As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knockout [Chat]

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    oh you guys might like this. Just remembered a vid from a while back where shad did a bunch of testing firing a 100 lb longbow with the arrow on the "wrong" side. And what pros and cons that has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMFx062dpUA

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Also it would have been ludicrously easy to get their first LGBT representation in by making Valkyrie explicitly Bi or gay.

New character to the film franchise so no pre established characterization.

Not a super well known character so there's no headwind and oh yeah the actress is openly queer and awesome in the role so seriously how chickenshit do you have to be Disney

My understanding is that the next film addresses this head on and she will indeed be canonically queer

On the one hand I want to believe them

On the other hand will Disney green light queer content in a movie that they want to make a billion dollars in China?

I'm not so sure

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Also it would have been ludicrously easy to get their first LGBT representation in by making Valkyrie explicitly Bi or gay.

New character to the film franchise so no pre established characterization.

Not a super well known character so there's no headwind and oh yeah the actress is openly queer and awesome in the role so seriously how chickenshit do you have to be Disney
    Disney is always chicken shit with their primary franchises. They’ll experiment a little, but it’s always just dipping the toe in.

• Options
    just ordered Under the Banner of Heaven

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    I like some marvel movies but overall they are really, really bad for representation. The TV shows have been much better but the entire marvel movie franchise has like, what? 2 movies with female leads? 1 with a black lead? 0 with queer leads and 0 with any significant queer characters of any kind.

it's... not great!

TV is so far ahead of film its ridiculous. Or was, we're gettting more POC and women leads, but losing LGBT represenation. The Runaways was so good at this.

I liked the first couple of episodes of the runaways, I guess because they spent a lot of time with a character focus and not so much time with superhero nonsense, but it ended up falling off a really aggressively stupid cliff around the third or fourth ep

I think I made it through two seasons just out of spite and pandemic ennui tho

The gay pairings didn’t feel particularly earned to me, but I guess just their existence in superhero media at all is notable

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I feel very weak today because I got a jar of pickles and was unable to open them

Which is bad enough but also now I can’t snack on pickles until I get home

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I feel very weak today because I got a jar of pickles and was unable to open them

Break the jar of pickles

Ignore all the glass everywhere

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

The salt would just dehydrate you and make you even weaker I’m afraid

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    re: Archery

I still find the overhead load and fire fascinating. I've only really seen it in east asian stuff so I guess it's a style from that region, but who knows with how poorly stuff is represented in media.

Anyway, it's cool.

I personally think the Japanese style of archery, like firearms, gunpowder, and everything else, was made so precise and effective that it became an art form.

I still watch Japanese matchlock displays on youtube.

Cause it's really similar to English style. The only way to pull a bow that heavy was to start high and then lower your aim, this is for a few reasons but primarily it was safety in case you lost your grip.

You see the "rain of arrows" in movies but on the battlefield before that happened there were little single "fwips" followed by a "oh god dammit Larry again!?" more often than people realize.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Imagine testing a bow and not wearing your finest 15th century battalion garb

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I really need to just start an archery club in the back of the farm.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Irond Will wrote: »

The salt would just dehydrate you and make you even weaker I’m afraid

electrolytes are important nerve transport muscle function.
    muscle weakness is a sign of not having enough salt.

He could need that salt.

you know, if he spent the last 4 days in 100 degree weather, in a desert, constantly drinking only water, and not eating for prepared for americans.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Legolas laughs at your human archery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132WIdxvgdo

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So in XCOM 2, it turns out that with silent killer, the chances of reaper detection go up if you shoot a priest to what would be death, but he does stasis

SOMETIMES it turns out that this awakens a group of enemies with a purifier and a MEC III, led by a sectopod

SOMETIMES you're also in range of a pod containing a heavy lancer, a MEC II, and a leader that's... a second sectopod

If your reaper is really far away and all alone and completely in the open because you misunderstood the mechanic, your first soldier going to help might run into three archons and an andromedon

I'll uh

I'll see how this goes

Ironman mode means I live with this now >.>. At least it's avenger defense so I have 12 guys.

• Options
    Legolas laughs at your human archery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132WIdxvgdo

Well Oliver Queen thinks Legolas failed his city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjv-ofKXWuk

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I like some marvel movies but overall they are really, really bad for representation. The TV shows have been much better but the entire marvel movie franchise has like, what? 2 movies with female leads? 1 with a black lead? 0 with queer leads and 0 with any significant queer characters of any kind.

it's... not great!

Phase one and two you have nothing but women as sidekicks or part of ensembles. No one catches a title card. Ditto for minorities and queer folk and obviously none of them have helmed a movie to date.

Halfway through phase three you have Black Panther so I guess we'll look how things look from then on. Two ensembles for both, a shared and an exclusive title card for women. Far From Home is the only movie in the back half that's a white dude front and center

Realistically the Avengers movies are super white dude dominated and the second movie focuses very heavily on the almost all white male og avengers. I get it for story reasons since it's a culmination but it is what it is.

Phase four, from wiki:
    Phase Four will include Black Widow (2021), Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021), Eternals (2021), Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021), Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022), Thor: Love and Thunder (2022), Black Panther II (2022), Captain Marvel 2 (2022), Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2022), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023), and Fantastic Four.[4][5] The phase will feature these films, as well as twelve announced television event series and one special for the streaming service Disney+.[4][5][6] Three additional films for 2023 are also in development.

So much more balanced? The new franchises are minority driven, Guardians especially has gotten to a more balanced cast gender wise at least (putting a person of color on green makeup or prosthetics is great for their resume but its not exactly representation).

Like it's going to be better but I don't think it's at a point where you can call it good yet

Yeah it’s just embarrassing it took a franchise that has so much money and so many movies this long to even consider it

• Options
    I’ve mostly finished Assassin’s Creed: Origins, I’ve cleared all the story missions

Final thoughts: B-

Good:
    - Nice animations
    - Good voice acting
    - Well-developed lead character
    - Attention to historical detail
    - Very helpful fast-travel

Bad:
    - really thin and boring stories
    - clunky, boring combat
    - lack of dynamic cutscenes
    - repetitive af
    - too many weapon type options

Just uncommon:
    - weird gear management (you can’t customize your outfits, but you can upgrade your gloves and accessories)

• Options
    I really need to just start an archery club in the back of the farm.

I’m in

• Options
    Can we all agree that Kate Barton is going to be a much better Hawkeye when they give her the chance?

• Options
    I have three bows under my bed right now.

(I haven't had a chance to build a wall mount in the new cabin yet)

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Do each of you have a major skill you’re working on in life

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

I don’t follow

Example?

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Imagine testing a bow and not wearing your finest 15th century battalion garb

the kind of interesting thing about what he is wearing is that artwork depicting this very real kind of armor (called "brigandine") is what led to the invention of a totally fake kind of armor "studded leather". What he is wearing has a bunch of metal plates held together by being riveted to the cloth covering. That was quite common for a couple hundred years and shows up a lot in artwork. But when some not-so-great scholars see those pics of what looks like something flexible (they thought leather) covered in "studs" (the rivets) they just pulled the idea of studded leather armor out of their ass.

side note: he is wearing it in that vid as he recently got the armor and wanted to see how much it affected his freedom of movement when shooting since a lot of medieval art shows archers wearing stuff like that.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Writing and game development.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Nunchuck skills?

• Options

besides programming for work stuff (cause you can never stop learning that and stay in the game) I've been trying to get back into painting miniatures lately

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Finished FF7:RE
    Right as a ghost started slicing onions in the kitchen.
    Damn those onion slicing ghosts

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Procrastination?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I don't! I'm so much happier for it. I try to get better at many (most?) of the things I do, but the things I do change and I can abandon them at any time.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Writing and game development.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Procrastination?

Nunchuck skills?

I've dabbled in all of these at one point.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    wait no what am I saying I am trying to become a really good ADC and I have been for like 7 years with approximately 0 success ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

I'm learning how much I don't know about cybersecurity.

Playing around with carpentry, 3d modeling and printing, low power electronic, and a bit of mold making, particularly silicone casting.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My main skill is being able to connect ideas, so developing that is basically just nerding out about a wider variety of things and then working with them in my head.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

1FF7k5H.jpg

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    So in XCOM 2, it turns out that with silent killer, the chances of reaper detection go up if you shoot a priest to what would be death, but he does stasis

SOMETIMES it turns out that this awakens a group of enemies with a purifier and a MEC III, led by a sectopod

SOMETIMES you're also in range of a pod containing a heavy lancer, a MEC II, and a leader that's... a second sectopod

If your reaper is really far away and all alone and completely in the open because you misunderstood the mechanic, your first soldier going to help might run into three archons and an andromedon

I'll uh

I'll see how this goes

Ironman mode means I live with this now >.>. At least it's avenger defense so I have 12 guys.

Nope I got shot exactly once, due to a preventable fuckup involving mistiming mind control. What even are tactics, what kind of clownshoes operation am I running.

• Options

I'm in school for CS, but that feels like cheating

I'm practicing the piano a lot, but that's minor

I dunno, not getting murdered by a novel pandemic? I'm pretty good at that!

• Options
    I would like to learn how to play the cello

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Chat today I took a chainsaw to the shrubs/bushes whatevery that are along the fence outback.

Now I need to buy a new shovel to dig out the rest, so I can spend $Texas on these planter boxes

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    the major skill i want to learn is immortality

dumb colleges trying to tell me i can't learn it

i'll show them

• Options
    Chat today I took a chainsaw to the shrubs/bushes whatevery that are along the fence outback.

Now I need to buy a new shovel to dig out the rest, so I can spend $Texas on these planter boxes

Did you track down some hardware for the corners or are you just going to screw them together (which is fine if you are!)

This discussion has been closed.