As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You're talking about cloning software here, yeah? Acronis makes some pretty good cloning software that can both clone drives and can do basically what Time Machine does on the Mac side. There's also Paragon Utilities, but that gets into the professional side of things.

If you just want to copy the files in a way that won't fuck with permissions, Explorer++ is real great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    I need to back up a Win10 NTFS non-boot drive that has about 1.8TB of data. I am a Mac nerd by trade, and on macOS I'd use a utility to clone the drive to a .dmg image, which would not only capture it exactly as is, it'd also generate a checksum that would ensure future copies remained valid.

Is there some Windows equivalent of imaging a drive like that? Ideally, I'd like the whole volume captured as-is to one file, with checksumming to insure that the copy is correct.

For making 1:1 images, I use Clonezilla (https://www.clonezilla.com). It's a live bootable linux-based utility that copies block by block. It also has a way to verify if the image created is restorable. By default, it creates 2GB sized files (so you'd have many files representing the image), but I believe the size is configurable. Not sure you'd want a giant single file for an image anyway, the chance of corruption seems a bit larger than multiple files.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Do you guys have a favorite file manager? I was tired of not being able to queue copies in regular File Explorer so I've been farting around with Teracopy and Multi Commander. Multi Commander does what I want but some things about the ui irk me.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Do you guys have a favorite file manager? I was tired of not being able to queue copies in regular File Explorer so I've been farting around with Teracopy and Multi Commander. Multi Commander does what I want but some things about the ui irk me.

XTree.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Learn the joys of cmd.exe and robocopy

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Is using Windows 10's built-in "Reset this PC" under the Recovery options good enough when recycling/donating old PCs?

Have an old asus windows tablet having battery charging issues. Ended up breaking one of the volume buttons when opening it up to reset the battery so now I want to recycle it.

Want to be sure the tablet's drive is securely wiped before letting it go.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Is using Windows 10's built-in "Reset this PC" under the Recovery options good enough when recycling/donating old PCs?

Have an old asus windows tablet having battery charging issues. Ended up breaking one of the volume buttons when opening it up to reset the battery so now I want to recycle it.

Want to be sure the tablet's drive is securely wiped before letting it go.

I could be wrong but I doubt Reset this PC does anything to prevent data recovery if you're worried about that.

I'd probably use dban (you would need a usb drive and I'm guessing an external keyboard) or (if your tablet is actually user-serviceable) I'd just open it up and take out the hard drive.

august on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Hey, folks, I'm flailing around for some help on this minor annoyance that's driving me nuts. Two of my windows keyboard shortcuts have stopped working on my work pc (windows 10).

Windows key (WK) +shift+left (or right) arrow. Moving the active window to another monitor. Totally stopped working.

Stuff I've tried to check/ troubleshoot:
    Each of the individual keys works just fine.
    Sticky keys are off.

Other combinations that still work:
    WK+up
    WK+down
    Any other shortcut with the windows key that I can find.
    Shift still works with things like alt+tab.
    Works on my coworker's PC (he was happy to learn the new combo, at least).

Reboot didn't fix it either. Who knows maybe the next one will.

So I'm left thinking it's somehow an issue with the system recognizing that I have multiple monitors? (I have three). Any ideas on wtf happened or other settings to check? Thanks.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've been wracking my brain on this for a while. If anyone installed recent Windows updates, check the following if your computer won't shut off screens or sleep:
    Power & Sleep Settings > Additional power settings > for current active plan, go to "Change Plan Settings" > Change advanced power settings > USB Settings > USB selective suspend > DISABLE

I believe that Windows reverts this setting back to "ENABLE" during updates. It was keeping my screens from shutting off and my computer from going into Sleep despite Powercfg info not showing any events that were keeping the system awake.

• Options
    I always kill the hiberfile anyway. Hibernate gives no real benefit anymore with how fast SSDs are.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Bobble wrote: »
    Hey, folks, I'm flailing around for some help on this minor annoyance that's driving me nuts. Two of my windows keyboard shortcuts have stopped working on my work pc (windows 10).

Windows key (WK) +shift+left (or right) arrow. Moving the active window to another monitor. Totally stopped working.

*snip*

Just to be that good internet citizen that follows up after I found the solution on my own: For some reason the "snap windows" option in Multitasking got disabled, and for some reason that will disable these shortcuts.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Anyone have issues with Windows just being slugglish all of a sudden? I have 59% free space on my M2 SSD and when I got the machine, it was blazing fast. I'm not sure if it's a Windows Update, or what, but lately when interacting with Windows things are just slugglish. For example the taskbar might not smoothly come up when the mouse is hovered over it. Also had issue with apps doing the same thing where they seem to struggle to come up for a sec. It's not all the time and the Task Manager shows nothing using resources (CPU under 5%, memory under 30%, GPU under 5%).

Anyone seen this? Any ideas on maybe a better task manager to show what might be going on? Or if it is a windows update, thoughts on rolling back? The reason I think it may be a windows update is right around the time this showed up, I had the News and Interests junk show up (which I turned off, but didn't help).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    If you want to get into the weeds Procmon might give you an idea of stuff running under the hood that are fucking with you.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    For anyone who has wanted to try out Windows on ARM but has been turned off by the stupidly high prices, There's a Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 laptop coming from Samsung for $350USD

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/250762/samsung-galaxy-book-go-brings-snapdragon-on-the-cheap

Might be interesting if you have some cash to burn. in Canadian Monopoly Money it's probably going to be close to $500 so I won't be partaking, but if it was actually $350 in my currency it's something I might actually consider just to play around with and feed my gadget addiction.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    How is Windows on ARM on an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4? I assume the Snapdragon will be a considerably snappier experience?

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    How is Windows on ARM on an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4? I assume the Snapdragon will be a considerably snappier experience?

There's no "official" Windows on ARM version for Raspberry Pi. There is a version of Windows IoT that runs officially on it, but Windows IoT is not the same thing. People have gotten specific builds of the insider version of Windows on ARM running on the Pi 4, but there seems to be issues with updates breaking things. It looks like it can be done, but not exactly an ideal experience.

Windows on ARM should actually be called "Windows on Snapdragon" because the version currently out is optimized for the Qualcomm Snapdragon processors.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    As someone who clung to Win7 as long as possible, the recent speculation of Win11 being announced soon based on suspicious language and graphics from MS are teeth-grittingly hilarious. From my perspective, they only ever made 10 worth switching to because of security updates being halted on 7, so I'm not especially looking forward to yet another incomplete version of windows being launched.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    As someone who clung to Win7 as long as possible, the recent speculation of Win11 being announced soon based on suspicious language and graphics from MS are teeth-grittingly hilarious. From my perspective, they only ever made 10 worth switching to because of security updates being halted on 7, so I'm not especially looking forward to yet another incomplete version of windows being launched.

It’s almost certainly going to be another iterative service pack for Windows 10 with a heavier emphasis on UI polish and branding.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Speaking of UI polish, they recently messed up the power plan settings and ability to customize things or delete unwanted plans in Windows 10. You can still modify things via the command line and pwrcfg command, but they just made it a lot harder for non-power users to do simple things like tweak which plan you are using or make minor customizations. Not a fan.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Speaking of UI polish, they recently messed up the power plan settings and ability to customize things or delete unwanted plans in Windows 10. You can still modify things via the command line and pwrcfg command, but they just made it a lot harder for non-power users to do simple things like tweak which plan you are using or make minor customizations. Not a fan.

Yeah, they also broke the power plan for my minecraft server at the same time so a server with a bunch of people on it got shut off when windows decided it was time to go to sleep.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

On the other hand, the thing that made 7 worth keeping around was feature updates being halted. A final version of 10 that gets no more feature updates but still gets security updates for years would be nice to have.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    BBC News - Windows 10 to be retired in 2025, as new OS unveils
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57443598

The new version is to be unveiled on June 24.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Hopefully free upgrade from 10.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Jazz wrote: »
    BBC News - Windows 10 to be retired in 2025, as new OS unveils
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57443598

The new version is to be unveiled on June 24.

The ISO of the 11 leaked out already. I'm still on 7, I wonder if I can outlast 11 as well.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I know a guy on XP and will never get off it. You can do it!

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Well as long as I'm stuck with a 2600x and a 1070 there's not much point to upgrading. The only game I can't play that I own is Ori and The Will of The Wisps needing DX12. I have a NVME drive ready to go but getting the rest of my hardware upgrades is on hold since they don't exist.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »

Well as long as I'm stuck with a 2600x and a 1070 there's not much point to upgrading. The only game I can't play that I own is Ori and The Will of The Wisps needing DX12. I have a NVME drive ready to go but getting the rest of my hardware upgrades is on hold since they don't exist.

https://www.protondb.com/app/1057090

You can get past the DX12 thing

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hmm, so that's two years on 10 for my current system after support for 8.1 ends. Not ideal, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah, otherwise this is kind a potential PR mess.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Considering 10 was basically free if you had prior versions, I don't see why this would be different.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeek wrote: »

Except you know massive security issues

• Options
    Microsoft needs to unify thier settings/control panel nonsense already. It was a bugbear for all of Win10s lifespan

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Considering 10 was basically free if you had prior versions, I don't see why this would be different.

I know they'd just include the spyware crap anyway, but I didn't really like Win10 being 'free' as they instead loaded it up with all sorts of invasive settings & features.

The restore/rebuild abilities have gotten really good through, as discussed on Brad & Will's pod.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I know they'd just include the spyware crap anyway, but I didn't really like Win10 being 'free' as they instead loaded it up with all sorts of invasive settings & features.

The restore/rebuild abilities have gotten really good through, as discussed on Brad & Will's pod.

Free/Paid didn't matter. Many of the Windows 10 "spyware" features everyone hated were quietly backported to previous versions of Windows eons ago. Windows 7 (and 8.1) have similar privacy issues and objectively worse security. Both due to lack of updates for critical issues and due to fewer layers of security features.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Having been through this exact dilemma 3 years ago, you have 5 realistic options, none of which are the one you want:
    • Keep your Win7 box as a pure games machine and never, ever transact any kind of business on it. Basically turn it into a console. Accept that there will be Problems(tm) with new hardware
    • Suck it up, install Windows 10 and let Microsoft (and any partners they like! They don't have to tell you!) see just how wide they can dilate your privacy orifices
    • Suck it up, install Windows 10, and basically relate your OS as malware and take the continual action required to stop it sneaking up your infobutt
    • Switch to Linux and just accept that there will be some things that won't run as well or at all and do without them or use alternatives.
    • Switch to Linux and work out how to set up a Windows VM for stuff that won't run on Linux (depending on your requirements and capabilities this may involve getting an extra video card and investing some time in Learning Things(tm)

EDIT: And if you're going to go to that much trouble to guard your privacy, then don't forget that your browser is a far leakier sieve than your OS. Windows is sneaking off to see Microsoft behind your back. Your browser is a dirty whore who will do it with anybody.

V1m on
  • Options
    Most of the telemetry that Microsoft collects in Windows 10 actually dates back to Windows Vista. In a way, Windows 10 actually made it more obvious they were doing it.

The biggest difference is that in Vista to Windows 8 it wasn't obvious, and harder to find where to turn it off, but once you did, it was off. In Windows 10, especially earlier versions, there was no way to turn off *some* of the telemetry. But people are kidding themselves if they think data collection was new to Windows 10.

The advertising in Windows 10 was/is unacceptable though. That part is not cool and needs to go away.

As for whether they will charge for Win11. There is no way. That horse is out of the barn. Windows 10 is still free if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1. Microsoft doesn't want additional barriers. They want people off of 7 and 8.1, and eventually 10. It is in their best interest to make the update free.

• Options
    Windows has been pretty much "Of course it's not free but pay us whenever you get around to it OK?" for years now. Because they value the data and advertising space more.

• Options
    Microsoft needs to unify thier settings/control panel nonsense already. It was a bugbear for all of Win10s lifespan

The control panel is never going away, because of legacy tools that plug into it. But in the last couple years they have moved most of what regular consumers would need it for and put it into the "modern settings" interface.

In a personal/home context, I can't remember the last time I needed to go into the control panel, with one exception. Uninstalling Win32 apps still goes there. If they could get that into a more modern looking interface I'd never see the control panel during personal use. Work stuff is different, with the afore mentioned legacy tools that are mostly business tools.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Maybe I turned it all off long ago but I can't say I have noticed any advertising in Windows 10...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You can always try a Windows Debloater

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

I'd recommend knowing what you're doing when running it. But it is just a set of PS scripts so looking at the code and seeing what it's doing isn't hard.