As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    I'm like 10-1 against mages with DH. Yes they kill your board, but you ignore that and just whack face with weapons. Basically any face damage from minions is gravy.

Once they are low, the inquisitors come out for 9+ charge damage to close it. Works the same with warlocks too, they just can't block or heal enough when you're not that reliant on minions sticking.

Speaking of which, trying a deck that IS reliant on sticking right now is pure misery. I happened to unwrap that shaman murloc legendary so I tried him out. Hellooo watchposts, endless aoes, and freezes!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Kibler got to Legend on day 1 using a Demon Hunter deck that was feeding on Mages and Control decks.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/om/sannvq4zvj35.png

AAECAea5AwLaxgP04wMO2cYD/tED3dMDxd0DzN0D8+MDwvEDgIUEg58Etp8E0p8E1J8EsqAE7KAEAA==
    I just tried it tonight and how the fuck does this feed on Mages?

Basically what @Acheron said. According to Kibler's tweet, you go heavy into early minion pressure and get as much damage in as possible (no trades, all face). After you've lost the board, you go the burn route with spells, weapons, Hero Powers, and Inquisitor as a burst finish.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Also, Legends of Runeterra just dropped a balance patch and is in a healthy and fun meta (after coming off a pretty bad one). The game's one-year anniversary is coming up in 9 days and a new expansion in one month, so now is a good time to go check it out. Come talk with everyone here.

It's a really solid CCG with minimal RNG effects and lots of player interaction. And I cannot stress this part enough, but SUPER free-to-play. You'll have almost all the cards within 4-6 months of just normal play. Zero money required unless you want card backs, boards, or emotes.

We now take you back to your regularly scheduled Mage and Paladin discussion.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Unfortunately for the Dibby's and me's of the world, this patch seems to have added in more quests that require actually playing games (like play 10 Spells of school X). I'm glad we got more deck slots because I'll probably just make a set of decks for knocking out those sorts of quests as quickly as possible.

YEAH BUT YOU CAN REROLL THE "WIN 5 STANDARD GAMES" WEEKLY NOW WHOOOOOO YEAH
    Oh and how about them making it so that you can't get credit for play games quests by conceding anymore?

wtf

WTF!!!

I guess it's just reroll my dailies into stuff that can completed in BGs, like "Play 30 cards" "play x murlocs" "battlecry cards" "deathrattles" etc

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Honestly I think the meta in general would be healthier if it was just easier to play non-paladin minion-based aggro. The more I've read examinations of Deck of Lunacy both pre- and post-rotation the more certain I am that it was actually just as good a card last format, but kept down by the power level of aggro decks.

The sooner they make some changes the sooner we can get to complaining about how absolutely busted it is that Kazakus lets your golem make a copy of itself

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I just beat a Rogue with a Libram Paladin. I did it in part because I used Tickatus to delete a bunch of their power cards and Cenarius enabled a huge board swing. I also had Envoy Ristwix in hand. When I thought about the game afterwards, it took forever for me to remember/figure out that the root of how they got into the deck was Murgur Murgurgle.

I love Hearthstone for stuff like that.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... what?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Murgur Murgurgle is a Paladin card that adds Murgurgle Prime to your deck.
    Murgurgle Prime has a battlecry to summon four random murlocs. One of those murlocs was probably Magicfin.
    Magicfin is a Shaman card that adds a random legendary to your hand when a friendly murloc dies, which could potentially generate Tickatus, Cenarius, and Envoy Rustwix.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Murgur Murgurgle is a Paladin card that adds Murgurgle Prime to your deck.
    Murgurgle Prime has a battlecry to summon four random murlocs. One of those murlocs was probably Magicfin.
    Magicfin is a Shaman card that adds a random legendary to your hand when a friendly murloc dies, which could potentially generate Tickatus, Cenarius, and Envoy Rustwix.

TWO of them were Magicfin! And my opponent killed the Murgurgle Prime first!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ...wait I've won a game through that exact sequence too, in my last stint

but I don't own murgur

priest!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Kibler got to Legend on day 1 using a Demon Hunter deck that was feeding on Mages and Control decks.

AAECAea5AwLaxgP04wMO2cYD/tED3dMDxd0DzN0D8+MDwvEDgIUEg58Etp8E0p8E1J8EsqAE7KAEAA==

Basically what @Acheron said. According to Kibler's tweet, you go heavy into early minion pressure and get as much damage in as possible (no trades, all face). After you've lost the board, you go the burn route with spells, weapons, Hero Powers, and Inquisitor as a burst finish.
    I don't know if it's just my legendarily bad luck or what, but that game plan didn't seem to coincide with reality.

For one thing, I don't see how a deck with, what, 6 4-mana or less minions can "go heavy into early minion pressure." The few minions I was dropping early would sometimes get one hit in for 2 damage before being easily mopped up by spells or generated minions. Ooh scary. Let's see if I can remember the highlights of how things went down.

Mage 1 had 3 taunted 5/6s on the board on turn 6, which completely wrecks this deck's game plan. I died shortly after. Mage 2 got out a Water Elemental midgame which, surprise, also completely wrecks this deck's game plan. Turns out not being able to attack is pretty detrimental to this deck.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I think the DH vs. Mage had a momentary window where Mages had no clue what was coming.

Now that they understand the threat, they can prep and counter a bit easier.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I don't know if it's just my legendarily bad luck or what, but that game plan didn't seem to coincide with reality.

For one thing, I don't see how a deck with, what, 6 4-mana or less minions can "go heavy into early minion pressure." The few minions I was dropping early would sometimes get one hit in for 2 damage before being easily mopped up by spells or generated minions. Ooh scary. Let's see if I can remember the highlights of how things went down.

Mage 1 had 3 taunted 5/6s on the board on turn 6, which completely wrecks this deck's game plan. I died shortly after. Mage 2 got out a Water Elemental midgame which, surprise, also completely wrecks this deck's game plan. Turns out not being able to attack is pretty detrimental to this deck.

Well, a few things to consider:

1) This is Brian Kibler we're talking about. He can probably pilot most Tier 1/2 decks to Legend.
    2) This list was from day 1 of the expansion drop.
    3) He still had some bonus stars to rank up faster.

You can watch his stream from the day, going from Plat 5 to Legend.

(jump to 5:00.00 to see the start of the climb, which took just over 4 hours)

Now it's possible the day 1 stuff doesn't work anymore because the meta has shifted, but you might still be able to pick up some tips from his gameplay.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    personally i played more than 2 games so that i learned how to play the deck

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    personally i played more than 2 games so that i learned how to play the deck

i don't understand

• Options
    anyway broadly speaking, stats are showing that weapon-based aggro lists like demon hunters and rogues are doing quite well against mages. where they fall off is against paladin

in general, paladin appears to be the strongest deck right now, but you're likely to see more mages - i suspect because paladins are mostly iterations of existing decks, whereas the mage decks people are playing feel a lot Newer and Spicier, so it hits the "new toy" endorphins better for people

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    My highroll win of the day. Oh my yogg rolls a cthun card into blessing of authority leaving the rogue at 0 mana and me with exact lethal.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Unfortunately for the Dibby's and me's of the world, this patch seems to have added in more quests that require actually playing games (like play 10 Spells of school X). I'm glad we got more deck slots because I'll probably just make a set of decks for knocking out those sorts of quests as quickly as possible.

Oh and how about them making it so that you can't get credit for play games quests by conceding anymore?

wtf

WTF!!!

I guess it's just reroll my dailies into stuff that can completed in BGs, like "Play 30 cards" "play x murlocs" "battlecry cards" "deathrattles" etc

I thought the rule was that you needed to be 15 or lower health when you concede to get quest credit. So just run your face into a big minion or something.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

wtf

WTF!!!

I thought the rule was that you needed to be 15 or lower health when you concede to get quest credit. So just run your face into a big minion or something.

Nah prior to this patch you could literally queue up insta concede and it'd give credit.

USED to be that way long before, and they've now reverted it. Booooooo.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Deck of Lunacy needs to be nerfed ASAP. It's just nuts to play and then you get to cheat out so much so early.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    That is the general consensus yes

It was meant to be a meme card used in meme decks

The problem is that it's always been crazy good it's just mage was tier dogshit until the meta shakeup

• Options
    Also this meta really fucking sucks and I quit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm watching Savjz stream Standard and it's Mage mirrors every game at high legend.

Blizzard may need to take a quick gander at this here meta.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that I played deck of lunacy to dad legend before it was famous.

Oddly this has made me better at the mirrors.

• Options
    I had the RNG game of RNG. Both of us did Deck and then at the end I had Solarian Prime into Potion of Illusion into Solarian Prime.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I had the RNG game of RNG. Both of us did Deck and then at the end I had Solarian Prime into Potion of Illusion into Solarian Prime.

That’s not RNG, that’s skill.*

*and by skill I mean RNG

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Opened 75 packs and got a golden Mankrik from my last pack. This is a sign. I don't know what it means but it's definitely a sign of something.

• Options
    You can watch his stream from the day, going from Plat 5 to Legend.

(jump to 5:00.00 to see the start of the climb, which took just over 4 hours)

Now it's possible the day 1 stuff doesn't work anymore because the meta has shifted, but you might still be able to pick up some tips from his gameplay.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.

I noticed he's playing a different version of the deck than the one posted here. Seems to have Sightless Watchers in place of the Wandmakers. Does he switch up the deck at some point?

Lol, well, his first mage game starts at about 5:10 and involves him misplaying and getting destroyed (ironically he also did a lot of trading here). Off to a good start here for the almighty Kibler.

Looks like Mage 2 shows up at 5:53 and now he's playing Wandmakers (but also Il'ynoth?). He got a very good start, early minion curve into Felscreamer/Inquisitor (but the mage also had the nuts), and he died again.

One hour in and he has the same record against mage with Inquisitor DH as I do! :cool:

• Options
    I tried to do Casual last night to knock out some quests and the queue times for it seem to be horrible now. I guess no one wants to play non-Standard Casual anymore, so... it's great that that's gone now too. :|

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Lock and Load is one of my favorite cards but god that's probably a terrible deck compared to anything else right now.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    5 of my last 6 games have been against Mages. Turns out Control Warlock is no good against them either. Went 1-2 tonight, only barely winning the last game.

This has to be the worst meta since aggro DH 1.0, which mercifully only lasted a day or two.

forty on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Opened 75 packs and got a golden Mankrik from my last pack. This is a sign. I don't know what it means but it's definitely a sign of something.

It's a sign alright. We are going out of business.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's a sign alright. We are going out of business.

Perfectly acceptable response given your avatar.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YOU MOTHE....

To make up for my outburst i'll post this nice Controll Warrior instead. It gave some nice winstreaks versus Paladin, Mage and Rogues.

### ConTROLolol
    # Class: Warrior
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Stage Dive
    # 2x (1) Sword and Board
    # 1x (2) Armorsmith
    # 2x (2) Far Watch Post
    # 2x (3) Bladestorm
    # 1x (3) Lord Barov
    # 1x (3) Rokara
    # 1x (4) Kargath Bladefist
    # 1x (4) Outrider's Axe
    # 2x (4) Rancor
    # 2x (4) Sword Eater
    # 2x (4) Whirling Combatant
    # 2x (5) Brawl
    # 1x (5) Cutting Class
    # 2x (5) Stonemaul Anchorman
    # 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
    # 1x (7) Overlord Saurfang
    # 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
    # 1x (9) Rattlegore
    # 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
    # 1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered
    #
    AAECAaCrBAy+uQOT0AOr1AP31AO/4AOO7QOV7QOq7gOoigSwigS0igSHoAQJuLkD9sIDtd4Dwd4D9+gDj+0Dlu0D1fEDiKAEAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

See my profile here!
  • Options
    sanstodo wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

That’s not RNG, that’s skill.*

*and by skill I mean RNG

I firmly believe I won because I have a golden Deck of Lunacy which pushed my skill* level better than their skill* level as Blizzard is a big proponent of skill* winning games.

• Options
    Kibler going 6-1 with Dude Paladin at Legend. Probably early in the expansion drop to not work now, but worth a look if you're interested. Righteous Protector into Caravan is pretty insane value generation.

https://youtu.be/skzJaJ_TiBY
    AAECAZ8FBvy4A4feA5HsA6iKBO6fBMqgBAz7uAPKwQObzQOC3gOE3gOi3gP74wPM6wPK8QOhoATHoATJoAQA

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Fucking crazy how sword of the fallen has an 80% played winrate on curve

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Kibler going 6-1 with Dude Paladin at Legend. Probably early in the expansion drop to not work now, but worth a look if you're interested. Righteous Protector into Caravan is pretty insane value generation.

https://youtu.be/skzJaJ_TiBY
    AAECAZ8FBvy4A4feA5HsA6iKBO6fBMqgBAz7uAPKwQObzQOC3gOE3gOi3gP74wPM6wPK8QOhoATHoATJoAQA

Copied. Thx!

Edit: Named it 'Dude, where's my Carnival'.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Envoy Rustwix might as well be reworded to say "Battlecry: Remove a Devolving Missiles from your opponent's hand and transform this into a random 2-Mana minion."

forty on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Fucking crazy how sword of the fallen has an 80% played winrate on curve

Yeah that cards is nuts. I take back any reservations I had about secret pally being viable, with that card at 2 it’s going be around every expansion.