As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Funny the way your work can write its history with your bones, apparently you can tell which skeletons belonged to gamekeepers because they all have little spurs of bone on their thumb knuckles from pinching the vertebrae of small animals apart

I believe it was the Welsh bowmen whose skeletons appeared to have "jerked too much" arm, too

Not just them. eg: the skeletons of the archers from the Mary Rose also showed similar effects. Professional archers probably looked kinda lopsided.

Although it would have been impolite to call attention to it, I'm sure.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    cooooooooooooool. Meta history. I love it.

(Edit: By meta history, I mean a history as to why a historical account was told/written in the first place. Really cool stuff.)

I think this is generally referred to as Historiography (basically, the study of a piece of history's history).

When I read a James Loewen book on monuments he really stressed that sort of thing. Like how a ton of Spanish-American War Memorials in the USA will list the dates as 1898-1902, despite the fact that Spain sued for peace after a couple months (what's happening there is that the memorials are rolling the Philippine-American War into the Spanish-American War, as the latter was a good act - breaking the last vestiges of the Spanish Empire - and the former a bad act of American imperialism). That way the monument gets to launder that it's commemorating American soldiers who died being the bad guys.

Right after finishing that book I was wandering around Calgary and randomly came to the Boer War Memorial. Sure enough, I looked at the inscription and saw that it was dedicated in 1914, right as recruitment drives for WW1 were going on.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210325-the-strange-medieval-fruit-the-world-forgot

gnr025vcubsx.png

The forgotten medieval fruit with a vulgar name
    By Zaria Gorvett, 25th March 2021

In 2011, archaeologists found something unusual in a Roman toilet.

The team were excavating the ancient village of Tasgetium (now Eschenz, Switzerland), ruled by a Celtic king who was personally given the land by Julius Caesar. It was built on the banks of the river Rhine, along what was then an important trade route – and as a result, its remains have been steeped in water ever since. What should have rotted away centuries ago was uncovered in a remarkable state of preservation, protected by the lack of oxygen in the boggy conditions.

It was here that, nestled among the remains of familiar foods such as plums, damsons, cherries, peaches and walnuts in an ancient cesspit, the archaeologists found 19 curiously large seeds. Though they were, let's say, "deposited" there nearly 2,000 years ago, they almost looked fresh enough to have been found yesterday – except that the fruit they belong to is now so obscure, it can baffle even professional botanists.

The polite, socially acceptable name by which it's currently known is the medlar. But for the best part of 900 years, the fruit was called the "open-arse" – thought to be a reference to the appearance of its own large "calyx" or bottom. The medlar's aliases abroad were hardly more flattering. In France, it was variously known as "la partie postérieure de ce quadrupede" (the posterior part of this quadruped), "cu d'singe" (monkey's bottom), "cu d'ane" (donkey's bottom), and cul de chien (dog's bottom)… you get the idea...

People used to love eating ass back in the old days

Peas on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I wish to partake of the ancient butt-fruit.

My lavish, hedonistic, 21st century lifestyle has left me bored of normal, non titillating fruits.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is a fruit that doesn't resemble genitals even worth eating?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Absolutely fucking not.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My lavish, hedonistic, 21st century lifestyle has left me bored of normal, non titillating fruits.

Counter point: Have you seen a banana?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    let me tell you about the videogame Agony then

wherein the 'forbidden fruit' literally has a labia on it

Counter point: Have you seen a banana?

A banana. How... pedestrian.

I guess the word costermonger originally referred to people who sold costers which were like bigass medieval apples

Thats kind of fun to think about, large apples

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I guess the word costermonger originally referred to people who sold costers which were like bigass medieval apples

Thats kind of fun to think about, large apples

Huh. Ain't that a thing. I do like to imagine folks in doublets just getting down on a big old apple while someone with a solid-wheel cart hollers about their giant apples for sale.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, just kind of mildly pleasing, remarkably large apples

Imagine it, apples but bigger not a lot but enough

Hobnail on

4cf6c031f64284677e99ddd10b0d43db.jpg

history is full of people doing shit because why not

JRPGs ain't got shit on history.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm still irritated that I missed out on prime sword cane times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJZA61spN20

still is sword cane times

except where sword canes are mega illegal

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'd just practice regular cane fighting

you can fuck a guy up with a cane

one time I was on the bus in Pburgh, lookin' at people out the window, and the bus drove past an old man just beating the hell out of a guy with a cane

I never learned anything about it even though I googled PITTSBURGH CANE DEATH?

PiptheFair wrote: »

https://youtu.be/Bdfx7l4z5cQ

Uh, warning for people who don't want to see pork carcasses chopped up

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    V1m wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Funny the way your work can write its history with your bones, apparently you can tell which skeletons belonged to gamekeepers because they all have little spurs of bone on their thumb knuckles from pinching the vertebrae of small animals apart

I believe it was the Welsh bowmen whose skeletons appeared to have "jerked too much" arm, too

Not just them. eg: the skeletons of the archers from the Mary Rose also showed similar effects. Professional archers probably looked kinda lopsided.

Although it would have been impolite to call attention to it, I'm sure.

They wouldn't have looked lopsided as people. If you want to see what someone who regularly shoots a 200 lb bow looks like check out Joe Gibbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyEc8tkGBJc

edit: among other things, one interesting thing to learn from Gibb's channel is that no one can stand around with a medieval war bow pulled back for any length of time. This guy can shoot a 200+ bow. One of the vids he did was how long he could pull back a 130 lb training band and hold it. He could just barely manage 35 seconds (edit: and notice that this arms are shaking after about 5 seconds).

When he actually shoots watch his motion. He is pulling back and releasing as a single motion. No standing around aiming with the string pulled back. That is only possible with very modern bows that use compound systems to adjust the rate of tension as you pull back (so once fully extended you enter a zone where its super easy to hold back).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Looking at that and it just feels odd to me that he's test firing them in his backyard.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Yeah I don't think those things were ever meant to be aimed. You had like, 100 angry pig shepherds with long bows lined up and they all fired em off at once like a medieval artillery barage.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah that's a good way to have somebody tell your parents that you're doing dangerous stuff and you get in trouble

gotta go into the woods for shooting bows and firecrackers and stuff

Yeah I don't think those things were ever meant to be aimed. You had like, 100 angry pig shepherds with long bows lined up and they all fired em off at once like a medieval artillery barage.

oh they are quite accurate its just the "aiming" is done as one single motion with pulling the string and releasing. No standing still with the string pulled back adjusting for more than a second or two.

Gibbs has done some excellent vids with Todd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8yHeF4KRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdTkddHaE

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Ok so you had 100 angry pig shepherds who were actually elite snipers and

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ok so you had 100 angry pig shepherds who were actually elite snipers and

We talking bows or sword canes

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Good glad we’re on the same page

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

https://youtu.be/Bdfx7l4z5cQ

Uh, warning for people who don't want to see pork carcasses chopped up

"you don't have to be a vegetarian to realize that that is incorrect in some small way" is a line that has stuck with me for years

cold steel has some wild advertising, but their stuff is pretty legit

edited April 2021
    I have one of their machetes I use for yard work. It has served me well. Plus if there is ever a zombie apocalypse...

Also looking at those dudes I'm 100% sure they ate all the meat the chopped up, so at least it wasn't a waste.

TheStig on
    all their stuff is pre-sharpened (and pretty decently) and is built a little bulkier than standard weapons because they assume insane dads and weebs will use it to chop up shit in their backyard, so they tend to be like 15-25% heavier than other practical weapons of similar make

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

Nope they were absolutely aimable. You practice doing something for thousands of hours, you get good at it.

edited April 2021
    (cross posting in case anyone here has tips)

anyone have any good scholarly sources on the history of mormonism in the US? Or even just the textual history of the book of mormon itself?

The mormons who dropped by last week actually emailed back and I'd like to have something to talk about next time besides just the history and theology of christianity in general.

These don't have to be free. Looking for books or lectures from reliable sources (eg: some universities put classes on youtube or places like the great courses plus)

edit: I am aware of the south park episode of course. If someone compiled footnotes properly sourcing that episode I'd love those footnotes.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You might want to check out "Mormonism: A Very Short Introduction" if you haven't already

There is a bibliography at the end of the book, you can check it out through Amazon

5gpynho5d3mc.png

(just a sample)

Just read Sherlock Holmes, A Study In Scarlett and call it a day.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Just read Sherlock Holmes, A Study In Scarlett and call it a day.

Oh, you say that about everything

This discussion has been closed.