As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    And I bet Facebook will see 0 repercussions

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    This while our government wants social media companies to collect enough ID on us to be able to ascertain identities behind users online.

Solid plan, fellas.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Good thing I haven't logged into Facebook in 5 years then. Anything on there is woefully out of date.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    At last, my long con of never having a Facebook account is paying off.

Edit: wait, I forgot I created one for a freelancing platform back in the Poverty Years. But I didn't add any phone numbers or locations or really anything other than my email. So I guess they have my gmail, which is just a first initial/last name combo that a robot probably would have guessed.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ahh family. My dad just got really excited to tell me he just bought a drone for cheap! He showed me the order and the website....

So I guess I have shit my dad down and explain internet literacy to him.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

LG is totally exiting the smartphone market. They’ll continue to sell their current phones (until stock runs out?) and will support their existing devices for an unspecified amount of time (that will vary by region), but they’re stopping all development of phone hardware and software otherwise.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Considering how my last LG phone experience went, that support commitment is pretty meaningless. My LG G6 went from good value no-frills Android phone to super slow POS with a broken headphone jack and negative battery life in the span of 14 months and one update.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    What is the threshold where someone becomes an Apple Person? I got an older iPhone after a string of Androids never getting updates, and then I got an iPad to draw on and replace my Kindle since the phone launched in 2015 was still getting updates in 2021. All that's left is a newish laptop with one of the shiny new Ryzen chips and it's very possible I'll replace it with an iWhatzit in 5-10 years.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If you can tolerate the Apple OS and have the majority of your technology in that ecosystem, then you're already there, lol.

The OS interface is the only thing keeping me on Android anymore. I hate Apple's but the level of buggy an Android app is allowed to be is so frustrating.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    BRING 👏 BACK 👏 SYMBIAN

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    No joke. My first smart phone was a 3GS. Now, I won't even touch my mother's X or whatever the fuck version of iPhone she's got. People say that iOS is really intuitive, but I just don't see it. Maybe it's decades of Windows that's insulated me from Apple.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I've got a flip phone with KaiOS on it.

If this OS is good enough for King Kai, then it is good enough for me.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I can't wait till fold-able screens get good

wanna get a new Razr

Krieghund wrote: »
    No joke. My first smart phone was a 3GS. Now, I won't even touch my mother's X or whatever the fuck version of iPhone she's got. People say that iOS is really intuitive, but I just don't see it. Maybe it's decades of Windows that's insulated me from Apple.

I don't know how relevant much of iOS interface is to many of its users. My wife love her iPhone 8 and she didn't even know the swipe-up menu was there until I showed it to her.

Where iOS shines is the apps and store. It's a more controlled environment but the apps work as intended far more reliably than on Android.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Butters wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

I don't know how relevant much of iOS interface is to many of its users. My wife love her iPhone 8 and she didn't even know the swipe-up menu was there until I showed it to her.

Where iOS shines is the apps and store. It's a more controlled environment but the apps work as intended far more reliably than on Android.

I think that's it. I basically never touch or see any of the OS chrome except for the swipe menus/drawers/whatever Apple calls it.

MKR on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The one single thing that annoys me the most about my phone is the volume controls.
    1. Turn off the sound on my phone.
    2. Open an app
    3. Become deaf as the app ignores my phone's volume settings, blasting the app sounds as loud as it wants.

This shit isn't allowed on the desktop. If I mute the sound on my computer, no app is allowed to override that. Why is it ok on the phone?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Last week I switched from an Oneplus 5T to a 12 mini and I love it. A big part of that does have to do with how much smaller the phone is and how unnecessarily large it made my 5T feel. Having such a small phone again that I can use with one hand is just so nice. It does help that I'm not someone who is constantly looking at their phone nor do I play any games on my phone. If I have more than 2 hours of screen on time then I was using my phone too much during the day.

The transition took some relearning but I'm used to using swipe actions that it was pretty minimal. Notifications are not handled as well on iOS and that was to be expected. However, for my needs it's perfectly fine. The integration between my Apple Watch and phone is far far better than it ever was with a Samsung watch. There's just a much more cohesive and uniform look and feel to phone and watch ecosystem. App settings are as buried and varied as Android, and most of them are now in the app as opposed to the main settings like they used to be.

My only real complaints come from apps not working the way I was used to on Android. Mostly with Tweetbot not letting me set a limit of how many tweets display on refresh (a max of 200), and Inoreader not consistently swiping to the next update if an image is scaled down to fit on the screen (I have Reeder 5 installed too which has it's own quirks). There are also more steps to opening links directly into associated apps for things like Reddit, Twitter, Twitch, and YouTube, but I have alleviated some of that with another app called Opener. The loss of a finger print reader is annoying when wearing a mask, but iOS 14.5 will take care of that issue in the coming weeks (and using a pin code isn't too bad until then).

It's funny though. I used to be very anti-Apple anything, but now I'm just anti-Mac OS. Having actually used iOS for almost two weeks I've really come to like it. It's not perfect, nor is Android, but in many ways they're just two different ways of doing pretty much the same thing. Slight differences here and there but mostly interchangeable.

I don't ever see myself getting a Apple computer, that's just a bridge too far for me, but having used both phone OS's I'm fine with either one. For now though, especially with an Apple Watch, iOS is what I prefer.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The one single thing that annoys me the most about my phone is the volume controls.
    2. Open an app
    3. Become deaf as the app ignores my phone's volume settings, blasting the app sounds as loud as it wants.

This shit isn't allowed on the desktop. If I mute the sound on my computer, no app is allowed to override that. Why is it ok on the phone?

is that an iOS thing? or just some android apps? Never run into that problem with any of the stuff I use on my android.
    alternately: are you adjusting media volume or just ringer volume

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    2. Open an app

is that an iOS thing? or just some android apps? Never run into that problem with any of the stuff I use on my android.
    alternately: are you adjusting media volume or just ringer volume

I'm on android. I use the physical "volume down" button on the side of the phone or the "volume down" slider on the control panel thingy you pull down to bring up. Apps proceed to ignore it.

Which is the same way I adjust the volume on my macbook. Open up the volume slider and pull it up or down: adjusts volume for all apps simultaneously.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I bet android lets apps seize volume control stupidly, dumb shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It could also be that you're only adjusting one type of sound down. So for me, if I use my volume buttons on the main screen, it reduces the ringtone sound, but it doesn't reduce the media, notifications or system volumes. The exception being, if I reduce the ringtone all the way down to nothing, everything (except media) will also be nothing. Have a look when changing the volume and see what it says you're changing (if your phone shows that).

"A switch has silently been flipped in millions of instances of Google Chrome: those browsers will begin sorting their users into groups based on behavior, then sharing group labels with third-party trackers and advertisers around the web."
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/03/google-testing-its-controversial-new-ad-targeting-tech-millions-browsers-heres

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    stop using chrome y'all

like seriously

letting google have like 70% of the browser market and enabling them call shots like this is fuckin absurd

Zxerol on
    Back to firefox I guess?

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I've got a flip phone with KaiOS on it.

If this OS is good enough for King Kai, then it is good enough for me.

I've been wanting to pick up a KaiOS phone, to stop myself always checking my smartphone, but still be able to whatsapp family.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Back to firefox I guess?

I've always preferred it anyway

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Been with firefox since forever. Does that apply to Edge since it's chromium based isn't it?

Also, good news everybody! Got my hands on a VCR that works great! First one wouldn't eject my tape, had to disassemble it and break some parts to get the tape out. Second one had a super slow mechanism that worried me as soon as I inserted a tape, but it said nope and immediately ejected the tape.

swphreak on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Firefox ran way too slow on my work comp compared to chrome but I think I am gonna look at it for my personal computer

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have a Google phone

My assumption is that they have been collecting all my data for a long time anyway already

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah like, they're not going to be learning anything new

the algorithm will just put me in the "sad pervert" group

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I hope I'm in the happy pervert group.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    It is very hard not to be fatalistic about privacy when the results of people pointing out that phones spy on you was:

"Nuh uh" and then we just all moved on.

zkHcp.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm giving Firefox a proper try because of this. The text on some sites looks different and that'll take some getting used to.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I mean, at least one good thing from the GOOG happened recently - they won the API fair use case at SCOTUS.
    Applying the principles of the Court’s precedents and Congress’codification of the fair use doctrine to the distinct copyrighted workhere, the Court concludes that Google’s copying of the API to reimple-ment a user interface, taking only what was needed to allow users to put their accrued talents to work in a new and transformative pro-gram, constituted a fair use of that material as a matter of law.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/18-956_d18f.pdf

So, we can all take the Chrome APIs an make our own browsers with blackjack, and no tracking of PII.

edited April 2021
    It's surprisingly hard to find browsers other than Chrome on iOS that have pull to refresh. So far the only other one I've found is Opera which seems pretty good. Two complaints though: no reader mode and when you swipe back the page doesn't refresh. Firefox is also good and at least puts the refresh button on the center of the bottom toolbar.

Browser based ad block is a non-issue for me because I use NextDNS for system level ad blocking.

Cormac on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Firefox has been my go to since Google disabled the ability to use ad blockers in chrome. It is not perfect, still missing a ton of extensions since the last big update, but I can't browse without an ad blocker anymore.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Cormac wrote: »
    It's surprisingly hard to find browsers other than Chrome on iOS that have pull to refresh. So far the only other one I've found is Opera which seems pretty good. Two complaints though: no reader mode and when you swipe back the page doesn't refresh. Firefox is also good and at least puts the refresh button on the center of the bottom toolbar.

Browser based adblock is a non-issue for me because I use an ad blocking DNS for system wide adblock with NextDNS.

Browsers on iOS are more-or-less glitzy interfaces around webkit since Apple doesn't allow anything other than their own browser framework on the platform. It's a case of one of those Apple-knows-best heavy handed things that ends up working out.

So consider switching away from Chrome unless you're on iOS in which case you're basically just using Safari anyway, I guess.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Firefox has been my go to since Google disabled the ability to use ad blockers in chrome. It is not perfect, still missing a ton of extensions since the last big update, but I can't browse without an ad blocker anymore.

wait what?

I'm using an ad blocker right now

This discussion has been closed.