As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I've done the Magnamalo/Rathalos mission so many times (those Focus gems won't craft themselves) I'm actually doing ok and learning their entire movesets.

GS really does require a massive amount of monster knowledge.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I just did the Nargacuga fight in MP, and I gotta say, switching to DB has been fun. I feel like I'm just a constant blender of damage.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Also, I finally broke 1k damage with a rage slash last night, and 10k damage with 1 rage slash combo during a rampage

Fucking beast

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    so does the game really end
    after fighting thunder dragon and then both sisters getting possessed?

because it feels very abrupt and most of the weapons and armour tiers still seem kinda bad

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

because it feels very abrupt and most of the weapons and armour tiers still seem kinda bad
    That's the current endpoint, yes. The roadmap has the rest of the story bits on it, and there are definitely some tiers missing on weapons.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Is there a good guide to what skills/armor sets to prioritize for each weapon? I've been building Nargacuga high rank armor since my primaries have been IG and Swaxe so the evade extender is nice on the axe and the crits seem good for both, but I've also been looking at Rathalos and thinking in general it's probably okay to start building multiple sets to have more specific aims. I've been playing SnS a bit lately too and was thinking it would be nice to make it my elemental build option since I've never done that.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    tbh with the new silkbinds evade extender doesn't feel as helpful on switch axe. with two points in it i sometimes find myself overshooting when making positioning adjustments. i'd try knocking it down to one, but it's gear locked for now. rapid morph on swaxe is the money skill. it literally makes it more fun to play.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    tbh with the new silkbinds evade extender doesn't feel as helpful on switch axe. with two points in it i sometimes find myself overshooting when making positioning adjustments. i'd try knocking it down to one, but it's gear locked for now. rapid morph on swaxe is the money skill. it literally makes it more fun to play.

Yeah a lot of the silkbinds aren't really locked into muscle memory so you're probably right. I was a little unclear what rapid morph does for you. I'm usually switching the weapon as part of a combo instead of going through the switch animation, does it just make the combo go faster?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The 3 major skills you can't go wrong with are Weakness Exploit, Attack, and Critical Eye.

With swaxe I think Rapid Morph would be good, but I haven't used it.

Honestly there's so few skill slots available that it's hard to specialize yet, and it's difficult to say no to the kind of DPS increase those skills give you.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    my armour is all tier 4 & 5 because all of the 6 & 7 stuff seems real bad (for lance), and there's so few gem slots on anything

sig.gif
  • Options
    my armour is all tier 4 & 5 because all of the 6 & 7 stuff seems real bad (for lance), and there's so few gem slots on anything

Lance really requires a lvl 3 guard talisman to get any kind of decent armor, since all the guard skills are stuck on kind of garbagey sets.

• Options

Lance really requires a lvl 3 guard talisman to get any kind of decent armor, since all the guard skills are stuck on kind of garbagey sets.

Diablos?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »

Diablos?

3 level 2 slots.

For comparison, my GS build has 6 (Well, 1 level 3 and 5 level 2).

You can get Guard X2 and speed sharpening on Basarios Vambraces and knock 2 pieces of the Diablos S set out for pieces with more functionality, like the Spio waist.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Diablos?

3 level 2 slots.

You can get Guard X2 and speed sharpening on Basarios Vambraces and knock 2 pieces of the Diablos S set out for pieces with more functionality, like the Spio waist.

That's dropping a point of offensive guard on the Diablos arms.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

Yeah a lot of the silkbinds aren't really locked into muscle memory so you're probably right. I was a little unclear what rapid morph does for you. I'm usually switching the weapon as part of a combo instead of going through the switch animation, does it just make the combo go faster?
    faster animations and more damage

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So does anyone have a dual blades tutorial? I tried them out last night on an HR hunt, and I didn't cart, but it felt like I was just kind of flailing around.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Woo finished my all around bow set. Uses the anjanath bow with brutal shot and I have 289 attack power now. I basically blast things in the face for a ton of damage and don't really have to worry about elemental anything. Now I can just work on finishing all the quests for checkmarks and silkbind skills. Probably will put a set together for switch axe or sns to mess with too. It would be a treat playing melee and not taking 75% of my health in damage from being too greedy.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    The 3 major skills you can't go wrong with are Weakness Exploit, Attack, and Critical Eye.

Honestly there's so few skill slots available that it's hard to specialize yet, and it's difficult to say no to the kind of DPS increase those skills give you.

It's tricky for me because I play a lot of charge blade and gunlance. The charge blade's phial attacks and the gunlance shells/wyrmfire aren't affected by affinity and seem to be kind of weird with sharpness, and the gunlance stuff isn't even affected by attack. That's not to say that those skills are just bad for them though because the damage your actual weapon does is important too, but they're definitely less important than for other weapons.

• Options

Diablos?

3 level 2 slots.

Yup.

I'd rather have 50% extra affinity hitting weak points with Weakness Exploit and building up to the extra 35% damage crits do with a Narga lance with +Affinity ramp up (Both bring you up to 91%), not to mention more gem slots for attack+ gems, then 15% at most extra damage from offensive guard.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Christ, it took 40+ runs but Anjanath finally dropped his gem.

At least I got really good at the fight by the end of it; if I ever start speedrunning monsters in this game I know who to start with.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021

It's tricky for me because I play a lot of charge blade and gunlance. The charge blade's phial attacks and the gunlance shells/wyrmfire aren't affected by affinity and seem to be kind of weird with sharpness, and the gunlance stuff isn't even affected by attack. That's not to say that those skills are just bad for them though because the damage your actual weapon does is important too, but they're definitely less important than for other weapons.

I think Special Ammo is what you want for phial charges (could be VERY wrong)edit: It's Load Shells you want for phials,, but WEX will still effect the actual CB SAED blade damage which is still a good chunk of the damage you're going to do.

I guess I should've made a caveat than I don't do bowguns.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I take it that you didn't play MHF2 or MH Tri? Because that's kinda how it felt when things just stopped at High Rank, after playing G-Rank stuff in the bigger MH games.

EDIT: We get a bump at the end of April, with more monsters and HR 8 (HR 999, really) coming up.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Also, I'm fairly certain I've heard both the Handler and the Team Leaders voice actors when hunting in groups.

I'm guessing it's the same localization team.

• Options
    Also, I'm fairly certain I've heard both the Handler and the Team Leaders voice actors when hunting in groups.

This is the first thing that makes me want to swap to english voices.

Does she say pard? Please tell me she says pard.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    ph blake wrote: »

This is the first thing that makes me want to swap to english voices.

Does she say pard? Please tell me she says pard.

All I've heard is "I'M HERE TO HELP" and if it's not her, it's a dead ringer.

Edit: It appears Eden Riegel is credited in MH:Rise, so I guess I did hear her.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Also, I had to switch my voice acting from Japanese to English because I unknowingly picked the female voice that sounds exactly like Naruto when fighting and I just can't do it.

• Options
    Does WEX work with Crit Element?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    You can switch your voice in appearance.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

You cannot.

You can switch between your chosen voice and DLC voices. Or at least, that's all I had the option to do.

• Options
    what the fuck did they feed that mizutsune

• Options
    edited April 2021

Diablos?

3 level 2 slots.

Yup.

I'd rather have 50% extra affinity hitting weak points with Weakness Exploit and building up to the extra 35% damage crits do with a Narga lance with +Affinity ramp up (Both bring you up to 91%), not to mention more gem slots for attack+ gems, then 15% at most extra damage from offensive guard.

Weakness Exploit 3 is less damage than Offensive Guard 3. 15% attack is better than 50% affinity (which is only 12.5% more damage). Additionally, Offensive Guard stacks multiplicatively with affinity.

You need Crit Boost to get that 35% bonus damage, crits are 25% baseline.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    344bovra1pz5.png

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

You cannot.

You can switch between your chosen voice and DLC voices. Or at least, that's all I had the option to do.

ahh I never clicked I thought you could. well that sucks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    Does WEX work with Crit Element?

WEX does, yes, crit boost is the one that doesn't work with crit ele. According to my understanding, the elemental portion of your damage cannot normally crit. So crit boost just effects the raw damage portion of your attacks that crit, while crit ele allows the elemental portion to crit as well, receiving the bonus damage from the crit ele skill (but this elemental crit is not effected by crit boost).

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    So gunlance shells and wrymfire aren't affected by attack and can't crit (affinity)? I'm guessing they can't weakness exploit or anything either? Kind of makes it easier to ignore most of these armours.

Do gunlance shells count as blunt/stunning?

sig.gif
  • Options
    So gunlance shells and wrymfire aren't affected by attack and can't crit (affinity)? I'm guessing they can't weakness exploit or anything either? Kind of makes it easier to ignore most of these armours.

Nope, gunlance shells are basically just pure damage. I don't think hitboxes apply either? They just do straight damage.

• Options
    edited April 2021

You've basically got Artillery and Load Shells

Last I knew, Gunlance didn't do KO damage

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Sharpness affect shelling damage as well, so those boosts work.

• Options

Sharpness affect shelling damage as well, so those boosts work.

Oh damn, handicraft helps with it?

• Options
    Is there a way to check the increase provided by Handicraft 2, versus w/e is listed on Kiranico or whomever?