As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The US Congress

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Pretty sure there were rumors about this earlier this year...

"NEW: In the final weeks of the Trump administration, Matt Gaetz, who is under federal investigation for sex trafficking a minor, sought blanket pardons from the Trump White House for himself and congressional allies. w/@maggieNYT @npfandos"
    - Michael S. Schmidt is a reporter for the NYT.

The big question is, did he want the blanket pardon so that it wasn't openly identified that he was a child abuser/molestor/trafficker? Or did he want a blanket pardon because there's a whole swathe of heinous shit that hasn't yet been identified?

EDIT: Despite my loathing for the man, Trump's ability to allow his closest allies and supporters to be left holding the bag (the leopard won't eat MY face!) is the one thing he does that actually makes me smile occasionally. Twist in the wind, you human frat paddle.

MorganV on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So I’m not sure that “request” wasn’t just a joke followed up by a series of joke tweets at Trump that the NYT and/or their precious Trump admin leakers are representing as something more salacious for clicks given the current interest in Gaetz

Captain Inertia on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So I’m not sure that “request” wasn’t just a joke followed up by a series of joke tweets at Trump that the NYT and/or their precious Trump admin leakers are representing as something more salacious for clicks given the current interest in Gaetz

"I'm totally joking, man" from a conservative means they're totally not joking.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

"I'm totally joking, man" from a conservative means they're totally not joking.

"A lot of truth is said in jest"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2021
    He suggested Trump blanket pardon every meme to trigger the libs

Asking for a pardon is something Gaetz definitely would do, I’m just suspicious that this is just more Haberman bullshit

Captain Inertia on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Haberman was peak access journalism, but she was generally able to identify an actual story to report on.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"NEW: In the final weeks of the Trump administration, Matt Gaetz, who is under federal investigation for sex trafficking a minor, sought blanket pardons from the Trump White House for himself and congressional allies. w/@maggieNYT @npfandos"

The big question is, did he want the blanket pardon so that it wasn't openly identified that he was a child abuser/molestor/trafficker? Or did he want a blanket pardon because there's a whole swathe of heinous shit that hasn't yet been identified?

EDIT: Despite my loathing for the man, Trump's ability to allow his closest allies and supporters to be left holding the bag (the leopard won't eat MY face!) is the one thing he does that actually makes me smile occasionally. Twist in the wind, you human frat paddle.
    Which congressional allies?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Representative Alcee Hastings has passed away:
    Democratic Rep. Alcee Hastings, a civil rights activist and the longest-serving member of Florida's congressional delegation, has died, his chief of staff Lale M. Morrison told CNN on Tuesday. He was 84.

In January 2019, he announced that he was being treated for pancreatic cancer and planned to remain in Congress during the treatment, calling it "a battle worth fighting." His death was first reported Tuesday by the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Hastings first began serving in the US House of Representatives in 1993 and has been a member of the House Rules Committee and the Congressional Black Caucus.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited April 2021
    zepherin wrote: »

The tweet convo he had with Trump included all republicans as well as Joe Exotic

Haberman’s sources report a concurrent private convo

Captain Inertia on
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

The tweet convo he had with Trump included all republicans as well as Joe Exotic

Haberman’s sources report a concurrent private convo

I suppose it would make sense to push it as a real pardon that would appear 'for the lulz'

edited April 2021
    Could be, I read this article last night while looking into the coup thread thing where the NYT got us all mad about the wrong thing and I’m just super suspicious of them right now, and that was before I saw that this Gaetz story is mostly attributed to “Trump White House aides” and is a Haberman joint

Captain Inertia on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So it amounts to a Jared and Ivanka press release

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Democratic Rep. Alcee Hastings, a civil rights activist and the longest-serving member of Florida's congressional delegation, has died, his chief of staff Lale M. Morrison told CNN on Tuesday. He was 84.

In January 2019, he announced that he was being treated for pancreatic cancer and planned to remain in Congress during the treatment, calling it "a battle worth fighting." His death was first reported Tuesday by the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Hastings first began serving in the US House of Representatives in 1993 and has been a member of the House Rules Committee and the Congressional Black Caucus.
    Oh shit, RIP to another civil rights activist. There's a hell of a generation starting to leave us the last couple of years.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Oh shit, RIP to another civil rights activist. There's a hell of a generation starting to leave us the last couple of years.

Fortunately the recent troubles are making plenty of new civil rights activists.

Not really "fortunately".

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2021
    He suggested Trump blanket pardon every meme to trigger the libs

Asking for a pardon is something Gaetz definitely would do, I’m just suspicious that this is just more Haberman bullshit

It sounds unlikely that 4 different people misconstrued a joke as a request for real pardons, and all talked to reporters about it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/politics/senate-parliamentarian-biden-agenda/index.html

Final ruling still pending but parliamentarian ruling could allow 2 per year. Not the 3 total reported early but rather at least 2 per year as long as the current situation exists.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I think the 3 number comes from the first one used this year was from the last years unused reconcillation. So that one plus one and an amended one this year.

edited April 2021
    Agreed 2 this year was what I had read before and the 3rd for next year but i am not sure i had read the possibility of 9 total for bidens term if the senate remains 50-50 to under super majority.

Jubal77 on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The American Rescue Plan used Reconciliation for FY 2021 which left the Reconciliation Bill for FY 2022 available to be passed this year (Federal fiscal year begins October 1st) in order to do all the other budget stuff. The Parliamentarian's ruling about Section 304 of the Budget Act means that the currently available Budget Reconciliation Bill for FY 2022 can be addressed in at least two separate Bills, and that's the case for all future Reconciliation Bills going forward. Meaning Democrats get 3 Bills this Calendar Year (2 still available for Fiscal 2022) and 2 Bills next Calendar Year for Fiscal 2023. After that it's Midterm Election time and a new Congress with a new composition and who knows what.

Possibly more than 2, though. The ruling and the statute makes it sound like you can basically revise the Reconciliation Bill as much as you want provided the House agrees to your concurrent Resolution. Which is pretty significant, since it means you can break budget bills down into more digestible chunks. Especially since the media will cover it with whatever that particular headline number entails rather than the sum total of all expenditures for the year. Which seems to be what gives certain Senators heartburn. Eight separate $750bn Bills on Infrastructure and Childcare and Ag and Housing and Education and the Environment and whatever are easier to pass than one $6trn Bill, even though it's the same amount. Because politics is stupid.

moniker on
    edited April 2021
    Yes that is what I was reading elsewhere and here. Initially I read that was 3 this congress because of the existing rules and that they used the prior unused year but it may be 5 now or perhaps more pending final ruling.

Jubal77 on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Even though reconciliation isn't ideal for running the government because there are things that it just can't do (minimum wage - as an aside I hope democrats the tax rate and drop something truly obnoxious and vicious for exploitative businesses to have to deal with. Voting rights being another big one). There are a number of vital things it can do and it does take plenty of wind out of the GOP's plans of stonewalling everything and then running on how the democrats didn't get anything done. In fact, maybe it'll finally get the holdouts on the filibuster to finally fucking weaken the thing or kill it because we'll get more cases where they'll be forced to acknowledge that the GOP isn't going to act in good faith. Regardless of how many additional reconciliation bills we get, I guarantee that the republicans will likely vote against all of them regardless of what they do and then decry them as partisan, even if there is a shit ton of things their voters want and benefit from.

Well they will 'vote against them and cry partisan" but they will also continue to try to take credit for provisions while voting against them.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    it does take plenty of wind out of the GOP's plans of stonewalling everything and then running on how the democrats didn't get anything done.

I think this is especially worthwhile when it comes to stuff like the infrastructure bill. It's really clear GOP reps are afraid of how popular that bill alone is going to be.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Given how ethically bankrupt republicans are. My hope is when they claim credit for a provision after voting against something. They end up picking something that only got in there because Sinema and/or Manchin got it in there, after making concessions and it was something the GOP railed against specifically. Just to hopefully really to piss off whichever one got that provision in and really drive home why they should just nuke the filibuster and let the rat fucking party twist in the wind.
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    it does take plenty of wind out of the GOP's plans of stonewalling everything and then running on how the democrats didn't get anything done.

I think this is especially worthwhile when it comes to stuff like the infrastructure bill. It's really clear GOP reps are afraid of how popular that bill alone is going to be.

Yeah, it's pretty big when I think about it because that covers most of the issues that fence sitting voters and uninformed voters care about. Essentially, the small chunk of voters that can swing either way and the large chunk of voters that would stay home if they weren't happy with things. Most of what doesn't get covered is stuff, where I'd hope activists know well enough that if the filibuster gets it killed, the worst thing you can do is sit out the election and stop caring who wins. When what you need to do is figure out which republicans can you get kicked to the curb and when democrats you need to get cover to so that they aren't replaced by a republican.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Gaetz is fundraising off the sex trafficking investigation because of course he is. He's not going to resign. Also,

1) The cruelty is the point.
    2) It's always projection.
    3) There's always a grift.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I think it was last night on All Things Considered talking about the bill they said something along the lines of "Biden is reinterpreting bipartisan, from convincing 50 Republican senators to convincing the majority of the country. "

steam_sig.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Joe Manchin: I will not vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster

So wow man sure was nice thinking things may change, gonna be cool getting the shit kicked out of us for the next six years to appease this single motherfucker's ego

uH3IcEi.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I am just so tired of old white men

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

So wow man sure was nice thinking things may change, gonna be cool getting the shit kicked out of us for the next six years to appease this single motherfucker's ego

Pump the brakes. I don't even know where six years comes from, getting past two is going to be hard enough.

We've gotten more passed through Congress in the past month than we managed in the decade before that. We have two more reconciliation bills (including the v2 the Parliamentarian approved that absolutely is an end run around the filibuster) that Manchin will vote for.

Let's at least wait until he disappoints us to get disappointed. The whole Eeyore 'oh no Manchin is gonna let us down' is getting very old.

Either way, until we find a new 50th vote it doesn't matter because no matter how much he sucks we are stuck with him.

edited April 2021
    It’s so infuriating to play this game, because if he was doing it out of some plan to get leverage for his state it would make more sense to leave things open. Because that would make his vote the deciding vote on legislation. But the entire US system is so broken centrists and the right actively seek to not pass legislation, even if it would be a win for their state, they obsess with the badge of honour that is “not getting anything done”, so we don’t start from a position of “what can we get done”, but instead have to start from a position of “I refuse to do anything, in fact the only thing I will do is things to make sure nothing gets done”

I don’t even care if it’s all theatre and negotiations it’s just absolutely childish and infuriating on every level. Meaningless pissing about haggling over a few million here and there when everywhere the country is in a fucking shambles. I’m just exhausted by it

Prohass on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I think it was last night on All Things Considered talking about the bill they said something along the lines of "Biden is reinterpreting bipartisan, from convincing 50 Republican senators to convincing the majority of the country. "

Yeah, that's a great way to put it. I mean...look at this blistering attack on the bill by Roy Blunt.
    “I think there’s an easy win here for the White House if they would take that win, which is make this an infrastructure package, which is about 30% — even if you stretch the definition of infrastructure some — it’s about 30% of the $2.25 trillion we are talking about spending,” Blunt said.

Yeah, like the White House should just only do like 30% of the original bill I guess? For like.... reasons...and stuff. Because what really is infrastructure anyway?

Dark_Side on
    edited April 2021
    I just don’t get this desire to underspend. This obsessions with shaving off edges and scaling down. Is america the greates country on earth or a fucking pauper who has to count coins? Just fucking spend the nonsense tokens and make the world better and less people suffer. The argument for spending less is always just spend less for its own sake, out of responsibility. To what? There’s never a concern that we won’t spend enough, that time and people will be wasted while the planet dies with half measures and not enough. What’s the price tag of missing last chance opportunities on the environment, on the welfare of living citizens and their children?

I’m looking forward to having a balanced budget while the country and world crumbles and is irrevocably ruined for future generations

Prohass on
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Pump the brakes. I don't even know where six years comes from, getting past two is going to be hard enough.

We've gotten more passed through Congress in the past month than we managed in the decade before that. We have two more reconciliation bills (including the v2 the Parliamentarian approved that absolutely is an end run around the filibuster) that Manchin will vote for.

Let's at least wait until he disappoints us to get disappointed. The whole Eeyore 'oh no Manchin is gonna let us down' is getting very old.

Either way, until we find a new 50th vote it doesn't matter because no matter how much he sucks we are stuck with him.

When someone tells you who they are, believe them.

Manchin's going to make sure nothing we do is meaningful enough to matter. And then the fascists at the state level will just replace election results they don't like with ones they've decided all on their own make the most sense and we're done.

uH3IcEi.png
    I’m angry at manchin but it’s the system that gives a conservative rich white minority more power than the plurality of citizens that’s the issue. He should be irrelevant, instead we have to play this dumb game with him and wonder idly whether he’s really playing or is just messing with us

zagdrob wrote: »

When someone tells you who they are, believe them.

Manchin's going to make sure nothing we do is meaningful enough to matter.

wc8blnfpor5g.png

7cnancf9q4dx.jpg

r5w67nyoasbq.png

imh2q2k0t7ea.png

Nah.

Prohass wrote: »
    I just don’t get this desire to underspend. This obsessions with shaving off edges and scaling down. Is america the greates country on earth or a fucking pauper who has to count coins? Just fucking spend the nonsense tokens and make the world better and less people suffer. The argument for spending less is always just spend less for its own sake, out of responsibility. To what? There’s never a concern that we won’t spend enough, that time and people will be wasted while the planet dies with half measures and not enough. What’s the price tag of missing last chance opportunities on the environment, on the welfare of living citizens and their children?

I’m looking forward to having a balanced budget while the country and world crumbles and is irrevocably ruined for future generations

The fear is that if we spend money on people who aren't rich then eventually we are going to have to raise taxes to prevent a fiscal crisis. We'll probably have to do the same eventually after giving rich people all the money, but they'll have managed to make investment returns on it by then so meh.

moniker wrote: »

The fear is that if we spend money on people who aren't rich then eventually we are going to have to raise taxes to prevent a fiscal crisis. We'll probably have to do the same eventually after giving rich people all the money, but they'll have managed to make investment returns on it by then so meh.

I guess I’m just sick of the fears of stuff happening seeming to have more weight than the actual bad stuff happening

moniker wrote: »

I guess I’m just sick of the fears of stuff happening seeming to have more weight than the actual bad stuff happening

It does feel like the paradigm is finally starting to shift and people are realizing that a ledger has two sides.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I mean, the amount of money we spend relative to tax revenue is relevant, which anyone who thinks we should raise taxes is implicitly acknowledging. So we can't just slash taxes and hike spending by $100T per year because that would probably do some kinda bad things to the economy.

That said, I don't know exactly how much we can spend before we get into trouble, because I'm not an economist, but I think the general sentiment is not "raise spending by $Texas and who cares, it'll work out" but rather "raise spending by $Texas because we desperately need these things, and we'll worry about funding it properly down the road."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I mean, the amount of money we spend relative to tax revenue is relevant, which anyone who thinks we should raise taxes is implicitly acknowledging. So we can't just slash taxes and hike spending by $100T per year because that would probably do some kinda bad things to the economy.

That said, I don't know exactly how much we can spend before we get into trouble, because I'm not an economist, but I think the general sentiment is not "raise spending by $Texas and who cares, it'll work out" but rather "raise spending by $Texas because we desperately need these things, and we'll worry about funding it properly down the road."

And that there are taxes aside from the literal ones collected by the IRS. The refusal to sufficiently maintain bridges in the past is a tax on the present because we will have to spend more money to fix more of them now than if we just bothered to keep things up along the way. Stitch in time and all that.

(This is especially the case for roads because the cost of maintenance does actually increase logarithmically after a certain point of failure in the roadbed that now requires full reconstruction.)
    jw2aqkisivma.jpg

This discussion has been closed.