As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Now with dungeons and/or dragons

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    t17o4vqcgxlk.png

let's just give blue-green a wrath and see what happens, sure. little a pie break, as a treat

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it's not a wrath, it just smushes all the creatures together

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    it's much easier to deal with one creature token, especially in blue. card seems really good to me

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mana burn is also not a problem, just do math.

Killing mana burn opened up design space. It isn't something they use often, granted, but removing the rule was a net positive.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Killing mana burn opened up design space. It isn't something they use often, granted, but removing the rule was a net positive.

But now how am I supposed to win with my Mana Web?

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    nah I should stay away from competitive games, especially ones with quick one more game attraction like this and MOBAs and fighting games, I know they eventually get me tilted as seen in this thread. It ain't healthy.

Playing on arena is a pain sometimes. I got burned out in it a while ago because of how competitive it can be. I've admitted in one of these threads that I've never made a good deck. It's not from lack of knowledge or cards available to me. It's because I like having fun and I only really have that at the kitchen table or when drafting and playing sealed amongst friends. That's really not a part of arena in my opinion and I think it's worse off for that.

I don't know if you play paper but I hope you get the chance to whenever this covid stuff passes. If you can find a good shop and some other fun players to get at it with you'll find much more enjoyment. At least that's what I think.

Anyways you wanna play against my infect deck? It's a lot of fun...

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    paper's too expensive is the problem with that, otherwise I agree though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

But now how am I supposed to win with my Mana Web?

In a 7-round Extended tournament in late 2000 I did over 300 damage to my opponents with forced manaburn from this fucking stupid thing.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=4758&type=card

Having said that, manaburn being gone is a net positive for the game.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Which color is perfect for a mana burn enchantment? Feels like it's a red/white thing

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Seems like it could be funny with some changelings and a bit of ramp

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Which color is perfect for a mana burn enchantment? Feels like it's a red/white thing

Honestly the Commander Legends lizard in Jund colors feels perfect. Green is the king of mana, red and black both dabble in "use this before it hurts you".

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Eat the early removal to make room for the Kraken, and I don't play combo, I just play Protean Hulk.

I'm just talking rude kitchen table, not true competitive. I realize I'm usually the odd man out around here. I just brew and play these days. Maybe when this is all over I'll get back into tournaments or something, but I haven't played more than a few friends over webcam and my family in a long time.

Edit: Also, seems fun?

Let me clarify: In my experience in EDH, nobody ever believes that Protean Hulk is used for anything fair and will prevent it from hitting the table or exile it to avoid the death trigger. Certainly, nobody kills it for you.

So entomb+reanimating a Hulk draws "I am trying to win the game" ire, while doing the same for a sea monster does not. If things play out differently for you, then it night work out, but I'd FoW a Hulk reanimarion and might not even bother with the Serpent until it was threatening lethal with several kraken

I ate an engineer
    Whippy wrote: »
    t17o4vqcgxlk.png

let's just give blue-green a wrath and see what happens, sure. little a pie break, as a treat

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/647857765365301248/is-oversimplify-a-break

It is a bend, which makes sense. Curse of the Swine already exists, and the effect is very mono-blue besides one big token instead of a token per creature.

I ate an engineer
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I went and looked up protean hulk to see what formats it's legal in, and I feel like it used to be banned in some, or am I misremembering? I know there's some combination of cards that use it to win the game the first time you recieve priority.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Flash + Hulk.

Protean Hulk was banned in Commander, then unbanned despite it being a bad idea, and then after repeatedly rejecting community feedback the Commander rules committee eventually banned Flash.

I ate an engineer
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It definitely got Flash banned in a few at least.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Listen person at R&D, Simic is my favorite guild too but maybe chill like, a little bit.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Really, the blue/green is just juiced as fuck right now. Has been for a few sets. I'm not a fan of how overwhelming green is getting.

Anon the Felon on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    It’s a corrective swing from green being the worst color for literally the entire history of the game

edited April 2021
    And UG being the worst non-EDH color combination, too.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    It’s a corrective swing from green being the worst color for literally the entire history of the game

It's this. And they are going to be slowing down on pushing Green soon (a year or so?) and will start pushing White. This push has already begun, so here's hoping they don't go insane with it like they did for Green

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people have been saying they're pushing green for as long as i've been playing mtg

liEt3nH.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    They have! Carnage Tyrant wasn't too long ago and Thragtusk before that and Tarmogoyf and Wild Nacatl and Devoted Druid and Heritage Druid and Melira (not malaria autocorrect)

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    I think there was something like an 4 or 5 year span where there was not a single forest in standard Pro Tour top 8s. And then Wild Mongrel hit and we went another 3 years or so once people found out Dr. Teeth was better.

There's always going to be a worst color, just by the nature of things there has to be. But I will be fucked if I will ever put money on the worst color being blue.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    ltfiarx3rinl.png

Now that is a fog

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Blue's slice of the color pie is pretty much everything that matters to winning the game, stack based removal and the ability to generate more resources. While a color like White gets things like life gain and small creatures with first strike.

It's also annoying how many keywords for creatures in the game have to do with making blocking worse when creatures attacking and being blocked by other creatures is rarely how the game plays out. Flying, Trample, Deathtouch, First strike, Menace, Reach, Vigilance don't do anything when the normal way of interacting with creatures outside of limited is spell based.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    ltfiarx3rinl.png

Now that is a fog

I think that pretty much wins the game if it resolves and they can't clear the swarm.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ltfiarx3rinl.png

Now that is a fog

I think that pretty much wins the game if it resolves and they can't clear the swarm.

Commander card.

I ate an engineer
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    ltfiarx3rinl.png

Now that is a fog

Commander card.

Oh, missed that. Still creates a ton of firepower potentially.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    aww, only combat damage

can't do silly things with Volcano Hellion

ltfiarx3rinl.png

Now that is a fog

Commander card.

Still super powerful but yeah being intended for multiplayer makes it far less backbreaking. Usually.

Although I'd put it in a deck with Corpse Knight effects because that's the way I play...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I think there was something like an 4 or 5 year span where there was not a single forest in standard Pro Tour top 8s. And then Wild Mongrel hit and we went another 3 years or so once people found out Dr. Teeth was better.

There's always going to be a worst color, just by the nature of things there has to be. But I will be fucked if I will ever put money on the worst color being blue.

Blue was the worst color for a bit during GRN. Mono-white/Boros aggro, mono Red frenzy, and Golgari explore were the good decks.

I ate an engineer
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Having Commander only cards coming out at the same time, with the same setting as your new standard legal set is exceptionally confusing and dumb i m o

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doing spoilers before the set comes out is weird and probably bad but I like sharing the setting if theyre going to keep doing one offs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    It's also worth noting that effects like that are really good with temporary lands, sacrifice on ETB lands (Lotus Vale), and Ravnica-era Karoos.

I guess Borderposts, too, but I've literally never seen anyone play one of those outside of limited.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Flash + Hulk.

Protean Hulk was banned in Commander, then unbanned despite it being a bad idea, and then after repeatedly rejecting community feedback the Commander rules committee eventually banned Flash.

They didn't wanted to do it because it was the "bad part" of the community (read: people not playing Commander The Way It Was Intended) asking for it. They banned several big green beaters with dumb Enters The Battlefield triggers before (see: Primeval Titan, Sylvan Primordial), but Hulk just had to get unbanned because reasons.

Sylvan Primordial and Primeval Titan being banned in Commander but not Omniscience or Dream Halls or [insert blue card here that says "take an extra turn"] is just such a fucking slap in the face. I still have no idea what the rationale behind the Commander committee's decisions are in that regard.

edited April 2021
    The commander banlist is incredibly dumb but neither primetime nor omniscience are anywhere near good enough to be banned.

Dockside extortionist, though...

milski on
    I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.