As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outriders] Ride and die (a lot).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I swear every fucking one of these games has this loot issue except for Marvels avengers and that's more that game didn't have an endgame so loot didn't fucking matter at all.

I can not stand how every one does the "let me nerf drops even though for most of the playerbase who aren't "exploiting" (and lets be honest how is it a fucking exploit to boss farm or rerun bounties when it appeared that was why you did that in the first place) aren't getting them.

I'll revise my statement on outriders longevity. Absolutely fucked, it'll be forgotten in a month.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    its totally fine for bullet skills to be brought back inline because they are so obviously broken

eg ignite ammo for pyro being a 25% anomaly power buff AND an aoe ignite AND a shots pierce buff AND deal skill damage vs every other conceivable pyro skill in that slot is just so hard to compete with its baffling. this is further complicated by that skill damage buff is then multiplied out by crit damage and so on

even just as a raw buff for a skill build when you compare it to eg overheat that 1) does zero damage 2) has a reasonable cooldown and no double stack charge in base mods 3) has a conditional ap buff that doesnt scale a % with other flat bonuses and requires high level base gear to slot into for the value to pay off 4) requires setup that is, wait for it, best achieved by using ignite ammo..5) literally lets you ignite people who you have no los to because it turns your bullets into magic railgun shots that dispense ignite to all and sundry which is functionality that cannot be replicated by the status mods on weapons

its a single player game theres no loss people just gotta faceplant. bringing down the obvious stupid stuff to get your skills in a similar power zone then figuring out where to go from there is sensible because otherwise your high-level play tells you nothing about balance other than "these skills are dumb" which you already knew. the ammo skills are always going to be harder scaling because of how they interact with weapons scaling independently

re: legendaries

never seen one but im assuming they are expeditions only, but have not yet finished campaign because was away for last week. i am surprised by this cos of all the people i know who farmed legendaries in the beta but maybe they had higher rates to reward people doing that as a carryover

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I don't think the exploit was finishing the run and simply starting it again though, but still. Seriously disappointing. No idea how my Trickster will even play with this bundle of class nerfs I'll be fed.

BUT! They were kind enough to point out that it was a separate team that nerfs all the things, independent of the team that fixes the things. This nerf to ammo answers the question of reload abilities eating my special ammo up though, so I can use those mods... but meh.

really going hard into doing the same annoying things that "service" games do.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    its totally fine for bullet skills to be brought back inline because they are so obviously broken

eg ignite ammo for pyro being a 25% anomaly power buff AND an aoe ignite AND a shots pierce buff AND deal skill damage vs every other conceivable pyro skill in that slot is just so hard to compete with its baffling. this is further complicated by that skill damage buff is then multiplied out by crit damage and so on

even just as a raw buff for a skill build when you compare it to eg overheat that 1) does zero damage 2) has a reasonable cooldown and no double stack charge in base mods 3) has a conditional ap buff that doesnt scale a % with other flat bonuses and requires high level base gear to slot into for the value to pay off 4) requires setup that is, wait for it, best achieved by using ignite ammo..5) literally lets you ignite people who you have no los to because it turns your bullets into magic railgun shots that dispense ignite to all and sundry which is functionality that cannot be replicated by the status mods on weapons

its a single player game theres no loss people just gotta faceplant. bringing down the obvious stupid stuff to get your skills in a similar power zone then figuring out where to go from there is sensible because otherwise your high-level play tells you nothing about balance other than "these skills are dumb" which you already knew. the ammo skills are always going to be harder scaling because of how they interact with weapons scaling independently

re: legendaries

never seen one but im assuming they are expeditions only, but have not yet finished campaign because was away for last week. i am surprised by this cos of all the people i know who farmed legendaries in the beta but maybe they had higher rates to reward people doing that as a carryover

They aren't expedition only, going up world tier is supposed to make them more likely to drop. Like expeditions feel like they are balanced around you at least having a group of legendaries to use, but how you get them is a big ??? to me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    right sorry didnt mean they were totally exclusive but just that the way it was balanced it meant for most players you see 1-2 at most before hitting expeditions

that seems to be what most peoples experience has been?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The mod that reloads as you roll is one of my favorite shotgun mods.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    right sorry didnt mean they were totally exclusive but just that the way it was balanced it meant for most players you see 1-2 at most before hitting expeditions

that seems to be what most peoples experience has been?

If that's the intent that seems insane considering the level you have to be at in expeditions to get "guaranteed" legendary and you need to hit like gold which for me as my devastator I have not done by a long shot.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    And its down again.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    What's the current state with bounties and legendaries? Is it that each individual bounty at endgame gives you a legendary reward or that each time you beat all of them you get the legendary?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, so far the only legendaries I've seen, at WT8 on one character and WT9 on another, a good chunk through the story, are both ones that you get guaranteed as part of particular story quest. I have a friend who somehow got one world drop legendary during the demo. The drop rate seems to be miniscule so far. I can't imagine how much grinding the people who got all the legendaries did during the demo.

My complaint with this update is that because of how stupid their UI is (I think some of it is due to trying to map everything to a controller for consoles. I don't usually leap to put the blame there but it feels like it's the case in some of the weird controls I've seen, e.g. the lobby) if you launch the game on PC while it's down for maintenance, it's literally impossible to exit the game without killing it from the task manager.
    The only button that does anything on the main screen is spacebar to login. But you can't login, you get a maintenance message. You hit Esc to clear that, but it just takes you back to the login screen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Right now when you run the table (all 10) you get a guaranteed legendary. That is going to get nerfed, so if you can farm that before they nerf it you can get some legendaries, but that's betting against the game crashing or the servers going down which is not great either direction.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    Right now when you run the table (all 10) you get a guaranteed legendary. That is going to get nerfed, so if you can farm that before they nerf it you can get some legendaries, but that's betting against the game crashing or the servers going down which is not great either direction.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of hearing. Running all of them for one guaranteed seems like it's actually a good idea, having small sources of deterministic loot is good. Limit the drop poolof you don't want people getting every item in the game
    Edit: nevermind, their modular item system breaks this

Carpy on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

These nerfs should be live already though so unless you've got a time machine....

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

These nerfs should be live already though so unless you've got a time machine....

Do you have a time machine? o_O
    As of today, the deployment of this patch is scheduled for next week, as we are using this week to identify as many severe issues as possible, fix them and then thoroughly test the changes across all platforms. Submission through platform holders adds on a little bit of time as well, which is why we are not able to deploy this patch any earlier.

Console versions tend to not be done at the same time as PC version updates due to certs, etc. So we (consoles) may have more time between the notes and their impact.

Notes posted today

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I started this on my PS5, got through the first mission up to the point when you pick your class. As I was reading the class descriptions... the server went down, inexplicably.

Who was the first person that thought “always online or we kick you to the curb” was a good fucking idea? That person needs a metaphorical swift kick to the genitals.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The ability nerfs are backend hot fixes, not sure if they need to patch to change the drops.

• Options

Do you have a time machine? o_O
    As of today, the deployment of this patch is scheduled for next week, as we are using this week to identify as many severe issues as possible, fix them and then thoroughly test the changes across all platforms. Submission through platform holders adds on a little bit of time as well, which is why we are not able to deploy this patch any earlier.

Console versions tend to not be done at the same time as PC version updates due to certs, etc. So we (consoles) may have more time between the notes and their impact.

Notes posted today
    This re-balancing work can be implemented through backend updates, does not require a patch, and will be run during today’s maintenance window.

• Options
    I mean it wouldn't surprise me if they nerfed drops before they fixed stability because I imagine they could do one without a patch, but that would be beyond fuck you, beyond the reduction in drops to begin with.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I mean it wouldn't surprise me if they nerfed drops before they fixed stability because I imagine they could do one without a patch, but that would be beyond fuck you, beyond the reduction in drops to begin with.

Apparently, whenever their maintenance window for today will be when it happens. Didn't see that.

edit: hopefully this won't result in a funky disconnect between our version's power descriptions saying one thing, but the server actually doing another... seen that elsewhere.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Anyway, it's a guaranteed grindable source that's being taken away and that sucks, but imo it's hardly the end of the world. It's fairly clear that their intention is that the actual legendary grind is meant to be attached to expeditions (either through RNG or purchasing through resources), and the guaranteed sources outside of that (WT rewards, first time completion of these quests, a few other quests that reward legendaries, etc) are meant to be what gets you started on that grind.

It's obviously not a good change but there's a lot of doom and gloom over it which feels pretty premature.

As far as the other nerfs go, I think a lot of people saw these changes coming. There were a couple builds that were just insanely better than anything else and made soloing CT15 content too easy before investing in actual gear. I think their biggest mistake here is that they didn't buff anything either, if they could have at least met people halfway that might have gone over better.

Basically, I don't think the individual changes are necessarily the worst thing but it sets a really bad precedent when your first balance pass is literally just "nerf, nerf, nerf" soooo...

• Options
    edited April 2021

Apparently, whenever their maintenance window for today is will be when it happens. Didn't see that.

edit: hopefully this won't result in a funky disconnect between our version's power descriptions saying one thing, but the server actually doing another... seen that elsewhere.

That maintenance window was a little under 2 hours ago, heh. Like literally these balance notes came up right as they were putting in the changes. They're live already but the server stability has been rough since then so not sure how many people have actually had a chance to mess with the changes.

Edit: though I'm basing that on the servers came back up momentarily, that might have been unintentional I guess and they're meant to still be under maintenance, who knows.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Any loot nerf blows, especially again since legendaries are anemic as is, and the effects they grant makes doing expeditions actually viable versus right now again where they don't feel at all viable.

And as far as doom and gloom, its because I've played almost everyone of these games as service or loot shooters or whatever, and every fucking one that does a first patch or first week loot nerf outside of destiny and diablo 3 "our game is fucked because we don't grasp that people want more loot and not less of it."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Anyway, it's a guaranteed grindable source that's being taken away and that sucks, but imo it's hardly the end of the world. It's fairly clear that their intention is that the actual legendary grind is meant to be attached to expeditions (either through RNG or purchasing through resources), and the guaranteed sources outside of that (WT rewards, first time completion of these quests, a few other quests that reward legendaries, etc) are meant to be what gets you started on that grind.

It's obviously not a good change but there's a lot of doom and gloom over it which feels pretty premature.

As far as the other nerfs go, I think a lot of people saw these changes coming. There were a couple builds that were just insanely better than anything else and made soloing CT15 content too easy before investing in actual gear. I think their biggest mistake here is that they didn't buff anything either, if they could have at least met people halfway that might have gone over better.

Basically, I don't think the individual changes are necessarily the worst thing but it sets a really bad precedent when your first balance pass is literally just "nerf, nerf, nerf" soooo...

The problem with changes like that—especially when those who benefit from the exploit have no repercussions—is it just perpetuates and encourages exploitation early. Outriders isn't unique in implementing majestic bridge solutions like this.

Also, the changes do not seem to be active on console, as my cooldown for Twisted Rounds is still 15 seconds.

• Options

The problem with changes like that—especially when those who benefit from the exploit have no repercussions—is it just perpetuates and encourages exploitation early. Outriders isn't unique in implementing majestic bridge solutions like this.

Also, the changes do not seem to be active on console, as my cooldown for Twisted Rounds is still 15 seconds.

Yep rich get richer, and that creates a haves and have nots, and then they start to balance around the haves when the have nots don't/can't get access to those drops. Like the haves can run expeditions and nail golds because they've got gear, the have nots can't and then they don't get better drops and are locked out of it.

On top of stability (both server and random crashes), and that there is no multiplayer lobby to like put like minded players together before an expedition I don't see the game having any kind of life.

Like last night I tried to do some expeditions in multiplayer, 6 attempts 3 could not connects, 2 boots on joining one join of a dude who was confused why I was in his game.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

This is where I'm at. I get that it's annoying to have a possible guaranteed loot source taken away, especially after a subset of the players have exploited it...but also, who cares? There's really nothing competitive about this game. I don't even have a social space to go show off my phat lootz. I guess in the meta sense it sucks, but also has almost no direct bearing on my enjoyment of the game.

I do agree that the first balance patch being nothing but the nerf stick is a bad look, but also not shocking as this is the first time PFC will have data from this many players, across this many activities to work with. They made clear they want the "overpowered feeling" to stay, they recognize that in a mostly single player/co-op game, having overpowered builds is fine. So hopefully this is just a leveling out patch and we'll see them stick to that power fantasy in later patches.

Generally these days I just refuse to jump on the MMO style doom and gloom patch, the developers are just idiots, prognostications. I find it tiring when I was a big MMO player, and I find it tiring now. Rarely did a patch ever turn out as bad as the initial reactions to it would have you believe.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Any loot nerf blows, especially again since legendaries are anemic as is, and the effects they grant makes doing expeditions actually viable versus right now again where they don't feel at all viable.

And as far as doom and gloom, its because I've played almost everyone of these games as service or loot shooters or whatever, and every fucking one that does a first patch or first week loot nerf outside of destiny and diablo 3 "our game is fucked because we don't grasp that people want more loot and not less of it."

You can definitely run expeditions in epics though, even outside of the crazier builds. You won't be clearing the high ones that have the highest chance to give legendaries, no, but if you're not able to clear lower ones that have legendary drop rates that's a build problem, not that you don't have access to gear that can accomplish the job.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I just had a side mission and after it was over I got like 6 legendary weapons. That seems crazy? Is that happening to everyone?

I think it's a later mission by the time you get to this point.

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Nerfs are never going to be popular, but just always buffing stuff instead or leaving OP farming mechanisms in place to appease your fans is not a sustainable strategy either. If they do that then those same fans are going to run into the end of the game's content very quickly and be pissed that there isn't more to do. Balancing an ARPG is always a fine line between giving players what they want now versus withholding it from them until they play more. The same goes for every game's progression systems really, whether it's a service game or not.

Zek on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm glad they took away the Bounty and Hunting rewards: it was a boring grind that you could complete at a low world tier and turn in at a high one and get the legendary instead of rerunning campaign content or actual expeditions.

. . .it is still odd that those were the only quests you could run to get that behavior, which I'm sure is why some folks thought it was intentional. With the server issues being identified (and the change to matchmaking) it should make grinding expeditions easier with consistent parties and not getting dumped into AFK lobbies (or lobbies with folks clearly not doing expeditions).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Given that there's currently more character slots than classes, no reason to have more than one of each class because of free respecs, and you can always shove stuff in your stash to give to another character for use or dismantling, you can probably still have a high level person power a lower through for some of the guaranteed story legendaries anyway.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just had a side mission and after it was over I got like 6 legendary weapons. That seems crazy? Is that happening to everyone?

Sounds like you got lucky I did every side mission I never got multiple legendaries on any of them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Shotguns are fine, you just need the right mods.
    kwym0dqjfm5n.png

I have ruined a lot of days with this thing.

My go-to mod (on my Trickster) is an armor mod that gives unlimited free ammo for 5 seconds after you reload when you have a shield. I never run out of shotgun ammo and use it liberally.

Well, I don't have that mod and I don't really think you should have to rely on a mod like that to make the weapon useful at all.

If you're trickster just having anomaly rounds should be enough to not worry about ammo any more. Everything else is just icing on top to make yourself have unlimited anomaly rounds.

I also think that it's a good thing to have weapons be build arounds. Part of the fun of making a build come together is all the cool pieces and how they alleviate things. If shotguns didn't have limited ammo then the reward of getting to the point where you have unlimited ammo no longer feels like a reward. It's no longer a bonus of the build and instead just how things are which kinda... sucks the fun out of it! If a balance pass showed they were super behind even in burst damage than I could see a boost there to help balance them out(I don't have numbers and they feel fine to me so don't want to make any hard claims) but they would have to be real careful about the ammo. Because just a little bit too much and suddenly the mechanic no longer matters at all.

Unrelated:

Does all loot drop from every boss equally? Like if you want a specific armor set are there certain bosses to farm more or do they all have the exact same loot pools?

• Options
    GG Blood Seeker Effect Resistance spam. >_>

also dude has some extra reach or something stupid too. bleh, not worth doing another actual damage build until I finish the story and stuff though so I guess I'll have to let it go.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I gotta say about the loot nerf thing it seems especially dumb because the actual bug was a bug allowing people to get 10 legendaries at a time.

So... why not just fix the actual bug and leave the normal single repeatable legendary alone?

Makes no sense to remove the basic repeatable part because of another bug.

Like.. what? I really can't even wrap my head around how they came to that conclusion outside of them not being able to find a way to fix the bug properly and just doing this which is... yeesh.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Sounds like you got lucky I did every side mission I never got multiple legendaries on any of them.
    Spoilered for quest name:
    It was the end of the Outriders Legacy quest chain.

I got a legendary helmet, sniper rifle, rifle, machine gun, assault rifle, dougle gun, and pistols I think

b2ffyczsdhm7.png

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    Yeah I'm saying you got super lucky or I got absolutely screwed because I did that chain and I got one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nice.

• Options
    I gotta say about the loot nerf thing it seems especially dumb because the actual bug was a bug allowing people to get 10 legendaries at a time.

So... why not just fix the actual bug and leave the normal single repeatable legendary alone?

Like.. what? I really can't even wrap my head around how they came to that conclusion outside of them not being able to find a way to fix the bug properly and just doing this which is... yeesh.

Yeah that makes even less sense, I thought it was for doing all 10 and getting one armor or weapon, not getting 10 at a time. Fix the ten at a time, but keep the one legendary? Especially since the hitman quests you don't even get drops for killing the boss.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yeah that makes even less sense, I thought it was for doing all 10 and getting one armor or weapon, not getting 10 at a time. Fix the ten at a time, but keep the one legendary? Especially since the hitman quests you don't even get drops for killing the boss.

Yea there was a bug that if you kept all quests uncompleted and then turned them in together at the end each one would give you the legendary. And then you could rinse and repeat. So people were farming lots of legendaries like that.

And to fix it they removed the ability to repeat for even a single legendary... like.. huh?

• Options

Yea there was a bug that if you kept all quests uncompleted and then turned them in together at the end each one would give you the legendary. And then you could rinse and repeat. So people were farming lots of legendaries like that.

And to fix it they removed the ability to repeat for even a single legendary... like.. huh?

What's weird too is that now when you turn in the quest you get a random piece of epic gear? Like you don't even get to pick.

pleasepaypreacher.net