As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    As long as you can still goomba stomp Armatures in the Mako then it's all good.

I wonder if the old "get a thresher maw to a sliver of hp, get out and shoot it with a gun for phat XP" thing works

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I hope not. That was so dumb, even if I abused the shit out of it back in the day.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I also did not remember the disc grenades. Plus, hearing the Mako never had a booster...I actually didn't believe them at first.

Also, as far as fixing bugs, I hope they remember that this is a feature, not a bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CerK1c_IWJ4

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I hope not. That was so dumb, even if I abused the shit out of it back in the day.

"The XP penalty while in the Mako has been removed"

So I guess you can still do it, but no point :rotate:

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    All the changes sound great. I was already overly excited for this. Now that I see the level of effort going in to it, and the visual updates to ME1, I'm salivating.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

They better not touch my nuclear cannon pistol is all I'm saying.

• Options

They better not touch my nuclear cannon pistol is all I'm saying.

I feel like that's a core part of the ME1 gameplay loop, along with the rocket launcher sniper rifle.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    And your teammates shooting you in the back with said rocket launcher sniper rifle.

• Options
    If you shoot a teammate, and they don't die, is it really a crime?

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I hope they hit the right balance of "Feels better to use" and "is still stupid and doing kickflips off mountains" the Mako deserves. I don't think they will because that's impossible. But still.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

Nevermind shooting up the Presidium because you're bored

it sounds so sociopathic when I put it that way

• Options
    Mass Effect fields!

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I hope they hit the right balance of "Feels better to use" and "is still stupid and doing kickflips off mountains" the Mako deserves. I don't think they will because that's impossible. But still.

I'm looking forward to jumping and boosting, at the same time, off a mountainside. I can think of some planets with potentially great air time.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I'm looking forward to jumping and boosting, at the same time, off a mountainside. I can think of some planets with potentially great air time.

/plasters my various social media feeds with screenshots tagged #SickAirBruh

/does a kickflip in the Mako

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Nevermind shooting up the Presidium because you're bored

it sounds so sociopathic when I put it that way
    Rogue Spectres Shepard is the reason you can't draw a weapon on the Citadel in ME2 and 3.

sig.gif
  • Options
    In light of the new character creator changes, let us take a moment to reflect on horrors past.

https://youtu.be/bn4x_BRqIpI

I don't think I've ever been able to watch this whole video without needing to take a break from laughing so hard.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    In light of the new character creator changes, let us take a moment to reflect on horrors past.

I don't think I've ever been able to watch this whole video without needing to take a break from laughing so hard.

i can hear the thumbnail

JACOB, HURGLEBBBUBUBGJNNSLLSVAC JAAACOOOB

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Oh god I'm in tears. The last half of that video goes some places.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I keep insisting to myself that I just don't find Monster Factory funny, and I keep being wrong.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I'd forgotten that in this video they mention Truck Shepard cosplay. I was curious if anyone in fact had made the attempt and this is what I found:

rn0fiaadx2rx.jpg
    9f4ogmsgjfsj.jpg
    oduqnpv1dy4n.jpg
    ex2lcixezl95.jpg

(I know only two of them are cosplay, but I like the art I found, too)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Right now the N7 Elite Costume Group that I am a member of is posting photo collages with three images - the person dressed in cosplay, the character the cosplay is of, and the person doing the cosplay wearing normal clothes. This is one of the funner ones as an example:

ntiga3qbq3vl.jpg

(it's the only non-human example I saw, but I thought the costuming was on-point)

Anyway, this trend is how I found out holy hell Mark Meer is a member of this Facebook group! He posted this one:

bow8knsk4pn8.jpg

BREAK FANS!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I love just how into it all Mark Meer is, he's as great an ambassador as Mass Effect could hope for and he seems like a really nice dude.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I wanted to like this but it's far too aggressively annoying and stupid. I powered through the dumb kiss joke that went on way too long but had to turn it off at the "oh no! uh-oh!" that went on repeat for 7 hours. You don't have to run every single joke directly into the ground by repeating it 57 billion times in quick succession.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Welcome to the Mcelroys, they are an acquired taste.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

I wanted to like this but it's far too aggressively annoying and stupid. I powered through the dumb kiss joke that went on way too long but had to turn it off at the "oh no! uh-oh!" that went on repeat for 7 hours. You don't have to run every single joke directly into the ground by repeating it 57 billion times in quick succession.
    I skimmed through it, but it's not my type of humor.

This is an instance where the thumbnail encapsulates the joke, making the actual video redundant.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Aistan wrote: »
    Welcome to the Mcelroys, they are an acquired taste.

I wouldn't call them an acquired taste, I liked them immediately the first time I heard them - which was coincidentally a Monster Factory episode, the Just Like Bart one. But it is a taste and not everyone has the same tastes which is perfectly fine.

I wish I'd known about the Space-Faring Kiss Boy patch when it was still available, I would love to own it.

Edit: I do feel like the Mass Effect Monster Factory isn't quite representative of their work in this area, though.The point of monster factory is to create a whack-looking "child" using a robust character creation system and then come to love that child. Since Bioware has never had a robust character creation system, the only method they can use is breaking the game, which makes it seem like Monster factory is about breaking the game, which other people have perhaps done better (Breaking Madden, for example).

Better representatives of their style are Daz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOVS0XQmPM

Or the ever-powerful Final Pam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jGnFt78H8

Cambiata on
  • Options
    When they lose it, they lose it. But generally speaking they're pretty chill and know how to provoke each other like all good brothers do.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Mark Meer is a classy dude who makes me want to play manshep but the good smooch options just aren't there.

Sigh. BioWare problems.

• Options
    If kissing Jack in front of an exploding Atlas is wrong, I don't want to be right.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Generic man shep all the way, I just love his goofy face

Looking forward to playing this again, I only ever played them at the time they came out, so it’ll be interesting to see how much I remember. I hope there’s basically all the same cheeves, I’m a big cheeves guy so I hope they have like 3500+ gamescore attached to this

Prohass on
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I hope there’s basically all the same cheeves

They've already said this won't be the case:
    Achievements across the trilogy have been updated
    • New achievements have been added to the trilogy
    • Progress for some achievements now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
    • Achievements that were streamlined into one and made redundant were removed
    • A number of achievements have had their objectives/descriptions and/or names updated

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    I hope there’s basically all the same cheeves

They've already said this won't be the case:
    Achievements across the trilogy have been updated
    • New achievements have been added to the trilogy
    • Progress for some achievements now carries over across all three games (e.g. Kill 250 enemies across all games)
    • Achievements that were streamlined into one and made redundant were removed
    • A number of achievements have had their objectives/descriptions and/or names updated

On the other hand, at least they're all in addition to the cheevos you got in the original versions the first time round.

It'll be interesting to see if they cap at 1,000 points total or go higher.

I'm not a cheevo hunter, never was, and ME2 remains one of just two games I've ever got 100% of them in. (Or I guess platinum'd is the term in PS parlance.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    NEW CHEEVOS?

PRE-ORDER CONFIRMED.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Strikor wrote: »
    Mark Meer is a classy dude who makes me want to play manshep but the good smooch options just aren't there.

Sigh. BioWare problems.

I might try and recreate Mark Meer's face in the character creator for a BroShep run or two. It would only be appropriate (especially considering his own Shepard cosplay).

Jazz on
  • Options

Sigh. BioWare problems.

JUST RESTORE THE CUT QUEER CONTENT BIOWARE YOU COWARDS

• Options

Sigh. BioWare problems.

JUST RESTORE THE CUT QUEER CONTENT BIOWARE YOU COWARDS
    Also remove the gender check for FemShep/Ashley in ME3.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    We all want more decent options but the reality is that that falls far beyond simple remastering and model-texture updates, and working actual content back into the game engine akin to developing an actual expansion to the trilogy (incl. creating new content for the sequels to make the "restored" content actually meaningful) honestly sounds like a shitshow

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    We all want more decent options but the reality is that that falls far beyond simple remastering and model-texture updates, and working actual content back into the game engine akin to developing an actual expansion to the trilogy (incl. creating new content for the sequels to make the "restored" content actually meaningful) honestly sounds like a shitshow

The weakness of this approach is that people are going to play ME1 and remember that... it kinda sucks in a lot of ways. Better textures won't make the inventory or worse combat any better.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

The weakness of this approach is that people are going to play ME1 and remember that... it kinda sucks in a lot of ways. Better textures won't make the inventory or worse combat any better.

They're doing more than just "better textures" though...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

They're doing more than just "better textures" though...

they literally are fixing both the combat and inventory. not overhauling but they are marked improvements on the existing systems.

that's way more than an uprez.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
This discussion has been closed.