As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NFL] Shouldn’t Play Games but they will so we are going to talk about it.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Surprised it took that long

I think it’s all as simple as this
    https://defector.com/theres-nothing-complicated-about-the-deshaun-watson-lawsuits/

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Whoever the 49ers draft, it's going to be an improvement over Jimmy G long term. That's all I care about.

I don't know, I'll trust Shanahan, guy seems like he knows what he's doing and at least we didn't trade for fucking Kirk Cousins.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Whoever the 49ers draft, it's going to be an improvement over Jimmy G long term. That's all I care about.

I don't know, I'll trust Shanahan, guy seems like he knows what he's doing and at least we didn't trade for fucking Kirk Cousins.

I seriously question that Jones will be an actual improvement. He looks for all I can see to have a ceiling of what Jimmy can do with possibly better durability and a much cheaper contract. Don't get me wrong that is still a net gain, but he hasn't shown anything to me that looks like he will be a sea change for the offense like Fields or Lance could be if coached up correctly.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options

Beats by Dre joins them

Likely/hopefully all his sponsorships drop him before Friday night

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I can’t imagine he isn’t going to lose every endorsement within a few days.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    First round QB drafting in the last 5 years has been way better than the previous 15, to be fair.

Yeah I'm not sure any teams have gotten better about evaluating QB's nor is the 2nd QB taken inherently cursed. I think modern teams have pulled so many concepts from the college game, like the read option, it allows QB's that are athletic to be better than if they were in a pure pocket passer scheme that most teams ran in the past.

Also just depends on what people's definition of a bust is. Dan Jones for example, could probably be a decent game manager QB with some athletic upside. But that would require a top 5 defense and a scheme to maximize that. So while he may not last long in NY, I'm not sure I'd call him a bust.

I think a lot of different factors are playing into this, but I think the biggest is the college game has become less gimmicky in the last half-decade particularly among the power conferences. The spread robbed quarterbacks of the need and thus the opportunity to learn how to read defenses or demonstrate accuracy. It's how we ended up with guys like Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn who were somehow shattering school and conference records only to arrive in the NFL and not be able to make basic throws.

I'm not sure if the evolution of the option has made things much better or worse though. On one hand, the progressions are very formulaic and overly reliant on pre-snap reads vs post-snap so its vulnerable to defenses that can disguise their coverage schemes. But on the other hand, it at least does require reading a defense whereas the spread's success is overly reliant on mismatches and talent gaps that aren't as prevalent at the professional level.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

He might be in prison too, I uh am would think forcing 2 of the victims to give him oral sex probably carries significant criminal charges in Texas...

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

He might be in prison too, I uh am would think forcing 2 of the victims to give him oral sex probably carries significant criminal charges in Texas...

for a normal person sure, but you always have to factor in the discount that every wealthy person receives from the legal system

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

If he ends up in prison it’s not going to be until everything is wrapped up and it will probably be a slap on the wrist and a big fine.

You can pay your prison time in this country.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    didn't save vick

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    edit: mispost

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Its fucked up but honestly if Watson was on good terms publicly with the Texans when this came out it probably would have a measurable effect on his chances of doing prison time.

That aside don't discount the effects of a highly paid defense team vs a public servant, I'm sure Watson is going to get buried in civil court but unless a couple of these cases are slam dunks I wouldn't be surprised if the DA fucks this up.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I’m thinking Watson might be looking at the same types of charges as Harvey Weinstein

I’m really over my skis here, though

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I would be shocked if he does prison time. Vick went to jail as dog fighting is a felony offense and most importantly, there was a ton of evidence around him running the operation. And even then it was 23 months in a federal prison.

As much as it sucks, since there are 22 women that have come forward (I think 18 filing charges), we know he's a dirtbag, but sexual harassment is barely a misdemeanor. And for the 2 women that mentioned oral sex, not only will that be hard to prove, but even if so, it's probably only going to be elevated to sexual battery which is only a misdemeanor. None of these charges are likely to result in jail time even if he wasn't an NFL player.

Ideally we'd see the NFL take a stance on this suspending him without pay. But then we've seen worse offenses get brushed off by the NFL time and again so I'm not holding out much hope.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I mean the nfl isn't going to be good at this because it's not their job. they only got forced into the role because the people whose job it is don't do it so we have this weird quasi judiciary system that isn't going to get it right because they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

• Options
    So former NFL player Phillip Adams shot and killed 5 people in South Carolina yesterday then took his own life today.

Tragic as fuck. I wonder if it’s CTE related.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I would be shocked if he does prison time. Vick went to jail as dog fighting is a felony offense and most importantly, there was a ton of evidence around him running the operation. And even then it was 23 months in a federal prison.

As much as it sucks, since there are 22 women that have come forward (I think 18 filing charges), we know he's a dirtbag, but sexual harassment is barely a misdemeanor. And for the 2 women that mentioned oral sex, not only will that be hard to prove, but even if so, it's probably only going to be elevated to sexual battery which is only a misdemeanor. None of these charges are likely to result in jail time even if he wasn't an NFL player.

Ideally we'd see the NFL take a stance on this suspending him without pay. But then we've seen worse offenses get brushed off by the NFL time and again so I'm not holding out much hope.

Intercourse and oral sex do not make up the dividing line between harassment and assault.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So former NFL player Phillip Adams shot and killed 5 people in South Carolina yesterday then took his own life today.

Tragic as fuck. I wonder if it’s CTE related.

Jesus, he killed two little kids in that...

The story states it's a dr that was treating him, Dr's wife, two grandchildren and an employee in the home. A 6th person is in the hospital seriously wounded.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Yeah I debated mentioning anything about the kids because it’s so fucking terrible.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

I believe there are two criminal complaints against Watson, not 18?

I would download a car.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

18 total cases. 2 criminal, 16 civil, plus at least 6 other women that have talked with Buzbee but couldn't provide enough evidence to bring credible suits/complaints.

No matter how you slice it, if even half of these get to the sentencing/penalty phase he's out a metric crap-ton of cash and anywhere from 1-10 years in the pen.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

idk, there's 22 lawsuits right now. Not sure what category they all are. My point was that with that many accusations all painting the same picture, I think it's hard to claim it's fabricated. But with that being the case, I'm not sure any of the lawsuits would result in jail time.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

idk, there's 22 lawsuits right now. Not sure what category they all are. My point was that with that many accusations all painting the same picture, I think it's hard to claim it's fabricated. But with that being the case, I'm not sure any of the lawsuits would result in jail time.

The SI report with the IG receipts is enough to show that almost none of it is fabricated.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

The SI report with the IG receipts is enough to show that almost none of it is fabricated.

Yeah I mean when it first broke, given the source of the lawsuits I was willing to wait a little bit and see how it played out before coming to an opinion...it is clear now that there is a ton of evidence.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I am still waiting to see how angry I will be at the end of this. Right now I am angry at Watson for the obvious reasons, and the Texans for protecting him until he was no longer useful to them. I can't wait to see how mad I am at his treatment compared to Roethlisberger, and how he inevitably signs with a new team one the legal situation is fully resolved. Bonus anger if it is the Saints as they don't give a shit who you hurt as long as you throw the football good.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Deshaun’s lawyer held a presser where he said he wouldn’t agree to keep the accusers’ names private from public when revealed in depositions because “they should be looked at/scrutinized as thoroughly as Deshaun”

Also said there were consensual encounters, with the therapists he and Deshaun originally said there’d never been any contact with at all

I’m pretty angry

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    i believe my feelings towards deshaun and his attorney can currently be summed up as

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Naked fuckin' intimidation attempt, I hope the women involved get a better attorney than Buzbee and nail deshaun's fucking aas to the wall

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Can't really imagine what it must be like to be a Texans fan this last year. Going from seeing the star franchise QB to them leaving to turns out they're probably a serial predator. Fucking eh

• Options
    Yeah pretty crazy whiplash from Deshaun Watson, hero worker fighting against the dumb owner and his incompetent rasputin to whoops, he’s a serial rapist

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Can't really imagine what it must be like to be a Texans fan this last year. Going from seeing the star franchise QB to them leaving to turns out they're probably a serial predator. Fucking eh

It ain't great!

The texans have basically burned every last drop of goodwill and we have none of our old team's stars left to root for. Watson a monster. JJ gone. Hopkins gone. Fuller gone. Our running game hasn't been good since Foster's heyday. To make matters worse, BOB pissed away so many picks for his boneheaded trades that we can't even go into a good rebuild mode. No first OR second round picks this year.

I guess it's cool that Tyrod Taylor is gonna get another shot after getting utterly screwed by his doctors puncturing his lung last season? Mercilus is still pretty good and has a cool name? We've got a couple decent veteran receivers we picked up, even if they don't have much history with the team?

I dunno it just feels like at minimum this year is going to be a disaster and we'll have to rebuild for the next few years.

• Options
    Is David Johnson still a Texan

• Options
    The Texans are basically an expansion team without any draft picks, run by a failson of a faildad and shitty rasputin

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Yes. I guess he's alright? But not good enough to get excited about.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Yes. I guess he's alright? But not good enough to get excited about.

Lol no he sucks turds

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

The sound coming off of that ball is scary.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I love how at the end it almost looks like he's reaching into his pocket like, "my bad, how much that cost?"

I want to be able to exude that kind of energy in my life.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Too bad teams won't sign him because of his past behavior (mainly attitude and mouthing off).

This discussion has been closed.