As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Man I got mega shut down on a problem today

And alright, 7As on grit are hard (especially when one has spent the last four or five months on limestone, with limited grit experience ever), and I developed a couple of moves, but it was in my style, and I felt like I could do it, but my mental game was not there, I wasn't focused, I wasn't working the moves effectively... it just felt frustrating

Another guy there just cruised it and I did my classic thing of being like "I have been doing this for over a year now, less than two, but still over a year, and I am getting shut down and other people are succeeding" etc etc etc

The flipside of living where I do (access to a lot of local rock, fantastic world class stuff, and also like a local psyche and level of commitment and quality in local climbers which is better than anywhere else in the UK) is that also I often feel like I am pretty crap because I live in a city where people who are really, really good specifically go to live and also like, people like the best female boulderer in the UK goes to the same gym as me, the world's best crack climber also goes to that gym and so on and so on. Which is great but it does like, make me feel a bit intimidated by the huge gulf above me in terms of capability.

Ah well. I did a 6A classic problem, a 6A+ roof and a 6B short arete and the 6A especially is a real ticklist must do, which is cool. But still. I need to balance being really psyched with also being mellow about my progress and such. And I really need to push through my problem with heights, which sometimes is fine, and sometimes is like argh,

Solar on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have been breathing a bit better still but still don't have much energy to move much lately. Too many aches and pains and reluctance to push it and get short of breath again...

I suppose I need to start actually trying to eat better. But I'm so scared of burning out I'm reluctant to do that too. Tracking anything takes so much effort that I just don't have the energy for. Hell I'm scared to start because I know it's going to hurt regardless. Even a few hundred less calories will hurt. I don't like to hurt.

I'm having a bad brain night. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better. I don't know.

At least I've made it through all of March with no sugar soda...

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I have been breathing a bit better still but still don't have much energy to move much lately. Too many aches and pains and reluctance to push it and get short of breath again...

I suppose I need to start actually trying to eat better. But I'm so scared of burning out I'm reluctant to do that too. Tracking anything takes so much effort that I just don't have the energy for. Hell I'm scared to start because I know it's going to hurt regardless. Even a few hundred less calories will hurt. I don't like to hurt.

I'm having a bad brain night. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better. I don't know.

At least I've made it through all of March with no sugar soda...

With regards to eating better, maybe initially consider a plan that doesn’t involve much tracking, but that initially focuses just on making healthy food choices? Like, set aside say 300 calories a day or 2100 calories a week for junk food. That’s a small bag of chips or a regular sized chocolate bar or a cupcake or some form of treat every day, or if taking the weekly approach it’s half a pizza each day on the weekends. And then for the rest of the calories, eat all healthy food until you feel full? Eat stuff like fruit and vegetables, chicken/turkey/pork/fish/lean beef, sweet potatoes, quinoa, beans, eggs, rice, oatmeal, nuts, seeds, Greek yogurt, etc, with no calorie counting on that part of your diet. Basically, replacing “I feel hungry, I’m going to have some goldfish” (or whatever) with “I feel hungry, I’ll have some scrambled eggs and a banana.”

That sort of approach will probably eventually stall out for most people, but it might be successful for you early on. Since the only thing you’re actually tracking is “did I have my reasonable treat for the day or not” it would hopefully be less stressful. If any of your health issues are related to deficiencies in your current diet it might help in that way too.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    8 miles walked today, which was fine, and the hour sat on the beach in the middle with a beer was lovely.

What wasn't so good is either my boots or socks aren't right and now I have two pea sized blisters on my right foot and one on my left. Both feet have one on the inner of the ball of the foor and my right little toe is the third.

Not hugely painful but irritating enough.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I did so well yesterday avoiding chocolate and brownies and things.

But then the gulab jamun came out and I lost any semblance of control.

I should not be allowed anywhere near Indian food. Especially sweets. I lose all willpower

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    got an apple watch in part to track my workouts, so I can finally see how hard Supernatural VR is getting me to work

6rtkrdpye2as.png

Seems decent?

Fearghaill wrote: »
    got an apple watch in part to track my workouts, so I can finally see how hard Supernatural VR is getting me to work

6rtkrdpye2as.png

Seems decent?

On a minute by minute basis, it’s basically what I burn while running. So I’d say it’s a pretty darn good workout.

ip0vye7ft9p2.jpeg

On that note, I ran a half marathon distance for the first time tonight, in 1:58:00.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

And alright, 7As on grit are hard (especially when one has spent the last four or five months on limestone, with limited grit experience ever), and I developed a couple of moves, but it was in my style, and I felt like I could do it, but my mental game was not there, I wasn't focused, I wasn't working the moves effectively... it just felt frustrating

Another guy there just cruised it and I did my classic thing of being like "I have been doing this for over a year now, less than two, but still over a year, and I am getting shut down and other people are succeeding" etc etc etc

The flipside of living where I do (access to a lot of local rock, fantastic world class stuff, and also like a local psyche and level of commitment and quality in local climbers which is better than anywhere else in the UK) is that also I often feel like I am pretty crap because I live in a city where people who are really, really good specifically go to live and also like, people like the best female boulderer in the UK goes to the same gym as me, the world's best crack climber also goes to that gym and so on and so on. Which is great but it does like, make me feel a bit intimidated by the huge gulf above me in terms of capability.

Ah well. I did a 6A classic problem, a 6A+ roof and a 6B short arete and the 6A especially is a real ticklist must do, which is cool. But still. I need to balance being really psyched with also being mellow about my progress and such. And I really need to push through my problem with heights, which sometimes is fine, and sometimes is like argh,

I definately feel this! Climbing is so easy to just watch people move through problems that you're working on it and make it look so easy that you doubt your ability. It doesn't help that I think climbers have a tendency to show off. There's def been times when someone works a problem I been working on who clearly climbs at a higher level normally.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

I definately feel this! Climbing is so easy to just watch people move through problems that you're working on it and make it look so easy that you doubt your ability. It doesn't help that I think climbers have a tendency to show off. There's def been times when someone works a problem I been working on who clearly climbs at a higher level normally.

Yeah like I enjoy watching stronger climbers and I think it's good to watch strong climbers and see if you can emulate them because that's how you improve. And yeah if I was indoors trying something and a local Wad just flashed it before me I might be a little like "are you just flexing on me mate" but even then eh indoor problems I don't get attached to. And outdoors if I go to try a really classic well known three star problem and someone else turns up and does it, sure fine, like why not? It's a great problem, that's why I'm there, that this person might have done 7C or whatever doesn't mean they aren't entirely entitled to give a 7A classic (or indeed any problem!) a go even if someone else is working it.

So I do agree but in this case I'm not resentful of someone else for cruising it I'm more just frustrated with myself for getting shut down so hard, but also for being bothered at getting shut down so hard. But also it makes me really want to send the problem so I will be going back. Just like... I dunno I started in mid 2019 and now I feel a bit like I should be better than I am given the time and effort I've put into it, you know? But maybe that is arrogance. I dunno. I just feel a bit bummed about it tbh.

I have just ordered two new pairs of shoes mind you. Gritstone just fucks your shoes and it has definitely finished mine off

Shoes.jpg

Godspeed, lads. You can rest in the board room now

edited April 2021
    Took a big step this weekend and got rid of all my jeans that don't fit me anymore because they're too big.

It's scary bc until now these were the smallest size I had ever worn and so right now I just have the ones I been buying recently.

I think there's always going to be that voice in the back of my head that tells me I should have kept bc I'll eventually return to that weight, but I'm trying not to listen to it.

Also I never been comfortable or proud of my body so I never put too much effort into my outfits. I'm trying to change that, to pretty good results so far. Since I never felt comfortable with my body I never wanted to draw attention to it, so now I'm steering into the opposite reaction and going with brighter colors and more form fitting shirts. It still feels odd walking out in some of these outfits (The right picture specially) as I'm nervous about the reaction but trying to push through those feelings.

hiu8079hzbvc.jpg

Kyougu on
    So the thing with my close friend and talking about my diet and fitness stuff has gotten worse.

They lost like 15 pounds in a month and I feel like they are disappointed with me for not making drastic changes the same way and when I try to talk about it they get upset at me and tell me l am choosing to not change and choosing to be negative.

It hurts. Talking to them has been the only thing getting me through the pandemic and now I don't want to anymore because I'm always going to be a disappointment and make them angry when I try to talk about how I feel.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Took a big step this weekend and got rid of all my jeans that don't fit me anymore because they're too big.

It's scary bc until now these were the smallest size I had ever worn and so right now I just have the ones I been buying recently.

I think there's always going to be that voice in the back of my head that tells me I should have kept bc I'll eventually return to that weight, but I'm trying not to listen to it.

Also I never been comfortable or proud of my body so I never put too much effort into my outfits. I'm trying to change that, to pretty good results so far. Since I never felt comfortable with my body I never wanted to draw attention to it, so now I'm steering into the opposite reaction and going with brighter colors and more form fitting shirts. It still feels odd walking out in some of these outfits (The right picture specially) as I'm nervous about the reaction but trying to push through those feelings.

hiu8079hzbvc.jpg

Both outfits are good, but that combination of the teal pants and patterned shirt is killing it. The bold colors work well for you.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    VR game hurts legs...

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So the thing with my close friend and talking about my diet and fitness stuff has gotten worse.

They lost like 15 pounds in a month and I feel like they are disappointed with me for not making drastic changes the same way and when I try to talk about it they get upset at me and tell me l am choosing to not change and choosing to be negative.

It hurts. Talking to them has been the only thing getting me through the pandemic and now I don't want to anymore because I'm always going to be a disappointment and make them angry when I try to talk about how I feel.

Honestly 15 pounds in a month sounds a bit too much too fast. Slower weight loss is boring but more sustainable. Traditional wisdom is that two pounds per week or about eight and a half pounds per month is the most you should be losing without consulting a doctor about it. Now, granted a lot of that weight loss might be water weight people experience losing when they start dieting and/or exercising but at some point you're just bragging about how much you've been pissing and shitting.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Honestly 15 pounds in a month sounds a bit too much too fast. Slower weight loss is boring but more sustainable. Traditional wisdom is that two pounds per week or about eight and a half pounds per month is the most you should be losing without consulting a doctor about it. Now, granted a lot of that weight loss might be water weight people experience losing when they start dieting and/or exercising but at some point you're just bragging about how much you've been pissing and shitting.

It depends on how heavy you are too. If your 400lbs you can sustain a higher weightless initially. It takes a lot of calories to maintain a body at that weight, so reducing intake can see some substantial weight loss up front. Deffinitely as someone approaches a baseline weight/fat% range for their specific body type it should definitely be slowed down. Especially to give time for skin to adjust as well.

webguy20 on
    I should really wear my smart watch while I play vr stuff so I can track my heart rate.

I don't think it was getting super high because I wasn't able to keep at it super long but it hurts my legs like crazy to stand up for very long.

I did get two plays out the first level is pistol whip and one play of a short song in beat saber. So like 10 minutes maybe including loading between games.

My legs must be so atrophied from laying around last year. I had an extra breakfast shake after playing to get some (15g) protein in. Maybe I'll have a protein bar for lunch too so I can start building those muscles back up. I'm going to try to play a little bit most weekdays and work my way up to like an hour of play at a time by the end of summer. I think trying to get decent scores and clear higher difficulty levels will help motivate me a bit.l if I can stick with it.

Now that I and many of my friends are fully vaccinated I signed up for a volleyball league.

I always actually loved team sports even though I never been great at them. Just enjoy the idea of playing with friends and competing.

I'm okay at volleyball, can at least get my returns over the net with some consistency but I'm curious to see how my new level of fitness has affected my game.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Well I weighed in under 180lbs for the first time in probably 5 years yesterday.

I also still appear to be building strength/muscle at the same time.

I'm not sure how much longer it'll last that both of these are true simultaneously but I'm not unhappy about it.

I need to get my bike figured out though. This winter was the first time I had to keep it outdoors so I'm not really sure what all I need to do to check it out. The tires obviously need air. But unsure on like brakes/shifters/chain/etc care

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I bought an agility ladder that you lay on the floor and do shuffles and stuff over.

Holy shit. You wouldn't think doing little jogs up and down some sticks on the ground would be that intense of a work out but 2 circuits of four different shuffles up and down 8 times each and I am absolutely gassed. Like, 10 minutes worth of exercise and I'm done.

It's maybe $20 on Amazon and I think 12' long? Obviously you can adjust it and wrap it up for storage. If you're looking for some at home, explosive HIIT grab one and pair it with your jump rope.

Juggernut on

hiu8079hzbvc.jpg

Man

You look fucking sick. You're proper shredded!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Looking like my default workout is now 30 minutes walking aerobic.

15 just doesn't seem to be enough anymore. And I got a wall at 25 minutes. But push through.

Been doing pretty consistent 30 minutes/2 miles this last week or so.

Feeling pretty ok.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I bought an agility ladder that you lay on the floor and do shuffles and stuff over.

Holy shit. You wouldn't think doing little jogs up and down some sticks on the ground would be that intense of a work out but 2 circuits of four different shuffles up and down 8 times each and I am absolutely gassed. Like, 10 minutes worth of exercise and I'm done.

It's maybe $20 on Amazon and I think 12' long? Obviously you can adjust it and wrap it up for storage. If you're looking for some at home, explosive HIIT grab one and pair it with your jump rope.

There's so many fun drills you can run with them too, especially if you start including bends.

I really think one of the biggest breakthroughs I had this go around regarding weight loss was realizing that healthy food could still be delicious and varied.

I meal prep for the entire week, so I am eating the same stuff for a week but week to week in trying new recipes.

This week was a chickpea and spinach curry with side of roasted cauliflower.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That looks delicious

It was super easy to make on the insta pot too!

Which is good because I have realized that I don't enjoy cooking at all, so I look for mostly simple recipes for me.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i honestly think my routine has gotten a lot better since i started waking up on work out days and at least making eggs for breakfast. it's not a big individual meal i know, but ever since the day i tried to lift on a bowl of dry cereal and felt like dying it's been a big mental boost and honestly probably filling in nutrition that wasn't there.

Purposefully making food in that case and also in our general life feels like a game changer

Shaved my very hairy torso today and I think I have...abs? Like, barely visible abs...

This is a first.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Shaved my very hairy torso today and I think I have...abs? Like, barely visible abs...

This is a first.

10 minutes and an airbrush can fix that.

I kid but good job! I don't think I'll ever see my abs. I'm jealous.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've got A.B.S.
    A Big Stomach

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I look forward to having individual abs someday. Right now I've just got a giant rectangular slab of ab in the middle of my torso that you can see the outline of when I flex but no details.

Also I had an extremely entertaining conversation with my 8 year old about whether it was possible to have more than a 6 pack, and it turns out you can have 8 or 10 if you've got the right genetics! I found out that she finds pictures of bodybuilders gross but interesting, which I think is appropriate.

Peen on
    I looked down at my legs yesterday and I was surprised that there's actual muscle and definition there.

They're not tree trunks by any means but there's visible muscle there.

Time to get some shorter shorts?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know not beating myself up over days where I go over my caloric limit has helped a lot.

Especially since it actually helps with the occasional fatigue I feel.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I looked down at my legs yesterday and I was surprised that there's actual muscle and definition there.

It's always time to get shorter shorts.

3 inch shorts with an American flag pattern, featuring a majestic bald eagle soaring proudly across your ass.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Literally the only good thing I've got going on for me is fuckin dinosaur quads.

Dino calves? No not really. But banging Dino quads? Hell yeah.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

My mother saw me wearing shorts the other day. Her reaction was “oh my god, your calves are as big as your thighs!” I have FFGCs (former fat guy calves). I can’t wear some cuts of jeans because I can’t get them on, my calves are too big.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

3 inch shorts with an American flag pattern, featuring a majestic bald eagle soaring proudly across your ass.

p1c9yi9cjdbh.jpg

Your shorts are the correct length when they don't go past your rear view mirror.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Peen wrote: »
    I look forward to having individual abs someday. Right now I've just got a giant rectangular slab of ab in the middle of my torso that you can see the outline of when I flex but no details.

Also I had an extremely entertaining conversation with my 8 year old about whether it was possible to have more than a 6 pack, and it turns out you can have 8 or 10 if you've got the right genetics! I found out that she finds pictures of bodybuilders gross but interesting, which I think is appropriate.

This is where I was at for years but thanks to the last nine or so months of progressive overload in my workouts and actually counting calories for the first time in my life I dropped 30 pounds and went from around 20% body fat to under 15% body fat.

I also discovered that due to genetics the top row of my abs are uneven so I've got that to be self-conscious about for the rest of my life, add it to the pile. I mean it's not like I can easily see all six abs from front on with flat lighting but they are there and I assume if I continue with the resistance training I've been doing on them they will grow.

The point is that you're closer than you think.

Mwx884o.jpg