As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Moving forward a decade, when I was in college the queer media I remember was... Shortbus (absolute garbage) and Hedwig and the Angry Inch (not absolute garbage but I wasn't into it).

Oh yeah, and Brokeback Mountain (still completely perfect, go fuck yourself)

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I have a tough time with the generally tragic vibe of most like pre '00s gay media

Like I end up enjoying the subtexty stuff a lot more than a lot of the explicit stuff

Or then again I mean I grew up pretty sure I was straight with only subtextual hints that uh maybe not so

Maybe I just relate more to the subtextual unspoken gay longing

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I have a tough time with the generally tragic vibe of most like pre '00s gay media

Like I end up enjoying the subtexty stuff a lot more than a lot of the explicit stuff

Or then again I mean I grew up pretty sure I was straight with only subtextual hints that uh maybe not so

Maybe I just relate more to the subtextual unspoken gay longing

I go back and forth, and it's definitely changed over time as I've moved through different phases of my life

There was a period where I absolutely devoured forbidden love and coming out dramas; and that's still, like, fine I guess, but it doesn't have the same emotional resonance.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The kid's indoor pool at the shopping center closed from covid, what a perfect business opportunity surely there won't be any more problems now

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    HMMMMMM

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm definitely not an expert on it, as a straight.

But I do feel like Brokeback was the point where queer media hit true mainstream. Like, yeah, they are gay and all but it's just a really good romance and movie all around.

Maybe I'm missing the point but while I applaud like Endgame acknowledging gays in the therapy session, it mostly seemed to stop being noteworthy. Which might be bad? I'm not even sure. I got annoyed at Captain Marvel when they said Marvel and Rambeau were a couple just because it felt like a copout making two of the strongest female characters gay. But at the same time why should it be a copout?

Basically as a straight I'm not sure and conflicted but would push the 'make it gayer' button in almost any case.

zagdrob on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    For how many years after Brokeback Mountain was there terrible jokes about it

Couscous wrote: »

yep

someone get Casual Eddy in here so he can yell about it

(heart u c edd)

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    if im ever rich im gifting everyone in [chat] an espresso machine

such a huge quality of life improvement

yes, im a coffee freak

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

DateTime.Now() - brokeback.ReleaseDate;

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

yes, im a coffee freak
    i prefer mountain dew

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Moving forward a decade, when I was in college the queer media I remember was... Shortbus (absolute garbage) and Hedwig and the Angry Inch (not absolute garbage but I wasn't into it).

The only media I can remember with gay characters in it before college is Rent
    I recall finding it very affecting and listened to the soundtrack a lot (although I didn't think of myself as queer at all until I was, like, 20, and would have just said I liked the counterculture element)

Idk what queer media I saw in college at all--there must have been some but hm, not sure.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Zavian wrote: »

yes, im a coffee freak

Im happy with swill coffee...can you give me the Dairy Queen k-cup machine instead?

I've never wanted something more but they are harder to find than RTX 3080s.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So an older gentleman comes up with one pack of the Kroger brand adult diapers, and nine packs of a national brand. The price difference is 8 dollars per pack. He tells me that we only have one of the store brand in stock so he needs the other 9 products at the lower price. I tell him that I can’t do that. He yells at me for a while that he doesn’t like grocery shopping and he wants to get it all out of the way now. I explain that I am sympathetic and I understand it’s an essential product- that if in the future we don’t have any of the store brand, I’d be glad to do just one of the next-cheapest available because I don’t want him to leave the story empty handed and unhappy. But that I can’t just give him a discount of 70+ dollars due to him not wanting to come back to the store for a while. He called me an insensitive piece of shit who doesn’t understand what it’s like to be incontinent.

I would like to do whatever I can to accommodate a reasonable ask. What you’re asking isn’t reasonable. :[

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I really like that there's kids cartoons with just queer characters that have other much more significant aspects to their existence.

Was Enrique "Rickie" Vasquez in my So Called Life explicitly gay? Queer coded to the eyeballs, but did he ever have a relationship?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    We have 1 or 2 sessions of Descent into Avernus left. Our players are getting into the scary combats now. Is that laughing I hear?

twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

I tuned in to one of your players shooting someone in the back with a heavy crossbow and you announce it killing them and him saying "but it was nonlethal :(" and you saying "you can't nonlethally crossbow people"

A+

I feel like this has happened at literally every D&D table

override367 on
    Organichu wrote: »
    So an older gentleman comes up with one pack of the Kroger brand adult diapers, and nine packs of a national brand. The price difference is 8 dollars per pack. He tells me that we only have one of the store brand in stock so he needs the other 9 products at the lower price. I tell him that I can’t do that. He yells at me for a while that he doesn’t like grocery shopping and he wants to get it all out of the way now. I explain that I am sympathetic and I understand it’s an essential product- that if in the future we don’t have any of the store brand, I’d be glad to do just one of the next-cheapest available because I don’t want him to leave the story empty handed and unhappy. But that I can’t just give him a discount of 70+ dollars due to him not wanting to come back to the store for a while. He called me an insensitive piece of shit who doesn’t understand what it’s like to be incontinent.

I would like to do whatever I can to accommodate a reasonable ask. What you’re asking isn’t reasonable. :[

People who are sympathetic can still be unreasonable.

It sucks but you did everything you could and you were in the right. People suck sometimes and it's a lot easier when they are entirely unrepentant assholes who don't have a leg to stand on.

hes going to go vote Republican and blame the damn millenials for his problems

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

yep

someone get Casual Eddy in here so he can yell about it

(heart u c edd)

I feel incredibly seen

Casual Eddy on
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular

My superpower?

Well, I can cause people to get a year older.

Every.

Fucking.

Year.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i might need to retire gming after this campaign

we're 41 sessions into a fantasy heartbreaker and still having fun, seems hard to recreate the magic that would come out of a campaign started and played through the pandemic

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We have 1 or 2 sessions of Descent into Avernus left. Our players are getting into the scary combats now. Is that laughing I hear?

I tuned in to one of your players shooting someone in the back with a heavy crossbow and you announce it killing them and him saying "but it was nonlethal :(" and you saying "you can't nonlethally crossbow people"

A+

You can polymorph yourself into a T-rex and nonlethally bite them, though :D

Tumin wrote: »

My superpower?

Every.

Fucking.

Year.

Yeah well my superpower is I can stop people from getting older.

What do you mean handguns aren't a superpower?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Tumin wrote: »

My superpower?

Every.

Fucking.

Year.

Yeah well my superpower is I can stop people from getting older.

What do you mean handguns aren't a superpower?

Keep the ducklings young #Forever21

Shivahn wrote: »

A+

You can polymorph yourself into a T-rex and nonlethally bite them, though :D

I mean by RAW I'm pretty sure you can nonlethally meteor swarm people

but

lol

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    So the rapid mongol style makes me think those bows must have far less draw weight than a later medieval combat bow would, right? It seems like it'd put a broadhead through a peasant alright, but I can't see a bodkin punching through armor if you can just toss them out like that.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Of course you can’t see it, the bodkin is moving too fast

;)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Brokeback Mountain was a great movie that went a lot more depressing and dark then I was expecting.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I'm definitely not an expert on it, as a straight.

But I do feel like Brokeback was the point where queer media hit true mainstream. Like, yeah, they are gay and all but it's just a really good romance and movie all around.

Yeah, that was landmark film.
    Maybe I'm missing the point but while I applaud like Endgame acknowledging gays in the therapy session, it mostly seemed to stop being noteworthy. Which might be bad? I'm not even sure. I got annoyed at Captain Marvel when they said Marvel and Rambeau were a couple just because it felt like a copout making two of the strongest female characters gay. But at the same time why should it be a copout?

Basically as a straight I'm not sure and conflicted but would push the 'make it gayer' button in almost any case.

I'm sorry, where's this from? The movie? Because I'm sure they weren't a couple in the movie.

Harry Dresden on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    So the rapid mongol style makes me think those bows must have far less draw weight than a later medieval combat bow would, right? It seems like it'd put a broadhead through a peasant alright, but I can't see a bodkin punching through armor if you can just toss them out like that.

Googling says, they're at about the draw weight of a long bow or more. Possibly ridiculously more, but grain of salt, probably about the same. Maybe a little more because the people who used them weren't starving farmers.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Well that's just dumb. You can basically do that for any game if you're allowed to just swap the rom out to whatever you want

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I kinda feel like making fun of that intel tool is exactly why we can't have nice things.

Like, it's clearly not a slider for how much misogyny (or w/e) you want, but for how sensititive the filters should be, how likely they are to false positive and bleep stuff that's benign.

But no, better to get your dunks in because the sliders were worded funny.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • JamesJames Registered User regular

to be fair bilbo only invited gandalf to tea, and only to be polite

wizards after all are wizards

in @vanguard 's game we got a boat and of course you have to name the boat, and a party member said "It's called... Silence". I asked if he was naming the boat "Silence" or "It's Called Silence" and of course the "It's Called Silence" was christened

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    A Beautiful Thing was hella gay and happy ending in 96. Kind of rare for the time. One of my favorite movies. Set to a Carpenters soundtrack.

I would actually pay for a rewrite of Brokeback for a happy ending. I just pretend it ends after one of their fishing trips. :)

The kiss they have under the stairs is still one of the most powerful kisses in cinema.

RHPS can only be considered nonqueer by today's standards. By historical standards it was extremely transgressive.

My current gay fave is God's Own Country which is sooooo good and happy! Also beautifully shot and wonderful.

I enjoyed Call Be My Your Name as well but the youth think it's bad and wrong so I don't really talk about that one very much.

I like some marvel movies but overall they are really, really bad for representation. The TV shows have been much better but the entire marvel movie franchise has like, what? 2 movies with female leads? 1 with a black lead? 0 with queer leads and 0 with any significant queer characters of any kind.

it's... not great!

A Beautiful Thing was hella gay and happy ending in 96. Kind of rare for the time. One of my favorite movies. Set to a Carpenters soundtrack.

I would actually pay for a rewrite of Brokeback for a happy ending. I just pretend it ends after one of their fishing trips. :)

The kiss they have under the stairs is still one of the most powerful kisses in cinema.

RHPS can only be considered nonqueer by today's standards. By historical standards it was extremely transgressive.

My current gay fave is God's Own Country which is sooooo good and happy! Also beautifully shot and wonderful.

I enjoyed Call Be My Your Name as well but the youth think it's bad and wrong so I don't really talk about that one very much.

oh no! armie hammer is literally a cannibal sex monster! hmm I should probably just never bring this movie up ever again.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

Well that's just dumb. You can basically do that for any game if you're allowed to just swap the rom out to whatever you want

But can you do it on the actual hardware?

This discussion has been closed.