As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oh, I just remembered another thing about that project, how they kept trying to put pressure on us to change our estimates to finish before re-prioritisation and how I basically had to go and do a 'please explain' to justify why we were taking longer as all the other teams were going to finish according to the project's preferred deadline, then sit there as they singled us out for being "the team dragging the whole project out".

Guess how many other teams managed to hit their wildly optimistic pressured deadlines. Go on, guess.

Guess which team is (or was, I guess) exactly where they said they would be?

*flip the bird with both hands and do a burnout into the horizon.gif*

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Oh, I just remembered another thing about that project, how they kept trying to put pressure on us to change our estimates to finish before re-prioritisation and how I basically had to go and do a 'please explain' to justify why we were taking longer as all the other teams were going to finish according to the project's preferred deadline, then sit there as they singled us out for being "the team dragging the whole project out".

Guess how many other teams managed to hit their wildly optimistic pressured deadlines. Go on, guess.

I was starting to write that an explicit priority system seems setup for perverse incentives and gaming the system, but then I remembered the alternative is just "what boss says goes" and I know that's also just a game, at least yours has rules written down

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So I work for AWS now. And I really like it!

It’s been a little over 2 months now. Each day I expect the other shoe to drop, the shoe full of corporate BS and nightmares.

But it hasn’t yet? Dare I dream it never will?

But for now I just get to work with cool tech and smart people to solve problems for other people, and that’s nice.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

I was starting to write that an explicit priority system seems setup for perverse incentives and gaming the system, but then I remembered the alternative is just "what boss says goes" and I know that's also just a game, at least yours has rules written down

It's known as the hippo or "Highest Paid Person Present" rule. It's a pain in the ass.

Re: AWS - likely is good, probably won't start to suck until AWS starts to contract or someone gets "efficiency" in mind, which is kind of out the window given the money printing AWS does. Really the biggest current risk is all the anti-union BS as Amazon PR actively lying to people is a first compared to history.

Also for the love of god stop nesting JSON so damned much.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Still doesn't help you when as an org it's all about that schedule and whichever team blinks first loses.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really it was nice to paint again but waking up and realizing it was Wednesday was not fun as I have to deal with work knowing on the weekend I can decompress and paint again

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

It's known as the hippo or "Highest Paid Person Present" rule. It's a pain in the ass.

It's not a pain in the ass if you're the hippo!

I dread the day they make me come up with some kind of system instead of just making my own prioritization choices each sprint as I please.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Interview went fairly well with Spinlaunch although not flawless. I would like to think I did well enough to be presented with an offer but we shall see. I got a verbal offer tonight with a construction 3d printing company and it's a little underwhelming to be honest. It's a $5k paycut but with $100k in stock options, which are hard for me to not view as funny money. Also, it's onsite required in El Segundo which is so much more expensive than where I live now (Houston). The technology seems cool, they really want me, and they have potential but damn, I'd be living on ramen noodles out there.

In further soul crushing but I'm happy for them news. One of my friends just got a job offer from facebook and...well...again I'm happy for them and they definitely are a good person worth the work and effort they put into their career and family. Hearing what they're getting for a signing bonus that's equivalent to 6 months of my regular salary is just...fucking...fuck. I'm going to be working until I die at this rate and I don't know how to process that right now.

I know I shouldn't let myself dwell on it, but good lord the universe really likes to trigger the debbie downer within me at the worst possible times. So I just got done dealing with a really stressful customer case that's been eating me up for the past 3 days. I'm already in a crummy mood as a result and my same friend just gave me the heads up his facebook offer now has been upgraded and his new signing bonus is worth 14 months of my regular Salary and I am just a few minutes away from raiding my liquor cabinet in the middle of the workday. Again, I am legit happy for him and he definitely deserves the money but fuck's sake it just strips out any motivation I have any more for anything.

Facebook/Google/Startup money are all very big, but are also explictily trying to paper over the idea that they will suck you dry and leave the husk, and in the startups case may also leave you in the building as it burns down around everyone. So chutes and ladders, and (no offense to anyone who takes that bet, I know cash alleviates a LOT of problems) I have trouble imagining going to work for facebook and feeling terribly good about what I'm doing with my time and influence on this earth.
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I dread the day they make me come up with some kind of system instead of just making my own prioritization choices each sprint as I please.

I did have a great moment the other day of hearing "so let us consult with our SME and get back to you" *To myself* "Oh huh, wonder what a sme is oh wait why are meetings appearing for me? Oh god it's me, I'm the SME, what the fuck is a SME?!" (subject matter expert, though I now have a little pic of Smee from peter pan up on my desk) Still super wild and scary to be "the person" for various things, especially in science. "I can promise you this is my best recommendation, I also promise no one in the world knows if it's going to work though." Which is kind of nice I guess, you always get the out of "so the team did their job excellently, however mother nature has answered, and they say "no.""

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

I did have a great moment the other day of hearing "so let us consult with our SME and get back to you" *To myself* "Oh huh, wonder what a sme is oh wait why are meetings appearing for me? Oh god it's me, I'm the SME, what the fuck is a SME?!" (subject matter expert, though I now have a little pic of Smee from peter pan up on my desk) Still super wild and scary to be "the person" for various things, especially in science. "I can promise you this is my best recommendation, I also promise no one in the world knows if it's going to work though." Which is kind of nice I guess, you always get the out of "so the team did their job excellently, however mother nature has answered, and they say "no.""
    During a meeting, project manager points and says "Oh our optics SME can answer that." I actually looked behind me excited to see we finally got someone on the team who knew what they were doing.
    There was no one behind me.

Thro wrote: »

During a meeting, project manager points and says "Oh our optics SME can answer that." I actually looked behind me excited to see we finally got someone on the team who knew what they were doing.

Turk, your dissertation involved RNAseq right?

Well, technically...

Good, we want to do this with too few samples, don't want to spend too much, and want everything out of it.

Well actually I am qualified enough for this, you are very unlikely to get anything you want doing it that way, and the right way to do it will cost $Texas.

Hmm, but you are saying there is a chance?

I'll do it if you get on this email chain where I tell you it may lead to literally nothing and you approve it anyway....

Dynagrip wrote: »
    Interview went fairly well with Spinlaunch although not flawless. I would like to think I did well enough to be presented with an offer but we shall see. I got a verbal offer tonight with a construction 3d printing company and it's a little underwhelming to be honest. It's a $5k paycut but with $100k in stock options, which are hard for me to not view as funny money. Also, it's onsite required in El Segundo which is so much more expensive than where I live now (Houston). The technology seems cool, they really want me, and they have potential but damn, I'd be living on ramen noodles out there.

Let me know if you can get a solid answer to the question "when exactly, while I am working for you, would I NOT have non-public material information?" Because everyone in legal I've talked to squirms like hell at that, and dude, if you want to put the fear of god in me about insider trading you need to tell me when I can sell the thing that I own. It's not a collectors item, it's a lottery ticket.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The night before last it was very noisy and windy and also my room was too warm, so I ended up sleeping for three hours, being awake for three hours in the middle of the night, and then getting an additional two hours of bad sleep just before dawn. Happily, it was my day off and so nobody cared that I was a zombie.

Last night the wind had calmed down and my room was like 60 degrees, so I slept for nine and a half hours until my alarm clock went off, which is an hour later than I usually wake up and is strictly an emergency measure.

Now I'm at work and it feels like my brain is running on the wrong voltage. Also there may or may not be ants in my skull, or possibly that last cup of coffee was just a mistake.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Has anyone here used Monday.com?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I can go to sleep anywhere under any thing
    Thanks Marine Corps!

Sadly I had to frozen by myself again but I got to witness I think they offered a supervisor job to someone who is buddy/buddy with a supervisor at work
    I know I will never be offered that position again because when they can use and abuse me because I am dependable and hard working compared to the duds they also have

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

It's really not hard!

What is our strategic goal? How are we getting there? What stuff gets us closest first? What's used most? What's generated the most value/engagement/widget sales?

That's really it. Stuff like fist of five business value is just Hippo with lipstick as everyone will agree with the boss's value assessment.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

My favorite right now is when the SME (smee) is Me, and I say something that Director #1 doesn't like because 1) from a purely technical perspective I'm right, but 2) politically it means him and his team fucked up, so he likes to pretend I'm not the SME, and then quickly deflect.

I'm always amazed at the unearned bravado of people that worked on/were in charge of products/projects that lost the company money when those products/projects should have propelled the balance sheet 300% or more upwards.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

My favorite right now is when the SME (smee) is Me, and I say something that Director #1 doesn't like because 1) from a purely technical perspective I'm right, but 2) politically it means him and his team fucked up, so he likes to pretend I'm not the SME, and then quickly deflect.

I'm always amazed at the unearned bravado of people that worked on/were in charge of products/projects that lost the company money when those products/projects should have propelled the balance sheet 300% or more upwards.

People who fail upwards do not like being told they are failing upwards. They like to imagine they are reverse succeeding upside down down.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    We switched brands and vendors for Staff laptops last year in May.

This year one of the ones I got for my teachers broke and it wasn't covered by warranty. I noticed there was no procedure for how to get this fixed, no direction as to who was the approved repair vendor or where I could get parts from or anything. So I pointed this out and asked.

I got lots of answers and was generally told "Use the the vendor we have for Warranty repairs, unless you don't have an account in their system (I didn't) then just send it back to the brand repair depot and pay the bill.

So I did that, but two days after I shipped it out it became "We got everybody accounts on the warranty repair vendor app, use them for non-warranty repairs also."

Then I got yelled at by like 4 different departments in the district, all with my supervisors and managers and manager's managers CC'd yelling at me for doing the wrong thing and they weren't going to approve the repair invoice.

If I have to say "I'm sorry I did exactly what you told me to do when I asked and it was done before the policy changed." in a reply-all one more time I might start getting stabby.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ok I know y'all are on pins and needles for this update, I am too believe me

So the creative director said he was gonna send me an offer yesterday, but instead he emailed me saying the company owner wanted to meet me. So that happened just now.

And I'm back to being anxious.
    It wasn't a BAD meeting at all, I feel like I got my good points across and sold myself well, and the CD spent the whole time talking me up. But I inherently distrust company owners and he was just SO hard to read. I'm still confident I'll get the job, and it seemed like he just wanted to meet me to put his *owner stamp of approval* on it all, but UGH.

At least the great mystery is solved, and the new position appeared because the team has two designer positions, the one that was filled by someone else came from a retirement, and just as they signed on the new person, the other designer gave notice. So it's a backfill, but they're using the big change in personnel to change things up, shuffle responsibilities and hopefully make things run smoother and better, and I feel like I can really help in that respect.

Anyway the CD said he's gonna try to get back to me today or tomorrow at the latest and me know what's up but I JUST WANT THIS TO BE DONE.

Two days in a row I have to do Frozen by myself and dairy gets 4 people
    All that says to me is my managers feel they know I can do it by myself and the people they put in dairy need that help as they suck

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    All that says to me is my managers feel they know I can do it by myself and the people they put in dairy need that help as they suck
    They know you'll break yourself for the company, so they will let you do it.

sig.gif
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    They know you'll break yourself for the company, so they will let you do it.

that means the zone should be 1/4th complete when you're done

zkHcp.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Walk out and go to the doctors office immediately

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Guy: "Hey we got an error on this update to your system"

Me: "Well, I'm no expert on the API but since the expert is gone until Monday I'll look at it. From the log I can see that two systems updated the same row at the same time, so one of the transactions failed and it rolled back all the changes from that system."

Guy: "No, my system doesn't update that row. But I see here that another system pushed an update at the exact same time, maybe there could be an issue there?"

Really wish Teams had muted my friday afternoon notificiations like I told it to, because I didn't need to end the week being furious.

The bad thing is one manager makes fun of the fact even though he is almost half my age he cannot do what I do :bigfrown:

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The bad thing is one manager makes fun of the fact even though he is almost half my age he cannot do what I do :bigfrown:

He probably physically could, but he won't

And you shouldn't either

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I had a constructive heart to heart wherein I explained that reports can not be more accurate than the data provided, nor can they be completed prior it said data being provided. Me being the guy that understands 'spreadsheets' does not in fact empower me to violate the laws of entropy or space-time.

The learning I have taken from this is that things that are obvious to me, such as the above, are not always obvious to others, and when they ask "can you fix it?" after I've told them that the data has simply not been provided, they're interacting with technology as magic.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I had a constructive heart to heart wherein I explained that reports can not be more accurate than the data provided, nor can they be completed prior it said data being provided. Me being the guy that understands 'spreadsheets' does not in fact empower me to violate the laws of entropy or space-time.

The learning I have taken from this is that things that are obvious to me, such as the above, are not always obvious to others, and when they ask "can you fix it?" after I've told them that the data has simply not been provided, they're interacting with technology as magic.

This has been my experience working with the people that create dashboards and then report based on the dashboards.

It's all magic. Numbers go down. Down numbers bad. Make numbers go up.

:mad:

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    So my ex boss is acting like my boss still and just threatened that my job may be on the line if I don't work all day today to get the company tax accountant what he needs.

I'm an engineer, I was not hired to do the company books for the first six months of last year when I wasn't employed by this company. I am also not trained in this accounting software.

As best as I can tell not all of the bills, payroll, and invoices were reconciled for the first 6 months.

Weee

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife had an interview on Monday. The position isn't amazing, and the pay is still low, but its a raise from where she is now, and it could have growth potential and is closer to her career goal then she is doing now. They want to schedule an interview with the CFO and her for either later today or Monday, so it seems like she made into the next round.

V1m wrote: »

You had this coming. Most of the stuff spreadsheet people do looks like magic to the uninitiated, now you're being asked to put your mana where your mouth is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Fuck, my employer has hosted a course on face profiling. D: So fucking disappointing. Gonna go and pick a fight after I've talked with my union rep.

Aldo wrote: »
    Fuck, my employer has hosted a course on face profiling. D: So fucking disappointing. Gonna go and pick a fight after I've talked with my union rep.

What does this mean?

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

What does this mean?

I THINK it's bullshit like "You have these facial features therefore you have these personality traits that we like. This other person has these other facial features and therefore has perverse and degenerate personality flaws."

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    #pipe wrote: »
    Let's

Fucking

GO

JOB OFFER BAYBEE

Gonna take the weekend to think it over, I assume?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Let's

Fucking

GO

JOB OFFER BAYBEE

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

expendable wrote: »

What does this mean?

I THINK it's bullshit like "You have these facial features therefore you have these personality traits that we like. This other person has these other facial features and therefore has perverse and degenerate personality flaws."

9bito3r4obd3.png

Ah, yes. The four personality types.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    expendable wrote: »

What does this mean?

Oh it's that level of phrenology pseudoscience quackery? Yeah fuck that every direction at once.