As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Ringed City is weeeeeeeeird.

Yeah it's quite an odd area. Great DLC though, even if it does contain the (optional) boss that I consider to be the biggest pain in the ass in the entire game.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Are you effing kidding me. Demon in Pain and Demon from Below. And then phase 2. This is the most ridiculous boss ever. I’m barely damaging it and then all this?

I know I’m near the end of the whole series but I think I quit.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh, that's actually not the most ridiculous boss in there (although the boss that I think is harder is also completely optional so arguably the demons are worse).

What soul level are you? I wouldn't do Ringed City at anything sub 100. Even at 120 (which I cruised at for pvp reasons) it's really challenging, and that was with the ezmode str/dex Refined Infusion build. If you're doing a less meta build you may want to try and farm to 150-200 before trying it.

edit: Twin Demons tip
    the order you kill them in affects the last phase significantly and one version of the last phase is much easier than the other

Stick with it if you can. Twin Demons definitely feels unfair when you first run into it because of how many "gotcha!" moments there are in the fight but there's a lot of great stuff on the other side.

3cl1ps3 on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I think O&S is one of the worst bosses in DS1, Friede's multi-enemy stage is rushable so meh, and Twin Demons is also a huge unfun slog unless you're loaded for bear and can rush it.

edit: To be clear, my opinion of multi-enemy bosses is based on like one thing only: Can you rush so hard that it doesn't actually matter that there are two of them? Maneaters, Gargoyles in DS1 but not in DS2, double cats in DS2 (might need a brightbug), Friede phase 2, fights like that are fine. Fights you can reliably spread the enemies for an opening (Shadows of Yharnam) are fine, too.

The dual boss in Code Vein is also acceptable because it's actually got a trick to it that makes it fine
    they both do almost exclusively elemental damage, so you can stack the fire shield, ice shield, and all-elements shield and take almost zero damage from them.

Kamar on
    3clips3 wrote: »
    Oh, that's actually not the most ridiculous boss in there (although the boss that I think is harder is also completely optional so arguably the demons are worse).

What soul level are you? I wouldn't do Ringed City at anything sub 100. Even at 120 (which I cruised at for pvp reasons) it's really challenging, and that was with the ezmode str/dex Refined Infusion build. If you're doing a less meta build you may want to try and farm to 150-200 before trying it.

edit: Twin Demons tip
    the order you kill them in affects the last phase significantly and one version of the last phase is much easier than the other

Stick with it if you can. Twin Demons definitely feels unfair when you first run into it because of how many "gotcha!" moments there are in the fight but there's a lot of great stuff on the other side.

I find, with at least one summon, the first phase is almost easy though time consuming.

But the final phase sucks.

I need a break for now. But I'll come back and beat it at some point. I need to farm embers. Maybe I need some more levels as you recommend (I am SL 108 and actually medium-to-low Quality + medium INT/FAITH build).

I could respect.

I tried using Dorhys' Gnawing as I saw that as a recommended strategy but my five quick swipes with my refined +9 Dark Sword dpes almost the same as the bleed damage that three hits of Dorhys' does. And it's slow.

Can anyone recommend some better weapons, maybe? I played through the whole game with a Claymore (now +10) first Fire-infused but later/now Chaos-infused.

But at a certain point I went full pyro. Pyro seems to be crap for this boss battle. So do sorceries.

edited April 2021
    If you have respecs left, Dex/Str build with +10 Refined Dark Sword and any +10 or +5 Greatshield is immensely strong in NG/NG+.

3cl1ps3 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Souls games have certainly prepared me for Monster Hunter. I'm finding Rise to be really easy. Look for the opening and dodge.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    Souls games have certainly prepared me for Monster Hunter. I'm finding Rise to be really easy. Look for the opening and dodge.

That’s because MH Rise starts off really easy.

If you’re in the Village quests, you’re fighting monsters with 50% reduced hits and half life of the Hub versions.

jungleroomx on
    If Rise is like other MonHun games it will be smooth sailing until some point and then will immediately turn you inside out.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If Rise is like other MonHun games it will be smooth sailing until some point and then will immediately turn you inside out.

I find Magnamalo to be the first jump in difficulty in the Village quests.

He’s definitely got nothing on the HR 7 monsters but for Village he’s pretty tough.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    doing my first HR hub quests was a real surprise in that monsters don't crumple up and die after one zone change

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I find Magnamalo to be the first jump in difficulty in the Village quests.

He’s definitely got nothing on the HR 7 monsters but for Village he’s pretty tough.

A couple things before him can rough you up. Mizu and Zinogre.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    If you have respecs left, Dex/Str build with +10 Refined Dark Sword and any +10 or +5 Greatshield is immensely strong in NG/NG+.

I actually haven’t respecced at all. And I have a +9 refined Dark Sword so I guess I can throw a slab at it.

Maybe I’ll do some minor farming. Any idea recommendation on where? I like that summoned Drakeblood Knight in Archdragon Peak.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    mizu i was expecting a lot from but it turns out it's got a reeeeal easy head to smack

like just a smorgasbord of openings for hammer

zin was fine until he went super saiyan
    narg was my first double cart and i think zin, rath, goss, and almudron managed to do it as well at some point

almudron is fucked up because one of my carts was because i literally didn’t notice i was losing health because the mud doesn’t cause a hit reaction

edit: wait what thread am i in again

Elendil on

I actually haven’t respecced at all. And I have a +9 refined Dark Sword so I guess I can throw a slab at it.

Maybe I’ll do some minor farming. Any idea recommendation on where? I like that summoned Drakeblood Knight in Archdragon Peak.

I ground a character from 120 to 180 farming the Golden Winged Knights on top of the Archives. It's a pretty quick run up to them. Does take a bit of learning to kill them cleanly and quickly because they aren't trivial but they yield a ton of souls on death.

I ground a character from 120 to 180 farming the Golden Winged Knights on top of the Archives. It's a pretty quick run up to them. Does take a bit of learning to kill them cleanly and quickly because they aren't trivial but they yield a ton of souls on death.

Oh that’s right. That was my old farming spot back in 2016, forgot about that.

I hate those bastards but yeah.

I think I used to rapport the first one to duke it out with the second, kill the third, and then come back and beat the one that was left.

edited April 2021
    I farmed up to SL 115 and did a full respect to Quality.

I took my Black Knight Sword up to +5.

Took ‘em down. (With one human phantom and Lapp, both of who died near the end. I feel bad about the human.)

Drez on
    I farmed up to SL 115 and did a full respect to Quality.

I took my Black Knight Sword up to +5.

Took ‘em down. (With one human phantom and Lapp, both of who died near the end. I feel bad about the human.)

**gonggg**

**arrows**

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

That’s because MH Rise starts off really easy.

If you’re in the Village quests, you’re fighting monsters with 50% reduced hits and half life of the Hub versions.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Midir

Midir

Yeah p much

Midir

Yes, this is the one I was talking about. Fuck that guy.

The troll covenant you apparently get from beating that boss is very interesting to me, so I want to beat him.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    One tip for Midir: fight his face, unlike other Souls dragons. Double damage. And he flinches for a critical hit.

edit: and for the love of god fight him alone without summons, he's completely unmanageable and you'll never get the flinch with extras.

Kamar on
    Yeah I'm gonna treat him like Kalameet in that sense.

I've respecced to Strength to fight him with a Splitleaf Greatsword. I seem to be doing good damage - I just need to learn his moves a little better.

Thanks.

Midir is dead!

I fought him solo as recommended.

I actually really love that fight. In all honestly, I think it's very approachable and maybe less bullshit than Kalameet. With Kalameet I had to circle him back and forth across the arena many many times because it's frankly very small. I got caught on terrain and died that way a few times in Kalameet's arena. But with Midir it's fair - it's pretty much a gigantic smooth circle. I got backed against a wall once in his second phase (on an ultimately failed run) but I was able to get out and I think the wall actually ate some of his ghosts as he did that attack when he was literally facing the wall and right next to it. It was a little weird.

I mean, it took me like 15 tries solo but still. That was a great fight.

Here's hoping Dark Souls 4 doesn't have some kind of "Kalameet + Midir" fight. In a narrow hallway. But you never know.

I guess I have one more boss left.

Actually, two or three. I haven't beaten the final boss yet, but I have beat him in the past and I'm not remotely worried about him this time.

I also didn't kill the second Ancient Wyvern in Archdragon Peak but that's a cheeseball fight anyway (I am pretty sure I just plinked him with arrows in the past) so I'm not really counting it. More like a miniboss.

Actually, two or three. I haven't beaten the final boss yet, but I have beat him in the past and I'm not remotely worried about him this time.

I also didn't kill the second Ancient Wyvern in Archdragon Peak but that's a cheeseball fight anyway (I am pretty sure I just plinked him with arrows in the past) so I'm not really counting it. More like a miniboss.

Yeah you've got Gael left and man, is that a fucking fight.

oh my god how long did that take

With a nice dex build doing 150-200 damage an arrow, not too long honestly.

edited April 2021

I mean I didn't do it (yet) in this run so it's been awhile, but yeah I don't think it was a crazy long time for me.

At least, it's not a memory that sticks out.

Honestly, it's possible I didn't even kill him back 2016 and that's why I don't remember. But...I feel like I would have. And I have a vague memory of doing so via archery.

Drez on
    And I have now beaten every boss of every Souls game.

...but not every Soulsborne game.

That leaves Bloodborne. And maybe Sekiro if you count that.

I will be taking a break for Disco Elysium but Bloodborne is a game I never really cracked too deep into and I'm excited to try again with my newfound dodging skills.

Ok I lied (mostly to myself) and started up Bloodborne.

I just beat the Cleric Beast as a level 4 “waste of skin.”

Never thought that would happen. Dark Souls done train me good.

(Not that Cleric Beast is that tough, maybe, but I always found Bloodborne very inaccessible for me. I’ve only ever beaten Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne or however it’s spelled.)

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    (Not that Cleric Beast is that tough, maybe, but I always found Bloodborne very inaccessible for me. I’ve only ever beaten Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne or however it’s spelled.)

Gaskwang.

uyvfOQy.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bloodborne was my first FromSoft game, and GasCoin was a fucking hurdle, I tell you what. I did DS3 after, and it was a comparative cake walk.

Sekiro was wildly fun, but I ran into a brick wall at
    the second Headless Shit Monkey
    fight and never finished.

Demon's Souls mostly seems quaint in comparison to other Souls games. It's less difficult and more frustrating due to the lack of good shortcuts in many places, meaning you die to a boss and you need to run the whole level again. (I'm also not wild about the punishment for dying being that the difficulty actually increases.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Sekiro: I'm curious how far I had gotten, actually. Not far, I think. I got up to...
    The rather corpulent/sumo-wrestler (???) type dude at like a dojo type area? In that stage, you have to kind of circle around to him? There's enemies everywhere and there's like a poison moat/swamp type thing permeating the whole area, if memory serves? Or maybe the enemies use poison? Or the boss does? Or all three? And surrounding the boss are a bunch of enemies that all seem to aggro when you go to fight him. So frustrating and I never got past it.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I fired up Bloodbourne a few months ago and tried to do a new character and found I could not get through it anymore. I wonder if one of the last patches to get it to run on PS5 had negative effects on PS4 because I was getting massive frame drops even in offline mode. It was rough.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, that's not far at all.

I really liked the way combat felt in Sekiro. I always felt like a badass fighting regular enemies in that game. But then every boss kicked my shit in.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited April 2021
    It looks kinda ugly. I can't believe they never remastered it or ported it to the PC. What a bunch of bonks.

Also, I can't believe you have to return to the Hunter's Dream to refresh an area. Come on.

edit: Not ugly. The art style is amazing. But it definitely has a dated look now.

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.