As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I didn’t find the school stuff that bad. Basically you raise their skills a bit by pressing icons, then you do a fight, then there is a cutscene. There is some crap like giving gifts and drinking tea, but don’t do that and you’re golden.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I didn't hate the school bit. But if you want to be a bit of a completionist who does and sees everything, then ideally once a month you do a full walk round the campus and chat to everybody. This takes a little over an hour if you're easy going about it. Now the nice thing is you only have to do this once a month, and the rest of the month you can just do an abridged version where you talk and gift to the people you want in 5 minutes. The bad thing is you're doing that full tour like 20+ times over the course of the game. So near the end of the game, it was really starting to feel like a grind. A grind I'm doing because it's how you get a lot of the characterization out of people. Which also meant I'd have to do it all over again if I did another playthrough.

The other side of the coin was battles. After a point, the best use of your time during a week, if you weren't popping into the school to give gifts, was to spend all 3 "time periods" doing training battles. Now this might be on me, but I also come from a background where XP in Fire Emblem is Civilization, and you do not pass over any opportunity to collect it. And again, by the end of the game all that battling added up and it felt grindy by the end.

So overall, any given month is an hour doing campus work, followed by anywhere from 3/6/9 battles, depending how the month goes and how often you pop back in for gifts. Doing all that busy work to get to the reward at the end, which is that month's story mission. And to give the game credit, god damn were those rewards worth it. I had an absolute blast the first half of the game, but by the second half all that started to add up and weigh me down. Doing all this work to get to the cookie at the end And again, most of that might be on me. But it felt like the "best" way to play the game.

Still love the game to bits. I don't want to get into super spoilers since I don't know how much of the general premise is now public knowledge, but...:
    I picked Blue Lions. I got to the midway point, and my thought was "I need to do multiple playthroughs of the other runs, because how the fuck does that even play out?!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Up to level 7 in Balan Wonderworld. I 100% almost every game i play and this one might be one of the rare misses for me.

I just want to finish the game on principle at this point while it's jank did not immediately put me off (I did buy it.) The game is just aggressively "Okay" Halfway through the session my brain is like "Man i want to go back to playing Monster Hunter"

The weakness of playing 2 games in Alternating sessions is when one is an amazing feast for the senses and the other one is mashed potatos but like not good mashed potatos unseasoned mashed potatos made by crushing full potatos without even peeling them.

I'm hungry

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Up to level 7 in Balan Wonderworld. I 100% almost every game i play and this one might be one of the rare misses for me.

I just want to finish the game on principle at this point while it's jank did not immediately put me off (I did buy it.) The game is just aggressively "Okay" Halfway through the session my brain is like "Man i want to go back to playing Monster Hunter"

The weakness of playing 2 games in Alternating sessions is when one is an amazing feast for the senses and the other one is mashed potatos but like not good mashed potatos unseasoned mashed potatos made by crushing full potatos without even peeling them.

I'm hungry

Rustic smashed potatoes with option to alter to your own tastes?

That's some gourmet shit right there.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    I don't want to hear any Pikmin lamenting from you fuckers. You at least got a port of Pikmin 3 and soon that mobile game no one asked for. What about the ever suffering Metroid fans? I guess we can play Metroid and Super Metroid on Nintendo Switch Online.

You see what you're doing to us, Nintendo? You're tearing us apart.

As much as I am a suffering Metroid fan myself its even worse to be a huge fan of Advance Wars. That is never coming back.

Fucking Fire Emblem, grumble grumble.

And you can argue Fire Emblem isn't coming back either.

Much as I did like Three Houses, that game to me was straight up an FE-themed school life sim with a tactical minigame tacked on more than it was a Fire Emblem.

Hi, it's me, Part Of The Problem.

I liked the school life sim stuff more than the tactical fighting parts.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I just like a good well-rounded set of mechanics so just as soon as you get bored of doing one thing you get to do something else for a while.

Like in between tactical combat in XCOM you get to do some base building and global mission management.

Or between monster hunts in Rise you get to go set up your cat leveling and send them on missions and play the lottery and trade with the Dutch.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Or how in Hades, when you are done talking to people and leveling up relationships, you go and fight your way through the underworld for a bit.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Or like Persona, which I think is what Fire Emblem was trying to capture.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I find myself wanting to pick up Chocobo Dungeon as I had it on Wii but never finished it and I reckon it’ll be good to play in short handheld bursts. Any other recommendations in the genre before I just got for what I know? Shiren is probably a bit too hardcore for my current desires and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon too easy (going by their DS counterparts I had played). I’m not interested in anything that goes into separate turn based battles for fights like Etrian Odyssey.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Azure Dreams on ps1 seems like almost a carbon copy of what the original chocobo dungeon did. Well with the addition of some light dating stuff and town rebuilding. But it has a very similar dungeon experience. You plus a monster you have tamed trying to reach the top of a randomly generated tower. Every step you take enemies can take a step. It even looks similar.

Can be kind of hard but it's random so one run suddenly you will be godlike.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh wow I got pilled upon and shat on by all the industry giants...
    I said more then once, I know why Sony did that, everyone does. It's no big galaxy brain realization, don't flatter yourselves.

I still hate it and think it's bullshit.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    gave A Long Way Down a chance as I hadn't played a deckbuilder in a long time. It's pretty good but doesn't reach great for me. The card battling is pretty standard but it has an interesting mechanic where you use a different deck to build the actual map you traverse. Compounding that is you take turns doing so with an enemy NPC, and there are some neat things that can be done with the map tiles such as rotate them, destroy walls, place traps etc. I like the map part better than the card battles, which is probably not great praise for a card battler game lol. There's a few things that are really annoying to me though, selecting what card/map tile to play is frustratingly slow, and the game's music is well done except they are in really short snippets that loop so even though I'll hear a tune I initially like, within moments it just becomes... annoying. But it's got a neat graphical style that emphasizes shadows a lot, and has some basis in vodou/voodoo mythology that's pretty interesting.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Uh oh, looks like some people are going to be sinking a lot of money into Build a Bear soon!

fge5yjcvfab5.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    each build a bear location only has one resident. good luck

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

And the Isabelle locations are already sold out.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Azure Dreams on ps1 seems like almost a carbon copy of what the original chocobo dungeon did. Well with the addition of some light dating stuff and town rebuilding. But it has a very similar dungeon experience. You plus a monster you have tamed trying to reach the top of a randomly generated tower. Every step you take enemies can take a step. It even looks similar.

Can be kind of hard but it's random so one run suddenly you will be godlike.

Isn't Azure Dreams older than chocobo dungeon?
    oh wow I got pilled upon and shat on by all the industry giants...
    I said more then once, I know why Sony did that, everyone does. It's no big galaxy brain realization, don't flatter yourselves.

I still hate it and think it's bullshit.

No, you were right. Nintendo is a shitty company, and what they did was shitty and exploitative. Other companies are also bad. That does not make Nintendo not shitty.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    The Mystery Dungeon franchise started in 1993

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

In keeping with the era of its release, the first game was themed after this venerable franchise:
    vFNWtOm.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

In keeping with the era of its release, the first game was themed after this venerable franchise:
    vFNWtOm.jpg

Honestly, the murders in Mystery Dungeon are the most solved of all time. There's a text log laying out what happened in what order, would be hard for the defense lawyer to argue.

"It says here your client attacked with a sword for 3 points of damage, then missed three times, then attacked again with the sword, dealing 6 damage and killing the victim."

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I find myself wanting to pick up Chocobo Dungeon as I had it on Wii but never finished it and I reckon it’ll be good to play in short handheld bursts. Any other recommendations in the genre before I just got for what I know? Shiren is probably a bit too hardcore for my current desires and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon too easy (going by their DS counterparts I had played). I’m not interested in anything that goes into separate turn based battles for fights like Etrian Odyssey.

I don't have any advice for you, since I'm fairly new to the genre myself, but I recently picked up chocobo's mystery dungeon and I really like it. You can tell you're kind of playing a game from that Wii/360/PS3 era (which I don't really mind since I loved that period of gaming) but it's still super charming and a lot of fun. Although to be honest, I haven't really felt challenged yet in the dungeons, although I'm sure the difficulty will pick up eventually.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Me and my partner both just played through sayonara wild hearts and oh my god was it an adorable experience

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Marvelous is doing a No More Heroes 3 livestream on April 8th. It's going to be in Japanese though, but Suda51 is supposed to be revealing some new information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLl-aLeuNbE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh yeah, I forgot Botan was gonna be part of that stream, neat

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I can't even tell if this is serious.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

This is both genius and evil.

I love it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I can't even tell if this is serious.

It was on Nintendo's official Facebook page and it wasn't posted on the first, so it's quite legit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna start Fire Emblem! I'm gonna do it! AAA!

If I've never played one of these before, Casual or Classic?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm gonna start Fire Emblem! I'm gonna do it! AAA!

If I've never played one of these before, Casual or Classic?

Casual is way more fun IMO. Losing people permanently adds a layer of stress to everything.

Unless you're into that sorta thing. In which case go Classic!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    FE3H also has a mechanic you unlock relatively early on that can reverse unit deaths during battle. I played Classic and used that mechanic a couple of times to save units.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I'm playing on Casual and given how easy it is to accidentally get someone killed, it's nice to not have to worry about it. I find the game stressful enough that worrying about someone missing an attack or getting ganged up on was more than I felt like dealing with.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Same. Unless you really, really grind it never really becomes a cakewalk.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Republic Commando will always be an instant-buy for me. But god damn, Aspyr, your lazy ports are really getting on my nerves.

If ever a game screamed for a remake it's this one.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Nintendo announced that they're going to be at E3 this year.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

In other news, apparently there's going to be an E3 this year?

It'll be interesting to see how many developers attend.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's Virtual E3, just like every E3 for me.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Republic Commando will always be an instant-buy for me. But god damn, Aspyr, your lazy ports are really getting on my nerves.

Yeah, it sounds like it's really rough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/mlfyfm/psa_republic_commando_port_is_rough/

This Switch game tells you to press 7 on the keyboard to enter sniper mode.

• Options
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's Virtual E3, just like every E3 for me.

Right, but last I heard they were still charging $Belgium for publishers to showcase.

Which made (business) sense* when that was the only way for publishers to get access to the retailers that would sell their stuff, but much less so now that video streaming is open to all and physical retailers are increasingly less important.

*I personally don't think that practice was awesome, if certain people are hot to misinterpret and post condescending snark again.

• Options

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/mlfyfm/psa_republic_commando_port_is_rough/

I guess I'll wait for the inevitable patch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

How does an original XBox game have framerate issues??????

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Okay, so we just got a new SD card from Amazon for our Switch, and this is what arrived:

ddw9ym60wbww.jpeg

Now, I'm skeptical-- I've been in this thread long enough to see the red flags and hear about the perils of non-SanDisk cards, but my wife notes this has a 4.5 rating on Amazon.

Before doing anything else with it, I wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with this brand and if it might be okay to use, or if we should just send it back?

Edit: Oh, and for the "just Google it" crowd, I did, and results turned up one for and one against this brand.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!