As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That said, Starship Troopers the film turned out to be pretty great anti-fascism satire born out of a book that's kiiiinda really pro-fascist, so perhaps people can be inspired by Heinlein without inheriting his particular proclivities.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    In this spaceship you fuck your mom

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Inspired by [a desire to dunk on] the works of Heinlein

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    "Colony ship CRPG inspired by Heinlein" is a really alarming phrase.

Totally.

It is only my outsized adoration for Age of Decadence that has me considering it at all.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    That said, Starship Troopers the film turned out to be pretty great anti-fascism satire born out of a book that's kiiiinda really pro-fascist, so perhaps people can be inspired by Heinlein without inheriting his particular proclivities.

paul verhoeven really hates fascists and capitalism

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    'inspired by Heinlein' can mean so much. What, exactly, of Heinlein's is the inspiration?

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Mysst wrote: »
    'inspired by Heinlein' can mean so much. What, exactly, of Heinlein's is the inspiration?

Orphans of the Sky, apparently, with which I am unfamiliar.

i believe one of the conceits of Colony Ship is that the ship was designed to colonize a planet, but due to some error its now adrift in space and will never actually arrive anywhere

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

how freaky is the sex?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Age of Decadence might have actually been too much of an oldschool CRPG for me

The Rome inspired setting made it feel like a lock, but I stalled out on it after a dozen hours or so I think

Straightzi wrote: »
    Age of Decadence might have actually been too much of an oldschool CRPG for me

The Rome inspired setting made it feel like a lock, but I stalled out on it after a dozen hours or so I think

I hacked my save files for any of the combat classes to max all my stats, because I couldn't be fucked to git gud at the combat

But man I loved the world, and the reactivity of it, and how drastically differently you moved through the story as the various classes. "A mercenary and a banker will interact with the world in profoundly different ways" should FEEL obvious, but AoD is one of the very very few RPGs I've played that truly embraced that. I had multiple characters that never once swung a sword.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I only made it like 2 hours in before hitting yet another wall where it felt like I had none of the skills needed to progress

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Oh cool, they unironically used the Not Political™ defense.

It's not even worth putting on the videogame PR bingo card any more, it comes up every time.

Definitely the free square

• KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

Giant colony ship hurtling through space. A mutiny happens at some point and generations later, the survivors have forgotten pretty much everything that has happened and think the Ship is their entire world. Mutations occur in the population and most are killed but some live in a separate part of the ship. Conflict between the two groups occur.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Deathloop got delayed to September 14th

Kamiro wrote: »

Giant colony ship hurtling through space. A mutiny happens at some point and generations later, the survivors have forgotten pretty much everything that has happened and think the Ship is their entire world. Mutations occur in the population and most are killed but some live in a separate part of the ship. Conflict between the two groups occur.

I mean, that sounds like a videogame-ass videogame story

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular

Sounds like the film Pandorum. Which was not good, but ark ship with mutants drifting long term.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    To tie that back to the Wolfenstein 2 discussion (a couple levels in spoilers)
    ”Nazis have been hiding on your submarine for months and are now trying to flag for help/fight back” was a great conceit for a level.

Perrsun on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Orphans of the Sky is really enhanced by watching its film prequel, Space Mutiny

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I mean, that sounds like a videogame-ass videogame story

This is basically the original Phantasy Star games. Particularly 3.

Edit: In fact this sounds so similar to 3 that I wouldn't be surprised if it was also inspired from that novel.

Donnicton on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Orphans of the Sky is really enhanced by watching its film prequel, Space Mutiny

Blast Hardcheese

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

Blast Hardcheese

butt gunbot

sackchief
    @sackchief
    A new Dragon Quest III speedrun technique has been discovered in Japan, leading to a record of 5 minutes, 53 seconds to complete the game. It involves literally swapping the cartridge with Final Fantasy, Dr. Mario and Kirby and then swapping back. This spawns the final scene.

We are very close to a speedrunning era involving the runner having to own multiple games to speedrun one game.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Brolo wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

Blast Hardcheese

butt gunbot

Mort Throbcock

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

sackchief
    @sackchief
    A new Dragon Quest III speedrun technique has been discovered in Japan, leading to a record of 5 minutes, 53 seconds to complete the game. It involves literally swapping the cartridge with Final Fantasy, Dr. Mario and Kirby and then swapping back. This spawns the final scene.

We are very close to a speedrunning era involving the runner having to own multiple games to speedrun one game.

Well for any%. Any time this shit is discovered it's split off into another category.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm really glad that all the developers are being considerate toward me and my inability to get a PS5 by not releasing any games right now, it's making this difficult period a lot easier.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    So this game Witchery Academy doesn't have a release date beyond "coming soon!", but man it looks like a great concept. what you had a farm sim, except instead of farming apples to make juice you were farming deadly nightshade to make witch concoctions and had a familiar? sign me the fuck up

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Speedrunning's the weirdest fucking hobby

This is not to insult speedrunning. That shit's just wild

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    better than posting

liEt3nH.png
    better than posting

Well what isn't

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Everything is better than posting.

Also, I will never stop posting.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    As a poster I-

steam_sig.png
    better than posting

But you're posting times

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    INAGTP actually holds a handful of WRs for speedposting.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Brolo posts job listings sometimes so this is probably kosher

Going Under developer Aggro Crab is hiring

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    INAGTP actually holds a handful of WRs for speedposting.

i was really in a....heh...Rush for one B)

liEt3nH.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

sackchief
    @sackchief

not even the first one of these this year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-JJa9AofLI

There's a new run for Paper Mario Any% found back in February that has you swap to Ocarina of Time, perform arbitrary code execution in OoT to set up specific data on the N64 Expansion Pak, which neither game actually uses, then swap back to Paper Mario, perform another type of Arbitrary Code Execution in that to make the game read certain data on the Expansion Pak, save that data to your save file, then reload your file which loads you into the ending cutscene.
    https://pastebin.com/E8Kxm1tG

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Deathloop got delayed to September 14th

aw man :(

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i assume that the first time someone figured out the cartridge swap arbitrary code trick runners started testing it with every game combination they could think of

This discussion has been closed.