As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Scotch in an old fashioned sounds odd. Will have to try that sometime

Sometimes you've got to work with what you've got on the booze shelf

(My ex drank whisky so there was always some around)

wait

you don't like whisky but you named your cat after whisky

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Doesn’t like the cat, presumably

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Indeed and an old fashioned is really just adding sugar and butters to bourbon or rye so the model would work with basically anything. I’m sure there’s a different name for it when you use scotch but I’m not going to look it up.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

wait

It was a decision made with the ex - of the 45 names I suggested, it was one of the only ones she liked, and it had different sounds to Bramble (cat 2) while still being thematically linked

Also it's a fun word to say, and it's a reference to the recurring whisky in Cabin Pressure, the best radio sitcom of the last 200 years

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

Indeed and an old fashioned is really just adding sugar and butters to bourbon or rye so the model would work with basically anything. I’m sure there’s a different name for it when you use scotch but I’m not going to look it up.

Auld Fashioned

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’ve been thinking about what to build in Valheim and what has stuck now for several seconds is: island base.

Yesterday while sailing we found two small islands in the sea proper. Like tennis court sized probably. What if I were to build a sea wall and build there.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Had a talk with my wife the other night about how I'd like to finally try to work on my sleep deprivation and start going to bed at like 10ish (her sleep schedule is more like midnight to nine).

Last night, at 11:30pm, she starts tearfully talking about how she'll try to give me some space today because she doesn't know what else to do to help

and as I'm trying to be comforting I'm thinking pls

pls

I just want to sleep.

I don't understand this scenario

Is she feeling bad because she can't help you sleep better? What does space have to do with sleep schedules?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I as under the impression an Old Fashioned was specifically for Bourbon or at least American style whisky

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Anyway I'm real tired how are y'all.

I'm a total scrooge today.
    Had a talk with my wife the other night about how I'd like to finally try to work on my sleep deprivation and start going to bed at like 10ish (her sleep schedule is more like midnight to nine).

Last night, at 11:30pm, she starts tearfully talking about how she'll try to give me some space today because she doesn't know what else to do to help

pls

I just want to sleep.

Damn I wish I could sleep until 9. I'm midnight until 7 and feel like there is zero chance I could fall asleep earlier than 1130. Before we had kids my wife worked 2 to 10 and we would eat dinner at midnight. And I worked evenings too.

I've never felt like I could sleep before a late hour. 10 o'clock is so early.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    I feel like a nice Highland scotch could work with bitters + sugar and maybe even a citrus garnish, sure

I wouldn't do it with something smoky probably

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I as under the impression an Old Fashioned was specifically for Bourbon or at least American style whisky

The truth is there’s no real rule for old fashioneds

Bourbon/scotch/rye are all acceptable

Honk wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking about what to build in Valheim and what has stuck now for several seconds is: island base.

Yesterday while sailing we found two small islands in the sea proper. Like tennis court sized probably. What if I were to build a sea wall and build there.

Sometimes rocks will jut out of the sea. Like the big stone deposits in the black forest.

I think it would be very cool to do a structure over one of those. You could project it outward with some of the angled pieces. Make it like a floating town.

If I ordered an old fashioned at a bar and it was made with scotch, that wouldn't be what I ordered, and I'd send it back. It kind of is a rule!

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

pls

I just want to sleep.

I don't understand this scenario

Is she feeling bad because she can't help you sleep better? What does space have to do with sleep schedules?
    tof29vucs723.png

e: I'm being blithe, the bad sleep has led to all kinds of negative effects on my behavior/personality/etc. and she wants to proactively do something but like

I think I just need more than six hours of sleep on a regular basis for a while.

Surfpossum on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

wait

It was a decision made with the ex - of the 45 names I suggested, it was one of the only ones she liked, and it had different sounds to Bramble (cat 2) while still being thematically linked

Also it's a fun word to say, and it's a reference to the recurring whisky in Cabin Pressure, the best radio sitcom of the last 200 years
    it's also a really good whisky

Still one of my favorite moments on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVzGYZLhvo

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    If I ordered an old fashioned at a bar and it was made with scotch, that wouldn't be what I ordered, and I'd send it back. It kind of is a rule!

If you ordered an old fashioned at a bar without specifying which bourbon/whiskey you wanted in the drink, you'd end up with well alcohol no matter what kind, which would be awful regardless.

vRyue2p.png
    Hm. All three of our mass spec systems are down.

There’s ... not a lot of work I can do.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Smoky Rob Roys are pretty good

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

The truth is there’s no real rule for old fashioneds

Bourbon/scotch/rye are all acceptable

Or cognac.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    JebusUD wrote: »

Sometimes rocks will jut out of the sea. Like the big stone deposits in the black forest.

I think it would be very cool to do a structure over one of those. You could project it outward with some of the angled pieces. Make it like a floating town.

This is like that but enough actual land that a small farm plot might be possible. That’s be cool.

I started drawing plans in my head it’d be a bigger and smaller island/platform separated by a dock-canal where you park your ship.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

If you ordered an old fashioned at a bar without specifying which bourbon/whiskey you wanted in the drink, you'd end up with well alcohol no matter what kind, which would be awful regardless.

This depends on the bar. If you order a whiskey/coke though, you're definitely getting trash quality.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’ll have a tequila old fashioned

can you feel the struggle within?
    So we need a Valheim server everyone can be on again. I want to see / collaborate on builds.

I’ll have a tequila old fashioned

Mezcal works!

Elendil wrote: »

wait

it's also a really good whisky

I bought a bottle to celebrate Taliskitty turning 3 years and 1 day old, and I can drink it without wincing, unlike others I've tried

It's still a drink I'll only drink when whisky is specifically required, though, like celebrating the life of my whisky-drinking granddad

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Good day, Chat
    I say GOOD DAY!
    *attempts to dip bacon egg and cheese biscuit into a mug of sweet tea*
    HOW DO THEY DO THIS

Bless your heart.

This is like that but enough actual land that a small farm plot might be possible. That’s be cool.

I started drawing plans in my head it’d be a bigger and smaller island/platform separated by a dock-canal where you park your ship.

You could always build a farmable area with the raise ground tool.

“I’ll have an old fashioned,”

“House recipe?”

“Yeah sure whatever.”

*serves hot creme de menthe in a mug*

You could always build a farmable area with the raise ground tool.

Oh I didn’t know that worked, that’d make it easier for sure.

Doodmann wrote: »

This depends on the bar. If you order a whiskey/coke though, you're definitely getting trash quality.

It’s a trash drink for getting trashed

This is not my experience at all! At restaurants and bars here, it's pretty unusual to specify which whiskey you want in your old fashioned (or any cocktail ingredients), and kind of gauche unless you frame it as a special request — cocktails are priced and calculated based on standardized ingredients and amounts, and substitutions and alterations generate extra work for the bartender or server

as trash

One small problem is that I’m currently at the western edge of the map like an hours travel to get there.

edited April 2021
    I don't think whiskey and coke is a trash drink at all

It's very tasty, significantly different from its individual parts, and very drinkable for people who don't like boozy drinks

It's almost exactly the same as a gin and tonic, let's be honest

Evil Multifarious on
    Atomika wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

It’s a trash drink for getting trashed

in my late college days I went to a club and they were doing $1 rail drinks.

I had like 5 whisky and cokes in like 45 minutes.

that was a bad idea

It's very tasty, significantly different from its individual parts, and very drinkable for people who don't like boozy drinks

Also the recipe for Coke is essentially just carbonated bitters

yes, they're both trash drinks

A
    One small problem is that I’m currently at the western edge of the map like an hours travel to get there.

Build a teleporter.

And always carry the mats for a teleporter in the ship. And leave a blank one at the main base named something easy like 1 so you can connect to it when you are exploring.

yes, they're both trash drinks

All drinks are trash except seltzer

This discussion has been closed.