As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• useruser Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Between my pihole being my mobile phones' VPN, my own home network's DNS index, and running uBlock Origin on my desktop's chrome app. I say go ahead Google, I'm not gonna see an ad anyways.

user on
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Veldrin wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Firefox has been my go to since Google disabled the ability to use ad blockers in chrome. It is not perfect, still missing a ton of extensions since the last big update, but I can't browse without an ad blocker anymore.

wait what?

I'm using an ad blocker right now

yeah I use chrome and have had an ad blocker for like, years and years. Like, PA does not show me ads for this forum.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    stop using chrome y'all

like seriously

letting google have like 70% of the browser market and enabling them call shots like this is fuckin absurd

Can you recommend a good browser to use on my Google Pixel 3a phone?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    stop using chrome y'all

like seriously

letting google have like 70% of the browser market and enabling them call shots like this is fuckin absurd

Can you recommend a good browser to use on my Google Pixel 3a phone?

i'm using firefox on my 3a

it has some issues on the forums, but for most other things it works great

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Firefox has been my go to since Google disabled the ability to use ad blockers in chrome. It is not perfect, still missing a ton of extensions since the last big update, but I can't browse without an ad blocker anymore.

wait what?

I'm using an ad blocker right now

yeah I use chrome and have had an ad blocker for like, years and years. Like, PA does not show me ads for this forum.

Google search tells me that no, you can't use an ad blocker extension on chrome for Android. Unless Google is just hiding it from the search results? Like I distinctly remember this decision pushing a whole bunch of people in the forum, possibly this very thread, to switch away from chrome myself included.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    yeah I think people are getting confused with chrome on desktop and chrome on android

chrome on desktop supports extensions, including adblock
    chrome on android does not support extensions, so no adblock

firefox on android supports some extensions, so you can get adblock

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ok I see what I did. We had been discussing phones so when the discussion about browsers came up I just assumed we were still talking phones. Although suggesting that a good ad blocker is sufficient to make use of Google given the article that started this whole conversation seems unwise. Google has already been fined by the EU for violating it's own privacy mode feature by continuing to track users. Now this? Outside of a psa where they just admit they are going to harvest every shred of user data they can and don't give a fuck how that effects you, I don't see how much more it will take to convince people to switch.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited April 2021
    I haven't used a desktop or laptop computer to access a website (for leisure, not work) in years.

I appreciate the suggestion to use firefox on my Pixel, but if there are problems with the forums, that's a no go

I guess google already has whatever data of mine it wants on account of my phone

DouglasDanger on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The best thing about firefox is the "reader view" gets around the paywall for an absurd amount of publications. It's hilarious to me that WP and NYT haven't adapted to it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I haven't used a desktop or laptop computer to access a website (for leisure, not work) in years.

I appreciate the suggestion to use firefox on my Pixel, but if there are problems with the forums, that's a no go

I guess google already has whatever data of mine it wants on account of my phone

I'm on an android using ff (although I'm currently typing this on my laptop, also with ff), and I have no problems with pa when I'm on the phone.

Give it a go. You'll rather quickly find out if it is ok or not.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Ill try it out on my lunch break

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Does Firefox on Android even matter?

Goose! wrote: »
    Does Firefox on Android even matter?

What do you mean?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    As someone who has used Firefox since the days it was called Phoenix/Firebird, Firefox doesn't matter anywhere lol.

0NrfYCs.jpg

there are DOZENS of us

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    On mobile it's no contest, with chrome dominating and safari a distant second.

Otherwise Firefox's pretty popular in Europe at least. Not as much as it used to maybe but still a solid second place I think.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    0NrfYCs.jpg

there are DOZENS of us

compared to Edge, Firefox is doing well, I guess. Edge is only even showing up because it's the highly pushed OS default, I'm surprised it's not higher. Chrome obviously has a huge advantage on android being the default browser like Safari does on iOS, I'm amazed it's captured the desktop market so heavily though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    it's very difficult to compete with integrated system browsers - even though i have firefox set to default on my android phone, half the time I open a link it will still use chrome, if it's a link I clicked from within the operating system - e.g. clicking something in gmail will open a chrome window, clicking on a news article in google news thingy will open chrome, etc. etc. I will freely admit that I can't be assed to switch to firefox whenever this happens, but the OS itself makes it a pain regardless. Feels like mobile should be punished for this much like windows was/is.

I havent used iOS in quite a while - I want to say it respected my defaults more in this respect, but i could be wrong.

microsoft settled out of an antitrust suit about doing that kind of thing with Internet Explorer 20 years ago, I guess we've obviously only gone more lax on antitrust enforcement since then. Need to crack some heads.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    it's very difficult to compete with integrated system browsers - even though i have firefox set to default on my android phone, half the time I open a link it will still use chrome, if it's a link I clicked from within the operating system - e.g. clicking something in gmail will open a chrome window, clicking on a news article in google news thingy will open chrome, etc. etc. I will freely admit that I can't be assed to switch to firefox whenever this happens, but the OS itself makes it a pain regardless. Feels like mobile should be punished for this much like windows was/is.

I havent used iOS in quite a while - I want to say it respected my defaults more in this respect, but i could be wrong.

Check out an app called Lynket. It'll allow you to set a default and secondary browser system wide that will open any link within/from any app to the browser of your choice.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    honestly fronting their shitty browser is like, 150th on the list of things i want to crack big tech's heads over

like maybe that big tech even exists

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ooooh the entire Starlink system is down. There is also some serious solar weather going on. Wonder if its related. I'm posting from my backup satelite connection though, so maybe its better shielded. Could be network upgrades too. It'll be interesting to see whats up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/intel-a-white-nationalism-slider-aint-it-1846639935

Intel is apparently planning to use AI to allow filters for hate speech in online gaming. I do not understand how this wasn't published on April 1. Was the initial presentation on April 1?

iuzhhvzpyrk5tirdalg3.jpg

evopb8aoflbg2qrqdny9.jpg

Source: It's Kotaku

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam

@dril
    turning a big dial taht says "Racism" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right
    7:54 PM · Apr 7, 2021

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Imagine getting working tech that identifies hate speech and then giving it to users to decide how much of it to filter out instead of just ip blocking the people using it.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i was really confused at first at the proposed use case of this software, but I think I understand now that they're pitching it not at broadcasters but at people who are playing games with integrated VOIP where you don't strictly have control over who you have to listen to, or maybe you don't know in advance that they're going to say some bullshit like that

so the filter is to stop you from having to hear it... which if that is true then the thing can't make any differentiation on who actually said it and take a ban on them

at least... that is the only charitable interpretation I can make about this

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I would bet money this thing was trained with US midwestern voices in sterile broadcast quality conditions for US terms and standards and they're going to be SHOCKED that it fails when any other kind of accent or background noise or low quality gaming headsets.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • useruser Registered User regular
    I'm more of the mind that if this thing was enabled it would just about equally quash affirming voices for those identities and marginalized groups as much as hateful ones. And if anything it's trivial to convey the absolute venom of hatred in different terms that this AI isn't trained to catch.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I disagree. This is a great tool for understanding how easily people can outsmart AI filters through slurred speech and other techniques.
    Key missing feature:
    I need on/off switches for every major slur or statement type. I really want to get in there and fine tune my hate speech experience.

What I really want to know is how someone thinks "gee, people just need a filter layer" rather than "fuck racists, lets ban them".

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    They still want the racists to be able to give them money

2x39jD4.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i was really confused at first at the proposed use case of this software, but I think I understand now that they're pitching it not at broadcasters but at people who are playing games with integrated VOIP where you don't strictly have control over who you have to listen to, or maybe you don't know in advance that they're going to say some bullshit like that

so the filter is to stop you from having to hear it... which if that is true then the thing can't make any differentiation on who actually said it and take a ban on them

at least... that is the only charitable interpretation I can make about this

Yeah, at this point my assumption is that this is for streamers who play online games and want their feeds to be kid friendly but can't control voice chat from other players or something. One of the few uses I can think of where it makes sense.

Now I'm just waiting for some voip firm for corporate use to add it, but instead of beeping it instantly sends a message to HR. :V

Jragghen on
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Those use cases make sense to me except that I have no idea what the levels of each of those sliders means or why you would even have them. Why would it not just be like "hate speech yes/no"

Like who is flipping the body shaming switch but is also like "but the misogyny, give me lots of that"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the sliders look like a concept made by a programmers brain and just control how aggressively the AI will attempt to guess at what is being said, at the risk of filtering out a lot of completely normal speech

it makes sense in terms of software, but normal people just see "racism slider"

it makes sense in terms of "we're trying to make AI happen here because we're big invested in AI no matter how terrible this idea is please I need to keep this job we need some sort of product to show investors I'm trapped I can't escape"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    To help train the AI, captchas will now give us lists of words and ask us to select the slurs

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Oh yea, good, audio capchas. 'Please identify what this 13 year old is screaming at you'.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Oh yea, good, audio capchas. 'Please identify what this 13 year old is screaming at you'.

I mean I can't think of a more effective form of non-physical birth control

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Was watching some Python tutorials and this popped up in my feed

MALWARE ANALYSIS - VBScript Decoding & Deobfuscating
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q9-X_NRlJc
    (42:22 mins)

Untangling a silly knot full of /Tan to reveal the malware. Strangely engaging to me who doesn't know anything about anything.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.