As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's the center square

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I have a black friend therefore...

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Oh cool, they unironically used the Not Political™ defense.

I read some more of that thread, they're hella racist in that way where they have never once stopped to think maybe they're being racist without noticing it in themselves and then they get mad when anyone points out that no actually they're being racist

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can't be accidentally racist because racist people are bad and I'm not a bad person!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    How could I be racist, I fucking love appropriating things from other cultures because I think they're cool, ignoring that by divorcing them from their proper context I am exoticizing/fetishizing their culture in harmful, reductive, and shitty ways!

DarkPrimus on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    shadow of the tomb raider sticks in my mind something fierce

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    shadow of the tomb raider sticks in my mind something fierce

Every time I think about the Tomb Raider reboots I get intensely angry that we got all that incredibly racist bullshit instead of more of the silly, pulpy nonsense that Tomb Raider Legends and Underworld had.

IKknkhU.gif
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Plus, y'know, all the stuff about menacing Lara with sexual assault all the time.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I wish more games were unapologetic Nazi killing simulators with a diverse cast of characters like Wolfenstein 2.

Any game that proclaims it's "not political" is immediately filed as right wing trash.

I really wasn't expecting it to have such good characters as it did!

Like the resistance leader is a black woman who breast feeds her baby and it's handled normally! I've never seen that before in a game.

SharpyVII on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I had some problems with how Wolf2 played, but the writing was a delight, so refreshing for a developer (or their publisher) to not pussyfoot and actually make a statement.

Still not sure how I feel about the blood-splash-sex scene, but you can't say they didn't go for it, whatever it was.

Shit, I hope MS doesn't clamp down on Machine Games' politics, for all my problems with Bethesda (and there are maaaaaaaaaaaaaaany) they seemed to do right by them.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    IIRC in the post release mania about how unashamedly anti-Nazi it is, alt-right chuds were complaining about it and MachineGames responses were basically ‘hey guys? FUCK NAZIS’.

-Loki- on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I think Wolf2 is an overall lesser game than Wolf1 on a mechanical and immersive level

the writing goes some wild places but the game doesn't capitalise on the narrative possibilities in presents to the player, and the reduced emphasis on stealth and more downbeat segments makes the highs feel less impactful

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Cozy Grove is out someone tell me if it is good and if I would like it.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    wolf2 felt a little flat for me with the "americans are freedom loving people and they just have to be reminded of that and they'll rise up" undercurrant

It undercut a lot of grace and horton's (also J from new order) criticisms of america

makes it all feel a little bit more like the game is just pining for a return to normalcy rather than really reckoning with nazism

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    IIRC in the post release mania about how unashamedly anti-Nazi it is, alt-right chuds were complaining about it and MachineGames responses were basically ‘hey guys? FUCK NAZIS’.
    It's pretty great.

https://youtu.be/nipNR5tJ_1w

sig.gif
    to me wolf2 has the anti nazi sentiment of the comic where the joker goes "i may be a crook, but i'm an american crook and i won't work with any stinking nazis"

and, that fits with the pulpy tone of it all, like having the goofy lottle nazi ufos so you can commute to venus in an afternoon, but i was hoping for somwthing more, especially because wolf1 and 2 kept on gesturing at something more, but then pulled back

Lalabox wrote: »
    wolf2 felt a little flat for me with the "americans are freedom loving people and they just have to be reminded of that and they'll rise up" undercurrant

It undercut a lot of grace and horton's (also J from new order) criticisms of america

makes it all feel a little bit more like the game is just pining for a return to normalcy rather than really reckoning with nazism
    I'm not sure I got that read, at all. "The American people" are literally shown as happy to kowtow to the Nazis for the sake of not stirring the shit, the resistance members are made up almost entirely out of marginalised groups that have been eating shit since the Nazis took over and the only time Americans as a nation are even addressed are right at the end, when BJ is calling for a revolution. Which, while the act itself is portrayed as victorious, doesn't even start on-screen, so we have no idea what the effect of the call to action was.

I can't remember if that impression of Americans as a people you mention came from BJ's optimism, however the game text sure does not share that opinion.

Glal wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

I'm not sure I got that read, at all. "The American people" are literally shown as happy to kowtow to the Nazis for the sake of not stirring the shit, the resistance members are made up almost entirely out of marginalised groups that have been eating shit since the Nazis took over and the only time Americans as a nation are even addressed are right at the end, when BJ is calling for a revolution. Which, while the act itself is portrayed as victorious, doesn't even start on-screen, so we have no idea what the effect of the call to action was.

I can't remember if that impression of Americans as a people you mention came from BJ's optimism, however the game text sure does not share that opinion.

i disagree with that

the game does have quite a few americans who happily collaborate with the nazis, but it still very much about trying to wake up the american people. It's the stated goal for most of the game, and i don't really know how to read the textual implications of the ending and then the credits as anything other than "this speech incited revolution across the country"

other people have explained it a bit better than me, though

It does kick off a revolution, because by the time Youngblood happens in 1980
    The Nazis have been beat back everywhere except Europe.

sig.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think there is something to be said for being extremely clear with your purpose and messaging in a game featuring nazis at the antagonists.

There used to be no shortage of ww2 and ww2 adjacent games making nazis out to be depersonalized inhuman cannon fodder for protagonist power fantasy. While I'm not saying there is nescsarily anything wrong with that in and of itself it certainly didn't do anything to stymie the mainstreaming of fascism in modern culture.

You can't entirely blame it on the games of the time I'm talking about alone because of the broader cultural climate the came out in certainly also hampered actually discussion of or full throated condemnation of fascism as a set of ideals.

But I think this combination of factors led to a lot of space for nazi and fascist ideals to spread unchecked because any mention of them was dismissed as "oh those are just faceless baddies in the video games" "the nazis haven't been around since the 40s" and created online spaces where people inclined to fetishize militarism, weapons, and war equipment uniforms and such could congregate and play act battles as virtual wermacht soldiers in an uncritical light. The companies making the games were exploiting extremely potent imagery without a thought for messaging. I don't recall activision making explicit condemnations of nazism of acknowledgment of the ongoing threat of fascism say around when call of duty 2 came out at least.

I think machine games saying fuck nazis is literally the bare minimum basically. And any company making a ww2 game shouldn't hesitate to say the same thing and louder.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Just the most blithely ignorant shit, it's honestly incredible

We don't have any indigenous people on staff but we do in our community is an incredible statement just to start things out

But We're excited about Native American culture that has been shown in books and movies in our childhood is just like a nuclear bomb

correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't that just a fancy way to say "we have indigenous friends"

"We've heard of indigenous friends."

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Cozy Grove is out someone tell me if it is good and if I would like it.

holy crap

i'll try it tonight for sure, that looks great

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of Wolfenstein 2 was the transcendentally terrible credits song

Just a masterpiece of garbage, that song

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    My favorite part of Wolfenstein 2 was the transcendentally terrible credits song

It was amazing

I don't think I've heard a worse cover ever

Why didn't they just get the original?

It was baffling. It really did have a straight to video vibe to the credits.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I played a bunch of Forager last night. I don't know if that game is good, precisely, but it is compelling.

edited April 2021

wow it really is awful

Magic Pink on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

But it is a masterpiece
    15klgh.jpg

I laughed, but it made sense, since we'd already gotten weird-ass covers of a bunch of different songs.

sig.gif
    captaink wrote: »
    I played a bunch of Forager last night. I don't know if that game is good, precisely, but it is compelling.
    It's a pure skinner box, so, it's compelling until your brain goes "hey wait a second" at which point you're 100% done with it.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It's a pure skinner box, so, it's compelling until your brain goes "hey wait a second" at which point you're 100% done with it.

I hate when that happens! "Oh man, this game is great! I'm loving the shit out of this game! But for real, fuck this game, I'm out"

JtgVX0H.png
    I love Forager but I can only play it in small doses

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I seemingly can only play it in large doses, but then when I come back to it the next day I'm like "ugh no"

Magic Pink wrote: »

I seemingly can only play it in large doses, but then when I come back to it the next day I'm like "ugh no"

it's surprisingly stressful!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    2p87ss9rn40c.png

liEt3nH.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    TEXT:
    Scarlet Hood and the Wicked Wood - new on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1141120 ($12.74)
    11:06 AM · Apr 8, 2021
    Share this Tweet
    Scarlet Hood must lead a hapless Munchkin troupe through the Wicked Wood. Too bad the Black Witch, LeFaba, doesn't take too kindly to strangers gallivanting in her domain. Our fledgling witch soon realizes she's reliving the same day. Can she overcome the disaster that awaits at every turn?
    20210408 Scarlet Hood and the Wicked Wood (Adventure, Interactive Fiction, Visual Novel, 2D)
    TEXT:
    Assemble a group of heroes and enjoy an unique adventure on this coop RPG deckbuilding roguelite game!

⚔️Steam Early Access 8, April. ⚔️
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385380/Across_the_Obelisk/

#screenshotsaturday #roguelite #deckbuilding #roguelike #rpg #cardbattler #cardgame #indiegame #indiedev #gamedev

12:24 PM · Apr 3, 2021
    Across the Obelisk is a coop RPG deckbuilding roguelite. Play solo or with your friends, choose your heroes, unlock items and cards, craft your deck and face powerful enemies in deep tactical combat. Would you dare to go across the obelisk?
    20210408 Across the Obelisk EA (Roguelike, Deckbuilder, Card Battler)
    TEXT:
    Pitch your tent and explore an ever-changing haunted island as a Spirit Scout while helping soothe the local ghosts in Cozy Grove from @spryfox and @QuantumApG. Available now on #NintendoSwitch!

🏕️: http://ninten.do/6012VPvYr
    Welcome to Cozy Grove, a game about camping on a haunted, ever-changing island. As a Spirit Scout, you'll wander the island's forest each day, finding new hidden secrets and helping soothe the local ghosts. With a little time and a lot of crafting, you'll bring color and joy back to Cozy Grove!
    20210408 Cozy Grove (Relaxing, Story Rich, Hidden Object, Collectathon)
    TEXT:
    Potion Party by @RPGamesDev officially releases tomorrow and I'm so excited for more players to check it out! 2021 is the year I successfully run an alchemy shop and no ghost, thief or cute blob will stop me!

Check out my playthrough live now on Youtube https://youtu.be/SWQX-_EW9FI
    Potion Party is a funny couch co-op alchemy game for one to four players. Working as a team, you and your friends must manage your own alchemy shop. Earn money, upgrade your tools, decorate the shop and become a master alchemist!
    20210408 Potion Party (Colorful, Fantasy, co-op, multiplayer)
    TEXT:
    First Feudal is released from early access!

Release update includes:
    - Three victory goals
    - Lore events
    - Ironman
    - Map
    - Game statistics
    - Five new science upgrades
    - Six new buildings

Full list of changes: http://bit.ly/FFRELEASE

#FirstFeudal #gamedev #indiedev #Gamemaker
    Become a real medieval feudal lord: start with a small village and build it up into a great impenetrable castle. You will have to repel enemy raids: hide behind thick walls, lure your enemies into strategically placed traps and even lead your loyal peasants into the battlefield.
    20210408 First Feudal (Colony Sim, Base Building, Survival, Management)

Brolo on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    2p87ss9rn40c.png

It's all like similar though variations on a theme like

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have learned that Iron Tower, the studio what did Age of Decadence, has a new CRPG in early access. A sci-fi dealio called Colony Ship, which is supposedly "inspired by the works of Robert Heinlein."

The phrases "Colony Ship" and "inspired by the works of Robert Heinlein" would usually be enough for me to check out of something completely, but I really, really love Age of Decadence, and that was indebted to like Roman history and grim fantasy and also sounded like it could easily be an unpalatable thing made by and for chuds. So I am sorely tempted to once again extend them the benefit of the doubt.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "Colony ship CRPG inspired by Heinlein" is a really alarming phrase.

This discussion has been closed.