As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Like every other sports game The Show makes its real money from selling whatever its virtual currency is.

Being on Gamepass isn't gonna change that.
    It might end up being good for the game, financially, in the long run.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They merged together the addons. I don't like that. For example, if you look for the addons for a Batman game, you get the addons for all of the Batman games.

• Options
    Does Batman: Return to Arkham have all of the DLC?

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yes. It regularly goes on sale for $9.99, though, so I wouldn't buy it now.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »

Yes. It regularly goes on sale for $9.99, though, so I wouldn't buy it now.

I already have it. That was a really good remastering.

• Options
    I still haven't played Death Stranding.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular

You dodged a bullet, most boring game I’ve ever had the misfortune of encountering

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

You dodged a bullet, most boring game I’ve ever had the misfortune of encountering
    Strong disagree, but I understand. The story is….hoo boy. But I put about 60 hours into building out the traversal mechanics and it was (to me) very cool and meditative.

• Options
    His poo and pee are weapons.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Don’t forget blood and sweat.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Strong disagree, but I understand. The story is….hoo boy. But I put about 60 hours into building out the traversal mechanics and it was (to me) very cool and meditative.

Death Stranding was my favorite game of last year. I bounced off FF7R hard and put that game in and it never left my console. There was something about it that clicked with me. I contemplated going for platinum but after looking it up I figured I would have to spend another 45 hours to get it. I decided against it because then my last memory of the game would be forcing myself to 100% it and that didn't sound like fun.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I need to try it, but I'm a story guy. So the story's that bad?

I still need to work up the guts to play Metal Gear Solid V, but I'm having a hard time getting past Quiet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I still need to work up the guts to play Metal Gear Solid V, but I'm having a hard time getting past Quiet.

I thought it was fine. It was almost too real because I played it at the beginning of the pandemic and it talks about how the virus spread and how people don't shake hands anymore and other stuff.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I thought it was fine. It was almost too real because I played it at the beginning of the pandemic and it talks about how the virus spread and how people don't shake hands anymore and other stuff.

Wouldn't be the first time Kojima has turned out to be a prophet. :bro:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I’m really genuinely surprised at how many people apparently liked the gameplay; I tried really hard to get into it; probably put in 20 hours and just found the whole slowly go from point a to point b with relatively little happening in between soul crushing in its monotony

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    I’m really genuinely surprised at how many people apparently liked the gameplay; I tried really hard to get into it; probably put in 20 hours and just found the whole slowly go from point a to point b with relatively little happening in between soul crushing in its monotony
    That’s …. kind of the point. It is intentionally difficult and boring because that world is difficult and boring. But then you get some upgrades to the traversal system and it becomes something else, like I said, meditative.

The story is wacko, but it is interesting at least. It’s about 30% too MUCH of Kojima, and some of the dialogue, oofa doofa. The concept could have been incredibly nuanced in another director’s hands but then it wouldn’t be Kojima.

I don’t fault anyone for disliking it but I loved it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The problem with trying to make a bad thing on purpose as a statement is threefold. One, it takes a super deft hand to actually properly pull it off, a hand Kojima has been very hit or miss on. Two, having an audience intelligent enough to know and recognize it. Which is again, real hit or miss. But even if you manage to pull everything off, you often than not run into issue three. An issue I like to sum up with the following metaphor:

Sure, you purposefully shit on the rug. Maybe I understand the statement, and maybe I even agree with the statement. That's great and all. But... the room still stinks of shit, and I don't really want to be in it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    That’s …. kind of the point. It is intentionally difficult and boring because that world is difficult and boring. But then you get some upgrades to the traversal system and it becomes something else, like I said, meditative.

The story is wacko, but it is interesting at least. It’s about 30% too MUCH of Kojima, and some of the dialogue, oofa doofa. The concept could have been incredibly nuanced in another director’s hands but then it wouldn’t be Kojima.

Same. I loved it. It was meditative and unique and challenging - but so divisive. I basically held down on the triggers the entire game, which made you move about 30% more slowly but also basically prevented you from falling over - I feel like a lot of people who bounced off of it hard or called it a "falling down simulator" never figured out that you could do that and avoid a lot of the frustration.

Story was B-tier at best and full of eye-roll-worthy Kojima exposition, but it looked good and the world was gorgeous. I dunno. I blasted through it in a week, it was basically all I thought about for that week, and I think back on it SUPER fondly. Part of me wishes that I could have played it for the first time last year, because it seems like it'd be a really good "pandemic game" when trapped indoors. But maybe that's too on-the-nose.

Would love love love a sequel, but it's not gonna happen.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Same. I loved it. It was meditative and unique and challenging - but so divisive. I basically held down on the triggers the entire game, which made you move about 30% more slowly but also basically prevented you from falling over - I feel like a lot of people who bounced off of it hard or called it a "falling down simulator" never figured out that you could do that and avoid a lot of the frustration.

Story was B-tier at best and full of eye-roll-worthy Kojima exposition, but it looked good and the world was gorgeous. I dunno. I blasted through it in a week, it was basically all I thought about for that week, and I think back on it SUPER fondly. Part of me wishes that I could have played it for the first time last year, because it seems like it'd be a really good "pandemic game" when trapped indoors. But maybe that's too on-the-nose.

I never had a problem with the difficulty; I love difficult games, throw me souls likes all day I just found it boring and not particularly challenging. Now I see people calling it “meditative” and maybe that’s true and why I hate it; I find meditation or anything sitting around not doing much boring too

• Options
    Getting those upgrades and building zip lines that reduce the walking time from 20 minutes to 20 seconds was so satisfying.

• Options
    There is a community feel to Death Stranding. I probably should play it before the online part of it shuts down.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Speaking of stuff that you want the online active for, I finally went and finished up the story for Nier: Automata. That was quite the ride. The game wasn’t perfect (the combat is no Bayonetta, for one, and parts of the story are kinda confusing), but much of it was really good. I had a good time exploring the story, the world was gorgeous in a lot of places, and I thought it ended quite well.

• Options

I never had a problem with the difficulty; I love difficult games, throw me souls likes all day I just found it boring and not particularly challenging. Now I see people calling it “meditative” and maybe that’s true and why I hate it; I find meditation or anything sitting around not doing much boring too
    Oh, don’t get me wrong here: I dislike actual meditation too. But this and Destiny and like Civilization are games that I can slip my brain into a mode where I don’t think about what is going on in life and in the world and I can sink into it. Sometimes I’m watching a video or listening to a podcast, but sometimes it’s just the ambient game audio. My brain tends to run way too fast during actual meditation-type activities. Games allow it to get into a loop to occupy itself even (and maybe especially) when it’s boring.

• Options
    I wish they had a way to keep the online stuff up forever.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

Respect. I think I was in the perfect headspace for it at the time, but I could see how it could be boring.

In other news, I've been plowing through the indies that I picked up in the recent PSN sale and I'm 3/3 on loving the purchases. Carto was wonderfully breezy and charming, a perfect palette warm-up for a couple of nights; Children of Morta was really engaging and gorgeous and occupied my brain for like a week while I chased 100% completion; and now Ikenfell is absolutely giving me the Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga vibes that I've been craving (and goodness the MUSIC).

Probably gonna blast through Creaks next, once I finish Ikenfell, and then maybe Kentucky Route Zero? My backlog was already embarrassing, but I still feel that picking up a bunch of indies for cheap and blasting through them is precisely what I need right now. Giving me a variety of different experiences and feeding my goal-oriented game completionist nature.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    I wish they had a way to keep the online stuff up forever.

Most of the stuff I used from others were from people who hadn't played in months. So they will likely curate some stuff for folks.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I booted my PS4 Pro up for the first time since I think mid last year?

I guess between updates something went screwy with how my TV does 4K and HDR and i was having a bugger of a time getting games to play in 4K with HDR on.

Turns out my TV doesn’t like it when a game is set to HDR On in its game settings, it likes it to be off and the TV itself handles it. Once I figured that out and forced HDR10 on that HDMI port, back to glorious visuals.

That took more troubleshooting effort than I’ve ever had to do for my PC.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Enlong wrote: »
    Speaking of stuff that you want the online active for, I finally went and finished up the story for Nier: Automata. That was quite the ride. The game wasn’t perfect (the combat is no Bayonetta, for one, and parts of the story are kinda confusing), but much of it was really good. I had a good time exploring the story, the world was gorgeous in a lot of places, and I thought it ended quite well.
    There's a TON of amazing stuff from the ten millennia before Automata online, mostly from the books. The whole link from Drakengard > Gestalt/Replicant > Automata
    It's just heartbreak upon heartbreak tho. Sadness³

you should read it all anyway, I need someone to talk about that stuff.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    There is a community feel to Death Stranding. I probably should play it before the online part of it shuts down.

That feeling of fellowship when you discover someone's built something in just the right spot to make what you're trying to do 100% easier was really something. And when you get notifications that people are using what you've built.

I spent a LOT of time building roads, I believe I built every piece of road possible.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The story isn't amazing, but I really liked that it doesn't actually take itself too seriously and that it also pretty much explains everything that happened, no matter how weird it seems. It's leap and bounds better than what Metal Gear ended up turning into.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    The problem is that everyone explains every piece of the obvious stuff 12 times over, like how people are named for example.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The problem is that everyone explains every piece of the obvious stuff 12 times over, like how people are named for example.

I think it comes from the open-world nature of the game and them not wanting you to miss this information, which is of course badly planned. I've also seen this happen a lot with newer anime shows, and from what I've read is that it's done so that people who missed an episode, don't lose context of something. It definitely does get tiring.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

I think it comes from the open-world nature of the game and them not wanting you to miss this information, which is of course badly planned. I've also seen this happen a lot with newer anime shows, and from what I've read is that it's done so that people who missed an episode, don't lose context of something. It definitely does get tiring.

That reminds me of the comics I read in the 80s and 90s. Since every comic is potentially some kid's first issue, it was common for writers to throw in a line or two about how the hero's powers worked in almost every issue. It was particularly obnoxious on team books, which would often have several such lines in a single issue.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

That reminds me of the comics I read in the 80s and 90s. Since every comic is potentially some kid's first issue, it was common for writers to throw in a line or two about how the hero's powers worked in almost every issue. It was particularly obnoxious on team books, which would often have several such lines in a single issue.

I'm gonna summon the focused totality of my politeness and let this comment slide this time. Because I'm the best there is at what I do, which is not making a scene over minor disagreements.
    It becomes really funny when you're reading a collection from that era and see it happen over and over again every couple of pages.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Days Gone is up as PS Plus free download and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Seems like a pretty good acceptable, open world game and I could go for that right now.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Seems like a pretty good acceptable, open world game and I could go for that right now.

The characters and story are kind of bad, but once the gameplay gets its groove going (probably around Lost Lake) it's pretty fun.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Aw... I liked the protag's story.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

It's been said before, but Days Gone only really has 2 big flaws. A zombie setting that people were already starting to tire of after years of saturation. And it's an open world game on a system with a metric ton of great open world games that you'd probably want to play first.

If zombies don't make you... well groan like a zombie, and you've already played most of the other must haves on the PS4... it's a really good game!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

It's been said before, but Days Gone only really has 2 big flaws. A zombie setting that people were already starting to tire of after years of saturation. And it's an open world game on a system with a metric ton of great open world games that you'd probably want to play first.

If zombies don't make you... well groan like a zombie, and you've already played most of the other must haves on the PS4... it's a really good game!

Yeah, if you haven't played Spider-man / Miles Morales, Ghost of Tsushima, or Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'd 100% play those before Days Gone.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Reggie provided two more videos about games you might want to grab before the store shuts down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvk1i-55ETc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6EYngm13w

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!