As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knockout [Chat]

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So @Feral here's a video from four years before Lars got big, it's another instructor (who I believe worked with Lars but I can't cite that) who teaches the same style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

You can pause the video and see she still uses the traditional form of the arrow to the left of the forward grip, which is what makes sense because otherwise you've got to cant the bow (tilt it) something godawful to get a sight profile and avoid the archer's paradox, which Lars says he avoids by putting the arrow of the off side, but scientifically that's horseshit and actually makes your arrows fly wild unless you've specifically spined and fletched them that way, which he has.

What makes her a fast shot (aside from practice) is that she uses a thumb ring and you grip the arrow to pull back rather than letting the nock clip onto the string as it does with modern plastic nocks. Thumb ring style uses more of a "U" shaped nock you have to hold with your thumb and inner palm.

She's also shooting at a large blanket instead of an actual target because it's almost fucking impossible to hit something smaller than a torso like that, hence it being a horse drawn style. Mongol soldiers used to carry an arrow in each grove between fingers and could fire off four arrows from horseback in about five seconds, and if they were close, they were in the midst of battle so they're gonna hit something, be it horse or man.

Lars basically adopted an existing technique to fit his style as would someone who learned to play guitar by ear but those people don't typically go to concerts and tell the performers they're doing it wrong.

Anyway that's my archery rant for the year everyone click like and subscribe and don't forget to keep those comments coming.

Right, but is he better than everyone else? Are there categories he still loses in?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My dad grew up in the 60s and he still tells stories about the psychopathic nuns who would hit kids with rulers for using their left hand to write.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    My dad grew up in the 60s and he still tells stories about the psychopathic nuns who would hit kids with rulers for using their left hand to write.

looking at the state of the world today it's easy to forget just how fucked up and barbaric people's ideas were that were just generally accepted even within my own lifetime

like stuff like that of course still exists, but man

might as well have been the middle ages just 30 years ago even

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Hello I had to deal w transphobes on Twitter today for my job so Poppy and I are going to watch The Birdcage (one of my like, comfort movies lol) while we take a bubble bath

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud for electronics and water lmao? (Sorry if you’re not about the movie tho it is ofc dated just a childhood favorite)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The Birdcage is still great and i will hear nothing to the contrary

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    PFIZER

PFIZER

PFIZER

PFIZER

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

It was one of two pieces of explicitly queer media I grew up with!!! It’s very very important to meee

• Options

It was one of two pieces of explicitly queer media I grew up with!!! It’s very very important to meee

i think when it came out it was literally one of two pieces of explicitly queer media

that and To Wong Foo

• Options

looking at the state of the world today it's easy to forget just how fucked up and barbaric people's ideas were that were just generally accepted even within my own lifetime

I mean

In my own lifetime it was still socially acceptable for parents to beat their kids

That’s only changed in the last 20 years or so

Kids were still getting paddled at school when I was in k-6

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I mean

In my own lifetime it was still socially acceptable for parents to beat their kids

Still defended by many. Not everyone goes all the way forward.

• Options

i think when it came out it was literally one of two pieces of explicitly queer media

that and To Wong Foo

It came out the year I was born!

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

that and To Wong Foo

Was Rocky Horror explicitly queer?

• Options
    Pfizer Kermamente

• Options

that and To Wong Foo

It came out the year I was born!

*fades away*

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

that and To Wong Foo

i think yes but also no

it's definitely played more like a carnival sideshow in the context of the time it was made

• Options

I mean

I think my parents had to sign something saying it was ok for the principal to spank me in order for me to go to elementary school

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Hello I had to deal w transphobes on Twitter today for my job so Poppy and I are going to watch The Birdcage (one of my like, comfort movies lol) while we take a bubble bath

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud for electronics and water lmao? (Sorry if you’re not about the movie tho it is ofc dated just a childhood favorite)
    Do it do it!!
    I've actually never seen it but I know it's a classic!

• Options

that and To Wong Foo

i think yes but also no

it's definitely played more like a carnival sideshow in the context of the time it was made

But also I don't feel like I've ever felt as sexy as the time a guy hit on me in the parking lot of the West Seattle Safeway while we were waiting for the show to start.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    this is a really interesting interview with Tim Curry from 1975 about it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5sTIGLo79g

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I'm finishing up my yearly research presentation. Currently approaching charliestringboard.gif.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

that and To Wong Foo

i think yes but also no

But also I don't feel like I've ever felt as sexy as the time a guy hit on me in the parking lot of the West Seattle Safeway while we were waiting for the show to start.

gay men in their 30s and 40s used to get so thirsty for me when i was in my 20s

all buying me drinks when i was with a woman at a bar and then winking at me when it was delivered

i used to be so beautiful

• Options

I mean

I think my parents had to sign something saying it was ok for the principal to spank me in order for me to go to elementary school

I remember the time a teacher accidentally gave my brother a bloody nose by smacking his face into the desk, cause my brother fell asleep in class and the teacher tired to lightly rap him on the back of the head with his text book, but when my brother tried to suddenly sit up his head bounced off the book and slammed into the desk. When they teacher tried to apologize profusely, worried about getting sued/fired, to my dad during parent teacher week my dad almost died laughing, and practically gave him a high five. Granted, my brother kind of deserved it

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I think rocky horror is way more camp than queer pride

Like its counter culture for sure but it wasn't arguing queer people are "normal," either.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

This was my Grandpa's experience as he was left-handed but had it literally beaten out of him. Unsure if it was rulers or belts, probably both.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

Like its counter culture for sure but it wasn't arguing queer people are "normal," either.

this really isn't my field but I can say for sure that in the 80s / early 90s it was way way outside the mainstream. And to a young person at the time it wasn't saying anything about who is or isn't normal but just saying that these people exist was almost unique in the media available to me.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    intel is making a new Bleep back-end for streamers, and it's kind of *facepalm*
    6qSWZNi.jpg

• Options
    [chat], I think I'm ready to take the plunge on a bidet. What am I looking for/at. We technically kind of own the home, so I'm not worried about landlords/deposits, but also if I can just hook it up to the existing cold water hookup, that would probably be best. Also, we have a toilet seat that has a tiny ring that can be moved down for potty training that we would like to keep, as we are hoping the 3yr old will start potty training soon.

• Options

also i was being cheeky with my response of course, there has certainly been explicitly queer media for a long time if you dig below the surface of pop culture, but i would sort of imply media that is viewed by everybody

i watched the Birdcage with my parents and everybody loved it

i can't imagine a world where i would have watched Rocky Horror with my parents

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    And n word slider

Yikes

• Options
    [chat], I think I'm ready to take the plunge on a bidet. What am I looking for/at. We technically kind of own the home, so I'm not worried about landlords/deposits, but also if I can just hook it up to the existing cold water hookup, that would probably be best. Also, we have a toilet seat that has a tiny ring that can be moved down for potty training that we would like to keep, as we are hoping the 3yr old will start potty training soon.

the Luxe model that's like $40-$50 on amazon just hooks into the water line and then screws in where the lid screws in. it takes like five minutes to install

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

If you have to plunge your bidet you have done something either truly amazing or truly terrifying to your toilet

Possibly both

• Options

also i was being cheeky with my response of course, there has certainly been explicitly queer media for a long time if you dig below the surface of pop culture, but i would sort of imply media that is viewed by everybody

i watched the Birdcage with my parents and everybody loved it

i can't imagine a world where i would have watched Rocky Horror with my parents

the birdcage also came out like 22 or so years after rocky horror

For you millennials in chat, this bit really seemed familiar to a fellow gen x:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WNsOMAmaC8

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

that and To Wong Foo

Older queer media that was meaningful to me:
    Another Country (1984): "Another Country is loosely based on the life of the spy and double agent Guy Burgess, Guy Bennett in the film. It explores his homosexuality and exposure to Marxism, while examining the hypocrisy and snobbery of the English public school system."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ8ErcWRjCs

Parting Glances (1986): "Parting Glances is a 1986 American drama film. With its realistic look at urban gay life in the Ronald Reagan era and at the height of the AIDS crisis, many film critics consider it an important film in the history of gay cinema. It was also one of the first American films to address the AIDS pandemic. First-time director Bill Sherwood died of complications due to AIDS in 1990 without ever completing another film."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMuCsgZjSI

Edge of Seventeen (1998): "Sandusky, Ohio, 1984: Eric Hunter is a Eurythmics-obsessed, musically driven teenager coming to terms with his sexual identity. When Eric and his best friend, Maggie, accept summer jobs in food service at the local amusement park, they befriend their lesbian manager, Angie, and a gay college student named Rod. Sparks fly between the two boys, even as Maggie waits patiently in the wings for Eric's affections."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SSmdVvOg4

• Options
    @Brody

https://luxebidet.com/product-category/bidet-attachments

the Neo 120 or 180

i have the 180 but i don't know that the "feminine wash" option is actually worth having. i've heard it's just unpleasant

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I should watch To Wong Foo and The Birdcage

Maybe throw in Pink Flamingos if I'm feeling saucy

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

that and To Wong Foo

Another Country (1984): "Another Country is loosely based on the life of the spy and double agent Guy Burgess, Guy Bennett in the film. It explores his homosexuality and exposure to Marxism, while examining the hypocrisy and snobbery of the English public school system."

Parting Glances (1986): "Parting Glances is a 1986 American drama film. With its realistic look at urban gay life in the Ronald Reagan era and at the height of the AIDS crisis, many film critics consider it an important film in the history of gay cinema. It was also one of the first American films to address the AIDS pandemic. First-time director Bill Sherwood died of complications due to AIDS in 1990 without ever completing another film."

Edge of Seventeen (1998): "Sandusky, Ohio, 1984: Eric Hunter is a Eurythmics-obsessed, musically driven teenager coming to terms with his sexual identity. When Eric and his best friend, Maggie, accept summer jobs in food service at the local amusement park, they befriend their lesbian manager, Angie, and a gay college student named Rod. Sparks fly between the two boys, even as Maggie waits patiently in the wings for Eric's affections."

i know Edge of Seventeen but not the other two

Another Country sounds like the kind of thing i'd watch even if i weren't explicitly pursuing queer media

• Options
    I think among my friends in high school between us we had, in terms of what people looking back today I guess would call queer media(?), vhs tapes of the following (cause not a single one of us had cable):

Rocky Horror
    Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    To Wong Foo
    The Birdcage

And we all liked these and they were in regular rotation of stuff we watched frequently. But that was it IIRC

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MrMister wrote: »

that and To Wong Foo

i know Edge of Seventeen but not the other two

Another Country sounds like the kind of thing i'd watch even if i weren't explicitly pursuing queer media

Another Country has not only homosexual turmoil, but also bonus naive passionate Marxism which is fun

Parting Glances is very good, but also, as, uh, the description might indicate, pretty rough. But a very young very early career Steve Buscemi is great. And sometimes you just need a little bit of AIDS feels in your life. Some people have dead duckling comic, I have a critically acclaimed naturalistic drama from 1986.

MrMister on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I keep thinking about getting a second monitor.

I love my current one, a behemoth AOC 27" curved deal. But now that my new work laptop can't be flipped into presentation mode, the screen is a bit far away to be useful while I am WFH.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    We have 1 or 2 sessions of Descent into Avernus left. Our players are getting into the scary combats now. Is that laughing I hear?

twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

This discussion has been closed.