As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I fired up Bloodbourne a few months ago and tried to do a new character and found I could not get through it anymore. I wonder if one of the last patches to get it to run on PS5 had negative effects on PS4 because I was getting massive frame drops even in offline mode. It was rough.

Yeah it runs like dogshit on the PS5.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ?

I think it runs great, actually. Butters seems to be saying it no longer runs well on his PS4, not the PS5.

What would you say doesn't run well about it on the PS5? Seems actually a lot snappier and loads faster than I recall it running on the PS4...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bloodborne looks identical, but the loads have been sped up from "interminable" to "blergh".

The frame rate is also locked at 30 now, which only makes a difference in the few places where the game chugged, which wasn't often in my experience.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Well, I’m up to Cascoigne in this run. I feel good about it. This has been a good run so far. I got parrying down par (for some enemies). Usually, it takes me around 5 hours to get up to Cascoigne but it only took me 3 hours this time, including getting the tiny music box.

Gascoigne is dead.

How did I ever beat this dude without knowing how to parry? I parried him three times in this battle. It's like a night and day fight without doing that.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kirkhammer stuns his ass. In all forms.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I always play Kirkhammer until I can get my hands on Ludwig's Holy Blade. Just gimme some big fuck you weapon to smash with.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i am incredibly biased against ludwig's holy blade because it is a black hole from which new players will never escape

it's the soulsborne equivalent of going to france and eating mcdonald's

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Nah. That implies its shit. Its one of the best weapons in the game.

It doesnt work in that analogy.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Drez wrote: »
    ?

I think it runs great, actually. Butters seems to be saying it no longer runs well on his PS4, not the PS5.

What would you say doesn't run well about it on the PS5? Seems actually a lot snappier and loads faster than I recall it running on the PS4...

I feel like the framerate is what kills it for me. But keep in mind that I was running Dark Souls 1 and 2 at 160hz on my computer so going from that to 30fps was a HUGE step down in my eyes.

I bought the Kirkhammer and messed around with it a bit but I didn’t really like the moveset tbh. I may have to mess around with it a little more. I beat Cleric Beast and Father Gas with the Saw Cleaver. I may pick up the Saw Spear and mess around with that next.

Cleared through the ice area (AFAIK) in Code Vein. Boss wasn't too hateful since I had that ice gear on.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Kirkhammer stuns his ass. In all forms.

He's also a ragdoll to the Hunter's Axe even when transformed.

Spin

To

Win

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Question that will sound pedantic and I'm probably overthinking but, question about Gascoigne's daughters quest(s):
    According to Fextralife and Wikidot, the quest essentially consists of the following steps:

1. Telling the young girl girl about the red broach and losing which causes the young girl to get depressed and eaten by a boar -OR- not telling the young girl about the red broach but telling her to go to Odeon chapel where she will be eaten by a boar.
    2. Loot her red ribbon from the big bored boar
    3. Later, after some boss named read only memory, you can go back to that home and give the girl's sister the red ribbon which leads to the white ribbon. This is essentially the quest.
    4. Both sites then add as an afterward that if you send the young girl instead to Iosefka's clinic, it leads to a very useful Formless Odeon rune or some such tthing

The question is: Isn't that just a different branch of the quest? Am I missing something? Not sure why it's worded the way it is on two different sites. It sounds like one path for a different eventual reward.

I always screwed this quest up in the past few times I got into Bloodborne which is why I'm asking.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Question that will sound pedantic and I'm probably overthinking but, question about Gascoigne's daughters quest(s):
    According to Fextralife and Wikidot, the quest essentially consists of the following steps:

1. Telling the young girl girl about the red broach and losing which causes the young girl to get depressed and eaten by a boar -OR- not telling the young girl about the red broach but telling her to go to Odeon chapel where she will be eaten by a boar.
    3. Later, after some boss named read only memory, you can go back to that home and give the girl's sister the red ribbon which leads to the white ribbon. This is essentially the quest.
    4. Both sites then add as an afterward that if you send the young girl instead to Iosefka's clinic, it leads to a very useful Formless Odeon rune or some such tthing

The question is: Isn't that just a different branch of the quest? Am I missing something? Not sure why it's worded the way it is on two different sites. It sounds like one path for a different eventual reward.

I always screwed this quest up in the past few times I got into Bloodborne which is why I'm asking.

Basically yes. The catch to the quest not mentioned in your write up is not doing the early steps before advancing the night by clearing certain required bosses, as they can become locked out at a certain point.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

Basically yes. The catch to the quest not mentioned in your write up is not doing the early steps before advancing the night by clearing certain required bosses, as they can become locked out at a certain point.

Ah, I think I understand but I never got that far in the game so I’m not totally clear on what bosses or mechanics you’re referring to. I mean am I okay now at this point if I want to do the Formless Odeon route or are there other things I should be aware of.

Also, is that rune really good or should I just get the ribbons so I can make my messengers into pretty pretty princesses?

edited April 2021
    You know what? I don’t think I spoke to Iosefka at the start of the game. And now that I beat Gascoigne, did I mess something up?

Drez on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    You know what? I don’t think I spoke to Iosefka at the start of the game. And now that I beat Gascoigne, did I mess something up?

Nah.

Kamar wrote: »

Nah.

Thanks.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Elendil wrote: »
    i am incredibly biased against ludwig's holy blade because it is a black hole from which new players will never escape

I'm not sure how this analogy works, since Ludwig's is a great weapon? The reason it's a black hole people don't escape from is because it's good, not because it's fast food level edible paste. If there were other weapons in the game with as clean a move set that were as easy to get people would use them. Ludwig's is the Claymore of Bloodborne.

There are some other fun weapons in Bloodborne, but a lot of them open up much later, especially if you're on your first or second play through and aren't sure exactly where to go.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling

You missed some dialog from Iosefka, basically.

Spoilers for Iosefka's clinic, mostly story based
    The real Iosefka. The one you interact with now is an imposter who killed the real one and took over her clinic to do experimentation on its patients. Happens after you killed Gascogine and moved into Cathedral Ward.

As for the points on no return for some of the quest lines, they either have to be started or advanced to a certain point before you A) interact with an object in the Grand Cathedral, after a boss and B) defeat the boss at Byrgenwerth. Those are the two least spoilery ways to explain, but those are the two major points that advance the night of the hunt.

Ok thanks!

I don’t think I ever multiplayed in Bloodborne. How does that even work? Is there the equivalent of a summon sign or soapstone? I got some items - bells and blanks (great name for a Heavy Metal Gospel band, by the way), but I am not sure how all that stuff works.

I know it’s related to insight which I also don’t understand. Is that some kind of ember-/effigy-adjacent thing?

Also, the walls keep whispering to me. Screaming. Shrill echoes of pain and chaos. Will their madness ever cease? Will mine?

I don’t think I ever multiplayed in Bloodborne. How does that even work? Is there the equivalent of a summon sign or soapstone? I got some items - bells and blanks (great name for a Heavy Metal Gospel band, by the way), but I am not sure how all that stuff works.

I know it’s related to insight which I also don’t understand. Is that some kind of ember-/effigy-adjacent thing?

Also, the walls keep whispering to me. Screaming. Shrill echoes of pain and chaos. Will their madness ever cease? Will mine?

insight is used like humanity for summons. the beckoning bell will summon cooperators who are nearby you in their version of the game who ring the small resonant bell (which is bought from the insight messenger bath in the hunter's dream, where items cost insight to buy. its outside of the hut through one of the side doors on a ledge). there's also an invader bell which lets you invade people who have rung the beckoning bell as well.

insight is used like humanity for summons. the beckoning bell will summon cooperators who are nearby you in their version of the game who ring the small resonant bell (which is bought from the insight messenger bath in the hunter's dream, where items cost insight to buy. its outside of the hut through one of the side doors on a ledge). there's also an invader bell which lets you invade people who have rung the beckoning bell as well.

Ahh thanks. I forgot about those messengers.

I’m about to go buy that key from the normal messengers (the one that costs 10,000 blood echoes) and then will head into Cathedral Ward.

I’m about to go buy that key from the normal messengers (the one that costs 10,000 blood echoes) and then will head into Cathedral Ward.

you don't have to buy that, if you clear old yharnam that opens up a way past the locked gates as well.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sekiro: I'm curious how far I had gotten, actually. Not far, I think. I got up to...
    The rather corpulent/sumo-wrestler (???) type dude at like a dojo type area? In that stage, you have to kind of circle around to him? There's enemies everywhere and there's like a poison moat/swamp type thing permeating the whole area, if memory serves? Or maybe the enemies use poison? Or the boss does? Or all three? And surrounding the boss are a bunch of enemies that all seem to aggro when you go to fight him. So frustrating and I never got past it.

That's pretty early but it's not the only path. You can try another area if you're feeling it's too hard. However I will say that boss and the one after are where I learned to stop playing Dark Souls and start playing Sekiro.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

you don't have to buy that, if you clear old yharnam that opens up a way past the locked gates as well.

Oh thanks good tip.

TheStig wrote: »
    Sekiro: I'm curious how far I had gotten, actually. Not far, I think. I got up to...
    The rather corpulent/sumo-wrestler (???) type dude at like a dojo type area? In that stage, you have to kind of circle around to him? There's enemies everywhere and there's like a poison moat/swamp type thing permeating the whole area, if memory serves? Or maybe the enemies use poison? Or the boss does? Or all three? And surrounding the boss are a bunch of enemies that all seem to aggro when you go to fight him. So frustrating and I never got past it.

That's pretty early but it's not the only path. You can try another area if you're feeling it's too hard. However I will say that boss and the one after are where I learned to stop playing Dark Souls and start playing Sekiro.

Thanks!

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

I'm not sure how this analogy works, since Ludwig's is a great weapon? The reason it's a black hole people don't escape from is because it's good, not because it's fast food level edible paste. If there were other weapons in the game with as clean a move set that were as easy to get people would use them. Ludwig's is the Claymore of Bloodborne.

There are some other fun weapons in Bloodborne, but a lot of them open up much later, especially if you're on your first or second play through and aren't sure exactly where to go.

The above bolded text is why I'm using it in the first place, and why I doubt there's any other weapon I'll enjoy using as much as it. Claymore has been my go-to for my runs through the Dark Souls games, with any secondary weapon being there because an int scaled magic claymore isn't always the best weapon to use against all enemies. But the wide swing light hit, long range stab heavy hit combo is more or less golden for me in terms of exactly what it does. I know there's a big push from some folks to try all the weapons or whatever, but screw it, it works and it works well.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur

Insight also has a minor effect on some gameplay elements that can slightly affect difficulty, as well, but mostly has some cool atmospheric effects. Basically, think about what it represents and what that would mean in a Lovecraftian sort of world, and you'll get the idea.

It also can be used as currency to buy some upgrade items, which is mostly what I use it for.

And if you ever drop to 0, you lose the ability to talk to the doll until you get it back to at least 1, so keep that in mind.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    And if you ever drop to 0, you lose the ability to talk to the doll until you get it back to at least 1, so keep that in mind.

Note that you can still level up, you just can't talk.

I beat the Blood Starved Beast and now I’m in that first chalice dungeon. Whee!

Oh, didn't actually know that!

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne was my fourth Souls title, and it was at that point where knowledge of the series finally came to my advantage. I have literally never died to Gascoigne, and beat a surprising number of bosses on my first attempt. It's also the only Souls title I've platinumed, despite 1200 hours in DS3.

I really wish we could get a proper update for it on the PS5, maybe even with online play that isn't awful.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Bloodborne's focus on primarily close quarters combat has meant I'm playing the game with one arm tied behind my back up to the point I'm at (the forest with the snake freaks), because all the play methods I used in the Dark Souls games were about defensive, long range play and heavier, staggering attacks against low amounts of enemies that could be pulled or killed in sword and board style play. In Bloodborne, that's asking for a quick trip back to the lantern.

It's technically tied as my third Souls title, as I started Dark Souls 3 around the same time. I have yet to get back to and finish either, though. It's hard to find time to do so. Still, between the two I still feel more proficient with Dark Souls style play; I'm very not good at high-risk close quarters play without instantly panicking (and usually trying to get distance as soon as I get hit as well).

You can actually kill her and still level up from her corpse....

I uh....I just realised me knowing this leads to questions...

You can actually kill her and still level up from her corpse....

I uh....I just realised me knowing this leads to questions...

I only have one question: is your name Lady Jingle, by any chance? :rotate:

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Bloodborne's focus on primarily close quarters combat has meant I'm playing the game with one arm tied behind my back up to the point I'm at (the forest with the snake freaks), because all the play methods I used in the Dark Souls games were about defensive, long range play and heavier, staggering attacks against low amounts of enemies that could be pulled or killed in sword and board style play. In Bloodborne, that's asking for a quick trip back to the lantern.

It's technically tied as my third Souls title, as I started Dark Souls 3 around the same time. I have yet to get back to and finish either, though. It's hard to find time to do so. Still, between the two I still feel more proficient with Dark Souls style play; I'm very not good at high-risk close quarters play without instantly panicking (and usually trying to get distance as soon as I get hit as well).

One thing that took me a while to learn is that almost every boss (and a good number of regular enemies as well) have attacks that are designed specifically to punish you for dodging away from the boss. Once I got into the habit of panic rolling to the side or even into the enemy things got a good bit easier.

It just takes time to get used to the notion that Bloodborne wants you to go in. Get hit? Go in. Swing your weapon, rally some health back. Always be going in. Some of the strongest attacks on certain weapons are the dodge -> attack moves.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Every fight in Bloodborne is basically a lambada. Get in fast and dance. Close. To lambada music.

This discussion has been closed.