As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    V1m wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think those things were ever meant to be aimed. You had like, 100 angry pig shepherds with long bows lined up and they all fired em off at once like a medieval artillery barage.

Nope they were absolutely aimable. You practice doing something for thousands of hours, you get good at it.

I am a terrible archer that hasn't held a bow in over 10 years, but when I was shooting I found doing it in a cadence left me with a much better spread of arrows than pausing to aim ever did. Grabbing the arrow, knocking it, pulling it, and then releasing all in a single, fluid yet thoughtless motion let's the part of the brain that is preternatural in physics take over. Even managed to split an arrow while cadence shooting, once.

Veevee on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I don't understand how someone carves with that level of detail. The statue looks like it is draped with a real sheet.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Really small chisels

For all you know, that's true

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That dude heard about Galatea and decided he was taking no chances

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    For many of the more famous sculptors and painters the secret was to have a whole studio of apprentices and other assistants to do fine, tedious, detailed work and polishing and then not give them any credit.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I suspect Ives did those folds himself because if you look at his other scuptures putting extra detailed fabric folds in his sculptures seemed to be a trademark flex of his.

Gundi on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    For many of the more famous sculptors and painters the secret was to have a whole studio of apprentices and other assistants to do fine, tedious, detailed work and polishing and then not give them any credit.

ah so they were the game developers of their days

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I don't understand how someone carves with that level of detail. The statue looks like it is draped with a real sheet.

Do not doubt the power of being really horny

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

To be fair, that's how most of the artists we know got their start.

And then shitheads like Leonardo ruin the curve for anyone by starting brilliant.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Reminds me when I had to do some report on Hans Arp back in university. And you read about him with a bunch of his statements that art and his sculptures are spontaneous and direct inspiration from the head to the hand, expression of the self, blablabla and then his work process was giving his studio workers a bunch of sketches for them to make a sculpture from.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    [4k, 50 fps, colorized] Hindenburgh Zeppelin last trips to New York and disaster. 4:26
    https://youtu.be/sZ-a8pYg7wY

Wonder if Airships would still be around in another timeline if this incident didn't spook people off forever
    We have so many major plane crashes and we are still using them to travel around

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    [4k, 50 fps, colorized] Hindenburgh Zeppelin last trips to New York and disaster. 4:26

Wonder if Airships would still be around in another timeline if this incident didn't spook people off forever
    We have so many major plane crashes and we are still using them to travel around

Probably not. I cant think of anything airships do better than planes.

Also insert classic fact about how planes are one of the safest means of travel.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Also insert classic fact about how planes are one of the safest means of travel.

Also, that Archer episode.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I would love airships though

any skyline is improved by a big ol' dope airship.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

It's kinda cool how mad sexy this is though right like

We think of people from this time as being really repressed

But this statue is hot as hell

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

yeah, there is really no linear progression of "repressed" to "open"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcrV5hc5k3U

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I believe airships would notionally at least fuck the earth to death much less than planes have but ha ha oh well cats rather out of the bag on that one

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

yeah, there is really no linear progression of "repressed" to "open"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcrV5hc5k3U

in America at least, the only reason we feel like people didn't have sex before or during the 1950s is that people in the 1950s worked super hard to convince people of that "fact"

when in fact people were boning constantly before that time period and also all throughout that time period

Houk the Namebringer on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hell just look at ancient Greece. Even setting aside the island of orgies (the island said to be Aphrodite's home) they were absolutely not sexually repressed in any way.

People have always been horny and will always be horny

Madican on
    I remember an interview with an old WW2 vet (don't remember the show/movie/doc it was from) where he was talking about what they did before the war and it was basically "fuck." The interviewer I guess was a little taken aback by it and this old as hell bro was like "nah everybody boned down hard-core back then we just didn't talk about it."

Anecdotal but I feel like that tracks. It wasn't so much the act being considered scandalous as it was talking about it openly.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    romans were pretty prudish comparatively

the idea of orgies everywhere was early christian propaganda intended to make folks in the territories weirded out by people outside the pomerium and biographers who wanted to make certain emperors look worse

• PeasPeas Registered User regular

Not disagreeing with you but we really have no idea how far airship safety and innovations would be pushed if given the time

I wikied the first major aircrash and it took place like 40 years after the Hindenburgh incident and that took away 346 lives, if the airship industry survived up til that point I wonder that would have swung(?) public opinions around

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Not disagreeing with you but we really have no idea how far airship safety and innovations would be pushed if given the time

I wikied the first major aircrash and it took place like 40 years after the Hindenburgh incident and that took away 346 lives, if the airship industry survived up til that point I wonder that would have swung(?) public opinions around

There still are airships built today, they can't transport cargo faster than planes, they are more susceptible to the weather (winds), and if you want to move a lot of cargo slowly trains and ships are still the king.

Really, planes killed the airship. They were able to exist for a shot period of time where they could be the fastest means of safe travel, but in the 30s planes advanced enough that their time was over.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

There’s actually some really cool use cases for hybrid lifting bodies (think huge wing-shaped blimps that get partial lift from buoyancy and partially from being a wing).

The economics just don’t make a whole lot of sense for a huge fleet of them, so the idea goes unused. :(

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I just can't get over that statue

If that was a tinder profile I'd swipe right instantly

Please don't waste the good silverware on severing my aorta just use the cheap stuff it's fine

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

As hot as that statue is, I'm actually more blown away by the skill.

I've spent a couple of weeks trying to sculpt a cloak dramatically blowing in the wind (with polymer clay) and despite being pleased with the result, if I did it every day for the rest of my life I'd never get anywhere near as good as that sculptor.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Just never cheat on her. She will literally kill you.

That's actually fairly terrifying imagining that thing come to life all moving like flesh and cloth but cold and hard as stone

That's actually fairly terrifying imagining that thing come to life all moving like flesh and cloth but cold and hard as stone

yeah i too am extremely turned on by it

wait what did you say?

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

Please don't waste the good silverware on severing my aorta just use the cheap stuff it's fine
    This arrow has your name and the names of all the descendants you aren't going to have on it.

Once the Ottomans have rolled through a person could make a decent nut just digging arrowheads out of dead guys apparently

That's basically the 600 year old Ottoman equivalent of spending $78,000 per Javelin missle.

They probably didn't need to but also you know what fuck you.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Those really look like spear tips more than arrowheads. Obviously I'm no expert. But if they are spearheads, then it could have been a royal guard type situation. Or just some really wealthy ass dudes

e: well they are arrowheads, apparently, but not actually Ottoman.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/24852
    Originally mounted on a wooden shaft, this extremely large arrowhead probably served as a symbol of rank or a baton of command. It is decorated with royal Bohemian monograms and badges in addition to religious invocations in medieval Czech. It bears the monogram AR for Albert, king of Bohemia and Hungary (reigned 1437–39), and also the monogram AE, probably for Albert and Elizabeth, his queen. It is also stamped with the so-called Turkish arsenal mark, indicating that it was captured by Ottoman forces, perhaps in the campaign of 1439 in which Albert was killed, and was subsequently stored in the Turkish arsenal in Constantinople (now Istanbul).

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mean to be fair there was a significant period prior to being "the sick man of europe" where the ottoman empire constantly and consistantly cranked out the dopest shit on the continent in pretty much every field

they were the 1980s japan of their day

if you want to read more about it then I highly recommend this book

2679693.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fine! Maybe I will!

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.