As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not me, it's YouTube.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Conclusion to the painting restoration. I'm including the first two parts under the spoiler, for those that want to watch them in one go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WttRZtWClbE

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Time to post things only I care about:

1. Got 5 hours and 20 minutes to waste and want to hear a British man rank every single Wrestlemania match? Luckily for you, that's right here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9TH67lwVQ
    Dang WWE did some real shit stuff with its women's division.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    fuck that looks so good, i didn't know Wilson was in it.

The voice was so familiar but he looks nothing like what I'm used to.

• Options
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This hole is made for me

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that cat was saying "hole-y shit!"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Time to post things only I care about:

1. Got 5 hours and 20 minutes to waste and want to hear a British man rank every single Wrestlemania match? Luckily for you, that's right here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9TH67lwVQ
    Dang WWE did some real shit stuff with its women's division.

It's really telling that in order to promote this week's WrestleMania WWE uploaded the full version of the show stealing paradigm shifting classic between Bayley and Sasha Banks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdn2dBbM31c

...from NXT TakeOver Brooklyn in 2015.

I've got to imagine even if you've never seen a pro wrestling match before the first three minutes of this video alone would give you context for who these women are and where they're at in their careers. It's the twenty minutes after that are full of expert examples of character acting and in-ring storytelling as Sasha and Bayley work a breakneck pace to pack as much drama and spectacle into a match as possible. The pillow fights and playboy tie-ins were supposed to appeal to some sort of male demographic but they certainly never got multiple loud chants of "this is awesome" and "this is wrestling."

Things are never as black and white as historical revisionism makes it seem. There were good women's matches in the 20 years preceding this and it's not like things were flawless afterward. Still it's pretty telling that the rematch main evented a show called Takeover: Respect.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is a fairly old song but I just randomly found it on YouTube and if you're familiar with how much I joke about my avatar you know why this got my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRgPj35FZS4&list=RDS1yWWFRGGkM&index=15&ab_channel=JubyPhonic

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the story of the women's division is the success of the hard work of the performers in it, almost entirely in spite of what wwe is trying to have them do and how wwe is promoting them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    That's practically the story of the WWE as a whole.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    a season of Pui Pui is on netflix now

My son adores it

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    With no Japanese spoken it's really universal. My favorite bit is that the people are very static and non-poseable HO figurines, and then when zoomed in, they are "stop-motion" real people.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah the felt armature puppets alongside the human figures is a wonderful aesthetic

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    She went from a drawing channel to puppets
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfxLy4gBA0

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    (i have irrefutable proof that master utsushi is just zac efron from HSM2 and yet the new york times refuses to print it)

The man did his research.

• Options
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm sorry I know it's a reference and/or meme and maybe the guy is alright but a white dude in cat ears rapping about the chicks that he would like to fuck still skeeves me right the hell out

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Hmm I don't know if he said he'd fuck them, appreciating different body types isn't inherently sexual, and well, lots of artists are inspired by the feminine form. I'd wager the main inspiration for most humans in general is to draw the things they like. Flip the script, if it was a woman describing the body types of men they find attractive, and then drawing them in great detail, would you still feel icked?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    the song he's parodying is specifically about sexual attraction so I think this hypothetical is kinda moot

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Wait so does the lizzo song gross you out or nah? Idk the response on twitter, like the place quickest to bust out the pitchforks, was pretty positive. (also looking into it I'm not certain he's a white dude at all)

• Options
    Ohno, a molehill!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Wait so does the lizzo song gross you out or nah? Idk the response on twitter, like the place quickest to bust out the pitchforks, was pretty positive. (also looking into it I'm not certain he's a white dude at all)

do we really need to talk about power disparity in gender dynamics and their intersection within the context of cultural signifiers

to get off my high horse for a second and give a more relatable metaphor, I could see a person trying to wear an ahegao sweatshirt in an empowering/reclaiming/statement making way and pulling it off, but it really depends on who that person is and where they are wearing it

a catboy streamer doing what that guy's doing does not feel to me like something cute

but maybe I'm just an old prude that's looking way too critically at this stuff so feel free to ignore me

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I cannot fathom a context where an ahegao shirt is empowering

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

a black woman doing something like that isn't the same as a man (white or otherwise) doing something like that, for a lot of reasons

which isn't to say I think this particular clip is problematic, but you definitely can't compare the two one-to-one. "if you didn't have a problem with Lizzo's song then you shouldn't/can't have a problem with this" doesn't really work when you take into consideration broader social and cultural issues (like indie mentioned)

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm sorry I know it's a reference and/or meme and maybe the guy is alright but a white dude in cat ears rapping about the chicks that he would like to fuck still skeeves me right the hell out

This feels like you're wanting to say "cringe", knowing that would not fly, and trying to wrap it in some kind of progressive syntax when it's really just like... bullying? It would possibly be different if he were being gross to someone who did not appreciate a sexual advance but it's SO general in this case, he's essentially saying "I think various kinds of body types and other characteristics are appealing".

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I've seen too many wholesome soft bois run the same damn schtick on the internet these past few years to not get automatically icked, dont know what to tell you

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I've seen too many wholesome soft bois run the same damn schtick on the internet these past few years to not get automatically icked, dont know what to tell you

It is a razorthin line between saying I like girls and it being creepy
    That line is sub-atomic

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Without having watched it yet it definitely gives off some weird energy just from the thumbnail so I'm inclined to actually side with indie?
    I think acceptance of other body types is fantastic and important but context and who is coming from and why are important. You don't want a ernest cline poetry situation.

That said that could be me being highly uncharitable to jocat here. Again haven't watched the video. Mostly because of the premise seeming odd to me only knowing his work from the crap guides.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

It is a razorthin line between saying I like girls and it being creepy
    That line is sub-atomic

Indeed. The difference between charm and strange.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    oh god

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    d3h36uxoizxb.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That one I liked.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I don't get it

Oh it's a physics joke

Damn my dropped out of high school ass totally missed that one

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.