As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do we want? [Webcomics]!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I see Abaddon is no stranger to JRPG antagonist motivations

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    I knew Jagga was the good guy all along!

*looks at the multiple genocides Jagganoth is responsible for"

good guy... sure...

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So someone has already edited that to be capitalism right?

I don't know which internet rule says "if there wasn't a meme before there is one now" but...
    pXE7oRq.jpg

Alt text

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oh so that's why he gets called Big Red

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    iwgrcc3f3vcy.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

So, has a bunch of time passed, or is fast beard growing one of his powers?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    iwgrcc3f3vcy.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Yo that is an oof to end all oofs...

ekhdx07voxsw.png
    Dumbing of Age

I think that's why Becky is the way she is; to show the ways their upbringing could have manifested, and how well Joyce has done in comparison.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I mean the real issue/reason for the popularity of Isekai is that it's cheap and easy, and a veneer for harem series (which is what they typically actually are).

The fanbase that consumes them is familiar with RPG game mechanics. Rather than making something up, let's just have our world have RPG game mechanics and we don't have to explain it.

It seems like you're specifically referring to the type of iskei that's based on video games here. The iskei that I have preferred do not have either game mechanics or a harem set-up. They do include and/or center around a romance, but the nice things about the ones I have read that are based on novels is that the ordinary ladies that have been thrown into the romanic-fantasy world tend to start out as the complete opposite of a protagonist like Miaka from Fushigi Yugi (and thinking about it, that story is basically an iskei, right?) Heroines like Miaka have annoyed me since I'm no longer a teenager, because they're always blushing at every little thing the main guy does, and have every handsome dude in the story falling in love with them for no discernable reason. In contrast, This Villainness Wants A Divorce is an older heroine who is actually completely uninterested in romance and just wants to figure out her way through to surviving. She considers herself a friend to the male lead and doesn't even catch on that he's romantically interested until he tells her - but even then she doesn't start blushing and tripping all over herself with affection, she starts out just being surprised by it and having to think about whether she wants to try to give her romantic affections to anyone. Obviously it's a romance so the two will get somewhere eventually, but I like that the heroine is portraying a more adult romance and that there aren't any other guys romantically interested in her except the male protagonist. There's even a funny moment when the male protagonists brother is suspected of carrying on an affair with the heroine, and he's like, "Guys, c'mon, I have a type!"

If the iskei is supposed to occur within a romance game, I can see why you'd get the harem attributes, but I haven't really read or been that interested in game-based iskei outside of Skeleton Soldier.

I'm not sure, but I think the first "reincarnated otome game villainess" story was Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu, a.k.a. Reika-sama? HameFura/Bakarina/Death Flag Otome/My Next Life as a Villainess came out a year later and obviously blew the fuck up with an anime last year and whatnot, but yeah the subgenre's been bubbling for at least eight years.

As far as subgenres go, it's not like "I got reincarnated into my favorite dating sim" is that much weirder than "I got reincarnated into my favorite RPG". My personal favorite twist on the premise was "I got reincarnated into my daughter's favorite dating sim", although I don't remember which novel that was.
    The subgenre does sometimes get kind of tiring with the repeated trope of the "real" Heroine being a manipulative jerk, but some stories do it alright. It's not quite the same thing, but Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess has a really cute friendship between the villainess and the heroine. There's also a couple that just completely abandon the school premise and pick up after the villainess has been exiled - I kind of like Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter, although that's maybe just my fondness for "I got reincarnated into a feudal world, let's start reforming society" stories.

Seriously, though, I put some tags into a light novel website and came back with 68 fan-translated series of various lengths and quality. There's a lot, and that's only the ones that are reincarnating into a game! The "villainess noble girls" tags on that site has 356 works! Good or trashy, you could probably spend years reading nothing but this stuff and not run out.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    ekhdx07voxsw.png
    Dumbing of Age

I think that's why Becky is the way she is; to show the ways their upbringing could have manifested, and how well Joyce has done in comparison.

That's true. Joyce went to a normal university because she was considered the best socialized of her group.

Quire.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Aspected Chaos here using the forbidden and ancient technique of "just talk"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I see Abaddon is no stranger to JRPG antagonist motivations

Yeah, I was thinking of time kompression too.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hard to tell with him being all stoney, but has Jags lost his magic invulnerability nails?

Oh brilliant
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hard to tell with him being all stoney, but has Jags lost his magic invulnerability nails?

Nope.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    I knew Jagga was the good guy all along!

Do the impossible, see the invisible, rah rah fight the powah!
    Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, rah rah fight the powah!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    iwgrcc3f3vcy.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

That's just a few weeks of not shaving, for some people.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

whoa, the extra panel there adds a _layer_

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I am so tired of that trope.
    I also hate that it is a trope.

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

Seems I've missed a few Harpy Gee updates, but this party for Humphrey seems to be going pretty well. . . for most of the characters, anyway

vEaRQgH.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    EQ4dJU2.png

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    EQ4dJU2.png

I'm nearly 40 and if I don't shave for a month I still won't have as nice of a beard as Gabe has there

JtgVX0H.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    EQ4dJU2.png

I'm nearly 40 and if I don't shave for a month I still won't have as nice of a beard as Gabe has there

It took my dad until his 50s, but it did happen.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My ass and ear hair is coming in pretty good can you do a moustache with that

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    iwgrcc3f3vcy.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

That's just a few weeks of not shaving, for some people.

I get a beard like that if I bite my thumb and blow really hard.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Bors retiring from political cartooning is a bittersweet thing. He was spinning his wheels compared to 2015 and retiring before becoming a hack like most of the industry is appreciated.

VRXwDW7.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i hope im not misremembering, but i'm also glad that he actually backed down from NFTs when enough people shouted at him

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's nice to know that the NFT he made will forever outweigh all his other accomplishments though. Once it's made it's made and shitting up the atmosphere forever.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    oh wait he still actually sold it?

that fucking sucks i thought that he pulled it before it actually went to auction

This discussion has been closed.