As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Woop pipe

ckzf4dzf26ws.jpeg

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I really don't know the details at all. I interviewed with the lead designer and the Creative Director

the CD told me he was hoping to expand the department but didn't have the money for it right now, so I'm not sure if the person they chose over me declined their offer, or maybe the lead designer resigned? Or maybe he got his funding for a new position?

I honestly don't know.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We are all h holding breath for you, mate

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    FUCK.

Both jobs gave me the thumbs down within like 15 minutes of each other.

HA HA NEVERMIND

The Creative Director at the one I really wanted just emailed me saying a new position had just opened up and he wants me for it.

He's gonna send me an offer tomorrow.

I AM TOO OLD FOR THIS ROLLERCOASTER BULLSHIT

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    We are all h holding breath for you, mate

#pipe please I've been holding my breath for 40 minutes and I don't think I'll last much longer I may die.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    God I asked about a performance review you know in advance of hey it's been two years and I'm great, gimme a raise? Welp, turns out there's a possibility a process will come to exist at some point that might point us toward...

I'm so tired of only getting raises when I change jobs. I like my work! I'd like to stay!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    God I asked about a performance review you know in advance of hey it's been two years and I'm great, gimme a raise? Welp, turns out there's a possibility a process will come to exist at some point that might point us toward...

I'm so tired of only getting raises when I change jobs. I like my work! I'd like to stay!

My first year in I got an 8% bump and I was thinking to myself "shit, I wonder if they know how much good will they just bought...those crafty fucks."

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

My first year in I got an 8% bump and I was thinking to myself "shit, I wonder if they know how much good will they just bought...those crafty fucks."

I got a 20% at the end of my first year. It's been 3 years since then though, and our benefits are abysmal. The good will they bought is starting to run out. We also had one of our best years even through the pandemic. It might be time to broach the topic.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    While it's not as great as it could be, I'm glad we have a full automated formula based on performance and available money that says "you need to give raises of between x and y" at my company. Only once in 7 years of management have I given someone zero, and that's because they had been there forever and we had basically no available money.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I really don't know the details at all. I interviewed with the lead designer and the Creative Director

the CD told me he was hoping to expand the department but didn't have the money for it right now, so I'm not sure if the person they chose over me declined their offer, or maybe the lead designer resigned? Or maybe he got his funding for a new position?

I honestly don't know.

Maybe they liked you enough to argue for that position to exist?? They might have had a guy whose specifics fit the original role better and had other projects that suit your skills well enough they wanted to catch you before you got away??

Regardless, extremely stoked for you, hope it rules

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I got a 20% at the end of my first year. It's been 3 years since then though, and our benefits are abysmal. The good will they bought is starting to run out. We also had one of our best years even through the pandemic. It might be time to broach the topic.

I am at 28 months since I was told I was in line for two raises to push my salary up to a large number. My boss also told me (the day I found out I failed the job interview, coincidentally) that the raise was on the way, although he thought they gave me one last year (haha spoilers no they did not). If my confidence wasn't so thoroughly crushed from flubbing the interview, I'd be pushing harder to leave right now. Not enough spoons right now between work, the gym, back issues, and then balancing the rest of my life atm.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I do not like discovering that a subordinate was never trained on an extremely critical documentation procedure.

I am really thankful no clients found out first

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I am at 28 months since I was told I was in line for two raises to push my salary up to a large number. My boss also told me (the day I found out I failed the job interview, coincidentally) that the raise was on the way, although he thought they gave me one last year (haha spoilers no they did not). If my confidence wasn't so thoroughly crushed from flubbing the interview, I'd be pushing harder to leave right now. Not enough spoons right now between work, the gym, back issues, and then balancing the rest of my life atm.

Eh, some interviews you flub, some are just a bad fit between org and person. I can say that at least 50% of interviews that have gone badly for me are because the group wouldn't have been a good fit for how I philosophically approach work, so I don't take it as a negative. That sucks that they aren't following through on their promises.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    FUCK.

Both jobs gave me the thumbs down within like 15 minutes of each other.

HA HA NEVERMIND

The Creative Director at the one I really wanted just emailed me saying a new position had just opened up and he wants me for it.

He's gonna send me an offer tomorrow.

I AM TOO OLD FOR THIS ROLLERCOASTER BULLSHIT

Quick! Buy a lottery ticket!

Investigating breaches and complaints all day does mean that one sees everything through the lens of error. I try not to become jaded but in a case where the only two plausible root causes are:

* Stupid misogyny
    * Malicious misogyny

It's hard to remain positive.

Protip when interrogating a woman on a recorded call because obviously she won't know her own name as well as you, maybe let her actually spell it out instead of interrupting every third word she speaks.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today I have the Lloyd Bridges scenes in Airplane in my mind and am thinking about how accurate they are to me right now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Super first world problem.

My work laptop is a business class Lenovo Think Pad, and the top of it has like, finger prints all over it. I've tried cleaning them off with water but that did nothing. Is this like...a common thing?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You can't clean oil with water, Skragg. Use alcohol.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Yeah some plastics be like that.

Try rubbing alcohol, that'll cut right through the foul human grease.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You should always clean electronics with 95+% isopropyl anyway because it's non-conductive if it does spill or drip into unintended places (also it's generally a better solvent for greasy or sticky things than water).

3clips3 wrote: »
    You should always clean electronics with 95+% isopropyl anyway because it's non-conductive if it does spill or drip into unintended places (also it's generally a better solvent for greasy or sticky things than water).

Oh so I shouldn't use this 92% H2O2? Oops.

where did you even

get that

I invoke the fifth.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    More like the 5th planet as you will end up on fucking Jupiter with that stuff.

(Very high purity H2O2 is used in amateur rocketry as a propellant!)

EDIT I failed at naming planets!!!

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    More like the 5th planet as you will end up on fucking Saturn with that stuff.

It's a very effective oxidizer. If you're not careful, it will happily oxidize you.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Strong oxidizers tend to not discriminate about whose electrons they are ripping away. Very equal-oxidizing-opportunity, they are.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If there is any soft touch plastic on the laptop test cleaning with alcohol in an area you don't touch or see. It's possible that the alcohol will strip off not only the human filth but also the soft touch coating. If so, then look into a diluted all purpose cleaner something meant for car interiors would be a good place to start. You could also try a damp washcloth or rag with dish soap.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    We have a machine at work that uses high purity H2O2 and it is treated with EXTREME CAUTION

Tynnan wrote: »
    Strong oxidizers tend to not discriminate about whose electrons they are ripping away. Very equal-oxidizing-opportunity, they are.

It's all just me trying to adhere to my New Year's resolution to be more positive.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    You can't clean oil with water, Skragg. Use alcohol.

♪ You can't clean oil with water, you can't clean oil with water ♪

I didn't mean to take sides, I just got caught up in the rhythm.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Actually. Some oil refining adds water to oil purely to remove the salt content from it.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    If there is any soft touch plastic on the laptop test cleaning with alcohol in an area you don't touch or see. It's possible that the alcohol will strip off not only the human filth but also the soft touch coating. If so, then look into a diluted all purpose cleaner something meant for car interiors would be a good place to start. You could also try a damp washcloth or rag with dish soap.

Yeah. 97% alcohol is great for electronics and also great for ruining plastics and other surfaces.

Test before you go all in, because I have ruined plastics before with alcohol.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    In further soul crushing but I'm happy for them news. One of my friends just got a job offer from facebook and...well...again I'm happy for them and they definitely are a good person worth the work and effort they put into their career and family. Hearing what they're getting for a signing bonus that's equivalent to 6 months of my regular salary is just...fucking...fuck. I'm going to be working until I die at this rate and I don't know how to process that right now.

I know I shouldn't let myself dwell on it, but good lord the universe really likes to trigger the debbie downer within me at the worst possible times. So I just got done dealing with a really stressful customer case that's been eating me up for the past 3 days. I'm already in a crummy mood as a result and my same friend just gave me the heads up his facebook offer now has been upgraded and his new signing bonus is worth 14 months of my regular Salary and I am just a few minutes away from raiding my liquor cabinet in the middle of the workday. Again, I am legit happy for him and he definitely deserves the money but fuck's sake it just strips out any motivation I have any more for anything.

Thegreatcow on
    More like the 5th planet as you will end up on fucking Saturn with that stuff.

It's a very effective oxidizer. If you're not careful, it will happily oxidize you.

This seems like an excellent opportunity to remind everyone how good the Things I Will Not Work With blog is!

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with

In further soul crushing but I'm happy for them news. One of my friends just got a job offer from facebook and...well...again I'm happy for them and they definitely are a good person worth the work and effort they put into their career and family. Hearing what they're getting for a signing bonus that's equivalent to 6 months of my regular salary is just...fucking...fuck. I'm going to be working until I die at this rate and I don't know how to process that right now.

I know I shouldn't let myself dwell on it, but good lord the universe really likes to trigger the debbie downer within me at the worst possible times. So I just got done dealing with a really stressful customer case that's been eating me up for the past 3 days. I'm already in a crummy mood as a result and my same friend just gave me the heads up his facebook offer now has been upgraded and his new signing bonus is worth 14 months of my regular Salary and I am just a few minutes away from raiding my liquor cabinet in the middle of the workday. Again, I am legit happy for him and he definitely deserves the money but fuck's sake it just strips out any motivation I have any more for anything.

Counterpoint is that he's working for an Illithid.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Counterpoint is that he's working for an Illithid.

And they work you to death, though slightly less than amazon does.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Today I hopped on a meeting early enough that it didn't auto mute me due to the number of attendees. One of the other people on was very excited to hear "an actual baby baby" so I obligingly picked up my cat and held her in front of the camera.
    Further anecdata towards the idea that domestic cats trained themselves to meow like a human baby crying for attention.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My 10 year anniversary here is coming up, so I get to choose a gift from the catalog. Lots of jewelry and wallets and golf bagsetc which I don't care about. I'm leaning towards the Roku Streaming Stick+ or maybe one of the Bluetooth speaker sound systems.

steam_sig.png
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Today I hopped on a meeting early enough that it didn't auto mute me due to the number of attendees. One of the other people on was very excited to hear "an actual baby baby" so I obligingly picked up my cat and held her in front of the camera.
    Further anecdata towards the idea that domestic cats trained themselves to meow like a human baby crying for attention.

My wife has been directing a high school play via Zoom and every rehearsal must have a Displaying Of The Cats before the kids will settle.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Last week I was the lead designer on the highest priority IT project the ministry was working on.

However, we also go through a re-prioritisation exercise every 3 months, to make sure we're not wasting effort on things that are no longer as important as they were.

The owner of the project had pulled shenanigans to get ranked highest 3 months ago. Burned some bridges, was told not to do it again.

Tried anyway.

And now he's so offended the powers-that-be by his naked attempt to rort the prioritisation system that the project got dropped from my to-do list and re-prioritised somewhere in the "if you have spare time" zone.

And it's not like I can't see the logic. They rorted the system to get resource (me); they failed to meet their timelines and increased the scope then blamed our team for late delivery and estimate overruns, they refused incremental delivery to get critical features early so they could keep the project priority based on the must-have deliverables rather than getting evaluated on the nice-to-haves... basically just every bad behaviour you can do to sour working inter-team relationships.

So now, instead of even getting a little effort from me to keep the lights on and whatever free time I can spare to get it over the line (it's about 80% complete with about another 3-6 weeks work left), I've basically been told to redirect inquiries elsewhere.

I'd be more bitter if they hadn't basically ignored me every time I told them there would be delivery impacts every time they tried fucking about. Now there's multiple projects that have heard I'm available and are pitching me work.

Play stupid games,

*You_get_nothing.gif*

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.