As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    For anyone that’s not heard of it yet, a bunch of content creators got together to create a site for Diablo news, guides, tier lists, etc. over at maxroll.gg.

Their build guides are extremely detailed, including variations and explanations for gameplay and item/skill choices.

If you’ve seen Rhykker’s tier lists before, they’re over here now and even allow you to highlight specific classes to see what’s considered “meta” and relative power level.

edit: Speaking of, here’s the current estimation for season 23, pending whatever Firebird buff seems to be on the way...
    https://maxroll.gg/tierlists/solo-tierlist

Nice! Time to add that to the OP right?

Edit: So I can find it if I remember to look for it...

I got you Bets... a week later... :razz:

Season 23 Information:
    Season 23 has no theme per se, but includes a long awaited follower revamp! They will now be able to use almost every item slot, will scale with their main stat, and will offer the player an additional cheat death! The following items will "emanate" when worn by the follower, benefitting the player as well:
    Broken Crown
    Homing Pads, Spaulders of Zakara
    Goldskin
    Custerian Wristguards, Nemesis Bracers
    Gladiator Gauntlets, Gloves of Worship
    Dovu Energy Trap, Rakoff's Glass of Life, The Flavor of Time
    Avarice Band, Krede's Flame
    Sage's Journey (3-pc) [ helm, boots, gloves, belt ]*
    Cain's Destiny (3-pc) [ helm, boots, gloves, pants]*

* You can combine sets with RoRG. (not shared!) Basically, if you lock in Sage's belt & Cain's Pants, your options from there are:
    - boots of one, gloves of the other, Broken Crown for gems
    - boots of one, helm of the other, Gloves of Worship for shrines (not pylons!)

The free sets will be:
    Barb: Wastes - Whirlwind
    Crusader: Roland’s - Sweep Attack
    Demon Hunter: Unhallowed - Multishot, Generator
    Monk: Raiment - Generator
    Necro: Rathma - Army of the Dead
    Doc: Helltooth - Bears, Gargs
    Wiz: Tal Rasha - Multi-element, any skill

Rathma and Firebird sets were revamped!
    Firebird burns it all down, with the most powerful variant focusing on channeling while mirror images (?!) slice everything up with flame blades. Rathma gets a pile of minion meatshields, then spams Army of the Dead.

Bones of Rathma 2-Piece Set: Your permanent minions reduce the cooldown of Army of the Dead by 0.50 second each time they deal damage. Your skeletal warriors spawn faster, and your revived minions no longer expire.
    Bones of Rathma 4-Piece Set: Your minions no longer take damage. You gain 1% damage reduction for 15 seconds each time one of your minions deal damage. Maximum of 75 stacks.
    Bones of Rathma 6-Piece Set: Each permanent active minion increases the damage of Army of the Dead by 500%, up to 9000%.
    Defiler Cuisses: Bone Spirit's damage is increased by 400% to 500% for every second it is active and will also freeze enemies on impact. Maximum of 5 seconds.
    *New item* Bonds of C'Lena: Army of the Dead deals 75% to 100% increased damage or double this bonus against an active target of Command Skeletons.

Firebird's Finery 2-Piece Set: Disintegrate Ignites enemies, causing them to take 3000% weapon damage per second until they die. When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60-second cooldown.
    Firebird's Finery 4-Piece Set: Casting Disintegrate adds Combustion stacks that reduce the cooldown of Teleport by 2% per stack. Stacks up to 50 times. You gain 80% damage reduction while maintaining Combustion stacks.
    Firebird's Finery 6-Piece Set: You gain 5000% increased damage while Ignite is applied to a target. Hitting an Ignited enemy with a non-channeling fire spell deals Ignite damage multiplied by Combustion stacks.

Conquests:
    Avarice: 50mil gold streak
    Speed Demon: <2min Torment X rift
    Boss Mode: Boss rush
    Divinity: GR 75 solo
    Masters of the Universe: Master 8 dungeons

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    UE and Wastes from haedrig.

Plus the easiest conquests.

Fast season.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yep, nice and painless season this time. Looks like I won't even have to get a Shadow set.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Pretty sure I’m still going DH > Shadow/GoD to get rolling, then LoD wiz of some sort to get Firebird.

LoD Wiz start is also tempting. Either way I want to build those three sets, and possibly Twister Wiz.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Anyone seen D3 sales anywhere?
    My buddy has it on Switch and wants to play together, which I could buy if it goes on sale...or I can buy him the game on PC if it goes on sale since it's the best version!

I've owned the game since release, so I never know when it might be discounted since it hasn't ever mattered, so I don't know if I should be expecting anything coming up.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    My buddy has it on Switch and wants to play together, which I could buy if it goes on sale...or I can buy him the game on PC if it goes on sale since it's the best version!

I've owned the game since release, so I never know when it might be discounted since it hasn't ever mattered, so I don't know if I should be expecting anything coming up.

It goes on sale for both with fair regularity. I can't even check the price on the eshop though, because I own it, and it just says "downloaded" :( I just checked Amazon, there's a physical PC copy for $15, but said there's only one in stock.

Might wait for the weekend to start? Are Easter sales a thing? Sorry, this isn't helpful at all.

Anyway, I dorked around last night with the patch, to get all my seasonal junk from the mail, and to mess with Rathma and try to gear followers.

Rathma...works...it's just...meh?

I don't have ideal gear, so I could definitely get more CDR to make it smoother, but even if I did, it just feels kinda janky in a way that makes me wish I were just playing spidermancer instead. Of course, that build too requires a silly amount of CDR to feel intuitive.

I think part of the problem is that the area of effect of almost all of the AotD runes are in the 15y range, which is a lot smaller than it seems like it should be, even with Unconventional Warfare as a gimme rune from Fates Vow. It plays more like a CE build, than what one might imagine a pet build would feel like. The DPS of your minions are still absolutely worthless, the entirety of your damage comes from AotD, so the whole style is "force AotD off cooldown, and twiddle your thumbs until then". With high density you can keep it moving quickly, but no quicker than any sort of CE build, and all those have the benefits of how easy it is to make corpses; i.e. it's easier to get corpses on the ground than it is to stack CDR to make AotD to be fast casting. I haven't tried the poison/cursed scythe variant, but the set and CDR requirements already leave you squishy enough that I have zero desire to get in things faces to apply curses and keep poisons up. Plus it also requires CoE rotations which I despise so....:rotate:

Didn't get a chance to try Firebirds, I got all the gear setup on my Wizard but it was just too late to give it a go.

At least for Necro, Masq Bone Spear is under no threat of being overtaken as the most powerful build. Spidermancer is still the most enjoyable Necro build to me, but isn't as immediately accessible as Bone Spear (or LoD Scythes or mages).

Necro in general is just too squishy across the board, particularly now with the Rathma shield skill being nerfed to uselessness across all builds. The Rathma set should have been more tanky, the 4pc just isn't sufficent for a class that has so little sources of mitigation. I guess you could drop Crimsons and go Dayntee and use Aura of Frailty, but giving up Crimsons would make getting the CDR necessary for AotD nearly impossible. It's lose/lose all over the place. Maybe drop Krysbins for a Unity? Big DPS loss though. I don't know. I'm not sure Blizzard knows either. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I think the digital one goes on a major sale around Blizzcon every year. Think also around Christmas too. Not sure if they do a Spring type sale.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Which build is Spidermancer?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    More like Rathmeh, heh heh
    Ringo wrote: »
    Which build is Spidermancer?

Since I’d forgotten that name and looked it up:
    https://youtu.be/v-lGAnTSpIU

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What time does the season unlock? 8pm est?

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What time does the season unlock? 8pm est?

8:04, when the intern remembers to push the button. (yes 8)

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited I'm gonna dive back into D3 after such a long time. I've been playing another online game too much and need a bit of a brain break. I haven't played since season 2 was introduced. Also the fact from looking at that meta guide tier list that the frenzy thorns barb is back, my first original inferno clear was with that build so I might target that for this season, or just go with a mob clearing DH.
    WE'll see if I can keep my alt-itus in check though

• Options
    Season 2!? Oh man, you have a bunch of new stuff to discover!

Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck on the journey or cube, and join the PAF community so we can invite you to the clan.

• Options
    We'll be on terribly late tonight, but we plan on being on.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    hmm so it seems I could do a cahallenge rift to get a bit of a headstart with the season then? is anything gated through the campaign at all anymore? or is it just bounce into rifts?
    Is key farming a thing? I think I saw some notes it was removed? if so, what benefit does bounties bring?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    You can completely ignore the campaign now, so generally you just go right into adventure mode rifts.

If you want to do the challenge rift method, wait to start it until after the season has started, then you can claim the bag on your new character. The bag has some materials and blood shards for gambling at Kadala. If you’re going Barb, you could try to gamble for a skill boosting bracer or go riskier and buy rings for band of might. If DH, I’d go for bracers for damage reduction. Save all other shards for either 34 (for DH quivers), or 70 for gearing in general. You can also use the Death’s Breaths you get from the bag to level your smith and upgrade a rare item into a legendary. I’m not really sure what Barb would go for there with WW being the set, maybe still a big 2h Mighty Weapon anyway. For DH, most say to upgrade a Dagger since you’ll get either an Impale or Fan of Knives boost.

If that all sounds intense, it’s not the end of the world if you save your challenge rift for later and just jump in and play.

Key farming isn’t much of a thing anymore, generally there are better things to wear then a hellfire.

Bounties give you smith and gem recipes, have special materials that are used to craft level 70 legendaries, and could also be used to reroll an item. You can worry about that last one later.

edit: and how could I forget... bounties also have specific bounty-only items per act, so it’s good to do them for 1 or 2 Rings of Royal Grandeur from act 1.

Noggin on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The notable bounty rewards you want to keep an eye out for are:

Ring of Royal Grandeur, Act 1
    Illusory Boots, Act 2
    Avarice Band, Act 3
    Act 4 can drop any of the other act items randomly (maybe not Act 5?)

There are obviously a lot more items than those, that are cache specific, but those are the ones that are broadly useful that many builds can use.

And yeah, the safest way to do the challenge rift for the new season is to make your character, load them up, then exit out of the world and switch to challenge, do it, then log back in on that character after switching back to adventure mode.

Also, if you've never had a level 70 and/or completed the campaign on a season, you might have to do that first. I hadn't played since season 3 or so until I start playing again regularly last year, and I had to get a 70 on Hardcore prior to being able to do the challenge rift, because I only had done softcore prior, and one apparently doesn't count for the other. Last thing, you only get one challenge bag per account, per week, regardless of softcore or hardcore, so keep that in mind if you're choosing between one or the other. If you do it on softcore then change your mind you have to wait until the next week (or Monday afternoon anyway) before you can get another. EDIT: if you make a character in either mode, and you're unable to select adventure or challenge mode, you'll need to either get to 70 or complete the campaign first.

I would suggest, if you haven't played in some time, to maybe not jump directly into hardcore though. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    The notable bounty rewards you want to keep an eye out for are:

Ring of Royal Grandeur, Act 1
    Illusory Boots, Act 2
    Avarice Band, Act 3
    Act 4 can drop any of the other act items randomly (maybe not Act 5?)

There are obviously a lot more items than those, that are cache specific, but those are the ones that are broadly useful that many builds can use.

And yeah, the safest way to do the challenge rift for the new season is to make your character, load them up, then exit out of the world and switch to challenge, do it, then log back in on that character after switching back to adventure mode.

Also, if you've never had a level 70 and/or completed the campaign on a season, you might have to do that first. I hadn't played since season 3 or so until I start playing again regularly last year, and I had to get a 70 on Hardcore prior to being able to do the challenge rift, because I only had done softcore prior, and one apparently doesn't count for the other. Last thing, you only get one challenge bag per account, per week, regardless of softcore or hardcore, so keep that in mind if you're choosing between one or the other. If you do it on softcore then change your mind you have to wait until the next week (or Monday afternoon anyway) before you can get another. EDIT: if you make a character in either mode, and you're unable to select adventure or challenge mode, you'll need to either get to 70 or complete the campaign first.

I would suggest, if you haven't played in some time, to maybe not jump directly into hardcore though. :lol:

cool. thanks for the mini guide. HC is not gonna happen, I stopped played due to crappy connections to the Bnet servers, but recently it's cleared up a bit.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

D3 is half off on the Switch eshop right now. All expansion/DLC stuff on PC is baked into the Switch version.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Thanks for the ping!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Have some time to myself over Easter so thought I'd give the new season a go. Decided to give barb a go, glad I did as the 6 piece wastes set once you get the ww/rend sword is heaps of fun. And the follower changes are great. Currently have mine set up to do double death's breaths, champ spawn on pylons and gold on massacre bonuses.

• Options
    Definitely a great season to start as a barb!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    So Firebird is pretty powerful and really tanky.

I think I can't play the mirror image version, at least, though. It's going to give me a migraine.

Instead of doing something sensible like just having the images appear around you, it actually offsets you to place them, so every time you cast them, it jerks the screen a bit to move you, and it's extremely disorienting.

I don't at all understand why they have it that way. It is absurdly unpleasant. Does anyone enjoy having their screen jerked around every few seconds? :rotate:

Using a build that you trigger the firebird 6pc yourself is fine. Substantially slower, but a lot more pleasant to play. I actually enjoy tal rasha more, but it is extremely squishy. Maybe I should just level LoD and do a hydra or orb build.

EDIT: rolling in DB's to the point that I actually can't spend them because I don't have any other resources. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Vyr is also viable

• Options
    Almost done with the journey on PC, thought I'd load up the Switch version to get the challenge rift and a character set up.

nada from all the shards.

Slorak's Madness from the cube upgrade.

Fuck me I guess. Won't bother with that till I can get another rift bag monday and pretend this just didn't happen.

I can deal with not getting any thing from shards. it's rng. But why in the hell is there an actually useless wand you can roll. Not useless like "this isn't my style", useless in that it does literally nothing but laugh at you when you die.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The follower change foes seem to remove the db limitations.

As someone who only dips in here and there, it's crazy how fast people gear and climb nowadays.

I'm still omw to Firebirds.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So not knowing how Haedrigs Gift works on Switch, I sorta fell ass backwards into a starter HotA build for the Barb (w/ only 2 items), leapfrogging from Master up to T5 as I finished chapter 4 of the season journey and still no rewards

Turns out they hid a “claim reward” button 3 levels down in the Season menu instead of just mailing it to you like I thought they would

Anyway so now I have my WhirlRend setup with only the set and real shitty Ambo’s Pride and my god this is just on another level

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    I'm trying the Firebirds build on Switch since I've never used Firebirds before and haven't played a Wizard since Energy Twister was the dominant build. Only have 2pc so far but I'm rolling through T8 rifts. Lots of fun. I also forgot that my Bone Spear necro was seasonal but it ended up being a nice surprise- I logged on in time to get his gear and am now sitting pretty at p1911.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    RNG really wants me to play Hydras again this season. First cubed wand was Serpents and one of my first sources was Winters Flurry.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The firebird meta build asks a lot of you for a build where images do most of your damage. You need to teleport and spectral blade every 5s to keep DR going, you need to build and keep 3 different stacks with channeling to keep damage shields and DR, as well as using mirror image and explosive blast...

In my experience it flickers from invulnerable to splut a lot.

This is my first season in a long while, but I think the magic is too diminished. It couldn't hold my attention for very long.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The firebird meta build asks a lot of you for a build where images do most of your damage. You need to teleport and spectral blade every 5s to keep DR going, you need to build and keep 3 different stacks with channeling to keep damage shields and DR, as well as using mirror image and explosive blast...

In my experience it flickers from invulnerable to splut a lot.

This is my first season in a long while, but I think the magic is too diminished. It couldn't hold my attention for very long.

I too was annoyed with the Mirror Image build. My husband, who is also checking out the Firebird changes with me, made a good suggestion that made the build a lot more manageable. Ditch the flame blades, mirror images, and explosive blast. Use Electrocute with Forked Lightning -- that will trigger the bonus damage from the 6 piece after Igniting them with Disintegrate. Then grab the belt and the wand that each increase your attack speed from primary attacks by 50%, and grab the Wizard Orb that lets Electrocute hit an enemy multiple times per blast. I've been zooming through T16 just fine. The build still feels a little clunky, since you have to hit once with Disintegrate then again with Electrocute, but it's way more manageable than everything going on in the Mirror Images build.

• Options
    This week's challenge rift appears extremely weird, but you can easily beat the timer.

The Brigg's Wrath ring gives the curse a vortex effect making a dense clump of enemies. Shoot a bone spear or two. Once you have even a single corpse, corpse explosion will delete everything else.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    I foolishly tried Necro as my starting class because it had the new Rathma set for its starter and I wanted to see how that went. I haven't really had fun with this class - ever - because it always feels like I'm leashed to some stupidly long cooldown (LotD). I'm not really impressed, though. With most (all?) sets you have a workable build once you get your 6-piece bonus, and as you fill in more of the associated legendaries you can bump up the Torment/GR levels accordingly. Missing the "correct" weapon means similar gameplay on T10 instead of T13, etc.

With Rathma... it's all based on AotD, so getting better feels more like finding more ways to reduce that cooldown (more cooldown reduction, faster attack speed) and going down to T6 doesn't really speed things up much because I'm basically useless when it's on CD. It's gotten a bit better with some nicer items but it was like pulling teeth at the start. Would be really nice to have a damage bonus on anything other than the main nuke so my army can actually kill something.

Moving on to FB... looks a lot better for the time being.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Diablo 2 Technical Alpha will be running this weekend; focusing on the first two acts and Amazon, Barb, & Sorc.

It appears invites will go out in waves on Friday Thursday, so watch those inboxes!

e: misread!

Noggin on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Specifically on that build it says to avoid Speed pylons due to Attack Speed increases being detrimental, so I'm guessing "Slow but Safe" is how it works out
    As someone who hasn't played in a good while and only ever played pretty casually, there are builds where attack speed is bad? Crazy.

• Options
    So last night we tried a new fun thing. D3 Season on the Switch. So weird playing the game on tiny screens, but a fun alternative so far. It is much more fun than playing co-op on the PS4 since we have two switches and don't have to wait for the other to check inventory or whatever. Plus can run away from each other if need be. We'll see if we can finish the Season there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Early season gear is weird

Running 3pc Firebird (RRG is cubed so it’s technically 4 piece), Helgrash’s, with 2pc Typhon and Serpent/Winter. Basically it’s hoping my Frost Hydras under Blizzard can kill something while I’m holding a mana neutral Convergence Disintegrate on the targets at the same time.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Specifically on that build it says to avoid Speed pylons due to Attack Speed increases being detrimental, so I'm guessing "Slow but Safe" is how it works out
    As someone who hasn't played in a good while and only ever played pretty casually, there are builds where attack speed is bad? Crazy.

I think it was basically faster attack speed will drain your resources before your actual burst damage has recharged kind of deal, but yeah it threw me for a loop

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.