As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't really get the Destiny comparisons people are making. Are people just focusing on the powers aspect?

The loot drops feel more Destiny than Borderlands, as does the crafting. And the cover system that Gears got right YEARS ago is somehow very clumsy here.

Basically, I wanted Bulletstorm 2 and got just another looter shooter.

Edit: after getting burned by Marvel and Anthem, which were both cut at least loosely from the same Destiny cloth, you can't blame people for being tired of the formula.

I had a quick go yesterday, to see if my demo character carried across - shotgunning people is slow motion is still fun.

I'll get back into it when I finish octopath traveller - so in another 50 hours or so...

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    But its not really destiny anything beyond like having powers? The fights are more arenas like ME multi, and there isn't so much open world exploration as corridors, and that's fine what's there is chunky and I love the crafting system lets you tweak an item without just making all your items the same.

And today the servers were pretty stable

It's online only, so it's setting up that expectation for itself and then failing to deliver on it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think I may also pick up Fuser during the sale. The demo was pretty neat. I'll skip the VIP pack since saving five dollars from forty-five isn't much of a savings.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    But its not really destiny anything beyond like having powers? The fights are more arenas like ME multi, and there isn't so much open world exploration as corridors, and that's fine what's there is chunky and I love the crafting system lets you tweak an item without just making all your items the same.

It's online only, so it's setting up that expectation for itself and then failing to deliver on it.

what?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So I got $10 store credit form MS. Any recommendations for spending that?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

what?

Borderlands has offline mode as do certain other shooters with gear. By forcing a completely unnecessary online only mode, even in single player, this puts some players in the mind it must be similar to online only games like Destiny.

• Options

what?

Borderlands has offline mode as do certain other shooters with gear. By forcing a completely unnecessary online only mode, even in single player, this puts some players in the mind it must be similar to online only games like Destiny.

That's the silliest criteria. Like lack of offline mode doesn't suddenly make the game a destiny anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Everything is a '-clone'.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Y'all getting pretty steamed about these Maze War-clones.

• Options
    And why I dislike saying outriders is like destiny is if you expect anything like destiny's gameplay in outriders you'll be sorely dissapointed as it plays almost nothing like destiny in the core gameplay of battling what at times feels like hundreds of fucking little shits in god damn arenas and holy shit is that a brood mother WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME GAME?!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It feels destiny in that you have space magic assigned to the same buttons you use in destiny for space magic. At it's core, this is more PvE and instance based. Destiny has a plethora of modes to choose from, this one just has story missions you replay. The gameplay itself is very much 3rd person cover based, where the bread and butter is co-op with friends so you can combo powers together. Like destiny, there's a world difficulty setting you can select that determines the kind of loot. There's many, many destiny influences in Outriders, even if the gameplay itself is going for more arcadey, constant action with tons of fodder to chew through. The skill trees are definitely more Borderlands for character progression.

People get scared by destiny comparisons but it's a good thing, because destiny innovated the looter shooter. If they're paying attention, Destiny already made all the mistakes for them so they can skip right to making a great game. Just because there as similarities there, doesn't mean if you hate destiny you'll hate Outriders. I personally only really like Outriders because of the dope magic abilities. It will not keep me hooked like destiny without a PvP mode, full stop.

• Options
    The world difficulty setting is way more Diablo inspired than Destiny come on now Jay.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The world difficulty setting is way more Diablo inspired than Destiny come on now Jay.

I haven't played diablo? Diablo is a big influence on Destiny?

• Options

I haven't played diablo? Diablo is a big influence on Destiny?

The difficulty system in outriders is more akin to diablo 3, and I'd say the powers in outriders feel more ME3 multiplayer than destiny. Like Destiny at its root is a fps rpg evolution from halo. Outriders feels like an evolution of ME3.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mean Diablo 3 is clearly just another always online Destiny clone looter.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I know ME3 multiplayer was similar but let's be honest, it was a tacked on mode from back when EA mandated every game they made had a tacked on online mode. I remember playing and enjoying it, but comparing it to Outriders is a little silly given how much more fleshed out and modern Outriders is. The gameplay is but one facet of the game, everything around it is very much destiny from the cursor system to loot. People denied the same observations when people made them about The Avengers game but it literally copied destiny's loot system just worse.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I know ME3 multiplayer was similar but let's be honest, it was a tacked on mode from back when EA mandated every game they made had a tacked on online mode. I remember playing and enjoying it, but comparing it to Outriders is a little silly given how much more fleshed out and modern Outriders is. The gameplay is but one facet of the game, everything around it is very much destiny from the cursor system to loot. People denied the same observations when people made them about The Avengers game but it literally copied destiny's loot system just worse.

It had a solid third-person shooting mechanic core for the time (not Gears of War good, but good enough), but as there was pretty much the one game mode, based around earning chests of un-lockable cards...it was a little repetitive.

• Options
    Games influence one another all the time ME2 was influenced by Gears so they made it more actiony. Gears entire gameplay was based off of RE4. And Re4 was an attempt to make the series more western styled and action oriented. The influences go on and on and I'm sure People Can Fly looked to many places for inspiration. It just makes me laugh apparently when you mention Destiny people get annoyed or mad because they don't the comparison for whatever reason. It's a totally valid thing, destiny came in and shook up the industry for better or worse.

• Options
    Gears of War probably owes a lot more to Kill.Switch, arguably the first honest-to-god chest-high wall cover shooter, which I suspect is where Resident Evil 4 also got the idea for cover-shooting mechanics, than any RE game, but obviously influence is a lot more fluid across the industry.

• Options
    Id completely forgotten about that game, good point. Though I think the idea for the chainsaw gun came from RE4.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Gears of War probably owes a lot more to Kill.Switch, arguably the first honest-to-god chest-high wall cover shooter, which I suspect is where Resident Evil 4 also got the idea for cover-shooting mechanics, than any RE game, but obviously influence is a lot more fluid across the industry.

And Kill.Switch got it from Operation WinBack.

But let's be real here, no one played either of those games.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ...Did RE4 have cover shooter mechanics? I don't remember it having any.

• Options
    Honestly the destiny stuff reminds me of WoW back in the day where people act like they pioneered a lot of stuff they released with.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Id completely forgotten about that game, good point. Though I think the idea for the chainsaw gun came from RE4.

Yeah, could be. But there's barely any actual "cover sequences" in RE4 (and they're all "you're standing here, suddenly x key makes you duck"), unlike Kill.Switch, which incorporated an actual "sticking" mechanic.

Maybe also one of the earlier Rainbow Six games? Though they rarely third person as I recall, and it'd have to be before Vegas, which very clearly had a stick-to-wall-shoot-around system.

• Options
    Honestly the destiny stuff reminds me of WoW back in the day where people act like they pioneered a lot of stuff they released with.

Eh, more like made them good. Destiny was proceeded by what on consoles... Too Human? Diablo 3? Borderlands? None of those are shared world shooters with multiple modes including PvP, a deep endgame and multiplayer raids. None of those managed to do what Destiny did as well as destiny did. The UI, loot system, the lore, the art direction, destiny did all of it well and all at once in the same package. Nobody forgets that EverQuest or RuneScape came before wow, wow was just better.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

WinBack was awesome. Me and my dad spent hours beating that and the original Stuntman game.

• Options

WinBack was awesome. Me and my dad spent hours beating that and the original Stuntman game.

Press 'Post Comment'!

• Options
    Saying Outriders was probably influenced by ME3 is pretty goofy when the studio's previous game was a Gears of War title. Pretty sure they based the cover mechanic on that, you guys...

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Saying Outriders was probably influenced by ME3 is pretty goofy when the studio's previous game was a Gears of War title. Pretty sure they based the cover mechanic on that, you guys...

It’s pretty goofy to think they were only influenced by a single game. I doubt the powers were based on Gears.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

It’s pretty goofy to think they were only influenced by a single game. I doubt the powers were based on Gears.

I think it's safe to say that People Can Fly were strongly opposed to the gore slider.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Given how jank the cover stuff is in Outriders, it's kind of rude to blame that on games that do it better. :wink:

• Options
    The shooting is more offensive to me than the cover system, since I was rarely using cover except to regen health

• Options

Mass Effect 3 came out in 2012 for a previous console gen to the one they were developing for. I'd be surprised if that was their inspiration for "power use in a shooter" considering the much more contemporary Destiny, Destiny 2, Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel (ported to their target hardware) and Borderlands 3, Warframe, Anthem, Overwatch, etc. would all be fresher on their minds. Co-operative skill use is already something they were experimenting with in Gears Judgment's new multiplayer modes that they added.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Power usage feels more like Andromeda TBH; you have N, pick 3.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

I'd wager at least Cliff Bleszinski did. But then he's always been pretty honest about where Gears influences came from.

I've put a few hours into Outriders now, and I'd rate it as 'not bad, kind of fun'. I did play a lot of ME3 Multi and I can see some similarities. I also just started playing Gears 5 and it's an interesting contrast as G5 just feels so much smoother, but I just don't like how bullet-spongey the enemies all feel. Outriders doesn't handle as well, but the baddies all go down in what fell like the appropriate amount of shots. I've been playing Pyromancer, but I might try another class.

• Options

I'd wager at least Cliff Bleszinski did. But then he's always been pretty honest about where Gears influences came from.

I've put a few hours into Outriders now, and I'd rate it as 'not bad, kind of fun'. I did play a lot of ME3 Multi and I can see some similarities. I also just started playing Gears 5 and it's an interesting contrast as G5 just feels so much smoother, but I just don't like how bullet-spongey the enemies all feel. Outriders doesn't handle as well, but the baddies all go down in what fell like the appropriate amount of shots. I've been playing Pyromancer, but I might try another class.

Pyro definitely feels like a harder solo class than trickster or devastator. I have no idea about the technomancer but the NPC version is an asshole so your millege may vary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Outriders is one of those games where the gameplay gets more fun as you go, so it’s understandable if people bounce off early on. It has a fun core but is super rough around the edges

Also one area it’s different to destiny is in destiny humanity is the heroes, in outriders they are giant assholes

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Outriders is one of those games where the gameplay gets more fun as you go, so it’s understandable if people bounce off early on. It has a fun core but is super rough around the edges

Also one area it’s different to destiny is in destiny humanity is the heroes, in outriders they are giant assholes

Yeah people play the demo and feel the game is too easy, but I can say as you play it, the difficulty ramps up and the amount of red on the screen is fucking ridiculous.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Not mutually exclusive.

I'll post some story spoilers. Outriders spoilers including an "end" game spoiler.

The difference here is you're character is never a hero, you're a survivor, you're doing good things sort of for a bunch of horrible assholes just trying to survive, but you're not a hero. And literally every problem on the planet is one humanity created.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net