As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knockout [Chat]

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have also been relearning how to tell people off when they mistake my gentle demeanor and desire to let people have their say for being a passive victim they can abuse.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    So in XCOM 2, it turns out that with silent killer, the chances of reaper detection go up if you shoot a priest to what would be death, but he does stasis

SOMETIMES it turns out that this awakens a group of enemies with a purifier and a MEC III, led by a sectopod

SOMETIMES you're also in range of a pod containing a heavy lancer, a MEC II, and a leader that's... a second sectopod

If your reaper is really far away and all alone and completely in the open because you misunderstood the mechanic, your first soldier going to help might run into three archons and an andromedon

I'll uh

I'll see how this goes

Ironman mode means I live with this now >.>. At least it's avenger defense so I have 12 guys.

Nope I got shot exactly once, due to a preventable fuckup involving mistiming mind control. What even are tactics, what kind of clownshoes operation am I running.

you should for sure be playing on 3 (commander or whatever), although it's probably satisfying/fun to play on 2

Ironman commander feels beatable but also takes effort and you will likely have to restart a few times (I got to a stable point at the end where I'd killed all the chosen, or maybe 2 of the chosen, but then I for whatever reason just stopped playing rather than seeing out the campiagn--I think cause lfx wrapped up his ironman commander run before I did and I didn't want to play xcom alone)

I feel like the avenger defense mission is one of the ones where you can definitely lose, since you have less of a sense for how many pods there will be and what will be in them

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Chat today I took a chainsaw to the shrubs/bushes whatevery that are along the fence outback.

Now I need to buy a new shovel to dig out the rest, so I can spend $Texas on these planter boxes

Did you track down some hardware for the corners or are you just going to screw them together (which is fine if you are!)

Just going to screw the corners together, we found a YT video of a design we liked were going with that.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So in XCOM 2, it turns out that with silent killer, the chances of reaper detection go up if you shoot a priest to what would be death, but he does stasis

SOMETIMES it turns out that this awakens a group of enemies with a purifier and a MEC III, led by a sectopod

SOMETIMES you're also in range of a pod containing a heavy lancer, a MEC II, and a leader that's... a second sectopod

If your reaper is really far away and all alone and completely in the open because you misunderstood the mechanic, your first soldier going to help might run into three archons and an andromedon

I'll uh

I'll see how this goes

Ironman mode means I live with this now >.>. At least it's avenger defense so I have 12 guys.

Nope I got shot exactly once, due to a preventable fuckup involving mistiming mind control. What even are tactics, what kind of clownshoes operation am I running.
    Tactics are for suckers who didn't bring enough grenades.

• Options
    damnit shiv now I want to play xcom wotc

I should start an ironman campaign RIGHT NOW at 1 AM on a worknight

wait no I should not do that!

• Options
    Also damn that Glow Up on Mass Effect 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-7-2dL0A0

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    21st bought me XCOM 2 a few months back and I still need to get around to playing it because I've already got a ridiculous pileup of games I need to finish. EU/W is one of my favorite games of all time, I really need to get to 2.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Also damn that Glow Up on Mass Effect 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-7-2dL0A0

Its impressive. I was struck by how much better the original me1 (pre glow up) looks than Andromeda. It really wasnt nostalgia me1 really looked better.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Do each of you have a major skill you’re working on in life

The one inch punch

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    21st bought me XCOM 2 a few months back and I still need to get around to playing it because I've already got a ridiculous pileup of games I need to finish. EU/W is one of my favorite games of all time, I really need to get to 2.

it's one of my favorite games of all time, especially with WotC
    it is just...basically perfect at doing what it wants to do. Like I cannot point at an element of the game I'd like to change (ok fine the writing is dumb, but it's totally serviceable and also not important to the game)

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

I don’t follow

Example?

I guess I wasn’t thinking of a specific category of skill. It has struck me recently, though, how helpful it is for my mental health to be working towards a skill (or to be honing one I possess). I find that a lot of ‘grand’ skills (playing an instrument, speaking a language, running long distances etc) can be so broad that it’s hard to mile-stick progress and thus derive emotional satisfaction along your journey. But if you do manage to break it into smaller checkpoints (or it’s a more specific, focused skill like painting miniatures), I have personally generated a lot of mental wellness from such pursuits

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Finally, an AI to help you not say The Gamer Word

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    It you uncheck the n-word toggle, it just deletes the entire steamapps folder without notice.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

I don’t follow

Example?

I guess I wasn’t thinking of a specific category of skill. It has struck me recently, though, how helpful it is for my mental health to be working towards a skill (or to be honing one I possess). I find that a lot of ‘grand’ skills (playing an instrument, speaking a language, running long distances etc) can be so broad that it’s hard to mile-stick progress and thus derive emotional satisfaction along your journey. But if you do manage to break it into smaller checkpoints (or it’s a more specific, focused skill like painting miniatures), I have personally generated a lot of mental wellness from such pursuits

painting minis is a weird kind of mental health baromoeter for me. For whatever reason when my depression is bad I just cannot bring myself to do it. When I'm doing better I can. I was doing a lot better recently until a couple weeks ago I fucked up something with my sciatic nerve in my left side. Made it really painful to sit in a chair which made work and most things I like doing really hard. And feeling like I'm doing poorly at work is one of the main triggers for depression for me. But its getting better now. Been doing a lot of exercises the physical therapist gave me.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    I'd really appreciate automatic bleeping. If you're doing something a little more "family friendly" and partying up with viewers it removes risk, allows you to use in-game voice chat with randoms at ease, etc. Those levers are something else, though.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm morbidly curious about all the "variations". How many they came up with. Also, how they came up with them. Whose job it was to sit down and figure out just how many ways you could say that word. Did they go around the office asking for help. Did there need to be a company-wide announcement, Bill is going to be compiling a super offensive list, please stop reporting him to HR.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    When I need an outlet I usually draw. I'm still mediocre at it after all these years but it still feels good.

• Options
    I'm morbidly curious about all the "variations". How many they came up with. Also, how they came up with them. Whose job it was to sit down and figure out just how many ways you could say that word. Did they go around the office asking for help. Did there need to be a company-wide announcement, Bill is going to be compiling a super offensive list, please stop reporting him to HR.

603330852_4F4PP-L.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

once I worked on a natural language processing project where people were looking for possible HR violations among other stuff, and the people on another contractor team were doing a regex/search-based solution and compiled a list of racial slurs and sexually charged terms to search for
    it was pretty funny to read

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    butts

Tumin on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

I don’t follow

Example?

Yeah I should probably try to be more proactive with this kind of thing...I’ve had several knitting projects “in progress” for over a year because I just never have the desire to work on them instead of doing literally anything else.

I’ve tried to get a few rows each day but I’m also beginning to think I’ve either developed ADHD in middle age, or i always had it but I was never diagnosed because I didn’t exhibit any of the behaviors that typically get a kid looked at for a diagnosis.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

If they didn't consult linguists then they're going to have a bad time.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The Avalanches finally put up for preorder the four LP deluxe reissue of Since I Left You they've been teasing for half a decade. Its $64. The email arrived at 7:45 tonight. By 8 they had sold out. The pre orders are already on ebay for $250+...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Biggest issue is they can't detect the difference between talking about, say, the Fag Rag, and calling someone that.

• Options
    this 3 part series about the battle of midway is one of the best war documentaries I've ever seen. because of the effort made to focus on exactly what was known to each side and when. to get an idea of how and why the commanders made the decisions they did based on what was known at the time rather than by perfect hindsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Biggest issue is they can't detect the difference between talking about, say, the Fag Rag, and calling someone that.

there are nlp techniques that can tell by incorporating surrounding context, but they require a lot of training data, and a simple search/fuzzy match will certainly not do it

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

once I worked on a natural language processing project where people were looking for possible HR violations among other stuff, and the people on another contractor team were doing a regex/search-based solution and compiled a list of racial slurs and sexually charged terms to search for
    it was pretty funny to read

This seems like it's something that could get very awkward very fast when one of the team is suspiciously good at coming up with slurs.

If there was ever a time to sandbag at work, it's the "say all the slurs you can think of" meeting.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    You present the list to the team lead and they're like "You all left out..." and proceeds to rattle off slurs like a racist thesaurus.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Been reading about covid vaccine rollout in the area

man there is some contention on local facebook that is I guess the way to say it is people trying to be woke and having their heart in the right place but at the same time like man that is a minefield NO ONE should wade into save that shit for statisticians, doctors and politicians.

• Options
    You present the list to the team lead and they're like "You all left out..." and proceeds to rattle off slurs like a racist thesaurus.

Slurs against groups you have never ever heard of

• Options
    Incidentally the Racist Thesaurus was part of a three volume set sold door to door in the 60s that also included The Whitest Dictionary Ever and Time-Lifes Kitchens and Bathrooms

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Three Houses has a staggering number of bars to fill up

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    "Peckerwood is a slur? Who the hell has ever used that in decades outside of using it to refer to their dick?"
    "No, we are not banning the words Oreo, Pepsi, toad, and twinkie"

Couscous on
  • Options
    eheheheh

wood

• Options
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    hunting monsters

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

And compiling the racist thesaurus

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

getting mad at video games

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Finally, an AI to help you not say The Gamer Word

I might have woke up the neighbors with laughter.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.