As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait like actual mech size and scale changes? Is PGI on board with actually doing that or is this the "Cauldron" floating the idea it be done unprompted?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait like actual mech size and scale changes? Is PGI on board with actually doing that or is this the "Cauldron" floating the idea it be done unprompted?

PGI did mention it as part of their April Dev post and it's included in Quarter 2 of their roadmap:
    QUARTER 2 - IMPROVE EXISTING CONTENT + LOCALIZATION
    New Player Experience

Update Trial ‘Mechs and Loadouts (batch 2)
    More New Player Video Tutorials (official and community)
    Update Wiki / Add Wiki Contributors
    New Player Welcome Emails

Maps - Improvements

Update Maps (Key QP Maps)
    Spawn Point Fixes Pass 1
    Improve select Unbalanced Maps - Changing Paths and Cover
    Tweak Lighting where appropriate (Hibernal Rift)

‘Mechs

New 'Mech Variants - Release 2 new Mech Variant of existing Chassis
    Improve 'Mechs Scale (for fun and role vs volumetric)

Assuming the April patch goes over exceptionally well Daeron and Matt will likely just keep taking what the Cauldron gives them.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The Cauldron's first pass on mech rescale suggestions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rh846esh4o0t50/Mech_rescale_balanced.pdf?dl=0

The TL;DR version:

Mechs that are 20 or 25 tons are mostly at the right size (except the Flea which gets a little larger).

Other mechs are getting reduced anywhere from 3%-16% with an average of a 10% reduction in size, except the Urbie, which doesn't change.

Also, they want the Hellbringer and Nightstar arms addressed to bring them closer to the torso.
    Oh interesting, that's one way to up mech TTK. So, given that most mechs are getting downsized by ~10%, I guess that means the Flea, Urbie and Catapult are getting their survivability comparatively "nerfed".

Not sure how I feel about that re: Catapult, that mech doesn't feel especially sturdy even now. Boating missiles is a "whoops lost half your weapons during first exchange" trap, which given its iconic missle'd look is disappointing. Hopefully mechs with super exposed components like that get some quirks that make said components sturdier in the future.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if all mechs with prominent arms had said arms made sturdier, the "just stick weapons on the torso and use arms as shields" meta isn't particularly interesting.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    The Cauldron's first pass on mech rescale suggestions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rh846esh4o0t50/Mech_rescale_balanced.pdf?dl=0

The TL;DR version:

Mechs that are 20 or 25 tons are mostly at the right size (except the Flea which gets a little larger).

Other mechs are getting reduced anywhere from 3%-16% with an average of a 10% reduction in size, except the Urbie, which doesn't change.

Also, they want the Hellbringer and Nightstar arms addressed to bring them closer to the torso.
    Oh interesting, that's one way to up mech TTK. So, given that most mechs are getting downsized by ~10%, I guess that means the Flea, Urbie and Catapult are getting their survivability comparatively "nerfed".

Not sure how I feel about that re: Catapult, that mech doesn't feel especially sturdy even now. Boating missiles is a "whoops lost half your weapons during first exchange" trap, which given its iconic missle'd look is disappointing. Hopefully mechs with super exposed components like that get some quirks that make said components sturdier in the future.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if all mechs with prominent arms had said arms made sturdier, the "just stick weapons on the torso and use arms as shields" meta isn't particularly interesting.

They have mentioned upping arm armor on mechs like the Jager and Jenner, I’d guess Catapults are in there too.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

Makes MG-boating as a light much harder, the spread at backstabbing range is already tough to remove a torso before they turn and delete you.
    Also wouldn't that make LRM slightly better, as they "lock" and will hit regardless of mech size?
    Would also help SSRM, which would be nice, right now I never use them because anything close enough to use SSRM is going to be too hard for me to lock on anyways.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Smaller targets means the missiles will be spread across a relative larger area of mech, since their grouping is independent of target size. True of shotgun weapons like the LBX, too, anything with spread is going to be weakened by this as even direct hits will now be less focused, while pinpoint weapons will still deal their full damage to the component they impact.

Not a bad way to reduce indirect fire effectiveness honestly, though speaking personally, I'm already shit with MRMs and this won't help.

Glal on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Given that pretty much every mech is getting reduced in size (other than the Flea, Urbie and Catapult)... That doesn't seem much like mech rescaling relative to each other, apart from those three. Surely the need to make something like the Atlas the baseline at 100tons and then rescale as appropriate?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Giving up on trying to get the Huntsman to work. It's on par with the Vapor Eagle now. Jump jet mechs are NOT my thing.

My Hunchback I have mixed feelings on. I re-tuned it a touch tonight, swapping the engine to the max grade allowed while dropping the 9th laser slot. Still makes use of the +2 HSL for medium lasers. Still dead as fuck if I lose the one torso with all the heat sinks in it. Maybe I should swap it to regular heat sinks. Stick those in the feet and CT, and a couple in the laser shoulder. It'll be less efficient, but it'll also provide way more survivability in a sense.

Edit - Plus with all the slots freed up I can change the structure and maybe armor, and slot overall more heat sinks in... Wow. I found a use for standard heat sinks. Mechs that lean their weapon profiles heavily on one side.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Given that pretty much every mech is getting reduced in size (other than the Flea, Urbie and Catapult)... That doesn't seem much like mech rescaling relative to each other, apart from those three. Surely the need to make something like the Atlas the baseline at 100tons and then rescale as appropriate?

IIRC it’s a combination of rescaling more volumetrically in comparison to what PGI had done before with some sidesteps for balance and feel using the Commando as the base point.

• Options
    We regret to inform you that loads of Standard Heat Sinks, even with additional weight's worth, sucks ass compared to a limited few Doubles. I had to drastically downgrade the engine size to get the heat ratio to match up, with more than double the heat sinks allocated that way.

Gonna strip the Hunchback down like I did the other retired mechs.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

IIRC it’s a combination of rescaling more volumetrically in comparison to what PGI had done before with some sidesteps for balance and feel using the Commando as the base point.

I was going to post this weekend that the resizes really annoy me to no end. Ever since PGI did their first round where a Catapult ended up being the same size as a Jenner (and IIc) they just pissed me off to no end. This new resize annoyed me more since it appears that the Locust and Urbanmech (my other favorite mechs) will now magically get bigger thanks to everybody else getting smaller. Your post Nobody does help me understand where they are coming from, and it does lessen the annoyance to me. I'm guessing they are just making things up to help with the balance of TTK more than actual scale to a real world pilot and weight of the mech. As in 5 Fleas, 4 Locusts, or 3.3333333333 Urbanmechs should take up the same area as a King Crab (or vice versa).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    It’s also a first pass so I’d guess that there will be additional modifications

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    We regret to inform you that loads of Standard Heat Sinks, even with additional weight's worth, sucks ass compared to a limited few Doubles. I had to drastically downgrade the engine size to get the heat ratio to match up, with more than double the heat sinks allocated that way.

Gonna strip the Hunchback down like I did the other retired mechs.

Yeah, after you mentioned your plan, I hopped over to https://mech.nav-alpha.com/ and tried swapping DHS to SHS in the Hunchback-4P. While the heat capacity went up a little, the heat dissipation was gutted (due to losing the true doubling of the engine heatsinks).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Yeah, the more I think about the subject. Scaling make believe things really are a pain in the rear. Honestly it probably would be best if they just resized them for the game play balance more than trying to make them realistic. Because who knows, the Locust could be really dense inside since they are small, meanwhile the King Crab might not be that much taller due to most of its mass is spread out sideways and thicker arms and legs. So I'm going to just go back to what I was doing before when I restarted playing MWO again. Just enjoy figuring out really funny/bad builds and enjoying the opportunity to pilot robots against others. I'm just going to keep some of them as meta if I want to do "well" in matches or speed up completing events faster.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Given how inconsistent the Battletech lore/sources themselves are on the size of the 'mechs, as long as it doesn't look too dumb it doesn't bother me, I'll take skewing towards PVP balance over canon at this point.

Plus, I find the small Catapult adorable.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    As soon as PVP is involved lore has to take a back seat.

Or you accept that there will be local minima and maxima and the meta will look nothing like the lore.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah, the more I think about the subject. Scaling make believe things really are a pain in the rear. Honestly it probably would be best if they just resized them for the game play balance more than trying to make them realistic. Because who knows, the Locust could be really dense inside since they are small, meanwhile the King Crab might not be that much taller due to most of its mass is spread out sideways and thicker arms and legs. So I'm going to just go back to what I was doing before when I restarted playing MWO again. Just enjoy figuring out really funny/bad builds and enjoying the opportunity to pilot robots against others. I'm just going to keep some of them as meta if I want to do "well" in matches or speed up completing events faster.

Less in this game because of the low speed, but game scale can be funny. There were ENDLESS discussions on scale in Star Wars Squadrons despite the devs and numerous people showing exactly how things fit to scale, because our brains are terrible at judging size of things that move, especially things that move fast.

Anyways, got to throw my first Polar match. As soon as it got picked, too a bathroom break. Get back to my PC and shamble up to the "firing line" where both teams are just sitting completely still lobbing hundreds of LRMs back and forth. Our team appeared to have about 0 AMS. I just held W to end the misery.

• Options
    You can boat standard heat sinks, but you have to boat a metric fuckton of them (like, 30+).

There are precisely 3 mechs I know of that can get away with this (MAD-IIC, ANH-1P, SNV). I’ve run two of them and it works well enough actually, especially in faction.

• Options
    You can boat standard heat sinks, but you have to boat a metric fuckton of them (like, 30+).

There are precisely 3 mechs I know of that can get away with this (MAD-IIC, ANH-1P, SNV). I’ve run two of them and it works well enough actually, especially in faction.

4 mechs.

You forgot the Banshee-3M.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

4 mechs.

You forgot the Banshee-3M.

Sorry! I never see that one so I completely blanked on it.

• Options

Wait, really? I'm currently running 4SHS in my Locust with 4 rocket launchers and the light ppc just for space, but didn't know they were actually viable in a MAD-IIc build. Which one is that?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Wait, really? I'm currently running 4SHS in my Locust with 4 rocket launchers and the light ppc just for space, but didn't know they were actually viable in a MAD-IIc build. Which one is that?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say something along the lines of this:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#bc3060d7_MAD-IIC2L

Could also work using the standard MAD-IIC as well.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It essentially never makes sense to use standard heat sinks because of the engine doubling; it’s almost always better to just drop ferro (or even endo structure) and fit doubles

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

But I only count 25 heat sinks.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I need to find the MADIIC I used with SHS, it was built around ERLL I think.

35 including the engine :p

• Options
    I need to find the MADIIC I used with SHS, it was built around ERLL I think.

35 including the engine :p

OH RIGHT! I forget that it has "10" in there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    even on that build though, you can remove endo, move up to a 400xl engine and fill with DHS to get a build with a lot more dissipation and dps, and only a relatively small loss of heal cap

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    even on that build though, you can remove endo, move up to a 400xl engine and fill with DHS to get a build with a lot more dissipation and dps, and only a relatively small loss of heal cap

Right...but the whole point of this exercise is to put together SHS builds.

• Options
    Bleh, turns out I didn't save the SHS MADIIC build.

Closest I can think of is something like MAD-IIC but that's not quite right.

• Options
    I made a change that some people were pushing me to do on my Orion II. The two LBX-10's are now one LBX-20.

It freed up a lot of tonnage, naturally. The total amount of shots I have with it are half what I had the other way (I'm only one ton down on ammo allocation). It's enabled me to throw in more heat sinks, but also the two small pulse lasers are now two ER large lasers. While the LBX-20 can work as a mid range weapon I'm reserving it to fire in tandem with the three SRM6 pods at close range. It's just shy of 60 damage as a ballistics alpha strike, but the ER lasers (which will build up unsustainable heat in brawling) will add another 21 damage on top of it.

The major downside of this build is the risk of losing the LBX-20. Orion II's aren't exactly the most sleek of mechs and my test rounds resulted in losing the weapon before losing that side of the torso even. Previously I could lose one LBX-10 but still have the other functioning.

• Options
    Personally, I'm a fan of mounting twin-LB10X instead of a single LB20X (assuming you have the tonnage and space for it). Being able to fire almost twice with the LB10Xes for every single LB20X is pretty handy (also, the single LB20X is generating 50% more heat than the twin-LB10X), and as you've found, losing your single LB20X hurts a lot more than losing one of your two LB10Xes.

Two mechs where I'll use twin-LB10X instead of a single AC20/LB20X:

Marauder
    Marauder IIC-C

• Options
    I'm still gonna mess around with this new build to see if it's an overall net gain. The previous build I had, the LBX-10s were my "long range" weapon, but now I have the lasers to do that. So I can have a tighter ammo situation and not piss away shots to try and score some range hits or provide any sort of covering fire. Plus, the damage gain was significant (the SPLs were 4 damage each; the ERLLs are 10.75 each).

And if I swap back to the dual canons, I'm probably gonna drop some of the ammo tonnage in favor of a couple more heat sinks. That way I can sustain fire a bit better.

• Options
    Okay played a good amount of matches and the change is a net positive over the other build, I feel.

As good a time I'm having in my Orion IIC, Rifleman IIC, Phoenix Hawk, and Awesome, I'm starting to struggle with a lot of my other mechs. Even the ones that have builds adjacent to those mechs, like my Crab, I'm struggling with to perform. I'm considering a laser lineup change on said Crab (currently 4 MPLs and 2 ERMLs) and my Archer I might take out the arm SRM6s to replace with some form of LRMs so it isn't useless during the entire match. One of the worst things that can happen in an all-SRM mech like the Archer is having no way to cross Polar without eating shit and having no chance to shoot back.

• Options
    Switched my Spider 5 to an XL engine, and now have a LPL and TC4 in it. Not sure what else to do with it.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Switched my Spider 5 to an XL engine, and now have a LPL and TC4 in it. Not sure what else to do with it.

Drop it down to a TC2 and put 4 tons of jump jets on it?

Edit: Realized I jokingly said a "ton" and that is only 2 JJs.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    5D, 5V, or 5K?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Sorry, 5V. I thought the cap speed quirk would be hilarious, didn't think to check where the two energy mounts were. The laser duration, though, can make them do good work, it's just hard to find a way to maximize them.
    Not sure about the XL, it was nice being able to sacrifice a torso and still fight.

Also, I just accidentally didn't throw a match on Polar. I just took off running in my UMK9, heading straight for the center then turned toward the first enemy I saw. I had 3 lights follow me for some reason. We managed to accidentally loop around the back of the enemy, and proceeded to dismantle them instantly. I did 500 damage, most on my team, and never let go of the W key.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    5V desperately needs more hard points. I think the standard is either two MPL or two ERML.

There’s one unit that tries to run 4 of them at a time in FP Conquest which is a pain, but it’s like the only real reason right now to have one.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Sorry, 5V. I thought the cap speed quirk would be hilarious, didn't think to check where the two energy mounts were. The laser duration, though, can make them do good work, it's just hard to find a way to maximize them.
    Not sure about the XL, it was nice being able to sacrifice a torso and still fight.

Also, I just accidentally didn't throw a match on Polar. I just took off running in my UMK9, heading straight for the center then turned toward the first enemy I saw. I had 3 lights follow me for some reason. We managed to accidentally loop around the back of the enemy, and proceeded to dismantle them instantly. I did 500 damage, most on my team, and never let go of the W key.

I've never run anything but XLs in IS Lights so no idea how to even pilot one if I did put a Light Engine in one. Crash and Burn is my motto.

oosik_betsuni.png