As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    So many elements of America in those 2 paragraphs.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Cops love shooting dogs so much they even shoot their own

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I had always assumed the US government played a role in Malcolm X's death.

https://youtu.be/pibigIqFkj8

NYPD cop provides deathbed confession on his involvement in Malcolm’s assassination, directed by the FBI: https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/539872-malcolm-xs-family-says-newly-released-letter-proves-fbi

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I had always assumed the US government played a role in Malcolm X's death.

https://youtu.be/pibigIqFkj8

NYPD cop provides deathbed confession on his involvement in Malcolm’s assassination, directed by the FBI: https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/539872-malcolm-xs-family-says-newly-released-letter-proves-fbi

So a conspiracy of law enforcement officers vs a cabal of misogynoir cultists that exploits teenage girls and punishes black women for having bark and bite, and the wisdom and intelligence to use both.

End of the day, FBI isnt the one propogating an R.Kelly gospel and hiding behind Black America's need for community and strong patriarchs to replace those murdered by racism and systemic racism.

Put another way, I must deal with the parasites while dealing with the disease attracting them.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Dowtown minneapolis looks like a post-war zone, barricades and fencing up all over, cops crawling around, camera teams on every corner

and absolutely nothing happening. no protestors at all

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    They should get ready for a wave of liquid hellfire if they acquit Chauvin, though. Multiple waves, even.

Actually, better yet? Don't get ready for that shit. Let it wash over you.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I think by even the most charitable of interpretations, the Minneapolis Police Chief's testimony thoroughly rebuked the defense's primary argument. I think the only thing that can save Chauvin is a shithead juror like the one in Charlotte that simply could not abide holding police responsible for crimes.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Please remember the forums are publicly accessible AND please be aware there are members who law enforcement officers

The police chief is definitely labeling Chauvin as a loose cannon who didn't represent the police

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/05/us/derek-chauvin-trial-george-floyd-day-6/index.html

I'm curious as to what of his testimony is making you characterize it in that way. The defense is arguing that Chauvin's acts are part of police training and protocol and the department is directly rebuking that assertion.

There is no doubt video forced this more than anything, but until the defense calls any authoritative witness that agrees he was trained to do this, I don't see anything about the chief's testimony that is unreasonable.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited April 2021
    Statements like this

"Once Mr. Floyd had stopped resisting, and certainly once he was in distress and trying to verbalize that, that should have stopped," Arradondo testified during Chauvin's criminal trial"

"There is an initial reasonableness in trying to just get him under control in the first few seconds," Arradondo said. "But once there was no longer any resistance and clearly when Mr. Floyd was no longer responsive and even motionless, to continue to apply that level of force to a person proned out, handcuffed behind their back -- that in no way shape or form is anything that is by policy. It is not part of our training, and it is certainly not part of our ethics or our values."

DouglasDanger on
    The "ethics and values thing" is a little suspect but still don't see the "loose cannon" interpretation there. The department's culture begets excessive force but I am inclined to believe they didn't train him to do what he was doing as the defense argues.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The "ethics and values thing" is a little suspect but still don't see the "loose cannon" interpretation there. The department's culture begets excessive force but I am inclined to believe they didn't train him to do what he was doing as the defense argues.

Why?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What's the difference between a culture begetting excessive force and training him to use excessive force?

Straightzi wrote: »
    What's the difference between a culture begetting excessive force and training him to use excessive force?

Culpability.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I could easily see that argument being true in that maybe they don't teach it at academy, but that's okay, cause the training officer will teach it in the field where there's less oversight

Isn't that like the whole premise of what Chauvin was doing? He was instructing those other 3 officers how to commit an extrajudicial murder on an unarmed black man under the pretense of "they don't teach you this in the academy, but..."

Authority figures dictate what is acceptable

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I am only partially watching developments in the George Floyd/Derek Chauvin trial because frankly, got a lot of stress with local news as it is, but I've seen some of the witness interviews and am currently watching some of this part where the defense is cross-examines the pulmonologist

And I....did this guy just try to argue that physics is constantly changing, there is variance in gravity, so we can't calculate to the nanosecond the amount of force in units that was applied to George Floyd's neck

Fucking what

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    I can calculate it for him, then.

Enough to kill him. The number is fucking irrelevant.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm guessing when you're guilty you end up making a lot of shitty arguments as to how you are not guilty

Jars on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Generally speaking your defense is not allowed to argue that you're guilty as hell, so ya know that's what it looks like when they're arguing against pretty straight forward and publically available evidence of you being guilty as hell

initiatefailure on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cops are rioting in Minneapolis again tonight after killing a man earlier today during a traffic stop.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

Tweeter is an independent news media/current affairs organisation. Unicorn Riot have done extensive, relatively unbiased coverage highly recommend checking them out

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    i'm getting real sick of my fucking city

it's almost like there's something wrong with ALL the cops! :rotate:

Magic Pink on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So the new bar cops are willing to murder black people over is air fresheners in a car.

#DefundthePolice is back to national trending and I have a feeling we're gonna see an uptick in protests and riots. As we should.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Brooklyn Center is 10 miles upriver of Minneapolis proper, which is probably why the city's actually been relatively quiet for now

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Realizing that noise behind me was an organized protest around the corner prompted a unique emotion

Kim Potter, the pig who murdered Daunte, is president of the local police union and has been on the force for nearly 25 years.
    Potter has worked for the department for nearly 25 years and is president of the Brooklyn Center Police Officer's Association. In that role, she has represented other officers involved in deadly shootings.

Source: https://kstp.com/news/bca-identifies-officer-in-daunte-wright-shooting/6073236/

bit.ly/2XQM1ke

Training People to slip completely into muscle memory when engaging with the public seems like such a successful philosophy so far.

Chasing up some donation options, happily pretty much all the main one are saying “we got plenty try somebody else!” So that’s nice. Duante’s baby momma’s gofundme is at $242,000 of a $15,000 target. Minnesota Freedom Fund has enough and recommending donating elsewhere. Black visions and reclaim the block are redirecting donators too.

Unless something’s changed I believe it’s okay to shout out donation options maybe @DJ Eebs you can let us know about this one?

Bunch of solidarity actions across the country. I saw stuff in Portland, LA, Baltimore, New Jersey, and New York. I’m sure there’s plenty more

glpkhk0cy26n.jpeg

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Training People to slip completely into muscle memory when engaging with the public seems like such a successful philosophy so far.
    It does seem like the only tool US police really know how to use is the gun, doesn't it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

It does seem like the only tool US police really know how to use is the gun, doesn't it?

The condequences of using a taser instead of a gun are not as dire

Oh. What about volunteer cop who shot white dude when rest of cops understood "tazer out" and held their fire?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Copy pasting this from an old thread. I originally wrote this in July from last year and I think it's about to become relevant again, though I added a new note at the very bottom:

Some people are starting to wonder out loud with increasing frequency "what can I do to help?" Sometimes it's in the context of the protests that are ongoing, and sometimes it's in a general sense with the increasing leverage of fascism in the country (more than usual). I decided to compile some suggestions from a podcast (prior to the protests even) into text form, as well as add a few notes of my own. As far as I know, everything here is legal, and it certainly is non-violent and non-escalation in nature. There was on specific note from the podcast that risked both of those things despite being defensive in nature so I'm not including it.

All of these things help as law enforcement continues to attack the citizenry, now with federal support. The best 'weapon' we have right now is unity and support for our local communities and efforts. If I had to set a goal post for this, it's the days after the election when that mess is being sorted. There's 109 days until election day as of this post. Don't be scared, because you're not alone.

Direct Support
    - Transportation - If you have a fit enough vehicle, you can help people get around as needed. Not just to and from events, but to places with bathroom access, food, or clinics & hospitals as needed (unless an injury requires life-saving EMT action).
    - Medical Aid - The cops are absolutely going to hurt people, as well as outside agitators. If you have medical supplies and/or first-aid training, you are absolutely beneficial to protests.
    - Infiltrator Security - Police send plainclothes cops into protest groups. Keep an eye out for ear pieces, and people who are acting suspiciously apart from the protestors. Coordinate with protest leaders on how to handle these individuals (and never use force).
    - Escalation Security - Sometimes people who are just stupid show up to these events to escalate things and break the law. Depending on the circumstances, these people can be talked out of it or otherwise prevented with non-violent means. Never turn these people over to the police or inform the police of their presence; it will be used as justification against the crowd.
    - Child Care - People have families and they need to be watched over, be it because of protest support, working, or other emergencies. Coordinate with your local communities about how to best do this and always work with multiple people to ensure security.
    - Food and Water Distribution - People out there are going to get hungry and thirsty. Basic distribution effort helps a ton!
    - Bathroom Access - If you own property on or near a protest route and are comfortable security-wise, you can offer your home or business as a welcome place for people to use the bathroom. Coordinate to get supplies ahead of time.
    - Food Preparation - Are you a cook? There's plenty of snack food people can buy ready to eat and distribute, but with the right coordination people can get better meals for themselves during protests. Burgers, salads, sandwiches, whatever you can supply. Providing food for this effort also helps.
    - Police Watch - Cops deploy onto the streets before launching attacks. If you're on surrounding streets or near police departments, coordinate with protest leadership on giving them information when cops seem to be mobilizing for violent action. It might save lives.
    - Neighborhood Watch - There are awful people who will take advantage of neighborhood streets being empty. Coordinate with your local communities to setup neighborhood watches; no single one or two people on a street, in case there are infiltrators trying to use this as a means to make things worse.
    - Cheerleader / Antifa-Mom - Sometimes people just need moral support, which is why people are gathering in the first place. With consent, sometimes a hug can go a long way.
    - Pandemic Protection - If you have access to medical equipment pertaining to stopping the spread of COVID-19 please share it with protestors who might not have it.
    - Organization - Do you have a knack for organization work? Spreadsheets, phone research and information gathering, etc? You're a valuable asset to protest leadership, if not prepared to start protests in your local area. The needs depend on each locality, so there's plenty of variation here. Never collect private identifying info on people; it might get obtained by the police (especially through confiscated phones).

Remote Support
    - Counter-Propaganda - Just as the state and other power interests propagandize, you too can create counter propaganda. Do not make things up. Spread information, discredit efforts by fascists. If you see "antifa" accounts talking about "leadership" call it into question and let people know that such a thing does not exist.
    - Identity Protection - This is the big one. Do not share photos and videos of peoples' faces on social media. If you can, provide edited forms of photos and videos that will protect peoples' identities and get those distributed. It will keep the public informed, while at the same time protecting people from getting later targeted by the police or government.
    - Stop Internet Sleuthing - People are not as good at internet detective work as they think, and sometimes outside agitators are trying to get innocent people (if not political rivals) targeted wrongly. Discourage internet sleuthing as much as possible. The bottom line is that the people who need to be held accountable proudly show their names and faces on TV and social media. This isn't worth the risk.
    - Bail Funds - If you have the money to spare, people can use help getting out of jail. The unfortunate side-effect of this is that the state is getting money as a result, but that's a long-term goal to solve. For now people deserve to be out of jail, especially with the pandemic going on.
    - Voter Registration - This is an ideal goal and the window is closing depending on states, but people need help registering to vote or related documentation (for example, people in Nevada who want to vote by mail have to send a copy of their ID in). If you have office equipment access that can help, provide it.
    - Form Letters to Elected Officials - Are you a skilled writer who can resist the urge to cuss out authority? If so, congrats, you have more restraint than I do. More to the point, write a letter that people can copy and send in to local offices, including your congressional representatives and senators. Also keep the pressure on. Civility helps, even though it's not deserved.
    - Education - There's a lot people need to know that they might not. You can help protestors understand things they are fighting for, and probably more helpful you can help arm them with the information and arguments they need to fight against centrists or liberals who maybe might not get it yet. In addition, there are groups looking to seize this moment for their own gain or to possibly disrupt things, such as the "New Black Panthers." This group is not endorsed by original Black Panther members, and worse is divisive with anti-semitism and anti-LGBTQUIA goals. However, there are other groups like the New Afrikan Black Panther Party who are explicitly inclusive in their goals. More people should know about groups like that. Or maybe start them!
    - One on One Engagement - Do you know people who are insensitive or maybe on the cusp / at risk of joining supremacists and fascists? You can intervene in this. Not by calling them out - call them in. Have a one on one discussion with them, let them know their shitty joke wasn't funny. That sometimes a laugh is nervous in nature and not actually approval.
    - Lawyers - Are you a lawyer or do you know one? Is working pro bono an option? You could be a lot of help. Even working for cheaper than usual can go a long way. I get that's a lot to ask, but people are putting a lot more on the line on top of their financial security as well.
    - Inclusivity & Intersectionality - This is big. This isn't just about one group, it isn't a contest about who has it worse. It is about unity. We are all in this together. Do not let people convince you to put up walls between other marginalized groups or social movements. Don't let them convince you that it's "group A's turn not group B's." Outside agitators and the government have a vested interest in the divide & conquer strategy. They will do it on the ground, they will do it on the internet.

If anyone has anything to suggest I add to this please @ me with it (do not @ me for other acknowledgments, it'll make this easier, especially because I'm working on other things on the net at the moment).

New 2021 Note: What we learned from last year is that cops will smash up aid and food stations. This year we need people running lookout security for these places to inform people that cops are on their way. These stations need to be kept at a further distance from the main protest to provide a buffer (and deniability on the legal front in case cops try to say it's "terrorism aid" or whatever). Also, the stations need to be as best built to roll up into a truck or van as instantly as possible so people can calmly leave before the pigs arrive.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    ICE building got set on fire in Portland, Oregon.

You know what would prevent more of their buildings from being set on fire? If they didn't have any because they were abolished.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

America is a gun

Henroid, i added your effort post to the OP, it’s too good to leave behind.

Follow up to that, check out:
    https://live-like-the-world-is-dying.pinecast.co/
    https://itsgoingdown.org/
    https://crimethinc.com/

Lots of important info there on direct action, including mutual aid

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey, yeah, there's no real limit on fundraisers for these issues. Only real rule I'd like everyone to enforce is to make sure you do some research first to be sure the source is legit.

Other important things to remember: these forums are publicly indexed, so please be mindful as to what you post for your own safety and so we don't receive messages from government agencies. Keep in mind what you're posting and what you're showing, and if it is upsetting, please use spoiler tags and content warnings.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    For love of god, don't post photos of protests or riots with other peoole in them anywhere.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    it's probably best practice to not even make those photos.

who knows where your phone might end up

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.