As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Okay, so we just got a new SD card from Amazon for our Switch, and this is what arrived:

ddw9ym60wbww.jpeg

Now, I'm skeptical-- I've been in this thread long enough to see the red flags and hear about the perils of non-SanDisk cards, but my wife notes this has a 4.5 rating on Amazon.

Before doing anything else with it, I wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with this brand and if it might be okay to use, or if we should just send it back?

Edit: Oh, and for the "just Google it" crowd, I did, and results turned up one for and one against this brand.

I used the tool that was recommended earlier in a previous thread to test my daughter's SD card before using it. It was the first one on this list.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-sd-card-speed-capacity/

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Okay, so we just got a new SD card from Amazon for our Switch, and this is what arrived:

ddw9ym60wbww.jpeg

Now, I'm skeptical-- I've been in this thread long enough to see the red flags and hear about the perils of non-SanDisk cards, but my wife notes this has a 4.5 rating on Amazon.

Before doing anything else with it, I wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with this brand and if it might be okay to use, or if we should just send it back?

Edit: Oh, and for the "just Google it" crowd, I did, and results turned up one for and one against this brand.

You ordered a san disk card? If so, send it back. It's not what you ordered.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    4.5 star rating on Amazon means absolutely nothing nowadays.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Use H2testw to test it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFhHq2mvq2I

The big danger with cards is that it'll say it's 100 gigs, but it's actually just a 3 gig card. So use that program to write like 10 gigs and see if it errors out or not. No point spending the effort trying the whole thing at first. If by some miracle you don't get an error though, then try the whole 256 gigs.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wouldn't even open it. Even if it is the correct capacity, speed of the sd card is important for load times and performance; if you ordered a class 10 card and they sent you something slow, you're getting ripped off.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

ddw9ym60wbww.jpeg

Don't buy SD Cards on Amazon

Fuck, at this point, just don't buy anything on Amazon. Amazon is nothing anymore but shitty Chinese knock-offs, and their reviews are all 95% fake.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I've never gotten a counterfeit SD card from Amazon and I've bought quite a lot of them. Just don't buy off-brand and make sure the seller is Amazon, not some third party.

@LBD_Nytetrayn is that the card you ordered or did you order a SanDisk or something and get that?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nope, that one is what we ordered. My wife wasn't looking closely and got taken in by the color scheme.

I'm pretty sure I've told her this stuff before, but if I didn't, she knows now.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Amazon's returns are generally pretty easy and you can probably return an opened product. Plus if you run some tests and the speed/capacity aren't as advertised then you definitely have grounds for a refund and if they are as advertised then, hey, you have an SD card!

Dr_Keenbean on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I would especially not trust a shitty little bag. As much as I hate the packaging, blister packed takes ever so slightly more money and effort, so less likely to be fake.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I would especially not trust a shitty little bag. As much as I hate the packaging, blister packed takes ever so slightly more money and effort, so less likely to be fake.

See, I kinda wish stuff like this came in packaging like that. That is so much less wasteful. I remember buying a micro SD card years and years ago online (way before there was this issue about counterfeits), and between the cards actual packaging and the frigging box it was shipped in, all for something no bigger than my friggin' fingernail, it was altogether ridiculous.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I remember at stores when SD cards first came out they were in blister packages the size of small posters so they couldn't be stolen as easily.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Even after spending most of my life playing tabletop games where lots of what you buy is packed in them, I’ll never not be grossed out by the name ‘blister pack’.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I got to see a friend, socially distanced and outside in her garden (despite the cold weather), for the first time in months today.

I also knew her kids - she has four - wouldn't be at school, because Easter holidays. The kids have assorted Switches between them (one full size, two Lites; the youngest doesn't have his own yet). So I took my Switch with me. This turned out to be a very good idea, as while my friend caught a much-needed breather, and with me able to stay outside, the kids and I played rounds of several of the games in 51 Worldwide Games (as it is titled over here), including the most hard-fought game of Ludo I've ever seen, and then a few races and battles in Mario Kart afterwards.

It made the kids' day, and my friend thanked me for it too later, saying it at least stopped them all fighting for a while!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So it looks like the Switch updated to firmware 12.0 but there didn't seem to be any major changes or additions made with it. Which is weird for major numerical updates.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    According to hackers there's some semi-significant networking changes, so that's probably part of what the major version number is about. Although I wouldn't expect anything obvious that you will notice.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I mean, they keep rolling through whole numbers and they haven't really added much of anything. I'm not surprised 12.0 doesn't have anything of note.

Oh fuck yes. Mario 35 who?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What? Namco didn’t even take the time to decide on the game’s scheduled death date to go with the launch trailer? Come on, you need to plan these things out.

But seriously, this looks neat. I like that the attack result isn’t just more ghosts, but rather a speed debuff.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Nintendo of America's site notes the 12.0.0 update fixes a rare glitch that can cause the automatic cloud save updating service to stop.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    4.5 star rating on Amazon means absolutely nothing nowadays.

Some of them are fun to read though

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    They even did the speed up from CEDX? That's pretty damn cool.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Ugh, don't get me wrong pac man 99 looks cool, but I am way better at Mario. I don't see myself ever winning this one. I am so bad at pac man.

Steam: offday
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So Pac-Man 99 is 100% up my alley! I'm only mildly a Tetris fan and didn't play much of Mario 35 due to the expiration date. I love Pac-Man though and this looks like it will be a blast!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    @ArcSyn @LD50 @urahonky @The Wolfman @SyphonBlue @Dr_Keenbean @UncleSporky

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice/help. I think we're going to test the card with the recommended stuff above and go from there.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aight I'm into Fire Emblem, chose the Blue Lions because Edelgard seems sus and I want to smooch Claude without the weird power dynamic of being his teacher.

Actually I want to smooch all of them.

Oh brilliant
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Nintendo announced that they're going to be at E3 this year.

In other news, apparently there's going to be an E3 this year?

It'll be interesting to see how many developers attend.

It's Virtual E3, just like every E3 for me.

Right, but last I heard they were still charging $Belgium for publishers to showcase.

Which made (business) sense* when that was the only way for publishers to get access to the retailers that would sell their stuff, but much less so now that video streaming is open to all and physical retailers are increasingly less important.

*I personally don't think that practice was awesome, if certain people are hot to misinterpret and post condescending snark again.

I've no idea, I was just saying that E3 exists virtually this year.

It's possible that the branding of E3 still carries enough weight to justify the spending.

The old ways take longer to disappear than we think, especially when the recipients are not caught up. My employer still uses a shit ton of paper in 2021.

How appropriate is it that I'm binging The Office at the moment, and am at the episodes where they are competing with the new fangled website?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

See, I kinda wish stuff like this came in packaging like that. That is so much less wasteful. I remember buying a micro SD card years and years ago online (way before there was this issue about counterfeits), and between the cards actual packaging and the frigging box it was shipped in, all for something no bigger than my friggin' fingernail, it was altogether ridiculous.

Yeah I'm not implying that blister packaging is better for the environment etc., just that it seems less likely to result in scams due to the effort required to make it. Unfortunately.

Every Sandisk I get is in that kind of packaging and I haven't had a problem yet. Conversely I've done some Amazon shopping in recent years and everything that comes in a plastic bag has been...acceptable, but clearly shitty. (Only acceptable because they're items that weren't expensive or electronic to begin with.)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Aight I'm into Fire Emblem, chose the Blue Lions because Edelgard seems sus and I want to smooch Claude without the weird power dynamic of being his teacher.

Even Hubert?

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Citizens Unite just got a patch, and now my save file appears to no longer crash the game. Neat.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Even Hubert?

Especially Hubert. That laugh.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Even Hubert?

Yes, but on the forehead

Oh brilliant
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    In my backlog quest I completed Jenny LeClue yesterday. It was a fun game with a pretty interesting story, fun characters, and some easy puzzles. It was basically a side scrolling walking simulator, but that isn't a bad thing. The story was very interesting all the way through and I really enjoyed the main characters, especially Jenny and her mother.

I hope they make another one as the game left on a cliffhanger.

Forgotten Anne is next!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

So Nintendo confirming they'll show a thing at or around the online E3 event; so a Nintendo direct again but slap an E3 label on it?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm just surprised that E3 still is.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm just surprised that E3 still is.

Sony's skipping it again, so who knows.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ooh, Pac-Man 99 store page says it as in-app purchases.

That could be dangerous.

Taramoor on