As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm in a DOODLIN' Mood

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    wd4o3i9l4tka.jpg

"Hyuuuuuuuuk I'm an abomination unto gawrsh."

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    What’s that made in? And is it cursed for everyone now?

• Options
    What’s that made in? And is it cursed for everyone now?

Zbrush was cursed when I got there.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    95pw5mekhfpt.jpg

Doodle of a Tortle bartender for a DnD campaign I'm running. She likes to collect wigs.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase/

Hey folks clipstudiopaint is doing their 50% off sale again if anyone wants to get it

@Tallahasseeriel

Peas on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey thanks for pointing it out to me! I just got Corel Painter '19 recently on humble though so I'm set at the moment trying to learn it I think. I like that the brush acceleration helps with my lines because there is less lag.

I do gotta practice more though still.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Drawing WITHOUT Imagination - When You Can't Visualize ANYTHING 24:39
    https://youtu.be/LWgXSxxEjgs

edit:
    Have a picture of a car which took me forever to sketch from a photo
    ydwxs8o1fbik.png

Peas on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I haven't been doing as much drawing lately as I'd like to, but here's a new OC I doodled last night

sn9ppkw6bzci.png

• Options
    How to render digital art using layers - BRUSHES included - Beginner friendly tutorial 18:18
    https://youtu.be/sJoJEyQiGxw

• Options
    5iubimjyku48.gif

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I drew Megaera Hadesgame in the Sailor Moon style. This is way better than I could have done in junior high.

• Options
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    How to render digital art using layers - BRUSHES included - Beginner friendly tutorial 18:18
    https://youtu.be/sJoJEyQiGxw

Huh...it's rare that I see a Marco Bucci video I disagree with but I've found that there are better more efficient workflows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvng0oPkNy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13CUb2deCmM

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Did my best to whip up a card to send along with my Ma's present for Mother's Day:

6rbadbkqthz3.jpg

We had originally planned a family trip to Hawaii last year, but that was canceled due to, ya know. She was really disappointed, and had been looking forward to it for years. We've rescheduled for after everyone is fully vaccinated, so I thought I'd make this Hawaii themed.

Edit: Looking at this again, I'm thinking there are just too many colors for a printed card. Probably gonna start the coloring process over again. Ugggghhh I'm so terrible at coloring! Too many choices!!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Bubster WolfBubster Wolf Registered User regular
    Color is hard, I feel you! Love the design of the two animals, they have a good expressions and gesture.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hey Doodle Thread, what're you doing all the way on page 5?

What've you been up to recently?

Here's some cat paintings.

eckbm8si3rcd.png
    46x7bz7zr2wi.png

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I think I might set myself a little goal this summer.

Once I get some new pencils I'm going to try and do 3 pages of practice drawing every weekday and see if I improve any by autumn.

That reminds me. Anyone here recommend a good workhorse pencil brand that isn't too expensive to get a full 12 of? I actually kinda want to get a backup set too.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    upsnjt2j860y.png
    Got an iPad and Procreate. Time to doodle.

This is my friend's cat, i wanted to cheer her up some. :)

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I think I might set myself a little goal this summer.

Once I get some new pencils I'm going to try and do 3 pages of practice drawing every weekday and see if I improve any by autumn.

That reminds me. Anyone here recommend a good workhorse pencil brand that isn't too expensive to get a full 12 of? I actually kinda want to get a backup set too.

personally i love palomino blackwings, but those are on the pricier side, like $25 for 12

staedtler mars and faber-castell are both solid brands you can find around $10-15 for a set

you could also get a mechanical pencil and a variety of lead refills, i mainly use just basic pentel leads

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    My best mechanical pencil is a one of those Uni auto extending ones. I wonder if they make good leads for those.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    You should use more than that one shape drawing brush in Krita, you might say.

Nay. Nay, never.

53671s3xwbne.png
    5ib00qckkidh.png

• Options
    Hey y'all

I started breaking some references down into shapes on my computer but I was just doing it over the original reference photo? You think that's cool until I feel comfortable making the basic shapes to start trying to free hand it by eye a little more? Mainly because it's easy to trace a bit I'm digital but also I figure I can start doing more of my by eye stuff on traditional.

I just kinda want to get better at the human body first then heads and faces then focus in on details like hands and stuff.

Eventually I want to move from lines into digital painting though and that's where I think it'll probably be really hard. But even now it's been a really big block trying to learn how to use the tablet. I've gotten rusty at using pencils at this point because I don't practice with those enough even because I don't won't to neglect digital but the tablet is frustrating me so I've just went like a year without solid practice.

So I think with my plan of knocking the rust off with my new pencils I ordered (I went with juggs suggestion because the leads come in different hardnesses which is really useful for me, usually a 4h to hb kinda guy) would also go good with more digital practice too.

Main thing is still I need more inspiration and references. What I need is to visit the art museum soon and start looking up others peoples digital art to try to learn from.

• Options
    omxafCc.jpg

I've been playing Dishonored recently...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tried something different with someone i'm used to.

9ybzvsxw6ggq.png

and now I kind of want to get that shade of lipstick.

• Options

3gwuodngrv1w.png

It’s true!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Hey y'all

I started breaking some references down into shapes on my computer but I was just doing it over the original reference photo? You think that's cool until I feel comfortable making the basic shapes to start trying to free hand it by eye a little more? Mainly because it's easy to trace a bit I'm digital but also I figure I can start doing more of my by eye stuff on traditional.

I just kinda want to get better at the human body first then heads and faces then focus in on details like hands and stuff.

Eventually I want to move from lines into digital painting though and that's where I think it'll probably be really hard. But even now it's been a really big block trying to learn how to use the tablet. I've gotten rusty at using pencils at this point because I don't practice with those enough even because I don't won't to neglect digital but the tablet is frustrating me so I've just went like a year without solid practice.

So I think with my plan of knocking the rust off with my new pencils I ordered (I went with juggs suggestion because the leads come in different hardnesses which is really useful for me, usually a 4h to hb kinda guy) would also go good with more digital practice too.

Main thing is still I need more inspiration and references. What I need is to visit the art museum soon and start looking up others peoples digital art to try to learn from.

@Tallahasseeriel
    As a deadbeat artist myself you have to start somewhere, just grab something and go at it. Do whatever you want if you think it helps

I challenge you to draw/paint anything and post it here

Peas on
  • Options
    Okay I was playing around with my tablet for a while trying to redo/trace a thing I doodles a while back

I'm really embarrassed because I think the digital one looks like crap compared to the already pretty crappy original.
    orignal

drumagfuf1z7.jpg

digital

0bnws60sqxly.jpg

• Options
    Okay I was playing around with my tablet for a while trying to redo/trace a thing I doodles a while back

I'm really embarrassed because I think the digital one looks like crap compared to the already pretty crappy original.
    orignal

drumagfuf1z7.jpg

digital

0bnws60sqxly.jpg

I’m no expert by any means. BUT. You gotta be kinder to yourself. No one starts off amazing. Keep at it. Keep working. Get experience and confidence. You can do it.

• Options
    I suppose

I just get easily frustrated with myself for not getting what I want on the page

Or not practicing enough because my silly brain

• Options
    Lineart not turning out nearly as good as your sketch is a common problem.

The best thing I can suggest is to vary the thickness of the lines. Lineart is definitely one of those things that seems like it should be really easy but actually takes quite a bit of practice.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    @Tallahasseeriel

It seems like you already have a good idea of what you wanted in your drawing, it's just a matter of time and execution. Don't need to hide your drawing under the spoilers too, it's

My next challenge is for you to create a thread in the art forums! Other than showcasing your art it's lowkey a good place to share your personal thoughts and record your progress/journey over time. There is not a lot of people hanging out there now but they are generally pretty chill and supportive

I don't have much to offer in terms of constructive art advice but working over 1k resolution with 300dpi and turning on pen pressure might make it easier to draw better lines, hope it helps a little. It's going to feel off for quite a while drawing on a tablet, I don't think there's anything 1:1 out there as of now

Peas on
  • Options
    It's partly getting used to the tools still. Digital is super not like real pencil on paper for me. So used to seeing exactly where my pencil his the page and getting immediate feedback.

I've also been using corel's real pencil brushes because I'm not really sure what all the others do yet.

At least Corel is more responsive than Krita was.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    If you are talking about immediate feedback, do you mean that your lines are actually dragging/lagging behind your physical movements? If that's so something is off then, I would go insane if that happens when I draw

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If so it's like by milliseconds, and it was worse in Krita, but that's still slower than graphite on paper.

But it's enough to throw me off. Especially since my hand is down and I'm looking up at a screen.

My computer isn't like super new either (Sandy bridge i5 and a gtx 970ti but 16gigs of RAM) but that shouldn't make an enormous difference depending on what I'm doing you'd think. Maybe I need to dig around in settings some more. Or maybe it's the huion tablet I have.

Perhaps I should not have music going on my second monitor...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Sounds like something is going silly somewhere.

I don't have those sort of response issues in Krita with a computer from 2014 and an Intuos from 2010.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I mean parts of my computer like my cpu are from like 2011 or so but yeah. Maybe. It does seem more responsive on my newer laptop. But the screen is so much smaller it's hard to do art on and my monitor doesn't do HDMI.

Gosh I don't even know where to dig to look for problems. But maybe that's a big part of why I am having so much trouble adjusting to digital.

Just so ya know I get the ever so slight lag regardless of any line stabilizer I use or not.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Nothing much I could think off as of now:

Tablet firmware needs to be updated
    Working at super high resolutions beyond what the computer could handle
    Line stabilizer feature turned on (it creates a trailing sensation)
    Wireless connection?

Maybe you can open up microsoft paint and see if your lines are still lagging

Peas on
  • Options
    g66t3j3b38l3.png
    I’m drawing my ideal self a lot more lately...

• Options
    Ok I just looked into some canvas size stuff for one, made it a little smaller. then I gave the tablet admin privileges.

Then I reinstalled krita and opened it up and it's running way better with a canvas in us letter 300dpi default...

Then I checked the corel performance settings again and noticed this...

biykbijw92qo.png

woopsy doodle