As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What Is The Best Tim Curry [Movie]?

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Devil in Legend
    Total tinfoil hat.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I honestly believe that MJ was so far up his own ass that he would legit quit to play Baseball. There is even a term for it: Acquired Situational Narcissism. Its when you are surrounded by people telling you that your shit don't stink for long enough that you end up believing it. Then many of them take a dump on the living room carpet and look in disbelief when people wrinkle their nose in disgust. Its a real big problem for Hollywood types, Politicians and big sports stars, And there was no bigger sports star in 90s than MJ.

Happened to lots of people. The number of sports stars thinking they could be rappers for example? Or rappers thinking they could act? Or all those politicians thinking that nobody would notice them frequenting strip clubs?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    HBO Max subscribers had the option to stream "Godzilla vs. Kong" in the comfort of their homes during Easter and Passover weekend, but plenty of moviegoers opted to see it in theaters. That's great news for the publicly traded owners of big multiplexes.

Warner Bros., the studio that released the film, said Sunday that "Godzilla vs. Kong" has raked in nearly $50 million at the US box office since its release last Wednesday, sending shares of AMC (AMC) — a stock that's incredibly popular with traders on Reddit — soaring more than 15%.

Some moviegoers are clearly craving the big-screen experience, and that will be a boost for the likes of AMC. The company which also benefited from an analyst upgrade Monday. Eric Wold of B. Riley Securities raised his rating to a "buy" and hiked his price target from $7 a share to $13 — about 20% above where the stock is now trading. AMC's monster move was echoed on a smaller scale by other related stocks: Cinemark (CNK), Marcus (MCS) and giant screen exhibitor IMAX (IMAX) also each rose between 3% and 6% while the UK-listed shares of Cineworld, the London-based owner of Regal Cinemas, were up 4%.

The strong debut for "Godzilla vs. Kong" is particularly notable that given that HBO Max customers could watch the movie for free as part of their monthly subscription.

Source

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    HBO Max subscribers had the option to stream "Godzilla vs. Kong" in the comfort of their homes during Easter and Passover weekend, but plenty of moviegoers opted to see it in theaters. That's great news for the publicly traded owners of big multiplexes.

Warner Bros., the studio that released the film, said Sunday that "Godzilla vs. Kong" has raked in nearly $50 million at the US box office since its release last Wednesday, sending shares of AMC (AMC) — a stock that's incredibly popular with traders on Reddit — soaring more than 15%.

Some moviegoers are clearly craving the big-screen experience, and that will be a boost for the likes of AMC. The company which also benefited from an analyst upgrade Monday. Eric Wold of B. Riley Securities raised his rating to a "buy" and hiked his price target from $7 a share to $13 — about 20% above where the stock is now trading. AMC's monster move was echoed on a smaller scale by other related stocks: Cinemark (CNK), Marcus (MCS) and giant screen exhibitor IMAX (IMAX) also each rose between 3% and 6% while the UK-listed shares of Cineworld, the London-based owner of Regal Cinemas, were up 4%.

The strong debut for "Godzilla vs. Kong" is particularly notable that given that HBO Max customers could watch the movie for free as part of their monthly subscription.

Source

And then the theaters are linked to rising cases of covid in areas and down they go.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    According to this, more households watched Godzilla vs Kong on HBO Max in its first 5 days than watched Wonder Woman 1984 in its first 7 days:

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Safe to say they'll probably make more

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The Devil in Legend
    It's currently in some murky water because Toho wants to make a bunch more Godzilla movies too.
    I'm guessing those talks are going to wrap up real quick now that GvsK is raking in the cash.

DanHibiki wrote: »
    It's currently in some murky water because Toho wants to make a bunch more Godzilla movies too.
    I'm guessing those talks are going to wrap up real quick now that GvsK is raking in the cash.

My understanding was that Toho and Legendary Pictures' deal was that they couldn't release a new Godzilla movie in the same year as each other (though apparently a Godzilla anime was okay, as the first ever Godzilla anime TV series just started in Japan a few weeks ago).

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    According to this, more households watched Godzilla vs Kong on HBO Max in its first 5 days than watched Wonder Woman 1984 in its first 7 days:

Not sure how they managed that when HBOMax is buffering every 10 seconds like it was 2005. I had to stop the pain and go watch one of the actually working other services.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    I didn't know this commercial existed until today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teep-y_wjXA

It's not as heart breaking as seeing geriatric Wayne's World shill for Ubereats, but it also feels like a zoomer saw a Family Guy skit about Gremlins and got to make a commercial about it. "As good as the original, maybe even better?" That doesn't work for soda or reboots/remakes, we're gonna have a fucking donnybrook here in a second, buddy!

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I didn't know this commercial existed until today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teep-y_wjXA

It's not as heart breaking as seeing geriatric Wayne's World shill for Ubereats, but it also feels like a zoomer saw a Family Guy skit about Gremlins and got to make a commercial about it. "As good as the original, maybe even better?" That doesn't work for soda or reboots/remakes, we're gonna have a fucking donnybrook here in a second, buddy!

Why is Wednesday Adams there?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Unhinged (Amazon Prime) might be one of the best unintentional comedies ever made, top tier get-together roasting material here. It tries so, so hard to be a thriller in the vein of Falling Down or even something like the lackluster Changing Lanes, but everything it does gets more unbelievable and everything that happens becomes more apparent the result of the protagonist than Cinderella Man.

Plot is simple in road rage going ten steps above, but right away it feels like the movie had to add scenes to make Crowe more despicable and the protagonist more sympathetic She's in the process of divorce, she's got money issues and a sibling who doesn't contribute, and one of the most whiny, unlikable sons who seems to have PTSD if they go on the freeway or has any social interactions (what is this, a school for ants? a joke from Clueless?). And after stirring the pot, you get this Russell Crowe going to 11 right away with scenes that you can never take seriously because they need to hide just how unlikable the protagonist is..

Apart from everyone being unlikable but the brother's girlfriend, the biggest flaw is that the movie takes place in Louisiana, in what is supposed to be NOLA and orleans parish. That is made clear as day and also why I laugh at the fear of getting on the highway. But apparently no one has a gun? In Louisiana? Biiiiitch please, the movie would have ended at the gas station. I get it, that totally kills the plot of your thriller movie, but don't film in Louisiana or make it so blatantly apparent it's the location. And it's not just that, so many other times people are acting out of character for what they actually would in the situation, it sure is convenient that no one says the truck Crowe drives is a F-250 because they couldn't get Ford's approval, and there's just so many moments of character stupidity even horror movies be thinking "dafuq?" Which is why the final confrontation feels so, so unearned and the Chekhov's gun is an eyeroll because they had to include a witty one liner. That doesn't work when you don't care for the leads in your movie.

A terrible movie, but one with better laughs than most modern comedies or recent Marvel movies. They even included a shitty sad girl emo cover of Don't Fear the Reaper. I'm getting road rage more from this piece of shit than actually driving!

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    the least believable part is pretending MJ lived in a normal house

This made me look into his parents, I had no idea his dad was murdered over a Lexus :bigfrown:

Eh, the open secret is he was probably murdered over Michael's gambling / debts. Michael had a big big gambling problem in his prime and its basically acknowledged him going to play baseball was an off the books suspension and discipline to distance the NBA from a giant scandal.

Which is topical, because MJs first retirement was a plot point in Space Jam.

Is this really legit or tinfoil hat conspiracy theory? It seems the latter based on The Last Dance.[/quote]

It's always struck me as more tinfoil hattery than legit. The baseball bit at least. It's the kind of thing that Bill Simmons speculates on without any real evidence[/quote]

The idea that one, the NBA would suspend their number one star earner at all (let alone in double secret probation) is crazy enough, but then that the suspension would do anything to stop the kind of people who would take bets worth enough money to squeeze Jordan at his prime? I don't think so.[/quote]

Well, MJ having bigtime gambling problems is quite well established by various teammates and reporters and other people in the know at the time. Michael Jordan is infamously careful about defending his public image so its not something that gets brought up much if you want Jordan to cooperate at all with your documentary, but that part definitely is kind of an open secret. The gambling debts tied to his dad thing, I've never heard of that at all.

Bill Simmons did reactions to the last dance on his podcast and he talks about the way the last dance whitewashes that stuff, if you're curious.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The Devil in Legend
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Unhinged (Amazon Prime) might be one of the best unintentional comedies ever made, top tier get-together roasting material here. It tries so, so hard to be a thriller in the vein of Falling Down or even something like the lackluster Changing Lanes, but everything it does gets more unbelievable and everything that happens becomes more apparent the result of the protagonist than Cinderella Man.

I don't know why you're comparing those movies with Unhinged, the trailers don't make it out to be high art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxDXoODKN8

Trashy, goofy drama where everything is exaggerated for effect because otherwise the movie ends with the lady giving an apology.

Plot is simple in road rage going ten steps above, but right away it feels like the movie had to add scenes to make Crowe more despicable and the protagonist more sympathetic She's in the process of divorce, she's got money issues and a sibling who doesn't contribute, and one of the most whiny, unlikable sons who seems to have PTSD if they go on the freeway or has any social interactions (what is this, a school for ants? a joke from Clueless?). And after stirring the pot, you get this Russell Crowe going to 11 right away with scenes that you can never take seriously because they need to hide just how unlikable the protagonist is..

Crowe's being the equivalent of movie slasher in a truck because he had one bad day, the movie was never going to take his side over the protagonist. From how you're deciding the protagonist she's a relatable mess whos's having her now struggles which is good writing. Horror movies fail when they don't have sympathetic protagonists. Did the movie explain why the son was afraid of freeways? That's fairly mundane for a phobia, and he's a kid. Did he get that from Crowe's actions? Because if a mass murdering psycho was chasing me on a freeway like that I'd avoid them, too. Kids having anxiety from social interactions isn't that weird. That's expected from this movie, since its trash to watch when nothing else is on. How is the protagonist unlikable?
    Apart from everyone being unlikable but the brother's girlfriend, the biggest flaw is that the movie takes place in Louisiana, in what is supposed to be NOLA and orleans parish. That is made clear as day and also why I laugh at the fear of getting on the highway. But apparently no one has a gun? In Louisiana? Biiiiitch please, the movie would have ended at the gas station. I get it, that totally kills the plot of your thriller movie, but don't film in Louisiana or make it so blatantly apparent it's the location. And it's not just that, so many other times people are acting out of character for what they actually would in the situation, it sure is convenient that no one says the truck Crowe drives is a F-250 because they couldn't get Ford's approval, and there's just so many moments of character stupidity even horror movies be thinking "dafuq?" Which is why the final confrontation feels so, so unearned and the Chekhov's gun is an eyeroll because they had to include a witty one liner. That doesn't work when you don't care for the leads in your movie.

Just because people have guns they don't immediately start shooting. In the real world the good man with a gun won't solve every problem, as well the fact people get shaken up from trauma seeing someone they know getting hurt, they hesitate, they might not have their gun on their person at the time or they might not own a gun because not everyone in the South owns a gun. Absolutely nobody is going to care for the lack of guns being in Louisiana, they know what to expect from movies like this and anyone who isn't the protagonist will be useless or another victim (that's why the cop is ran over by the truck instead of being a force to protect her from the lunatic), it's the protagonist who has to end the bad guy. Them's the rules.
    A terrible movie, but one with better laughs than most modern comedies or recent Marvel movies. They even included a shitty sad girl emo cover of Don't Fear the Reaper. I'm getting road rage more from this piece of shit than actually driving!

I will say I enjoyed how this paragraph was written, it's quite catchy.

So you're saying I might like this movie?

Harry Dresden on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    In 1991 during the death rattle of the Soviet Union, the Soviets decided to make their own TV movie version of The Lord of the Rings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56641258

It was quickly lost to history, until just recently when it was uploaded to YouTube.

Part 1
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vquKyNdgH3s

Part 2
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=oLevCLNnLmg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Long John Silver in Muppet's Treasure Island
    In my country, Palantír watches you!

Also your country, so don't use it, you fool of a Took

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Devil in Legend
    Our local theater did a better version, and I am pretty sure they just dressed Gandalf in the robe from the previous production of technicolour dream coat.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Nosf wrote: »
    Our local theater did a better version, and I am pretty sure they just dressed Gandalf in the robe from the previous production of technicolour dream coat.
    Huh. Wasn't Saruman the one that wore the "robe of many colors" in the books?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

I'm having a hard time not reading as Pacino in Scarface.

Which makes me smile due to certain popular quotes.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Everyone needs to check out the fight scene in Part 2 at 42:00-ish. It's trippy.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Now we just wait for the twitter thread that's a social experiment where some father gets his kids to believe that that's the big famous movie version of Lord of the Rings everyone talks about and what happens when they inevitably realize the lie years later.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Some of the auto-generated English subtitles are pretty amazing too.

EgIg9sv.jpg

ZFBc6cj.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Some of the auto-generated English subtitles are pretty amazing too.

EgIg9sv.jpg

ZFBc6cj.jpg

Is that from one of Bombadil's songs?

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The Devil in Legend
    I assume "The Land of the Hobbit Understanding and Strong Dumpy" is a place where people know how to make a comfy home and are dummy thicc.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Everyone needs to check out the fight scene in Part 2 at 42:00-ish. It's trippy.

It's like I'm playing The 7th Guest again. Take that, Peter Jackson.

wVEsyIc.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I assume "The Land of the Hobbit Understanding and Strong Dumpy" is a place where people know how to make a comfy home and are dummy thicc.

My halfling racial bonus to stealth is negated by the clap of my asscheeks

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Holy crap. The Matrix looks amazing in 4K.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Huge Weaving is so perfect in this.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I know I shouldn't be rooting for that bad guy, but he's the only one(s) that seems to enjoy what they're doing. The whole human race is so dour that I kinda just want the evil virus to win.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I remember being all "man I want more Mr Smith, that character is awesome" and boyyyyy howdy

I really appreciate a lot of things Hugo Weaving is in. He really goes all in when he's in something.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

I know I shouldn't be rooting for that bad guy, but he's the only one(s) that seems to enjoy what they're doing. The whole human race is so dour that I kinda just want the evil virus to win.

but humans are the evil virus to Hugo Weaving

I did laugh that Sam Neil in his isolation theater had Hugo Weaving be his "villain"

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I remember being all "man I want more Mr Smith, that character is awesome" and boyyyyy howdy

Mr Smith was awesome in the sequels though.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    shryke wrote: »

What sequels?

I said

What. Sequels.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

I really liked the concept and of course Hugo Weaving acts the hell out of the role, but a lot of the details end up being very silly on screen. So, mixed feelings.

Also Ian Bliss doing his best Mr Smith impression was delightful.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

but humans are the evil virus to Jamie Lee Curtis

Fixed. :D

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The Devil in Legend
    Also Ian Bliss doing his best Mr Smith impression was delightful.

Loved that performance.

I will say I thought Neo was doing a bit pretending not to know who "Bane" was, because it was blatantly obvious to anyone who knew Mr. Smith, except no Neo truly didn't recognise Mr Smith. Neo's not he smartest character in the movies but c'mon, he shouldn't be this stupid.

Harry Dresden on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Well, it's impossible. Like a cartoon coming to life and jumping off the page. Sure the mannerisms are... strangely familiar, but Smith is a program, in the Matrix. There's no way he could somehow get out into the real world. It's impossible.

("Not impossible. Inevitable.")

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.