As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outriders] Ride and die (a lot).

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So I've been following y'all. I really enjoyed the demo, but I wasn't totally sold.

Now that the dust has settled, it seems like people are having real fun. To folks playing the end game, does it feel like there's longevity there? Does this have legs?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So I've been following y'all. I really enjoyed the demo, but I wasn't totally sold.

Now that the dust has settled, it seems like people are having real fun. To folks playing the end game, does it feel like there's longevity there? Does this have legs?

Potentially if they nail down their servers and stability (I played a bit last night it crashed on me 3 times).

Spoilers for what end game boils down to.

The end game mode is a time attack clear with its own "world tier" system independent of the storymode world tier. The faster you clear at a higher level you unlock a % chance of more drops with gold being the best, silver and bronze being all right and just finishing giving you some drops.

Combine with legendaries and the ability to use mods on everything you've unlocked if people like the time attack mode it could have decent legs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Bounties and hunts scale to whatever level you pick them up at, yeah? I'm not screwing myself by leaving them until the story is done?

Everything scales to your world tier and level. And not really though you can restart the hunt quests once they are done at the very least.

to add to this, if you start a quest at an earlier world tier and finish it at a higher one, the lowest tier you've had it active for counts as the completion tier. If you come across this situation then if the quest offers a turn-in completion, you can abandon it and then pick it up again to complete it at the higher tier completely. I don't know if there's a difference between the initial completion offering and repeats, but I guess this stops you from say, starting a quest at your highest tier, dropping down to a lower one, then cranking it back up to get the higher tier reward.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Beat the main campaign!
    Kind of a downer ending knowing that everyone is still basically fucked, they've just delayed the inevitable a little longer but this game is pretty dark the entire way through so I'm not surprised it ended that way. I'm definitely happy with picking the female VA cause she had a great stretch of sounding just thoroughly done with everyone's shit.

Now to go clean up the sidequests I skipped over and then decide whether I wanna level a new toon or start in on challenge tiers.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Beat the main campaign!
    Kind of a downer ending knowing that everyone is still basically fucked, they've just delayed the inevitable a little longer but this game is pretty dark the entire way through so I'm not surprised it ended that way. I'm definitely happy with picking the female VA cause she had a great stretch of sounding just thoroughly done with everyone's shit.

Now to go clean up the sidequests I skipped over and then decide whether I wanna level a new toon or start in on challenge tiers.

Main campaign spoiler

I mean you bought time and opened up the other side of the world, that's at least something for people in trench town.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Beat the main campaign!

Main campaign spoiler

I mean you bought time and opened up the other side of the world, that's at least something for people in trench town.
    Unless they figure out a way for Altereds to use the obelisks and tame the anomalies then the world will still be a shithole so it's a victory for the good guys but definitely a shortlived one once reality sets in.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Beat the main campaign!

Main campaign spoiler

Unless they figure out a way for Altereds to use the obelisks and tame the anomalies then the world will still be a shithole so it's a victory for the good guys but definitely a shortlived one once reality sets in.

Main campaign spoiler

Well victory for the bad guys, humans absolutely fucked up the planet, and even if you're better than the others, you're still an amoral god who potentially killed the last unturned native.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Beat the main campaign!

Main campaign spoiler

Main campaign spoiler

Well victory for the bad guys, humans absolutely fucked up the planet, and even if you're better than the others, you're still an amoral god who potentially killed the last unturned native.
    True. "Good guys" in the protagonist sense, lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mean
    in the context of that world, it’s a hopeful ending, there’s the potential for change and progress with the breathing room the new resources give, and what the heroes have discovered. Like yeah it’s not magically changed into a better world, but it’s not the definitive death spiral it was for most of the game. In a world that bleak, a glimmer of hope is a pretty positive ending

Prohass on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Bounties and hunts scale to whatever level you pick them up at, yeah? I'm not screwing myself by leaving them until the story is done?

Everything scales to your world tier and level. And not really though you can restart the hunt quests once they are done at the very least.

to add to this, if you start a quest at an earlier world tier and finish it at a higher one, the lowest tier you've had it active for counts as the completion tier. If you come across this situation then if the quest offers a turn-in completion, you can abandon it and then pick it up again to complete it at the higher tier completely. I don't know if there's a difference between the initial completion offering and repeats, but I guess this stops you from say, starting a quest at your highest tier, dropping down to a lower one, then cranking it back up to get the higher tier reward.

I don't know if this is true - at least it isn't for the Bounties and Wanted. I ran through those a couple of times for guaranteed legendaries at level 1 and turned it in at 15 and got all level equivalent rewards.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Spoiler from around the Forest Stronghold
    I don't remember who was talking about the potential mystery with the director from the prologue, about why he was so hell-bent on bringing down the Flores, but they cover it in the Outriders Legacy quest. The second time you go to the bunker your character and Zaheedi talk about how there was no plan to bring the Outriders back up if Enoch wasn't suitable and that's why the director was freaking out like that.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Spoiler from around the Forest Stronghold
    I don't remember who was talking about the potential mystery with the director from the prologue, about why he was so hell-bent on bringing down the Flores, but they cover it in the Outriders Legacy quest. The second time you go to the bunker your character and Zaheedi talk about how there was no plan to bring the Outriders back up if Enoch wasn't suitable and that's why the director was freaking out like that.

Yeah that was me, I assumed there was something else driving him, cos he went absolutely nuts, but in the context of this game world it makes sense.

Prohass on
  • Options
    I hope they add the ability to set builds, why does every one of these games launch without that option? Like the bullet reflect skill is kind of useless in areas that don’t have a lot of humans, etc

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    ED! wrote: »

I don't know if this is true - at least it isn't for the Bounties and Wanted. I ran through those a couple of times for guaranteed legendaries at level 1 and turned it in at 15 and got all level equivalent rewards.

Level equivalent being what? Your character level? Or your character level +WT bonus? Because if it's the latter it goes against everything I've seen and read on the internet.

Edit: for instance, my WT went up to 12 (+9 gear lvl bonus) tonight, my character is lvl 26. I had a bounty and a hunt I had completed earlier. When I turned them in, the rewards were lvl 34, had they been the current/new CL + WT bonus they would have been 35.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I love the glitch that has your character say “aw crap” when they clear a level and win, but also say like “easy victory” or something when you die

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Made it to... the first mission for dude-in-charge in the Forest. The other Grand Marshall, I guess.
    Was not expecting Seth to be dead this soon, honestly. I figured we would be fighting Moloch eventually, but that maybe it would involve Seth in the action.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    My tolerance for shitty fps lock jumping in mid-fight and ruining my aim so I quickly go into/out of menu to fix it but then not being able to move for that half a second gets me melee wrapped and stunlocked is done for the day after two expeditions.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2021

Personally, I don't really think so. It's real basic.

edit: If they fix some really shitty annoying bugs quickly I'll probably try playthrough as other classes which will give it a lot mmore longveity, but as it is I doubt I'll still be playing it a week from now.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I like the endgame cos you can do it in short bursts and it’s fun. It’s got nothing on like 4 hour raids from like destiny, but there’s meat there. It comes down to what you’re looking for. But essentially it’s about a dozen new levels and scenarios you grind for loot. With an unlockable Uber level at the end for high end people. Depending on what you’re looking for it could be not enough, but for me it works in short bursts. Like logon, do a ten minute level, and then that’s it for the day. I don’t know about legs, I’ll likely get bored of it, but frankly I get bored of most endgames because they just seem to be enormous time sinks and that’s not my thing. So it’s hard to judge, it really depends on what you want out of it. If you want deep and long raid style gameplay it’s not really there. I like the high end mods which you collect and can slot into your gears easily and the look of legendary stuff so I’ll likely stick with it longer than I usually do with these kind of games

Tho I definitely wouldn’t buy it just for the endgame, I felt like I got enough out of it during the campaign and was satisfied with that, but if the demo didn’t grab you I wouldn’t rush out and get it just for potential end game stuff

However at the moment the NetCode and online is terrible, so this all depends on whether they can fix that

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Jeses three crashes to the Home Screen in a row on my xbox series x with this. After the ridiculously long sign in screen of course.

Prohass on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Playing technomancer and having to engage with the base gameplay more than the other classes keeps ending up with me getting the crap kicked out of me over and over and a lot of frustration, which is unfortunate since I strongly prefer DMRs and sniper rifles. This is of course amplified by the fact that leech mechanics mean slower shooting weapons recover like 10% of my health every second or so, while SMG can be like 600% of my health regened (plus stronger class regen mechanics for the other classes) in the same time frame.

Enemies are so psychic and accurate that it loops around from annoying to being kind of funny, reloading and shooting most of my guns is literally faster than using my melee, enemies frequently shoot right through walls, I've been shotgunned to death before I even regain control from a teleport (mine or enemy-forced) on multiple occasions, etc.

Even with optimal use of cover, I end up losing more health to psychic shots than I get back making a split-second insta-gib headshot. edit: Also, I just had a guy I was aiming at, waiting for him to pop of out cover, literally just instantly shooting me with no transition from his cover state, so that's happening I guess?

Guess I'll just push forward and see if anything comes online to make it less painful later.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Playing technomancer and having to engage with the base gameplay more than the other classes keeps ending up with me getting the crap kicked out of me over and over and a lot of frustration, which is unfortunate since I strongly prefer DMRs and sniper rifles. This is of course amplified by the fact that leech mechanics mean slower shooting weapons recover like 10% of my health every second or so, while SMG can be like 600% of my health regened (plus stronger class regen mechanics for the other classes) in the same time frame.

Enemies are so psychic and accurate that it loops around from annoying to being kind of funny, reloading and shooting most of my guns is literally faster than using my melee, enemies frequently shoot right through walls, I've been shotgunned to death before I even regain control from a teleport (mine or enemy-forced) on multiple occasions, etc.

Even with optimal use of cover, I end up losing more health to psychic shots than I get back making a split-second insta-gib headshot. edit: Also, I just had a guy I was aiming at, waiting for him to pop of out cover, literally just instantly shooting me with no transition from his cover state, so that's happening I guess?

Guess I'll just push forward and see if anything comes online to make it less painful later.
    Dodging attacks literally is not implemented in the game beyond getting out of a marked aoe area in time. Basically everything targeted has infinite tracking and will still hit you no matter how far you dodge or teleport. Dodging gives zero invulnerability window.

Worst thing is chain lightning though. You can't dodge it and enemies are free to cast it at you through walls like their aoe stuff.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, it'd be nice if I hit a bunker of like ~20 exiles and they all immediately didn't aggro me and start firing. I almost got to WT7, then whoops, back to the lower half.

Met the giant horseflies, they seem nice.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So, I found my first single-shot rifle. I think I've found my favorite weapon type.

I thought I'd have to give up the power of Blighted Rounds that everyone loves if I wanted to use them...but a quick Google suggests apparently there's a Blighted Rounds mod that gives ammo on kill that just results in you never reloading your one bullet because that one bullet kills the vast majority of enemies even without a headshot. So I'll look forward to that.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    They really need to rebalance the shotguns. If you want me to be a Trickster that heals when killing enemies at close range, then you need to give the shotguns a lot more power and A LOT more bullets. All shotguns only come with like, 30 slugs, which you run out of real quick. I've taken to just using assault rifles from medium-long range now cause there's just too many enemies shooting me and the shotguns are not nearly good enough, and I end up getting slaughtered real quick.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Shotguns are fine, you just need the right mods.
    kwym0dqjfm5n.png

I have ruined a lot of days with this thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Minor Juno forest side quest stuff
    I groaned and cringed at the "went medieval" line, until my character then tried to explain the whole concept at which point I lolled.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    kwym0dqjfm5n.png

My go-to mod (on my Trickster) is an armor mod that gives unlimited free ammo for 5 seconds after you reload when you have a shield. I never run out of shotgun ammo and use it liberally.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    kwym0dqjfm5n.png

My go-to mod (on my Trickster) is an armor mod that gives unlimited free ammo for 5 seconds after you reload when you have a shield. I never run out of shotgun ammo and use it liberally.

Well, I don't have that mod and I don't really think you should have to rely on a mod like that to make the weapon useful at all.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    kwym0dqjfm5n.png

Well, I don't have that mod and I don't really think you should have to rely on a mod like that to make the weapon useful at all.

Well i bet your shotgun doesnt think it should have to rely on you to use it properly, nyah

• Options
    I don't normally have ammo problems with pump shotguns, I might be low but I usually still have some gas in the tank at the end of the engagement. My bigger issue with them is having to sit through the whole reload animation everytime, let me load one shot and then shoot someone damnit.

Auto-shotguns though, those are absolute bullet hogs and I run out in 2 seconds.

• Options
    Yeah the crashing on series x has only gotten worse now that I've finished the game, annoyingly its on menu's a lot of the time which makes tweaking my build/gear a bitch because it feels like half the time it'll crash the game and then I have to wait 3 minutes to sign back in and hope for no crash.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    On my trickster pump shotgun, I have a mod for no ammo consumed on crits and apparently headshots count as crits. I haven't had ammo issues since I started using that. Teleport in, shotgun blast to base of skull for instagib in most cases, rinse/repeat. I've got basically all mods on my teleport skill for faster cooldowns and aoe slow on teleport, so its real easy to pop headshots when they're always in slow motion.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Also my end game is doing bounties/hunts again because the expedition aspect feels kinda borked without a lobby to join like me3 multi style. When you select "random" you usually join people who didn't realize they could be joined and the kick you shortly after.

My decision this morning was immeaditely rewarded by getting a legendary drop that now lets me use earthquake 3 times!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/680420/view/3086629758330646650

Big post with patches, balance updates (nerfs for bullet skills), and launch post-mortem.

TLDR on the post mortem was they screwed up the database and it was using a swap partition instead of RAM combined with running a cache clean every 60 seconds.

• Options
    Not a fan they are starting with nerfing, and then making expedition time lines even harder to hit. Like christ I've gotten silver once solo, the times claiming they are generous is not my experience.

I guess I better focus on those bounties now to get legendaries before they nerf that too (I absolutely hate how "you're getting too much loot" is the go to nerf on these styles of games when its the first thing that turns players off they aren't getting fucking anything.).

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Whew. Here I was thinking I would play a game and not get screwed by unpunished mechanics exploiters ^_^
    • Historian, bounty hunt, and monster hunt quests no longer grant Legendary items for each subsequent completion
      • While rewarding players for completing all the Historian, bounty hunt, and monster hunt quests is still our intention, we did observe unintended results when players repeated this activity in combination with a specific multiplayer bug.
      • With this rewards adjustment we want to eliminate this exploit behaviour while still making that quest line worth the effort.
      • Players who took advantage of this exploit will not be punished.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Yeah, coming out the gate with a bunch of player nerfs is never a good look. Especially if your servers are still jacked up from launch

• Options
    What's stupid is that legendaries feel anemic in drop rates. Like I just got to WT 13, i have gotten 1, fucking 1 and it was from this morning. With how punishing expeditions get right from the jump and how that limits your ability to get loot, the drops being nerfed is a slap in the face on top of the stability and crashing issues.

I don't get how every fucking one of these looter games start with drop nerfing after letting others "exploit" the better drops.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Alright well I guess I'll be grinding nothing but Tooka beast farming until they bury it.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.