As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i'm not even sure what a [movie] is

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I just watched Palm Beach Story and I have never been more bowled over by an ending.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I thought it was because DS9 was a trade hub with non-Federation species who do use currency

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    he also pre-dates the Federation control of the station. Quark's is an institution. The cornerstone of commerce on the Promenade.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Picked up the novelization for Godzilla vs Kong today. For those curious, the first 32 pages take place before the events at the beginning of the movie. I'm curious to see what other differences there are when I have time to read more.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    he also pre-dates the Federation control of the station. Quark's is an institution. The cornerstone of commerce on the Promenade.

Also he is packing up to leave in the first episode specifically because the Federation are a bunch of squares but Sisko convinces him to stay to encourage other merchants.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

Also he is packing up to leave in the first episode specifically because the Federation are a bunch of squares but Sisko convinces him to stay to encourage other merchants.

'convinces'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

'convinces'

I was being diplomatic.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'm so tired

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

That pricetag is eye-watering, but it sounds pretty interesting. It's directed by folks that have been filming him since his very first videos, and have had access to him/cameras on him for his entire career.

I think he sucks bad as a human being, but the dude's career is fucking fascinating.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I wonder if it's going to tackle his mental illness in a tactful way, or just sort of ignore it entirely.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It will one fucking thousand percent never come up and like... For a variety of reasons the least of which is that I don't think you can necessarily make that sort of diagnosis even if it's clear that at the very least something is not right

• Options
    Also also money is brain poison

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    $30 million is a lot of money, but it makes 30 million times more sense than Netflix paying $3 million for the script for Bright

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It will one fucking thousand percent never come up and like... For a variety of reasons the least of which is that I don't think you can necessarily make that sort of diagnosis even if it's clear that at the very least something is not right

Hasn't he been open about being bipolar? Or is that all just shit that I've seen people say he has been but it's supposition?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Hasn't he been open about being bipolar? Or is that all just shit that I've seen people say he has been but it's supposition?

He's been public about it, yeah. Started talking about it in 2016 or so, I think?

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I think the worst thing about Kanye (amongst many to choose from) is his whole "I went off my bipolar meds, because it hinders my ability to do ART" stance, which is a fucked and backwards mentality

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ellen forney's book Marbles is in fact about how treating for bipolar is what saved her life and allowed her to continue being creative

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Quark is a community leader and a pillar of the promenade.

However, if I were in charge I would have spaced him after he sells out the entire station in the second season.

Or when he sold fake tickets off station during an evacuation.

I know I know the Devil I know, etc. But he does some egregious shit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    I think the worst thing about Kanye (amongst many to choose from) is his whole "I went off my bipolar meds, because it hinders my ability to do ART" stance, which is a fucked and backwards mentality

I have a lot of sympathy for that. It's bullshit, and it's dangerous, and he definitely shouldn't be platforming that shit in public. But I have sympathy for how it feels. Creating shit when you're in a mania feels really good, and it makes that material feel better than your other stuff, which slowly curdles into feeling like your good stuff only comes in the mania.

And it's your brain lying to you, and it sucks, but I get how you get there.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've got stupid type two bipolar, the one without the mania.

Brain problems!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/everyone-just-knows-hes-an-absolute-monster-scott-rudins-ex-staffers-speak-out-on-abusive-behavior
    Even as other Hollywood bullies are being sidelined, the uber-producer behind 'The Social Network' and Broadway’s 'To  Kill a Mockingbird' has been given a pass for his volcanic temper. Now, former employees open up about a boss who left many traumatized: "It was a new level of unhinged."
    For some four decades, Rudin's abusive behavior has been chronicled — even celebrated — by the press. In a 2010 profile, this publication dubbed him "The Most Feared Man in Town" and called him "dazzlingly charming" one paragraph after describing acts of cruelty and intimidation. In a 2005 Wall Street Journal profile with the headline "Boss-zilla!," Rudin himself pegged the number of assistants he burned through in the previous five years at 119.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If anyone is curious

Black Dynamite is still perfect

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Last night I did a double feature of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies, having never seen them before.

My Neighbor Totoro was cute! Its a real slice of life story. Out of the Miyazaki films I have seen so far, it wouldn't jump to the top of the list though (I find slice of life stories to be quaint & charming but lack the engagement of more plot-heavy films).

Grave of the Fireflies though... Ooof... That's a classic, through and through. Ooof... Yeah... Ooof...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My Neighbor Totoro is adorable and fun but I agree it doesn’t have enough depth to be really engaging.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Last night I did a double feature of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies, having never seen them before.

My Neighbor Totoro was cute! Its a real slice of life story. Out of the Miyazaki films I have seen so far, iy wouldn't jump to the top of the list though (a find slice of life stories to be quaint & charming but lack the engagement of more plot-heavy films).

Grave of the Fireflies though... Ooof... That's a classic, through and through. Ooof... Yeah... Ooof...

Cripes, you can sue for whiplash like that.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    So, I dunno if this was intentional, but that double feature is how they were originally screened in Japan

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah like how E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Schindler's List got double billed over here

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

My Neighbor Totoro was cute! Its a real slice of life story. Out of the Miyazaki films I have seen so far, iy wouldn't jump to the top of the list though (a find slice of life stories to be quaint & charming but lack the engagement of more plot-heavy films).

Cripes, you can sue for whiplash like that.

I actually watched Grave of the Fireflies first because I knew Totoro would have a happier ending.

• Options
    Grave of the Fireflies is a movie I watched once and will never watch again.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I used to put on Grave of the Fireflies at video stores I worked at because I'm a monster.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I worked at video store and there's so many movies I have an attachment to because I would just put on and watch or listen to in the background.

Empire Records was one I was reminded of since today is Rex Manning Day.

It's not a great movie but one I'm deeply attached to for that reason.

• Options
    That’s right, it is Rex Manning Day!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Last night they had the horror of Cool as Ice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1MxGFncZgQ
    Behold and quake in terror of what was wrought

As you will get the feeling from watching this that when Vanilla Ice came up and started talking, Nick and Kathy stopped acting and every thing they did at that point was their genuine reaction to him.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Vanilla Ice is the only one of those three that is believably in high school or would hit on high schoolers.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/X9eh37VDAG0

This is simultaneously the most adorable and disturbing thing I’ve seen in awhile.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Last night they had the horror of Cool as Ice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1MxGFncZgQ
    Behold and quake in terror of what was wrought

As you will get the feeling from watching this that when Vanilla Ice came up and started talking, Nick and Kathy stopped acting and every thing they did at that point was their genuine reaction to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB8dNMoXZ0

• Options
    has john leguizamo ever once given a shit?

I posit that he has not

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Cool as Ice is a truly disorienting film it's like if any random 1998 made for Lifetime drama got hit with some sort of goofballs ray, those two lunatics who fix Vanilla Ices motorcyle have like a benign Texas Chainsaw Massacre family vibe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    has john leguizamo ever once given a shit?

I posit that he has not

I think he does a genuinely good job in The Happening.

This discussion has been closed.