extender-Extended/dp/B089ZVWPZR/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=pedal+extender&qid=1617286119&sr=8-6

One thing to bear in mind if you do go this route it that the left hand pedal is normally reverse threaded compared to normal. Anyone who has removed pedals will have, at least once, found themselves tightening rather than loosening a pedal and wondering why it's so hard.

• Options
    I don't think they are standard pedals unfortunately. I'll have to check again though.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Yeah sometimes these things aren't standard, but the attachement might be even if the pedals aren't. If you see what I mean. If you wanna chuck a photo up I can take a look and give my best guess.

• Options
    Looks like just steel bars and the pedal bit just slid over it and held on with a disk shaped clip.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I ran 317.2 km in March, for a total of 30:13:50 running, give or take. So, that’s a new personal best, one that I won’t be trying to better for a little while. Plus 3:51:26 or so of cycling, where I went about 67.62 km. Also, maintenance is going well. Highest weigh-in was 194, lowest 187, so all within the +/- 5 pound range of expected typical day-to-day fluctuations.
    bitocmti6xl4.jpeg

Also, I just had some jerk chicken with a little bit of three year aged applewood smoked cheddar melted over it, and that was pretty darned tasty. Definitely having that again soon.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

back up to no weight loss in 3 full months

definitely a busted scale =/

• Options
    This may sound dumb, but I didn't realize how much switching my running shoes would make a difference.

My Brooks had gotten worn out so I bought new shoes. Went with Hokkas Arahi 5 this time because I actually read reviews and they seemed like one of the best stability shoes out there.

My strides feel much more comfortable and all my weekly runs were much faster than usual. Really curious how my long run will be tomorrow!

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    How many miles did you have on your previous pair? I typically get to around 400 miles before switching out and depending on the shoe that feels like I'm pushing it.

• Options
    Per Strava 610, so yeah, probably should have switched them out sooner!

I think I may get a shoe for my long runs exclusively, to at least mitigate the wear down.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You only really notice the wear properly when you get a new pair and compare the two

Get a new pair of climbing shoes and look at your old pair, it's like

oh shit

• Options
    I change mine when they get holes

... I'm being informed that this is 'not often enough'

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I've heard anything from 300-600 miles, but of course it depends a lot on various factors of gait, running surface, etc. It is good to replace them every so often though.

Mine tend to get to where they're noticeably worn and then they "retire" to a pile in my basement where they become work shoes of some kind.

• Options
    real talk I should change mine at least once a year, but I'm cheap so I don't and I wear them until they're basically no longer functional. This usually coincides with me moving house/state/country, at which point I decide i shouldn't waste packing space on them and donate them to a friend's dog, to eat at their leisure.

I am very popular with my friends' dogs.

• Options
    Scale reads magic number.

Boooom!

I did my measurements yesterday as well. My torso numbers all look good. But I think we're struggling to find the same place on the legs and arms to measure as they fluctuate like crazy.

Like, one calf gained 3cm resume the other lost 1.5cm

Which is just off.

So I'll be ignoring the thigh, calf, and bicep measurements and just focus on the bust, upper Belly, waist, and hips.

• Options
    I imagine it's probably really hard to nail the exact same spot on your calf at the exact same angle, and calves taper dramatically so any difference is gonna be huge

You could put some sharpie guidelines on your leg?

• Options

I’ve been waiting for my annual benefits plan to kick in before buying new shoes. My feet are paying the price - lots of blisters in the past few weeks from running down a damp trail in old shoes. But now my benefits are refreshed. The plan is to get another pair of Saucony Ride 10s, and then I’m thinking a pair of Nike Pegasus as my alternatives.

• Options
    Start of April measurements
    Bust 123cm
    Upper Belly 130cm
    Waist 121 cm
    Hips 156 cm

January Measurements
    Bust 126cm
    Upper Belly 136
    Waist 125
    Hips 161

And I only do the measures over a month, otherwise the Sharpie might just be an idea

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Friday weigh-in
    Last week: 161 lbs
    This week: 159 lbs

I've been allowing myself cheat days on weekends. I still do intermittent fasting every day, but on weekends I can have a snack that contains real sugar and/or real flour. Today I played some local multiplayer Monster Hunter and had some pizza (and homemade dango).

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    First time running in like a month. Maybe 3 miles on a hot day with a full stomach at 2pm wasn't a great idea.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig