As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knockout [Chat]

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Remember when Weezer came out with Pork and Beans but they were all like 40 already so the rebel lyrics just came across as very Hello Fellow Kids.
    Bands that try to appeal to teenage rebellion have a very short shelf-life, I think, before it comes across as ingenuine.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If I ordered an old fashioned at a bar and it was made with scotch, that wouldn't be what I ordered, and I'd send it back. It kind of is a rule!

If you ordered an old fashioned at a bar without specifying which bourbon/whiskey you wanted in the drink, you'd end up with well alcohol no matter what kind, which would be awful regardless.

This is not my experience at all! At restaurants and bars here, it's pretty unusual to specify which whiskey you want in your old fashioned (or any cocktail ingredients), and kind of gauche unless you frame it as a special request — cocktails are priced and calculated based on standardized ingredients and amounts, and substitutions and alterations generate extra work for the bartender or server

I mean if it's on a menu then sure.

I dunno, maybe this is an American thing? If you order a standard cocktail off-menu you're probably getting well. Maybe at a nicer bar they'll give you something decent?

Specifying what alcohol you want in a drink shouldn't make it harder to price; the money's all in the alcohol, you just ring it up as, say, "Buffalo Trace mixed drink" in the computer or something. If you're a server, you ring up Buffalo Trace and type in "Old Fashioned".

Yep, Vee has it right.

It's pretty typical for bartenders* to respond to a classic cocktail order** by asking "what kind of whiskey/gin would you like?"

(* - In the cities I frequent, so San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland. ** - Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Martini, etc.)

If you say "whatever you usually use" then it depends on the bar. Most places will do one step up from well: Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Ford's, etc.

It might be different if it's extremely busy or loud, and the bartender just wants to crank through as many drinks as possible, or if the cocktail is on the menu. I'm just talking in generalities.

As for what goes into an old fashioned, technically an old fashioned can be made with any kind of brown liquor (any whiskey, brandy, cognac, or rum) or gin. The definition of an old fashioned is liquor with a little bit of sugar, bitters, and water (ice is fine). Garnish is fine. Muddled fruit is controversial; a lot of bartenders will muddle cherry or orange in an old fashioned but that's a relatively modern contrivance and technically wrong.

As for whether it would be appropriate for a bartender to hand you, say, a cognac or scotch old fashioned if you ordered "old fashioned" without specification: I'm not sure that's a rule, exactly. Maybe it's a linguistic rule, rather than a bartending rule? I'd liken it to a cheeseburger or a pizza. If you order a cheeseburger at a diner without looking at the menu, you're going to get the most common configuration: beef patty, american or cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, maybe pickles. You're not going to get a veggie patty or a portabello mushroom slice or BBQ sauce. Similarly, a pizza is generally presumed to have tomato sauce and mozzarella unless otherwise specified. That doesn't mean that a cheeseburger with a veggie patty or a fried egg is wrong, or that a pizza stops being "pizza" if it uses pesto instead of red sauce. They're just not the default.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    any suggestions for places to look for a new computer monitor to compare prices? I was thinking costco and best buy and amazon.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    unrelated to the vaccine but on my drive home i passed a lot for sale on one of those handwritten real estate boards and it had a website: OnlyLands.com

i haven't had the courage to find out if it's real but i am having a sensible chuckle

When you're not looking for sea men
    Check out Only Lands.
    Because ocean dwellers just don't understand

or

Thanks for subscribing to my Only Lands
    Here are some hot sexy pictures of the Gobi Desert

51I0AkZCcqL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Only Lands.

HAWT.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My vaccination appt is on April 15, the first day of general eligibility in the state of Washington.

However, I have to drive about 40 miles because I couldn't find anybody booking appts any closer.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

any suggestions for places to look for a new computer monitor to compare prices? I was thinking costco and best buy and amazon.

Those three, plus NewEgg, B&H Photo Video, Adorama Camera, and check the ratings on rtings.com.

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    unrelated to the vaccine but on my drive home i passed a lot for sale on one of those handwritten real estate boards and it had a website: OnlyLands.com

i haven't had the courage to find out if it's real but i am having a sensible chuckle

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

Oops, All Lands!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    My vaccination appt is on April 15, the first day of general eligibility in the state of Washington.

However, I have to drive about 40 miles because I couldn't find anybody booking appts any closer.

Moving to tx between shots and we’re gonna have to drive like 90 min each way

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

Oops, All Lands!

haha what the fuck

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Those three, plus NewEgg, B&H Photo Video, Adorama Camera, and check the ratings on rtings.com.

pcpartpicker works too

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Subnautica was the first game I played on my shiny new rig at the beginning of the Pandemic and holy crap that's one of my favorite game experiences to date. Exploration/Survival/Crafting free for alls don't do it for me AT ALL, but if you throw some narrative or mechanical framework on there (like Valheim also!) it turns out, that's my crack.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

Wow, not even dual lands, or full card art. I can't jack it to this!

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    JPants wrote: »
    Subnautica was the first game I played on my shiny new rig at the beginning of the Pandemic and holy crap that's one of my favorite game experiences to date. Exploration/Survival/Crafting free for alls don't do it for me AT ALL, but if you throw some narrative or mechanical framework on there (like Valheim also!) it turns out, that's my crack.

Subnautica did a good job with that. I haven't quite finished it. I definitely should.

Definitely pick up the sequel Below Zero, then.

It is living up to its predecessor, and is just coming up on leaving Early Access (The game is essentially content complete, but you can't finish it yet).

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

NF2McXvl.jpg

Sorry, is this more your kink, you perv?

8i1dt37buh2m.png

Subnautica did a good job with that. I haven't quite finished it. I definitely should.

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

LYrtvQ7.jpg

horny foil full art john avon lands want to meet you today

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

NF2McXvl.jpg

this Volcanic Island erasure

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

NF2McXvl.jpg

this Volcanic Island erasure
    That's only if you subscribe to OnlyLands. You have to hold some of it back until they hit that button.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The avon lands are so hot

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Nova_C wrote: »

It is living up to its predecessor, and is just coming up on leaving Early Access (The game is essentially content complete, but you can't finish it yet).

Good to hear. I was waiting on it to be complete.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    OH GOD YES THAT SWAMP IS SO FUCKING NAUGHTY

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    These horny MTG posts are making me think back to what I said just this morning
    Arch wrote: »
    Good morning perverts and pervettes

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    oh man

Guy less than 20 miles away has a CB650R for sale

That dealer in Indiana gave me a firesale price of 7k, this guy posted in Cycletrader for 8k and has already dropped to 7800, and it's got a lot of extras that the Indiana bike didn't (about 1k in parts)

I'd have to post and get an offer on mine...

More miles though (7000 vs 1500), and I had already decided I'm chasing something new too soon

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    whats the scientific term for being sexually aroused by landscape paintings

That dual land picture was taken when the post "What's your most expensive page of CCG in your binder?" was asked by one of my Facebook friends. I pretty much shut down discussion after showing that off.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

pervert

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

Tree fucker

Check out Only Lands.

or

Only Lands.

HAWT.

NF2McXvl.jpg

Check out this bad girl.
    dbdfttfnaphh.jpg

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i finally decided i had nothing better to buy from the Satisfactory AWESOME shop than the factory cart

i am not convinced it is any faster than running with bladerunners but it sure is entertaining trying to drive it and not fall over

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    The avon lands are so hot

John Avon sells giclees and posters of a lot of his art. We had large prints of the Unglued lands up on our living room for a while. They're classy-lookin'.

https://johnavonart.com/popular-sets/unstable-set

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Is the pop-in any better on that one? That's my one big issue with Subnautica, amazing landscapes that become a bit less cool because abstract geometry will remain until I get within a couple of meters sometimes.

I just got back into it and I'm having a blast. Allllmost got a Cyclops.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

Interesting, this time last year I looked into it and the reviews were not great. I will def check it out though, once I finish Outer Wilds and tire of Outriders.

i finally decided i had nothing better to buy from the Satisfactory AWESOME shop than the factory cart

i am not convinced it is any faster than running with bladerunners but it sure is entertaining trying to drive it and not fall over

cgg3x9xu8aiz.png

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to Below Zero. No idea how my time will be soon but I'd love to try and speedrun it. I did a bunch of it in EA before they overhauled it completely, so I have some idea of what's in there.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Interesting, this time last year I looked into it and the reviews were not great. I will def check it out though, once I finish Outer Wilds and tire of Outriders.

There was a campaign to review bomb it because the main character is a woman in this one.

No, I'm not exaggerating. The people organizing the review bomb accused the developers of lying because there was a (really bad, ill-considered) poll that asked if players would prefer a 'female protagonist' or 'more focus on content' (paraphrased). The survey came off like you would expect, and the person responsible apologized, but misogynists latched onto that when the main character being a woman was revealed and accused the team of intentionally making a 'bad game' to appease feminists.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I look at Legacy MTG decks and its like

so they just play their whole hand turn 1 right?

Is the pop-in any better on that one? That's my one big issue with Subnautica, amazing landscapes that become a bit less cool because abstract geometry will remain until I get within a couple of meters sometimes.

Not really. Pop in is a long standing complaint I have with Subnautica, and Below Zero suffers from it as well.

I still think it's one of the all time great games, though.

Getting the cyclops was such a pain in my game, there was 2 blueprint fragments i COULD NOT FIND. But once you HAVE the Cyclops? so much fun. Mobile Prawn bay and storage for days? Yes please. I had a mobile scanning lab that I kept in storage and would plop down in various places, looking for fragments and resources. Most Excellent.

There was a campaign to review bomb it because the main character is a woman in this one.

No, I'm not exaggerating. The people organizing the review bomb accused the developers of lying because there was a (really bad, ill-considered) poll that asked if players would prefer a 'female protagonist' or 'more focus on content' (paraphrased). The survey came off like you would expect, and the person responsible apologized, but misogynists latched onto that when the main character being a woman was revealed and accused the team of intentionally making a 'bad game' to appease feminists.

That's super disappointing but also great to know that shit was manufactured. I never saw any stuff about a female protag but I have no problem believing the crap I was seeing was just a smoke screen for that kind of crap.

I'll definitely give it another look, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.