As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    god's own country was really good. it provides a surprisingly unflinching look at the life of a small town farmer.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I heard someone talking about draw weight.

Most of the horse bows were sinew backed and could take a LOT of punishment so some of those would be upwards of 60lbs but that's about as much as you'd get at full draw on a bow that size. Typically they'd be closer to 40lbs from what I've seen.

The native american tribes used two different variations on this, the paddle style bow and the short bow (here it's called a sapling bow) and one was for larger game in open field and one was better for horseback or stalking prey in the woods.

The english made one kind of bow. The Longbow. It was a big ass six foot piece of yew that drew at about 100+ lbs and you had to practice with it four hours after Church every week but their entire front line could fire arrows out of that thing for an hour if they had to.

Then they decided to get smart and made a crossbow and even that fucker was like 400lbs of hardwood and steel and needed a crank to load. They actually had pull tabs on castle walls to lock crossbows into so you could pull the string back.

All of this is also dependent on what kind of armor your foes wore, what game you were hunting, and your skill level at arrows.

Making bows was easy once someone figured it out. Making arrows fly straight is still hard.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I like some marvel movies but overall they are really, really bad for representation. The TV shows have been much better but the entire marvel movie franchise has like, what? 2 movies with female leads? 1 with a black lead? 0 with queer leads and 0 with any significant queer characters of any kind.

it's... not great!

The point in Endgame where they tried to have a "Girl Power" moment just made me shake my head because it only served to make the lack of female characters more obvious. It was basically a swath of B listers in terms of the franchise. Especially with 2 of it's biggest names pointlessly killed off already.

shryke on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

Well that's just dumb. You can basically do that for any game if you're allowed to just swap the rom out to whatever you want

It'll just be its own glitch category. Speed Running any NES RPG is tough due to RNG anyways.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I'm definitely not an expert on it, as a straight.

But I do feel like Brokeback was the point where queer media hit true mainstream. Like, yeah, they are gay and all but it's just a really good romance and movie all around.

Yeah, that was landmark film.
    Maybe I'm missing the point but while I applaud like Endgame acknowledging gays in the therapy session, it mostly seemed to stop being noteworthy. Which might be bad? I'm not even sure. I got annoyed at Captain Marvel when they said Marvel and Rambeau were a couple just because it felt like a copout making two of the strongest female characters gay. But at the same time why should it be a copout?

Basically as a straight I'm not sure and conflicted but would push the 'make it gayer' button in almost any case.

I'm sorry, where's this from? The movie? Because I'm sure they weren't a couple in the movie.

No no, I saw a lot of shit saying that Danvers and Rambeau were OBVIOUSLY gay and raising a kid together. Like in the before times and when Captain Marvel was released so...2019ish? Not in the movies themselves, just surrounding stuff and think pieces and reviews and commentary.

Because of course badass women fighter pilots couldn't possibly be straight and just DADT is the only reason they weren't openly together.

And its like...if they were and are in love, cool. Good for them. I'm not opposed to it.

But why does it have to be two of the strongest women characters that are the gay ones? It feels like knee jerk men trying to defend their weak egos against strong female characters by relegating them as 'well lesbians'.

Cause Cap and Bucky clearly are a lot gayer for each other than those two are.

I'm not sure I'm expressing my thoughts and shit maybe being terrible about it. But hopefully it makes sense?

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    A Beautiful Thing was hella gay and happy ending in 96. Kind of rare for the time. One of my favorite movies. Set to a Carpenters soundtrack.

I would actually pay for a rewrite of Brokeback for a happy ending. I just pretend it ends after one of their fishing trips. :)

The kiss they have under the stairs is still one of the most powerful kisses in cinema.

RHPS can only be considered nonqueer by today's standards. By historical standards it was extremely transgressive.

My current gay fave is God's Own Country which is sooooo good and happy! Also beautifully shot and wonderful.

I enjoyed Call Be My Your Name as well but the youth think it's bad and wrong so I don't really talk about that one very much.

oh no! armie hammer is literally a cannibal sex monster! hmm I should probably just never bring this movie up ever again.
    What?

shryke wrote: »
    I like some marvel movies but overall they are really, really bad for representation. The TV shows have been much better but the entire marvel movie franchise has like, what? 2 movies with female leads? 1 with a black lead? 0 with queer leads and 0 with any significant queer characters of any kind.

it's... not great!

The point in Endgame where they tried to have a "Girl Power" moment just made me shake my head because it only served to make the lack of female characters more obviously. It was basically a swath of B listers in terms of the franchise. Especially with 2 of it's biggest names pointlessly killed off already.

I love endgame! it's a genuinely thrilling cinematic experience! But that moment felt uh a little unearned.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    A Beautiful Thing was hella gay and happy ending in 96. Kind of rare for the time. One of my favorite movies. Set to a Carpenters soundtrack.

I would actually pay for a rewrite of Brokeback for a happy ending. I just pretend it ends after one of their fishing trips. :)

The kiss they have under the stairs is still one of the most powerful kisses in cinema.

RHPS can only be considered nonqueer by today's standards. By historical standards it was extremely transgressive.

My current gay fave is God's Own Country which is sooooo good and happy! Also beautifully shot and wonderful.

I enjoyed Call Be My Your Name as well but the youth think it's bad and wrong so I don't really talk about that one very much.

oh no! armie hammer is literally a cannibal sex monster! hmm I should probably just never bring this movie up ever again.
    What?

I have no clue but it includes a sex throne.

max7yo1p7fz0.png

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    it's being played for laughs because obviously but he's for a real a horrifying monster

re: Archery

I still find the overhead load and fire fascinating. I've only really seen it in east asian stuff so I guess it's a style from that region, but who knows with how poorly stuff is represented in media.

Anyway, it's cool.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

What?

Oh yeah Arnie Hammer is a cannibal who wants to murder and eat the women he has sex with.

Apparently he wants it to be consensual and as far as we know never got consent? But creeped a lot of women to nope right the fuck out?

I'm sure more news is coming that he actually did terrible shit and just doesn't have a 'please let me murder and eat you' fetish for pillow talk.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Archery is for chumps

I only hunt with the weapon of our ancestors, the atlatl

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Hammer seems like a guy who needs some serious help.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Archery is for chumps

I only hunt with the weapon of our ancestors, the atlatl

using mechanical advantage to thow your spears???

basically a witch, burn him

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

Well that's just dumb. You can basically do that for any game if you're allowed to just swap the rom out to whatever you want

But can you do it on the actual hardware?

Sure you can. Start with any rom. Remove cart, who cares what happens. It's probably trying to execute code (most likely BRK) which smashes the stack but that doesn't matter. Insert your own rom which loads code to ram and executes from there + disables NMI - ROM is no longer in use. Swap back to the original cart, press a button which your code is listening for and your in-RAM code places the right values into the right spots, jumps to the right address and boom credits

Doing it with official games is extra fancy but it's probably just doing that, either coincidentally putting the right values in RAM and jumping to the right address to one of those games has an in-memory execution and another has arbitrary ram injection

@Casual Eddy Omg I just read the Vanity Fair piece! I had no idea!!! Oopsies. The youth didn't like the book so they didn't like the movie but I thought it captured first love heartbreak really well.

I.... had not checked the news stories since then.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

What?

I have no clue but it includes a sex throne.

max7yo1p7fz0.png

whAT

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    That's some real Girl With Dragon Tattoo stuff.

"Casual Eddy" Omg I just read the Vanity Fair piece! I had no idea!!! Oopsies. The youth didn't like the book so they didn't like the movie but I thought it captured first love heartbreak really well.

I.... had not checked the news stories since then.

This whole family reads like a bad movie holy shit.

Russian spies, hidden money, fights, drugs, and then like cannibalism by the end?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I love things like how load speeds vary enough on consoles that which of what is supposed to be the same console can vary enough to matter for speedruns

And also making a disc dirty can make a speedrun easier

https://youtu.be/THtbjPQFVZI
    Saving by licking the genius is just one ingenious thing you can do

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    So the rapid mongol style makes me think those bows must have far less draw weight than a later medieval combat bow would, right? It seems like it'd put a broadhead through a peasant alright, but I can't see a bodkin punching through armor if you can just toss them out like that.

Mongol bows were often very heavy draw weight (as heavy as English longbows) despite their small size as they took advantage of layered composite construction. So the bow limbs were layers of different materials like wood, horn and bone.

And yes, no one is shooting a heavy bow quickly or shooting more than a couple sheafs of arrows before becoming exhausted no matter how well trained or how good shape they are in. Trick shooting only works with very very low weight bows.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Well you learn something new every day.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    So the rapid mongol style makes me think those bows must have far less draw weight than a later medieval combat bow would, right? It seems like it'd put a broadhead through a peasant alright, but I can't see a bodkin punching through armor if you can just toss them out like that.

Googling says, they're at about the draw weight of a long bow or more. Possibly ridiculously more, but grain of salt, probably about the same. Maybe a little more because the people who used them weren't starving farmers.

iirc English longbowmen weren't starving farmers if for no other reason than a starving farmer wouldn't really be able to draw a bow with an 80lbs+ draw.

I heard someone talking about draw weight.

Most of the horse bows were sinew backed and could take a LOT of punishment so some of those would be upwards of 60lbs but that's about as much as you'd get at full draw on a bow that size. Typically they'd be closer to 40lbs from what I've seen.

The native american tribes used two different variations on this, the paddle style bow and the short bow (here it's called a sapling bow) and one was for larger game in open field and one was better for horseback or stalking prey in the woods.

The english made one kind of bow. The Longbow. It was a big ass six foot piece of yew that drew at about 100+ lbs and you had to practice with it four hours after Church every week but their entire front line could fire arrows out of that thing for an hour if they had to.

Then they decided to get smart and made a crossbow and even that fucker was like 400lbs of hardwood and steel and needed a crank to load. They actually had pull tabs on castle walls to lock crossbows into so you could pull the string back.

All of this is also dependent on what kind of armor your foes wore, what game you were hunting, and your skill level at arrows.

Making bows was easy once someone figured it out. Making arrows fly straight is still hard.

Because the draw length is so short a 1000 lb draw weight medieval crossbow packs around the same energy as a heavy war bow (so in the 150-200 range). Those big crossbows only pull back about 6 inches compared to 28-30 for a longbow.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    30XX

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

If 12 dwarves and a wizard show up to my house we are dropping molly and fucking.

anyone have any good scholarly sources on the history of mormonism in the US? Or even just the textual history of the book of mormon itself?

The mormons who dropped by last week actually emailed and I'd like to have something to talk about next time besides just the history of christianity in general.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    anyone have any good scholarly sources on the history of mormonism in the US? Or even just the textual history of the book of mormon itself?

The mormons who dropped by last week actually emailed and I'd like to have something to talk about next time besides just the history of christianity in general.

I would jokingly point to the South Park episode because it is actually a decent recap though it makes fun of them.

I don't have a good individual history just stuff I picked up from growing up around them.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I would jokingly point to the South Park episode because it is actually a decent recap though it makes fun of them.

I don't have a good individual history just stuff I picked up from growing up around them.

If someone took the south park episode and properly sourced it with footnotes I'd love those footnotes. Otherwise looking for books or lectures from reliable sources (universities who put stuff online, great courses plus etc...) doesn't need to be free.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Under the Banner of Heaven is fairly easy-to-digest text that covers the history of the Mormon Church along with examining some of the more fundamentalist communities in (as of publication) contemporary America

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

it's... not great!

The point in Endgame where they tried to have a "Girl Power" moment just made me shake my head because it only served to make the lack of female characters more obvious. It was basically a swath of B listers in terms of the franchise. Especially with 2 of it's biggest names pointlessly killed off already.

I mean, yes. But one of my friends who is the mom of a little girl pumped her fist along with her daughter at that moment, so I recognize that it’s NOT for me, even if I think it has the problems that you say. It’s also why I appreciate Ghostbusters 2016 despite its problems... that year, the same daughter wanted to be a Ghostbuster, and got Ghostbuster themed presents and stuff.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    I think the best way to describe Mormonism is “Scientology for Christians”

I grew up with a lot of Mormons and many were and remain the nicest people, but the religion itself operates more or less like a corporation only more nefarious.

The best regarded most accesible history treatment is probably under the banner of heaven by Jon Krakauer. Mormons have an insane history

Wqdwp8l.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

it's... not great!

Phase one and two you have nothing but women as sidekicks or part of ensembles. No one catches a title card. Ditto for minorities and queer folk and obviously none of them have helmed a movie to date.

Halfway through phase three you have Black Panther so I guess we'll look how things look from then on. Two ensembles for both, a shared and an exclusive title card for women. Far From Home is the only movie in the back half that's a white dude front and center

Realistically the Avengers movies are super white dude dominated and the second movie focuses very heavily on the almost all white male og avengers. I get it for story reasons since it's a culmination but it is what it is.

Phase four, from wiki:
    Phase Four will include Black Widow (2021), Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021), Eternals (2021), Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021), Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022), Thor: Love and Thunder (2022), Black Panther II (2022), Captain Marvel 2 (2022), Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2022), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023), and Fantastic Four.[4][5] The phase will feature these films, as well as twelve announced television event series and one special for the streaming service Disney+.[4][5][6] Three additional films for 2023 are also in development.

So much more balanced? The new franchises are minority driven, Guardians especially has gotten to a more balanced cast gender wise at least (putting a person of color on green makeup or prosthetics is great for their resume but its not exactly representation).

Like it's going to be better but I don't think it's at a point where you can call it good yet

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am getting so tired of being unable to dabble with all the fun 3D projects at a humane pace because of all the PC part shortages.

I just want to replace my material form for a digital one so people will judge me by my sultry voice instead of my body or my ideas.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

it's... not great!

TV is so far ahead of film its ridiculous. Or was, we're gettting more POC and women leads, but losing LGBT represenation. The Runaways was so good at this.

Harry Dresden on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

it's... not great!

I mean, yes. But one of my friends who is the mom of a little girl pumped her fist along with her daughter at that moment, so I recognize that it’s NOT for me, even if I think it has the problems that you say. It’s also why I appreciate Ghostbusters 2016 despite its problems... that year, the same daughter wanted to be a Ghostbuster, and got Ghostbuster themed presents and stuff.

Yeah I walked out of Captain Marvel feeling like I’d seen that movie fifteen times already but my wife loved it (I think the 90s riot girl soundtrack didn’t hurt)

She also got fist pumpy at the girl power scene in endgame, and you know even if it felt a little on the nose to me, it wasn’t really for me

Wqdwp8l.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Also it would have been ludicrously easy to get their first LGBT representation in by making Valkyrie explicitly Bi or gay.

New character to the film franchise so no pre established characterization.

Not a super well known character so there's no headwind and oh yeah the actress is openly queer and awesome in the role so seriously how chickenshit do you have to be Disney

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Also it would have been ludicrously easy to get their first LGBT representation in by making Valkyrie explicitly Bi or gay.

New character to the film franchise so no pre established characterization.

Not a super well known character so there's no headwind and oh yeah the actress is openly queer and awesome in the role so seriously how chickenshit do you have to be Disney

My understanding is that the next film addresses this head on and she will indeed be canonically queer

• KanaKana Registered User regular

he's a beautiful cannibal sex monster tho

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.