As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Is The Best Tim Curry [Movie]?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth I think I've seen each Matrix movie twice and I still don't understand the whole connection between Smith and that other real life dude (who I think now is named Bane entirely due to this thread).

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    For what it's worth I think I've seen each Matrix movie twice and I still don't understand the whole connection between Smith and that other real life dude (who I think now is named Bane entirely due to this thread).

Mr Smith uploads himself into Bane. That's it. He takes over his body, the way he is taking over everything inside the Matrix, and he goes back up the connection to the guy's human body.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Mr Smith uploads himself into Bane. That's it. He takes over his body, the way he is taking over everything inside the Matrix, and he goes back up the connection to the guy's human body.

It's existentially horrifying too, which I hadn't ever really considered.

I mean, if you wake up from a nightmare where you were possessed, bam.

Blech.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Blech.

From all indications, it's not possession, it's a total overwrite. There is no Bane anymore, just Smith; Smith infecting him obliterated whatever was there. At the very end of the trilogy, the only people we see that are restored are programs and not organic, so it's a possibility that wiping out Smith either killed or wiped out the minds of essentially every human being he infected.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Picked up the novelization for Godzilla vs Kong today. For those curious, the first 32 pages take place before the events at the beginning of the movie. I'm curious to see what other differences there are when I have time to read more.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Long John Silver in Muppet's Treasure Island

Blech.

From all indications, it's not possession, it's a total overwrite. There is no Bane anymore, just Smith; Smith infecting him obliterated whatever was there. At the very end of the trilogy, the only people we see that are restored are programs and not organic, so it's a possibility that wiping out Smith either killed or wiped out the minds of essentially every human being he infected.

A whole crop lost....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Holy crap. The Matrix: Reloaded looks amazing in 4K.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Huge Weaving is so perfect in this.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Big McHugo Large

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Big McHugo Large

Hugh Mungo Grant

• Options
    What does Huge Lorry have to do with this?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    What does Huge Lorry have to do with this?

You think kids but together the fact that he's a Big Truck?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Big McHugo Large

No that was the video game ending.

(I gotta post it every time)
    skip to 23:52 if the embed doesn't work right, this occurs right before neo gives up in the movies to become a martyr and join with smith.
    https://youtu.be/mAK5AP-zbW8?t=1432

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I stand by my original assessment that the Matrix Reloaded was actually decent

Revolutions was the one that completely botched it

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Had a pleasant surprise with a movie last night.
    We watched The Empty Man expecting a pretty run of the mill horror movie. What we got was something MUCH more cerebral. It was also the director's first feature film and I'm pumped to see what else he comes up with because it was a beautifully shot film.

Highly recommend people give it a look.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

Matrix Reloaded was ok, but it's completely incapable of standing on its own as a film it's dependent on what came before and only the first half of a two film arc, so it's not fun to watch in retrospect. Revolutions was a complete fuck up. Spent one film trying to save Trinity, kill her off in the next film anyway. It's a series built around bad ass superhuman kung fu and spends a bulk of its time with cgi robots fighting humans in cgi robots.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Reloaded setup alot of thing that could have been interesting the Revolutions completely failed to pay off.

Hell Neo, Trinity and Morpheus probably had like 20 minutes of total screentime

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The dock battle did have some lovely visuals though.
    The 'real' world in the Matrix should have been revealed to be another simulation layer. I have no idea where you'd go with that or how you'd manage to make it work, but it'd be a hell of an improvement over basically giving Neo magical powers. Not that the Matrix technology made much sense anyway, what with them deciding to use people as power sources (alongside nuclear fusion... yeah...) instead of as CPU's.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King's IT
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The dock battle did have some lovely visuals though.
    The 'real' world in the Matrix should have been revealed to be another simulation layer. I have no idea where you'd go with that or how you'd manage to make it work, but it'd be a hell of an improvement over basically giving Neo magical powers. Not that the Matrix technology made much sense anyway, what with them deciding to use people as power sources (alongside nuclear fusion... yeah...) instead of as CPU's.

The last shot is zooming out of an old TV screen like the first reveal with Morpheus and Neo.

Now we're in Oracle's old apartment. She picks up a remote and clicks off the TV.

"Another rerun."

• Options

I agree with this.

Revolutions was extremely boring.

Reloaded was very interesting.

Revolutions essentially took place almost entirely in meatspace. Bleh.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The plots of the resident evil films seem like someone asked my dad about a conversation

I remember going to the Cinema to watch Revolutions and thinking the begining started reasonably well; the fight at the club entrance, with various guys fighting in the ceiling. One of the more interesting bits of Reloaded was the idea that Vampires, Ghosts (poor ghost twins), etc...existed, and seeing some more of that in the next film was something I was looking forward to.

But that's not the direction Revolutions takes...I was just wanting the film to end by the halfway mark.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I watched the Academy Award live action shorts last night, so if you want to win your bracket ask me anything.

General mood: fuck the police

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Read some more of the Godzilla vs Kong novelization and, uh, Bernie (the conspiracy theory guy) has officially moved up in my opinion from "forgettable comic relief" to "the most interesting human character in the Monsterverse".
    In the movie, all we find out about Bernie is that his wife died at some point, he runs a conspiracy theory podcast, and he's been undercover at APEX.

The novelization reveals A LOT of backstory to this guy:
    • Bernie's wife Sara worked for Apex even before Godzilla and the MUTOs attacked San Francisco. Following the attack she began to talk about the monsters at home often, which Bernie found a bit curious.
    • Later, Sara suddenly quit her job, leading to tensions that caused the couple to take a break. Just as things were looking up she was involved in a car accident and died at the hospital.
    • Weeks later, Bernie discovered a note Sara had hidden at home that read "Godzilla>Apex>Monarch Contract>shipping manifest>component for bomb." The next day he applied for a position to Apex.
    • Bernie started the Titan Truth Podcast under the pseudonym Mad Truth. He also came to believe that Apex agents had caused the car "accident" that killed Sara.
    • After the events of KotM, a number of disgruntled Monarch employees approached Bernie to share what they know about a connection between Apex and Monarch that has since been buried.
    • The "bomb" Sara had found out about was none other than the Oxygen Destroyer that was used in Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Apex had been informed of the other Titans by Monarch and was commissioned to create a weapon to kill them (presumably while most of them were still in containment).

I've just gotten to the part where Godzilla arrives in Pensacola, but as of now I suspect that Bernie's more outlandish claims and behaviors are all an act to make him seem less competent than he is. He knows Monarch was connected to Apex and believes Apex killed his wife after she discovered the company had been contracted by Monarch to create a weapon against the Titans, so even when he introduces himself to Mark Russell at the end of the movie he could have bigger ambitions than just getting Mark on his podcast. He might be looking for an in to Monarch to go undercover within it just as he did Apex.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The plots of the resident evil films seem like someone asked my dad about a conversation

I remember going to the Cinema to watch Revolutions and thinking the begining started reasonably well; the fight at the club entrance, with various guys fighting in the ceiling. One of the more interesting bits of Reloaded was the idea that Vampires, Ghosts (poor ghost twins), etc...existed, and seeing some more of that in the next film was something I was looking forward to.

But that's not the direction Revolutions takes...I was just wanting the film to end by the halfway mark.

This is a much bigger deal in the computer game (not the path of Neo one). However, it is still an undeveloped concept.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

Big McHugo Large

No that was the video game ending.

(I gotta post it every time)
    skip to 23:52 if the embed doesn't work right, this occurs right before neo gives up in the movies to become a martyr and join with smith.
    https://youtu.be/mAK5AP-zbW8?t=1432

The boss fight's cool and all, but I think the part I love best about this clip is where one of the Wachowskis goes full philosophy turbo-nerd at about the 24:24 mark.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Wait, is the drop in of the Wachowskis in that real?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'll say this, one of my favorite things to come out of any franchise is the Animatrix. Not every one slaps (the CG kung fu one hasn't aged great) buuut just about all of them have incredible animation or really compelling stories, from really incredible directors. The film noir one stands out, as well as the the two part story about the robot revolution. The track runner who literally runs out of the simulation, or the kids who find the glitched "haunted house" bit of the matrix.

They even directly tied it in with the short about the skateboarder kid who yeets himself off a roof to join up with Neo

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Reloaded was bad enough that I never watched Revolutions. I still haven't seen it.

There were several very cool scenes in a movie that just disappointed over and over again. I went to see it with a big group of friends and the only similar viewing I can think of that went over worse was The Phantom Menace. Over the next few weeks I tried to talk myself into having been too hard on it and possibly swayed by all of the other negative opinions, so I saw it a second time in theaters by myself. Promptly gave up on the Matrix franchise after the second viewing.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I actually really like Reloaded. The opening bar fight, the vampire fight in the chalet, the highway chase, I even liked the Thousand Agent Smith fight. I was watching it with my wife, who had never seen it, getting all excited (especially with a few drinks.) Then came Revolutions. She said that I was "oooo'ing and aaaa'ing" at all sorts of scenes in the first two but didn't make a sound during the third. I want to see ridiculous kung fu and gunfights. Revolutions had almost none.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King's IT
    I started Mystery Men last night late, will finish tonight. Seen it a few times over the years.

Man, what a crazy thing with a wild cast. Other than the slurs, humor and writing holds up, as does the action and sets.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I started Mystery Men last night late, will finish tonight. Seen it a few times over the years.

Man, what a crazy thing with a wild cast. Other than the slurs, humor and writing holds up, as does the action and sets.

The sets and backdrops are quite remarkable. Champion City was a far better setting with juuuust enough hints of cyberpunk than it was ever given credit for.

And yeah, it does (mostly) hold up. The cast is astonishing and they're all having a riot with it, and the script is often razor sharp.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

The sets and backdrops are quite remarkable. Champion City was a far better setting with juuuust enough hints of cyberpunk than it was ever given credit for.

And yeah, it does (mostly) hold up. The cast is astonishing and they're all having a riot with it, and the script is often razor sharp.

I kinda starts off rough with the Red Eyes.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

I kinda starts off rough with the Red Eyes.

"If you're going to eat cake, you ought to use a fork!"

• Options
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Ketar wrote: »

Reloaded was bad enough that I never watched Revolutions. I still haven't seen it.

There were several very cool scenes in a movie that just disappointed over and over again. I went to see it with a big group of friends and the only similar viewing I can think of that went over worse was The Phantom Menace. Over the next few weeks I tried to talk myself into having been too hard on it and possibly swayed by all of the other negative opinions, so I saw it a second time in theaters by myself. Promptly gave up on the Matrix franchise after the second viewing.

I think I've watched Revolutions once, in the cinema, because we'd already watched the second one (first might have been home video). I remember Reloaded having a lot of interesting aspects like the spiritual leftovers and the highway fight, and a decent music album too. I think Matrix4 might give Revolutions a run for its money though, yet to see a revived series succeed.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

Yes.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options

Yes.

Yeah. It is actually kinda worth collecting for that little segment.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I think Matrix4 might give Revolutions a run for its money though, yet to see a revived series succeed.
    Fury Road?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Wadsworth in Clue
    Thirith wrote: »
    I think Matrix4 might give Revolutions a run for its money though, yet to see a revived series succeed.
    Fury Road?

That's a total reboot, it doesn't bring back the same cast as the same characters 20-30 years later and try to pick up the same story.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wadsworth in Clue

Yes.

The entire game was a buggy piece of shit that never should have been released.

It's a game that somehow not just makes Bethesda look competent but nearly flawless as a developer.

When I found out that was real I was even more annoyed because imo the Wachowskis knew how shit it was and decided to insert themselves at the end because clearly no one would actually endure the game long enough to get that far.

This discussion has been closed.