As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] "Nobody is doing that" Edition

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, wow. I knew it was higher than other places, but not that it was five to ten times higher than in Europe.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It would appear that 1% of the population of Okhlahoma is in prison

Jesus

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Jesus

1.3% even if you only count adults, too.

And 4% among black Oklahomans

https://okpolicy.org/accepting-our-highest-in-the-world-incarceration-rate-means-believing-that-oklahomans-are-the-worst-people/

Just, wow.

But it seems like it's a tight race between Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Mississippi who can put the most people behind bars.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Jesus

https://okpolicy.org/accepting-our-highest-in-the-world-incarceration-rate-means-believing-that-oklahomans-are-the-worst-people/

Just, wow.

But it seems like it's a tight race between Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Mississippi who can put the most people behind bars.
    The prison industrial complex giving the military industrial complex a run for its money.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Tbh that sounds insanely high to me still. The entire prison population here was 83k in 2018, and as far as I'm concerned, that's much too high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

It's pretty awful.
    The United States has the largest prison population in the world, and the highest per-capita incarceration rate.[3][4][5] In 2018 in the US, there were 698 people incarcerated per 100,000;[6] this includes the incarceration rate for adults or people tried as adults.

We’ve always been the most brutal capitalists

• Options

Jesus

Just, wow.

These states got real good at realizing you could cook up bullshit charges against a black man and get free prison labor to replace the slave labor they had just lost

Nice set of incentives there

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    One in five prisoners in the US have, or have had, COVID.

There are people in St. Louis who have been in prison for over a year now despite only having been charged with a crime, because the courts in Missouri have ground to an almost complete stop, and cash bail is a cruel practice that is only an added punishment to those already marginalized by the system.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Jesus

Just, wow.

These states got real good at realizing you could cook up bullshit charges against a black man and get free prison labor to replace the slave labor they had just lost

It's still slave labor. The 13th is very specific about saying that slavery is still legal as punishment for a crime. It's not even a loophole it's just there in the text.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

Jesus

Just, wow.

It's still slave labor. The 13th is very specific about saying that slavery is still legal as punishment for a crime. It's not even a loophole it's just there in the text.

Never meant to imply it was anything but

• Options

Jesus

Just, wow.

I didn't mean that, no. It's just worth saying specifically because what the fuck, America.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Jesus

Just, wow.

The prison industrial complex giving the military industrial complex a run for its money.

America is actually much better at manufacturing new prisoners than it is wars. Lack of proxy wars to sell arms to has been a huge bugaboo for the military industrial complex since '91, but year over year declining crime rates since the 80's hasn't stopped the prison industry.

If only we could get them to fight each other....

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Jesus

Just, wow.

No, no, no,

See, they pay them $0.10/hour so it's not actually slavery!
    Fuck our prison system.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's not even dollars, it's usually functional scrip. The only place they can spend it is in a store or catalog provided by the prison and they might not get to keep their balance (or even purchases) after release.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's not even dollars, it's usually functional scrip. The only place they can spend it is in a store or catalog provided by the prison and they might not get to keep their balance (or even purchases) after release.

And they make their real profit on the families putting money on their commissary accounts. Essentially if I’m putting money on a family members books. To put 25 bucks on their books jailatm charges me a 3 dollar processing fee. That 25 bucks can buy a 15 minute phone call for 4 dollars, or send an email for 50 cents. Or pay 100% markup for food or entertainment items.

zepherin on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Jesus

Just, wow.

I didn't mean that, no. It's just worth saying specifically because what the fuck, America.

Genocidal White Supremacist Settler Nation!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/eric-zorn/ct-column-adam-toledo-chicago-police-protests-martyr-zorn-20210406-lp7kbnzdtzee7iyjanbngfgb2q-story.html
    Column: Let’s wait before turning slain 13-year-old Adam Toledo into a martyr
    It’s too early to say with confidence just what happened in a Little Village neighborhood alley at 2:38 a.m. March 29, when police shot and killed Adam Toledo.
    That said, however, it’s not too early to stop romanticizing and infantilizing 13-year-olds.
    Oh, god, I think I found the worst take

They are 13 years old!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Never too early to start character assassination of literal children to defend extrajudicial murder, though.

Like... that's the underlying problem, isn't it? People are willing to shrug and excuse extrajudicial killings by police officers if someone has ever committed a crime in their life! No! Suspected and even convicted criminals are still goddamn human beings, ostensibly with civil rights that should not be violated!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Oh I hate that opinion piece so much.

It reads like satire. It has to be fake, this man cannot actually exist.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The author is an old white dude who's a fixture of the Chicago Democratic Party.

In other words, corrupt and racist as fuck.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh I hate that opinion piece so much.

It reads like satire. It has to be fake, this man cannot actually exist.

"Eric Zorn is an op-ed columnist for the Chicago Tribune with a liberal/progressive bent who specializes in local news and politics. He’s married with three adult children, lives on the Northwest Side of Chicago and is a regular panelist on "The Mincing Rascals," an award-winning news-talk podcast. He's also a pretty good square-dance fiddler."

I mean I'm still not sure, if it wasn't for the links he included it could well have been a 'modest proposal' - but if he is real, what better example of the Overton window is there?
    That said, I can definitely believe he is into square dancing.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/eric-zorn/ct-column-adam-toledo-chicago-police-protests-martyr-zorn-20210406-lp7kbnzdtzee7iyjanbngfgb2q-story.html
    Column: Let’s wait before turning slain 13-year-old Adam Toledo into a martyr
    It’s too early to say with confidence just what happened in a Little Village neighborhood alley at 2:38 a.m. March 29, when police shot and killed Adam Toledo.
    That said, however, it’s not too early to stop romanticizing and infantilizing 13-year-olds.
    Oh, god, I think I found the worst take

They are 13 years old!

Sounds like a return to old-school Jewish values. I doubt he meant it that way.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The video in this tweet is a tame cut of the video. Description below as well:
    Cops pepper sprayed, beat, and handcuffed army LT Nazario while in uniform. And then let him go.

LT Nazario: “I’m honestly afraid to get out of the car.”

Cop: “You should be.”

Tweet source is a Queens professor, video source is police body cam.

Start contacting your Congressmen and Senators, ESPECIALLY if they are Republican. Pressure them into picking which uniform they respect more because it cannot be both in this situation. Contact information can be found in the links below.
    https://www.house.gov/representatives
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Holy fucking fuckity fuck. A lieutenant Army fucking medic. IN FUCKING UNIFORM.

Maybe this will do something to finally pierce some of that thickheaded stupidity Right-wing voters have wrapped around cops for protection.

Could something like this actually go to the Federal level, seeing as the Army is a Federal force and these cops clearly assaulted this man for no reason?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    If anything, I expect cops would hate a black man in the military more than just about anything in the world. It's a person they want to subjugate in the role they constantly pretend to be in.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Holy fucking fuckity fuck. A lieutenant Army fucking medic. IN FUCKING UNIFORM.

Maybe this will do something to finally pierce some of that thickheaded stupidity Right-wing voters have wrapped around cops for protection.

Could something like this actually go to the Federal level, seeing as the Army is a Federal force and these cops clearly assaulted this man for no reason?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Police have beaten and even killed military in and out of uniform before, the Republicans have already shown which side they're on. They only care about soldiers when they're far away killing brown people, the second they survive long enough to come home most of their promised benefits never materialize and the one that kind of does is a lifelong bureaucratic battle to maintain at minimal standards.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    With the Nazario assault, it needs to be restated, this wasn't hidden camera footage.

That they're willing to do this shit WHILE WEARING FUNCTIONING BODYCAMS, means they're absolutely confident that they'll get away with whatever they're doing. That this kind of thing is tolerable behaviour.

Meaning, when they've chosen to NOT wear their bodycams, or their cams are "malfunctioning", they can't be trusted to be doing anything non-heinous, and should get zero benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Police have beaten other police officers before and gotten away with it.

• Options

Just last week, it was decided to not charge 3 white officers with anything for beating a black police officer who was undercover at a BLM rally.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

The Capitol Riot springs to mind.

And if police turn whistleblower against corrupt or brutal cops, they suddenly find out that miraculously it is possible to fire police (them.)

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Something I'm wondering about is how.many of these incidents happen in jurisdictions where the police chief is elected vs appointed. That's been a real issue of debate here in Austin

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Reading up the details, the entire situation is so fucked up:

1. Police claimed they pulled him over because he had no fear license plate. Lawyers say this isn't true. So they had no reason to covering him as soon as they could walk up and see.

2. They claim the lt was trying to evade them by pulling into a well lit gas station, rather than pulling over right away. Black people have every reason to ensure their actions are well lit.

3. Police officer uses the phrase "fixing to ride the lighting", a phrase used to describe the execution of a black man in "The green mile."

4. One officer demands he get out of the car while the other demands he keep his hands up. It's literally impossible to do both.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    2. They claim the lt was trying to evade them by pulling into a well lit gas station, rather than pulling over right away. Black people have every reason to ensure their actions are well lit.

And cops are entirely aware that that's not exactly an unheard-of thing when pulling someone over at night, specifically because of stuff like this. They knew exactly what was going on there.

Of course, given how amped up they were at the well-lit stop in front of cameras and witnesses, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pissed that they couldn't just quietly execute someone out of sight.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://themarkup.org/google-the-giant/2021/04/09/google-blocks-advertisers-from-targeting-black-lives-matter-youtube-videos

Google Blocks Advertisers from Targeting Black Lives Matter YouTube Videos

“Black power” and “Black Lives Matter” can't be used to find videos for ads, but “White power” and “White lives matter” were just fine

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Reading up the details, the entire situation is so fucked up:

1. Police claimed they pulled him over because he had no fear license plate. Lawyers say this isn't true. So they had no reason to covering him as soon as they could walk up and see.

3. Police officer uses the phrase "fixing to ride the lighting", a phrase used to describe the execution of a black man in "The green mile."

4. One officer demands he get out of the car while the other demands he keep his hands up. It's literally impossible to do both.

And as we saw with the Philando Castile shooting, the default should ALWAYS be the latter. Following instructions that could make the police jumpy, rather than angry, is the best way to avoid getting shot. Making any motion that could be percieved to be a threat, like unhooking a seatbelt, turning off the ignition, or reaching for the wallet they literally just demanded you do, gives them "justification" due to "fear for their life".

Though making them angry is likely to see you get beaten due to the "disrespect" of not immediately following their contradictory instruction, so it's not like there's a good option. Just a (hopefully) less lethal one.

• Options
    How can you possibly manage to both keep your hands up and leave the car? Open the door with your feet?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    How can you possibly manage to both keep your hands up and leave the car? Open the door with your feet?

The closest is placing both hands out of the window and using your left hand to open the door from the outside

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

The closest is placing both hands out of the window and using your left hand to open the door from the outside

But doing anything weird like that is going to look "dangerous" to twitchy cops.

I wonder if brutal cops co-ordinate "impossible requests" so they have an excuse to shoot or beat black people. If I was black I'd have a dashboard cam running all the time.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Which won't work if it's locked. Which it was.

• Options

But doing anything weird like that is going to look "dangerous" to twitchy cops.

I wonder if brutal cops co-ordinate "impossible requests" so they have an excuse to shoot or beat black people. If I was black I'd have a dashboard cam running all the time.

These officers knew they were being filmed while engaging in this behavior. They didn't cover up or turn off their body cameras. Because they felt nothing they were doing was egregious or would see them facing any sort of repercussions.

This discussion has been closed.