As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    If I ordered an old fashioned at a bar and it was made with scotch, that wouldn't be what I ordered, and I'd send it back. It kind of is a rule!

If you ordered an old fashioned at a bar without specifying which bourbon/whiskey you wanted in the drink, you'd end up with well alcohol no matter what kind, which would be awful regardless.

This is not my experience at all! At restaurants and bars here, it's pretty unusual to specify which whiskey you want in your old fashioned (or any cocktail ingredients), and kind of gauche unless you frame it as a special request — cocktails are priced and calculated based on standardized ingredients and amounts, and substitutions and alterations generate extra work for the bartender or server

I mean if it's on a menu then sure.

I dunno, maybe this is an American thing? If you order a standard cocktail off-menu you're probably getting well. Maybe at a nicer bar they'll give you something decent?

Specifying what alcohol you want in a drink shouldn't make it harder to price; the money's all in the alcohol, you just ring it up as, say, "Buffalo Trace mixed drink" in the computer or something. If you're a server, you ring up Buffalo Trace and type in "Old Fashioned".

vRyue2p.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I don't think whiskey and coke is a trash drink at all

It's very tasty, significantly different from its individual parts, and very drinkable for people who don't like boozy drinks

It's almost exactly the same as a gin and tonic, let's be honest

Also the recipe for Coke is essentially just carbonated bitters

I ... 🤯

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    I did not see The Birdcage as a youth but I definitely saw My Beautiful Laundrette and young Daniel Day Lewis making out with a Pakistani boy in punk rock London

edit: lol accidentally replied to last night's conversation but FUCK IT

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    If I ordered an old fashioned at a bar and it was made with scotch, that wouldn't be what I ordered, and I'd send it back. It kind of is a rule!

If you ordered an old fashioned at a bar without specifying which bourbon/whiskey you wanted in the drink, you'd end up with well alcohol no matter what kind, which would be awful regardless.

This is not my experience at all! At restaurants and bars here, it's pretty unusual to specify which whiskey you want in your old fashioned (or any cocktail ingredients), and kind of gauche unless you frame it as a special request — cocktails are priced and calculated based on standardized ingredients and amounts, and substitutions and alterations generate extra work for the bartender or server

I dunno, maybe this is an American thing? If you order a standard cocktail off-menu you're probably getting well. Maybe at a nicer bar they'll give you something decent?

Specifying what alcohol you want in a drink shouldn't make it harder to price; the money's all in the alcohol, you just ring it up as, say, "Buffalo Trace mixed drink" in the computer or something. If you're a server, you ring up Buffalo Trace and type in "Old Fashioned".

Yeah, they wouldn't have four different kinds of gin on the shelf if they weren't prepared to use the fancy ones instead of well gin/Beefeater. It's not like it trips them up when you get a craft brew instead of bud light.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    54uzzb.jpg?width=305&height=300

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It’s been an interesting development over the last few months, the notion that I will be finished with transition sometime in the next year or so. Until I realized this, I had kinda been unwittingly stuck in the headspace I would be doing this indefinitely? Like, it’s been such a long, exhausting journey, and it would have still been so much longer if I wasn’t in Seattle, I had unconsciously just rolled all of this effort into my baseline daily expectation . . . and it’s just not so.

Which means now I’m facing this notion of what to do with my life.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    There’s some scotches that are sort of “Christmas flavored” instead of tasting like smoke or a bog they taste like toffee, stewed fruit, etc

They’re v good

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    Yeah @credeiki I'm too far in to stop, but I'll play the next one on commander. Then if that goes well, I am... legend... ><

Veteran is fairly satisfying in that e.g. I killed two sectopods, five elite advent troops, an andromedon, and three archons at once with a single shot taken against my troops, but I think I'll enjoy the hairier aspects of harder difficulties, as well as the challenge, because obviously if I managed that then I'm not being challenged appropriately. Good to do it on this difficulty first, though - getting wiped because of the error that led to this would be infuriating, I don't want to have fuckups due to weird misinterpreted edge cases, I want them to be because I made a mistake I could have reasonable avoided.
    credeiki wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    21st bought me XCOM 2 a few months back and I still need to get around to playing it because I've already got a ridiculous pileup of games I need to finish. EU/W is one of my favorite games of all time, I really need to get to 2.

it's one of my favorite games of all time, especially with WotC
    it is just...basically perfect at doing what it wants to do. Like I cannot point at an element of the game I'd like to change (ok fine the writing is dumb, but it's totally serviceable and also not important to the game)

@cB557 this is accurate, I think it's legitimately one of the best made games of all time. It doesn't do much that's super revolutionary or novel (like, it's not Undertale), but everything it does it does extremely well and purposefully. It knows what it's doing, and it does that, and it makes most aspect of it perfect, and things that were perfect last game even better. It has novel ideas about old systems, improving things in ways I wouldn't have thought of. It made the strategic part of the game, which I have disliked in almost every XCOM game, pretty tolerable. It does tiny things that are nice, like giving every engineer and scientist you have a face and name. The strategic layer now involves true and constant choices, instead of just waiting and reacting to events. I liked the story, too. It's masterful and I love it and now I'm going to go play it instead of doing work because a certain cat kept me up until 2AM last night, so my sleep is completely fucked and I can't think.

(I don't actually hate the writing either, though there are certain lines that are like "omg pls sir, talk like a normal person, not a B horror movie extra. 'I don't think there's water in that' is not a normal thing someone says when looking at a green glowing fluid")

I don't like the hero unit thing that the expansion and DLC add, but given that I don't like it, they did it in the least annoying way I've seen. So, yes. It's fantastic, I want XCOM 3 so much. It kind of reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy in how refined it is, and how much I'm like "yes, this is perfect, if I taught a year-long video game course, this game would be the capstone to the turn-based tactics module."

Shivahn on
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Yeah \credeiki I'm too far in to stop, but I'll play the next one on commander. Then if that goes well, I am... legend... ><
    21st bought me XCOM 2 a few months back and I still need to get around to playing it because I've already got a ridiculous pileup of games I need to finish. EU/W is one of my favorite games of all time, I really need to get to 2.

it is just...basically perfect at doing what it wants to do. Like I cannot point at an element of the game I'd like to change (ok fine the writing is dumb, but it's totally serviceable and also not important to the game)

cB557 this is accurate, I think it's legitimately one of the best made games of all time. It doesn't do much that's super revolutionary or novel (like, it's not Undertale), but everything it does it does extremely well and purposefully. It knows what it's doing, and it does that, and it makes most aspect of it perfect, and things that were perfect last game even better. It has novel ideas about old systems, improving things in ways I wouldn't have thought of. It made the strategic part of the game, which I have disliked in almost every XCOM game, pretty tolerable. It does tiny things that are nice, like giving every engineer and scientist you have a face and name. The strategic layer now involves true and constant choices, instead of just waiting and reacting to events. I liked the story, too. It's masterful and I love it and now I'm going to go play it instead of doing work because a certain cat kept me up until 2AM last night, so my sleep is completely fucked and I can't think.

(I don't actually hate the writing either, though there are certain lines that are like "omg pls sir, talk like a normal person, not a B horror movie extra. 'I don't think there's water in that' is not a normal thing someone says when looking at a green glowing fluid")

I don't like the hero unit thing that the expansion and DLC add, but given that I don't like it, they did it in the least annoying way I've seen. So, yes. It's fantastic, I want XCOM 3 so much. It kind of reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy in how refined it is, and how much I'm like "yes, this is perfect, if I taught a year-long video game course, this game would be the capstone to the turn-based tactics module."

Did you ever try XCOM: Chimera Squad?

Kamiro on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If it doesn't taste like a bog troll's taint it isn't Scotch

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It’s been an interesting development over the last few months, the notion that I will be finished with transition sometime in the next year or so. Until I realized this, I had kinda been unwittingly stuck in the headspace I would be doing this indefinitely? Like, it’s been such a long, exhausting journey, and it would have still been so much longer if I wasn’t in Seattle, I had unconsciously just rolled all of this effort into my baseline daily expectation . . . and it’s just not so.

Have you considered going into nursing?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    There’s some scotches that are sort of “Christmas flavored” instead of tasting like smoke or a bog they taste like toffee, stewed fruit, etc

They’re v good

Tell me more about this

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I started playing Outriders and I’m not sure if I’m having fun or not

can you feel the struggle within?
    Aioua wrote: »

ew gross

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Theres always Super Saiyan II

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Theres always Super Saiyan II

Wowoman

Six wrote: »

Isn’t it just a Destiny reskin?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

You would make a good Dread PIrate Roberts Nurse Roberts:

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

They’re v good

Tell me more about this

Aberlour, off the top of my head

Lots of port finish Speysides

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

You have a good job

You live in a good place

You know good people

Whatever the hell you want, you got the basics down.

Some people seem to be really rebelling against that comparison and I haven’t played destiny so I don’t really know. It’s a shooter. There’s loot. There’s cover. You have powers. There’s no micro transactions as far as I can tell. You can’t seem to pause it.

I’m just through the tutorial at this point. It’s a lot of hopping from cover to cover and shooting which I kind of dig even though I only ever played Gears of War 1.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Okay I guess the Speysides I like are "stewed fruit" kinda pours

I haven't tasted much toffee in scotch

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Some people seem to be really rebelling against that comparison and I haven’t played destiny so I don’t really know. It’s a shooter. There’s loot. There’s cover. You have powers. There’s no micro transactions as far as I can tell. You can’t seem to pause it.

I’m just through the tutorial at this point. It’s a lot of hopping from cover to cover and shooting which I kind of dig even though I only ever played Gears of War 1.

Number shooters. *Plllllllbbbbbbttttt*

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Okay I guess the Speysides I like are "stewed fruit" kinda pours

I haven't tasted much toffee in scotch

oh hmm I wonder if that's the flavor I usually interprete as "yeast" and gag on...

tend to stick to islay where I get my nice smoky flavor flavs

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Yeah \credeiki I'm too far in to stop, but I'll play the next one on commander. Then if that goes well, I am... legend... ><

cB557 this is accurate, I think it's legitimately one of the best made games of all time. It doesn't do much that's super revolutionary or novel (like, it's not Undertale), but everything it does it does extremely well and purposefully. It knows what it's doing, and it does that, and it makes most aspect of it perfect, and things that were perfect last game even better. It has novel ideas about old systems, improving things in ways I wouldn't have thought of. It made the strategic part of the game, which I have disliked in almost every XCOM game, pretty tolerable. It does tiny things that are nice, like giving every engineer and scientist you have a face and name. The strategic layer now involves true and constant choices, instead of just waiting and reacting to events. I liked the story, too. It's masterful and I love it and now I'm going to go play it instead of doing work because a certain cat kept me up until 2AM last night, so my sleep is completely fucked and I can't think.

Yes. I am not sure how I feel about the turn order. I love having aliens in my crew. I will run 100% snake women 100% of the time if given the opportunity.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

Yes. I am not sure how I feel about the turn order. I love having aliens in my crew. I will run 100% snake women 100% of the time if given the opportunity.

XCOM: Snek Squad plz.

You have a good job

You live in a good place

You know good people

Whatever the hell you want, you got the basics down.

Yeah! This is all true. Which makes me think I need to spend more time devoted to something altruistic or enriching. Doing more trans outreach or charity work, or just taking up more artistic stuff.

My cousin runs a pretty big national charity, maybe I should ask her if there’s anyway to get involved in more activism

Is it ftp?

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Maybe we should make a game where instead of shooting violent numbers at others we should shoot love numbers at each other.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Maybe we should make a game where instead of shooting violent numbers at others we should shoot love numbers at each other.

qsinondompg0.jpeg

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    we talking about shlooters in here?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay

Is it ftp?

It’s on console Game Pass but not PC I don’t think.

Also I didn’t finish the thought. I only ever played Gears 1 but really dug kill.switch on the Xbox and this feels similar.

I don’t think I can play multi yet but it seems like it would be fun that way.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Well the cat brought back another live mouse.

This was fine when she was killing and eating them, but instead she wants to play with them until she gets bored and then let's them go.

And it turns out I don't know how to kill a mouse at 2.30am so I just released it into the storm drain outside.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I went in and told the wife that my allergies were really acting up today and then I threw up 15 playing cards.

She giggled and now it's cemented that I'm spending 30 minutes a day with sleight of hand.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

qsinondompg0.jpeg

I would have gone with Gal Gun

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    @bloodyroarxx I'm going to repost this from a chat or so ago because I think you'd did it, but also because who doesn't like playing more free games that are fuuuuuuuuun.

https://youtu.be/NK0bCEVn3_0

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

A caveat is you would really only do this with basic cocktails like a martini or manhattan or old fashioned

I think it would be kind of gauche in the US to request a different kind of liquor than the one listed in a complicated cocktail

But if I saw that they had Barr hill gin I would ask for a Barr hill martini

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The thing I really love about Chimera Squad is how it's all killer, no filler. I love XCOM and other turn-based tacti-kill games to death but man I do not like hustling dudes across a huge map six squares at a time for 20 minutes to get to the next fight.

rRwz9.gif
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

qsinondompg0.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_Gun
    The game takes place in a fictional academy in Japan, where the player takes the role of a male student, Tenzou Motesugi. He must shoot his female classmates, who are running desperately after him, with "Pheromone Arrows" to prevent them from making their partner, while he finds one of the four lead girls before sunset.

I would post screenshots, but the game is WAY too pervy for that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm starting a gofundme for a globe encompassing orbital ring

This discussion has been closed.