As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Fucking crazy how sword of the fallen has an 80% played winrate on curve

Hang on, is that number

* if you play SotF on Curve, you win 80% of the time

or

* in 80% of the games this deck wins, SotF is played on curve

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

Hang on, is that number

or

The first one.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I just played and beat five straight Mages with Control Priest.

2x (0) Desperate Prayer
    2x (1) Draconic Studies
    2x (1) Holy Smite
    2x (1) Renew
    1x (2) Condemn (Rank 1)
    2x (2) Insight
    2x (2) Shadow Word: Death
    2x (2) Thrive in the Shadows
    2x (3) Apotheosis
    2x (3) Hysteria
    1x (3) Mindrender Illucia
    2x (3) Palm Reading
    1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
    2x (4) Holy Nova
    1x (4) Xyrella
    1x (5) Ogremancer
    1x (7) Soul Mirror
    1x (9) Malygos the Spellweaver
    1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered

Code: AAECAaKrBAjIvgP70QOO1AO/4AP76AOe6wPU7QO1igQLk7oDr7oD3swD4t4D+98D+OMDmesDrYoEhJ8EhZ8EwZ8EAA==

Technically, C’thun represents a win condition, but mostly it’s “LOL I keep getting rid of all your stuff and healing to full.”

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »

Hang on, is that number

or

The first one.

It's 3 Mad Scientists with Charge.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »

Hang on, is that number

or

The first one.

5j1lec80prrc.png

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    we're in an era where keleseth on 2 looks quaint

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah and people are out here complaining about deck of lunacy and not the uh 2 mana 3 durability weapon that thins your deck by 3 cards and generates absurd pressure for practically free

Libram/Secret Paladin is by far the best deck right now and it is in large part thanks to that card

I predict it going to 2 durability

I also predict balance changes to be announced by this weekend

Beasteh on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I predict it staying at 3 durability and going to 3 or 4 mana.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    3 mana would be sick, then I can run it in Odd instead of Unidentified Maul.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Even Kibler, the most forgiving of streamers with respect to the difficulty of game design, is like:

“How the hell did Refreshing Springwater get printed?”

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Because they ran it in a tempo mage list replete with minions and it was often 4 mana draw 2 or maybe 2 mana draw 2 but no one would run a spells only list that's crazy it couldn't possible be viable.

• Options
    well you need to refund at least 2 mana so that they use their hero power and get one step closer to mordresh

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Part of the issue with the sword is also that the average quality of Paladin secrets right now is very high. Noble Sac is decent, Avenge is very good in a tempo/aggro deck, Galloping Saviour is decent, and Oh My Yogg! is insane. Reckoning is also arguably getting slept on, it's super good but people seem not to have realized that it triggers on all damage, not just face or minion damage.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

Yeah that cards is nuts. I take back any reservations I had about secret pally being viable, with that card at 2 it’s going be around every expansion.
    During reveal season I was skeptical as always about Secret Pally, but as soon as that card was revealed I was like "welp, I guess Secret Pally is gonna be a thing for real this time."

• Options
    Yeah and people are out here complaining about deck of lunacy and not the uh 2 mana 3 durability weapon that thins your deck by 3 cards and generates absurd pressure for practically free
    Excuse me, some of us are bitching about both.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Kibler going 6-1 with Dude Paladin at Legend. Probably early in the expansion drop to not work now, but worth a look if you're interested. Righteous Protector into Caravan is pretty insane value generation.

https://youtu.be/skzJaJ_TiBY
    AAECAZ8FBvy4A4feA5HsA6iKBO6fBMqgBAz7uAPKwQObzQOC3gOE3gOi3gP74wPM6wPK8QOhoATHoATJoAQA

Copied. Thx!

Edit: Named it 'Dude, where's my Carnival'.

every druid deck I've made in the last seven years has been named "drood, where's my car"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm an asshole. I reinstalled simply for Classic just to play Combo Druid, Zoolock, Aggro/Tempo Mage, and Freeze Mage.

Force of Nature+Savage Roar on 9 never felt so good.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I want to spruce this deck up but mages are making hash out of it with their devolving missiles. Any suggestions?

### Custom Hunter
    # Class: Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Animated Broomstick
    # 2x (1) Carrion Studies
    # 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
    # 2x (2) Explosive Trap
    # 1x (2) Freezing Trap
    # 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
    # 2x (2) Manafeeder Panthara
    # 2x (2) Pack Tactics
    # 2x (2) Tame Beast (Rank 1)
    # 2x (3) Barrens Trapper
    # 2x (3) Death's Head Cultist
    # 1x (4) Baron Rivendare
    # 2x (4) Mok'Nathal Lion
    # 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
    # 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
    # 1x (6) Claw Machine
    # 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
    # 2x (8) Jewel of N'Zoth
    #
    AAECAR8GuuEDj+MDqIoErJ8E5J8E0qAEDKK5A6S5A/a6A57LA5XNA/vOA/rhA4PiA5jqA5rsA5XvA+OfBAA=

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    i'm just sitting on my ass waiting for my goddamn Quillboars, mannnn

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I want to spruce this deck up but mages are making hash out of it with their devolving missiles. Any suggestions?

### Custom Hunter
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Carrion Studies
    # 2x (2) Explosive Trap
    # 1x (2) Freezing Trap
    # 2x (2) Pack Tactics
    # 2x (3) Barrens Trapper
    # 1x (4) Baron Rivendare
    # 2x (4) Mok'Nathal Lion
    # 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
    # 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
    # 1x (6) Claw Machine
    # 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
    # 2x (8) Jewel of N'Zoth
    #
    AAECAR8GuuEDj+MDqIoErJ8E5J8E0qAEDKK5A6S5A/a6A57LA5XNA/vOA/rhA4PiA5jqA5rsA5XvA+OfBAA=

My recommendation is to play paladin or mage.

• Options
    sanstodo wrote: »

### Custom Hunter
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Carrion Studies
    # 2x (2) Explosive Trap
    # 1x (2) Freezing Trap
    # 2x (2) Pack Tactics
    # 2x (3) Barrens Trapper
    # 1x (4) Baron Rivendare
    # 2x (4) Mok'Nathal Lion
    # 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
    # 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
    # 1x (6) Claw Machine
    # 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
    # 2x (8) Jewel of N'Zoth
    #

Play Priest! The deck I posted above beats both Mage and Paladin! Well, it beats Secret Aggro Paladin. The Libram Paladins are a harder slog.

KaQhDuP.jpg

One of their last two cards was Penflinger, and I think that the other was probably Hand of A'dal. Between fatigue and attacks, they brought me to 1, and then they ticked over for exact lethal on their turn (or would have, but they conceded). That was my SECOND last boss for Legend. The last boss was a fairly anti-climactic Elemental Shaman; they managed to get me down to 14, but Xyrella in hand from the mulligan and a top-decked Desperate Prayer flipped things around pretty fast.

I really like that Priest deck. It does Priest things, making people's heads explode. With that said, I'm a little uncertain about Mindrender Illucia in the deck. While there have been a few games that I could not have won without her, most games she just sits dead in hand and doesn't contribute. I'd probably cut her for another Condemn if I was to keep tweaking the deck, or possibly even Raise Dead. With so few minions, Raise Dead is incredibly consistent when I get it off of Palm Reading or Renew.

Anyhow, I think that this meta isn't actually all that bad. Paladin and Mage each have at least one card that needs a nerf I think, and I think that Penflinger needs to die if only because of how annoying it is. But overall, there's a pretty decent number of decks that feel like they can do well - I played plenty of Shamans, Rogues, Druids, Warriors, Priests, Demon Hunters, and Hunters during my climb. No Warlocks though, which surprised me a little. Basically, I can think of a lot worse metas; the big problem as I see it is that Paladin feels like it's the same deck that it's been playing for the last year, and Mage feels too random, and plenty of people are on the early season bandwagon to try to climb with those two decks.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »

### Custom Hunter
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Carrion Studies
    # 2x (2) Explosive Trap
    # 1x (2) Freezing Trap
    # 2x (2) Pack Tactics
    # 2x (3) Barrens Trapper
    # 1x (4) Baron Rivendare
    # 2x (4) Mok'Nathal Lion
    # 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
    # 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
    # 1x (6) Claw Machine
    # 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
    # 2x (8) Jewel of N'Zoth
    #

Play Priest! The deck I posted above beats both Mage and Paladin! Well, it beats Secret Aggro Paladin. The Libram Paladins are a harder slog.

KaQhDuP.jpg

One of their last two cards was Penflinger, and I think that the other was probably Hand of A'dal. Between fatigue and attacks, they brought me to 1, and then they ticked over for exact lethal on their turn (or would have, but they conceded). That was my SECOND last boss for Legend. The last boss was a fairly anti-climactic Elemental Shaman; they managed to get me down to 14, but Xyrella in hand from the mulligan and a top-decked Desperate Prayer flipped things around pretty fast.

I really like that Priest deck. It does Priest things, making people's heads explode. With that said, I'm a little uncertain about Mindrender Illucia in the deck. While there have been a few games that I could not have won without her, most games she just sits dead in hand and doesn't contribute. I'd probably cut her for another Condemn if I was to keep tweaking the deck, or possibly even Raise Dead. With so few minions, Raise Dead is incredibly consistent when I get it off of Palm Reading or Renew.

Anyhow, I think that this meta isn't actually all that bad. Paladin and Mage each have at least one card that needs a nerf I think, and I think that Penflinger needs to die if only because of how annoying it is. But overall, there's a pretty decent number of decks that feel like they can do well - I played plenty of Shamans, Rogues, Druids, Warriors, Priests, Demon Hunters, and Hunters during my climb. No Warlocks though, which surprised me a little. Basically, I can think of a lot worse metas; the big problem as I see it is that Paladin feels like it's the same deck that it's been playing for the last year, and Mage feels too random, and plenty of people are on the early season bandwagon to try to climb with those two decks.

Priest is fine. It’s functionally similar to all priest decks tho, plus it doesn’t have the insanity of mage or the silly broken starts of paladin.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    You can watch his stream from the day, going from Plat 5 to Legend.

(jump to 5:00.00 to see the start of the climb, which took just over 4 hours)

Now it's possible the day 1 stuff doesn't work anymore because the meta has shifted, but you might still be able to pick up some tips from his gameplay.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.

I noticed he's playing a different version of the deck than the one posted here. Seems to have Sightless Watchers in place of the Wandmakers. Does he switch up the deck at some point?

Lol, well, his first mage game starts at about 5:10 and involves him misplaying and getting destroyed (ironically he also did a lot of trading here). Off to a good start here for the almighty Kibler.

Looks like Mage 2 shows up at 5:53 and now he's playing Wandmakers (but also Il'ynoth?). He got a very good start, early minion curve into Felscreamer/Inquisitor (but the mage also had the nuts), and he died again.

One hour in and he has the same record against mage with Inquisitor DH as I do! :cool:
    Watched a bit more tonight. Mage #3 shows up at 6:33 and he loses to it, misplaying again (not as blatantly as the first time though).

• Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    My least favourite part of this meta is that they took away all of priest's win conditions and only gave it a control shell as a viable option, but on top of that printed Tickatus so control priest auto-loses to warlock all the time. It's a bit demoralizing to be sure, to have your favourite class be so weak.

• Options
    Problem with priest having a win condition is it then becomes an even worse meta

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    shergak wrote: »
    My least favourite part of this meta is that they took away all of priest's win conditions and only gave it a control shell as a viable option, but on top of that printed Tickatus so control priest auto-loses to warlock all the time. It's a bit demoralizing to be sure, to have your favourite class be so weak.

That's what Shadowform is for! :rotate:

But honestly new Alex is, in many cases, a wincon for control decks. It's just getting there that can sometimes be the issue. But it's 8 points of reach that you might not otherwise have, yeah?

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Russian Warrior

2x (1) Athletic Studies
    2x (1) Stage Dive
    2x (2) Bumper Car
    2x (2) Conditioning (Rank 1)
    2x (2) Crabrider
    1x (2) E.T.C., God of Metal
    2x (2) Parade Leader
    1x (3) Frothing Berserker
    2x (3) Playmaker
    1x (3) Rokara
    2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
    1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
    2x (4) Outrider's Axe
    2x (4) Sword Eater
    1x (5) Overlord Runthak
    1x (5) Ringmaster Whatley
    1x (5) Taelan Fordring
    2x (8) Troublemaker
    1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder

AAECAZ+rBAjA3gPO3gP76AOV7QOoigSqigSwigSNoAQL4swD3c0Dp84Ds94Dtd4Dut4Dwd4DkeQDlugDju0DmO0DAA==

I haven't been able to get a Warlock under 1 health, but it's going toe-to-toe with Mages and beating Paladins all hollow, plus it's a blast to play. Also, Venomous Scorpid may be low-key one of the sleeper cards of the set. Discover a spell attached to a 1/3 poisonous body is pretty neat.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    shergak wrote: »

That's what Shadowform is for! :rotate:

But honestly new Alex is, in many cases, a wincon for control decks. It's just getting there that can sometimes be the issue. But it's 8 points of reach that you might not otherwise have, yeah?

maybe if they hadn't rotated mind blast >:ccc

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    i've faced 9 mages tonight and all 9 had deck of lunacy on 2

• Options

Balance changes to go out early next week with 20.0.2. We'll be targeting some cards in Mage, Paladin, Rogue, and Neutral. Hoping to create more space for experimentation in the early Barrens meta and have a more diverse field of classes. 6 changes in total, details coming soon.
    "Neutral"

Pen Flinger's time?

• Options
    Watchposts, Pen Flinger, and Broom are all neutral cards that could get hit (with Broom being the least likely)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah the Posts are likely targets as well. Now that I notice there are only 6 changes in total, with at least 3 being eaten up by class nerfs, there's no way Broom gets touched.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Now it's possible the day 1 stuff doesn't work anymore because the meta has shifted, but you might still be able to pick up some tips from his gameplay.

I noticed he's playing a different version of the deck than the one posted here. Seems to have Sightless Watchers in place of the Wandmakers. Does he switch up the deck at some point?

Lol, well, his first mage game starts at about 5:10 and involves him misplaying and getting destroyed (ironically he also did a lot of trading here). Off to a good start here for the almighty Kibler.

Looks like Mage 2 shows up at 5:53 and now he's playing Wandmakers (but also Il'ynoth?). He got a very good start, early minion curve into Felscreamer/Inquisitor (but the mage also had the nuts), and he died again.

One hour in and he has the same record against mage with Inquisitor DH as I do! :cool:
    Watched a bit more tonight. Mage #3 shows up at 6:33 and he loses to it, misplaying again (not as blatantly as the first time though).
    At the 8 hour mark now and he is 2-4 against Mages (and has misplayed in most of the games). I'm thinking we just got bamboozled by this deck.

Also seems worth noting how relatively fewer Mages there were in this day 1 meta, and most of them seemed to be playing C'Thun, which I'm not sure is optimal.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

forty on
  • Options

At the 8 hour mark now and he is 2-4 against Mages (and has misplayed in most of the games). I'm thinking we just got bamboozled by this deck.

Also seems worth noting how relatively fewer Mages there were in this day 1 meta, and most of them seemed seemed to be playing C'Thun, which I'm not sure is optimal.

I think that there's general agreement that C'Thun is bad in Spell Mage; if nothing else, it makes it harder to get Deck of Lunacy.

• Options
    C'thun the shattered is a trap

I've started playing netherwind portal and a single cone of cold for the mirror/to shore up aggro

Mask of C'thun is a two of

• Options
    C'thun the shattered is a trap

I've started playing netherwind portal and a single cone of cold for the mirror/to shore up aggro

Nagrand Slam is a two of

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Also seems worth noting how relatively fewer Mages there were in this day 1 meta, and most of them seemed seemed to be playing C'Thun, which I'm not sure is optimal.
    8:30 and he just lost to another Mage. 2-5 now. Elvenshae and I were duped!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

8:30 and he just lost to another Mage. 2-5 now. Elvenshae and I were duped!

I think at the end he said he went 50/50 against Mages. Regardless, it was day 1 and nothing had really stuck yet. Probably best to stop watching, unless you find it entertaining.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Play Priest or that Warrior deck I posted a page back. It works great.

Rattlegore works great versus Warlock by the way.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!